Malone will not play this season

mcsluggo said:
Enlighten me...

If getting a ring isn't a priority for Malone, why did he go to LA last year for pennies?
Read more carefully. Malone doesn't care about a ring as much anymore. He did last year. After this season, and after his knee surgery, and after moving his family and enrolling his children in LA schools, he's more worried about being able to play like Karl Malone than win a ring.

I know you Lakers fans believe that only contracts and $$ are keeping all nba players from seeking out their true higher-calling, moving to la to help the one true team expand upon its legacy, but some of the rest of us OCCASIONALLY see the barest hint of other factors clouding this purist national drive to laker perfection.
This weak generalization is pointless and deflects from the argument. It would be like me saying that Kings fans are in denial that they have chokers for leaders and nothing better to do in Sacramento. Neither generalization has anything to do with the topic at hand.

HndsmCelt said:
Trust me it is not that I DONT read. In this case I just don't belive what I am reading. Malone has proven in the past year that he has NO loyalty to anyone except Malone. He came to LA for one purpose, to be part of the most domant team ever and cakewalk his way to a raing (and maybe the scoring title.) No besides his honer and trustworthyness what rational do you Laker boys ahve to belive him?
I don't remember Malone being some sort of liar, so I'm not sure what has led you to believe he's suddenly going to go anywhere else when he and his agent have repeatedly said he will either play for LA or retire. I can remember these comments being uttered going on 3 months now, and as recently as a few days ago. Nothing has changed, except that his knee may be worse than originally anticipated.

HndsmCelt said:
yeah I saw that article... encouraging for Laker fans I suppose. But a far cry from suiting up in yellow and lavender.
Nope, you are sadly still wrong. If Malone doesn't retire (which I think he very well could), there's no doubt he'll be a Laker. He already told Popovich and McHale no, and the Heat apparently were never serious contenders for Malone's services. Malone's agent reconfirmed (in this article) that the Lakers are the only team he'll play for if he decides to come back to the NBA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KA_2 said:
Nope, you are sadly still wrong. If Malone doesn't retire (which I think he very well could), there's no doubt he'll be a Laker. He already told Popovich and McHale no, and the Heat apparently were never serious contenders for Malone's services. Malone's agent reconfirmed (in this article) that the Lakers are the only team he'll play for if he decides to come back to the NBA.
Ok, how about you back off a bit with the insults? You don't "know" what Malone is going to do, or not going to do, anymore than anybody else does.

And back to the question itself...would it really be great news for the Lakers even if the Mailman was going to come back? The Lakers are not serious contenders this year with or without Malone, and he would team with Vlade and Grant to form the most ancient decrepit frontcourt in league history. He's a recent transplant, so there is very little of the great sentimental send off stuff that would have been there if he had stayed in Utah. And every minute he steals from a younger player is in many ways wasted. He'll be gone next year anyway. What's the point?

Malone impresses me as a man essentially going through a midlife crisis. After two decades with his wife, he decided that her beauty was fading and he was vaguely dissatisfied. So he went out and found what looked to be the prettiest girl he could with which to start a fling. And of course it did not really work out, and she's basically moved on with her life.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Interesting analogy Brick. Your obsedrvation about the decript front line is more than just valid... it would be a concern to any GM with any brains at all. I suppose that also means that Captin Mitch will probably gladly field them.

HndsmCelt said:
Interesting analogy Brick. Your obsedrvation about the decript front line is more than just valid... it would be a concern to any GM with any brains at all. I suppose that also means that Captin Mitch will probably gladly field them.
I don't share the decrepit view. You don't worry about labels so long as Malone can play at the same level as last year. If he can come close to defending the low post as he did last year, Cap'n Mitch should field him without thinking twice.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Gargamel said:
I don't share the decrepit view. You don't worry about labels so long as Malone can play at the same level as last year. If he can come close to defending the low post as he did last year, Cap'n Mitch should field him without thinking twice.
Yes, but the question is...can he play at the same level? Maybe not. In fact, I would doubt it, but only time will tell...if he plays.

Bricklayer said:
And back to the question itself...would it really be great news for the Lakers even if the Mailman was going to come back? The Lakers are not serious contenders this year with or without Malone, and he would team with Vlade and Grant to form the most ancient decrepit frontcourt in league history. He's a recent transplant, so there is very little of the great sentimental send off stuff that would have been there if he had stayed in Utah. And every minute he steals from a younger player is in many ways wasted. He'll be gone next year anyway. What's the point?
I really don't see how the Vlade-Grant-Malone could possibly be any more decrepit than, say, Webber-Miller-Ostertag. With Webber still ailing after a surgery that took place nearly 1.5 years ago and Miller consistently being injured during the 2nd half of the last three regular seasons, your most dependable guy ends up being Greg Ostertag, famous for his blowups, bad attitude and now nursing a bad hand. Age is age, but it's irrelevant when those players aren't dependable, and Webber-Miller-Ostertag are hardly any more dependable over their careers than Malone-Vlade-Grant.

Malone impresses me as a man essentially going through a midlife crisis. After two decades with his wife, he decided that her beauty was fading and he was vaguely dissatisfied. So he went out and found what looked to be the prettiest girl he could with which to start a fling. And of course it did not really work out, and she's basically moved on with her life.
What does this have to do with anything? :confused:

KA_2 said:
Age is age, but it's irrelevant when those players aren't dependable, and Webber-Miller-Ostertag are hardly any more dependable over their careers than Malone-Vlade-Grant.
Would you honestly trade Malone-Vlade-Grant for Webber-Miller-Ostertag? :confused:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KA_2 said:
I really don't see how the Vlade-Grant-Malone could possibly be any more decrepit than, say, Webber-Miller-Ostertag. With Webber still ailing after a surgery that took place nearly 1.5 years ago and Miller consistently being injured during the 2nd half of the last three regular seasons, your most dependable guy ends up being Greg Ostertag, famous for his blowups, bad attitude and now nursing a bad hand. Age is age, but it's irrelevant when those players aren't dependable, and Webber-Miller-Ostertag are hardly any more dependable over their careers than Malone-Vlade-Grant.

What does this have to do with anything? :confused:
Hate to break this to you lakerfan, but Vlade/Grant/Malone average age = 36.7 yrs old and each and every one of them is coming off probably the least effective year of their career. Two of them are currently too injured to suit up. Decrepit is too kind. They are finished.

Meanwhile the Kings Webber/Miller/Tag frontline averages 30 yrs old, has one member coming off a career year and another off a year in which he set a career high in rebounding and had his 2nd highest scoring average. There is no comparison.

P.S. Malone's midlife crisis was just an observation. It was alternately sad and funny to watch. All he needed was to buy himself a bright red convertible sports car and a cheap toupee and it would have been perfect.

Heuge said:
Would you honestly trade Malone-Vlade-Grant for Webber-Miller-Ostertag? :confused:
No, I never said otherwise.

EDIT: Whoops, I had it backwards. If you were trying to say if I'd trade Malone-Vlade-Grant for Webber-Miller-Ostertag, yes, I would indeed trade for that Kings frontcourt.

Bricklayer said:
Hate to break this to you lakerfan, but Vlade/Grant/Malone average age = 36.7 yrs old and each and every one of them is coming off probably the least effective year of their career. Two of them are currently too injured to suit up. Decrepit is too kind. They are finished.
Finished? What does that make Webber then, after missing practice the last few days as well as today's preseason game? By your definition, he's done, no?

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on age. Sure, more susceptable to breaking down, but that's only in comparison to younger players who haven't broken down. That hardly defines Webber, and doesn't really define Miller in the least.

Meanwhile the Kings Webber/Miller/Tag frontline averages 30 yrs old, has one member coming off a career year and another off a year in which he set a career high in rebounding and had his 2nd highest scoring average. There is no comparison.
Yeah, Tag had a tremendous year. :rolleyes:

Yes, Miller is obviously the bright spot. But what's the point if he can't stay healthy when things really get going late in the regular season and into the postseason? Breaking down late three consecutive years when you're that young should be concerning. If it was just last year, that would be another story. It's 3 straight seasons now.

P.S. Malone's midlife crisis was just an observation. It was alternately sad and funny to watch. All he needed was to buy himself a bright red convertible sports car and a cheap toupee and it would have been perfect.
Oh, I see. :D

Last edited:
KA_2 said:
No, I never said otherwise.

EDIT: Whoops, I had it backwards. If you were trying to say if I'd trade Malone-Vlade-Grant for Webber-Miller-Ostertag, yes, I would indeed trade for that Kings frontcourt.
wow

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
KA_2 said:
"Wow" about what? You're surprised I'd take a Webber-Miller-Ostertag frontcourt over a Malone-Divac-Grant frontcourt?
Probably yes. After all who in their right mind would want Webber? Haven't you heard? He is the devil incarnate. ;)

A healthy Webber is a totally different Webber. This Webber is not the same Chris Webber when the Kings almost elminated the Lakers in the WCF. It could very well be that Webber's better days are behind him.

KA_2 said:
"Wow" about what? You're surprised I'd take a Webber-Miller-Ostertag frontcourt over a Malone-Divac-Grant frontcourt?
sorry bout that.. you got me confused with the edit and stuff..

i thought you were saying you'd take malone-grant-divac over webber-ostertag-brad.. :eek: