Marreese Speights???

After the combine, I saw that Speights wasn't there. Anyone know why? Also does anyone know if he is being brought in for a workout and if there was any general views on him being picked by the kings? I thinking he might be better than Arthur (who had a poor combine).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
After the combine, I saw that Speights wasn't there. Anyone know why? Also does anyone know if he is being brought in for a workout and if there was any general views on him being picked by the kings? I thinking he might be better than Arthur (who had a poor combine).
Typically, the Draft Camp has players who are borderline first-rounders playing. I don't know if they even invite "solid" first-rounders, but if they do such players rarely accept the invitation. Then there are the combine-only invites, which typically covers the consensus top 15 picks or so.

This means that about 15-20 late first-rounders/early second-rounders don't get measured or play. Speights, Rush, Anderson, Budinger, CD-R, Hibbert, Lee and Thompson are just some guys in that 'tweener range. Again, I don't know if they were not invited or turned it down, but it's fairly typical for players in that range to miss Orlando.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Speights skipped the camp.

Here is an article about why he and other players aren't showing up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...YF?slug=jn-badcamp-053108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
The league could have given them a special invite for the testing alone, but I think the league is trying to send a message to future young players that if you don't play, you don't get to come to the camp. Except for the chosen few. It does cost the league a lot of money to put it on, and for the most part, all their getting to watch play are potential 2nd rounders.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
From the various mock's around, Speights has dropped like a rock the last 2 weeks and is now down in 15-30 range but has some work ethic issues or such. Several think he should stay in college one more year. :(