Marreese Speights

I was watching some highlights from a few years ago and saw Marreese Speights in there. Right now he's playing in China at 31 years old. Last season he was with the Magic. I like the idea of offering him a cheap contract since he's a big who can stretch the floor. He has a really solid 3 point shot and always gives you offense. He isn't known for his defense but he's a big body that would probably be a better match up against bigs like Embiid that are difficult to guard for Bagley. He would be a solid rotation player and cheaper than Willie or Dewayne Dedmon. He's still 31 years old and has a lot of experience in our league.

That would be amusing to have Buddy Buckets and Mo Buckets on the same team.
But he doesn't want to play in the NBA anymore for the veterans minimum. And I'm not sure his one-sided game (offensive contributor and defensive liability) is worth more than the vet min. Especially when scoring does not seem to be our problem.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
That would be amusing to have Buddy Buckets and Mo Buckets on the same team.
But he doesn't want to play in the NBA anymore for the veterans minimum. And I'm not sure his one-sided game (offensive contributor and defensive liability) is worth more than the vet min. Especially when scoring does not seem to be our problem.
Yeah, I agree with you. I think for the most part the Kings are looking for players that have experience at positions of need, and are still young enough to grow with the team. Harrison Barnes anyone? Look, the Kings will have anywhere from enough money to sign one or two solid to good players, to enough money to sign one to two top tier players. I doubt they want to spend any of that money on, or waste a roster spot on a player like Speights. And that's not meant to be a knock on him. He is what he is.

The Kings are in a position right now, where every addition matters. The right additions can help move them up the pecking order in the west. The time for filling out the roster with over the hill players with maybe one or two years of productivity left are over. You go after a player that fits all the criteria your looking for, and if you can't get that player, then you don't waste the money on a player that doesn't fit, just to fill out the roster. The time for slap/dash additions has come to an end.

Gary

All-Star
I was watching some highlights from a few years ago and saw Marreese Speights in there. Right now he's playing in China at 31 years old. Last season he was with the Magic. I like the idea of offering him a cheap contract since he's a big who can stretch the floor. He has a really solid 3 point shot and always gives you offense. He isn't known for his defense but he's a big body that would probably be a better match up against bigs like Embiid that are difficult to guard for Bagley. He would be a solid rotation player and cheaper than Willie or Dewayne Dedmon. He's still 31 years old and has a lot of experience in our league.
Once big men start shooting from outside I get a bit worried. Is he expanding his game or is he so worn down that he cannot go inside anymore and settles for outside jumpers. He was never really that good at grabbing rebounds, so the thought of him sitting out there shooting threes makes him less valuable to me.