Malone will not play this season

So I'm guessing this means retirement, right? I hope he doesn't embarrass himself more than he already has by coming back after a year off and being completely innefective, for whatever bandwagon he decides to hop on.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1893135

Associated Press
LOS ANGELES -- Karl Malone told the Los Angeles Lakers he's not ready to play, but he didn't rule out returning sometime this season or beyond.

"Karl's not playing, but he's also not retiring," Malone's agent, Dwight Manley, said Friday. "He's leaving his options open. Nothing's carved in stone.

"He will be 100 percent physically in the next couple months and his skills are obviously still great. He still could play this year. Anything's possible -- the door is still open."

The 41-year-old Malone, the second-leading scorer in NBA history, underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in late June. Malone opted out of his $1.65 million contract with the Lakers at season's end, making him a free agent. Several teams, including San Antonio, Minnesota and Miami, expressed interest.

Malone and Manley had lunch with Lakers owner Jerry Buss on Thursday to let him know Malone wouldn't be at training camp, but that he wouldn't sign with another team, either. Buss offered Malone an unspecified job with the Lakers, Manley said.

The Lakers open camp Tuesday at the University of San Diego. Their first preseason game is Oct. 12 against Seattle in Anaheim, and they open the regular season Nov. 2 at home against Denver.

Manley said if Malone does return to play in the NBA, it will only be with the Lakers. "He doesn't want to move his family," the agent said.

After playing 18 seasons for the Utah Jazz, Malone joined the Lakers before last season in search of his first championship. He took a pay cut of about $18 million to sign for $1.5 million.

Lakers spokesman John Black said last week it was his understanding that Malone was at least a couple of months away from being ready to play.

Regarding Buss' offer of another position within the organization, Black said: "I think he was flattered and is inclined to accept, but nothing has been decided."

Malone played in 1,434 of a possible 1,444 regular-season games with the Jazz, but missed 40 games with the Lakers -- 39 after tearing a knee ligament Dec. 21 against Phoenix.

He returned in March, and played a key role as the Lakers reached the NBA Finals before losing to the Detroit Pistons in five games.

Malone reinjured his knee in Game 2 of the finals, was limited in Games 3 and 4 and didn't play in Game 5. The Lakers lost the last three games.

Malone played in 193 straight playoff games with the Jazz and Lakers before having to sit out the last game of the finals.

Considered one of the best power forwards in NBA history, Malone averaged a career-low 13.2 points and 8.7 rebounds in 42 games last season, leaving him with career averages of 25.0 points and 10.1 rebounds.

His 36,928 points in 1,476 games trails only Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who finished his career with 38,387 points in 1,560 games.

Malone grew close with Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant during his only season with the Lakers.

O'Neal was traded in July to the Miami Heat for Lamar Odom, Brian Grant and Caron Butler. Bryant opted out of his contract to become a free agent before signing a seven-year, $136.4 million contract with the Lakers.

JayBird said:
So I'm guessing this means retirement, right? I hope he doesn't embarrass himself more than he already has by coming back after a year off and being completely innefective, for whatever bandwagon he decides to hop on.
I don't know if he embarassed himself last season(if thats what u mean). He played really well. And was instumental in defending Tim Duncan and KG. If he had not been injured it might as well have been a different story in the Finals too, you never know. According to me, he did pretty well. Also he had finished his contract with the Jazz, so signing on with a team he thought had the best chance to win the title is nothing wrong either. He deserved that chance anyway.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Malone WILL paly this season. He is just wisely waiting to see how things shape out, what teams are are clicking andwhat teams are not. I would b very supprised to see him in a Lakers jersey since there are 2 objectives for Malone: Ring and Scoring title. LA is very long shot for a ring, and he would likely end up behind Odom on the benceh so the scoring title would also be a long shot. Look for him to either join up with a favorite to win the championship or team in need of a starting PF whre he rack up points. If he can find both in one team that is where he will be. What a Mercernary!

HndsmCelt said:
Malone WILL paly this season. He is just wisely waiting to see how things shape out, what teams are are clicking andwhat teams are not. I would b very supprised to see him in a Lakers jersey since there are 2 objectives for Malone: Ring and Scoring title. LA is very long shot for a ring, and he would likely end up behind Odom on the benceh so the scoring title would also be a long shot. Look for him to either join up with a favorite to win the championship or team in need of a starting PF whre he rack up points. If he can find both in one team that is where he will be. What a Mercernary!
Issues:

1. Malone has hinted at a Laker return, if at all.
2. Malone's agent has said Laker return, if at all.
3. Buss is gonna try to tuck him away within the org.
4. Scoring title ain't gone happen.
5. Odom will be starting SF.

It's over. He either plays for the Lakers, or no one.

Is anyone but Laker fans really surprised by this? The guy is 41... he may have another comeback in him at some point, but IMO he's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
HndsmCelt said:
Malone WILL paly this season. He is just wisely waiting to see how things shape out, what teams are are clicking andwhat teams are not. I would b very supprised to see him in a Lakers jersey since there are 2 objectives for Malone: ...Ring and Scoring title. LA is very long shot for a ...ring, and he would likely end up behind Odom on the benceh so the scoring title would also be a long shot. Look for him to either join up with a favorite to win the championship or team in need of a starting PF whre he rack up points. If he can find both in one team that is where he will be. What a Mercernary!
Why would Malone be Odom's backup when Odom will start at the 3? Brian Grant will have to take a backseat when Malone comes back.

HndsmCelt said:
I agree with the waiting to see which team is doing well and then jumping on to it. But if he wants to go for the scoring title there is no use waiting, he should go for a weak team as soon as possible.
I think, if at all, he will wait to see which team is doing well and get onboard.
For the scoring title, LA wouldn't be a bad choice, if they are ready to play Odom at SF.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Odom would play SF on a team that had a good big man at the 4 but that is NOT Brian Gran, who will be taking lots of min at Center while Vlade sits.

HndsmCelt said:
Odom would play SF on a team that had a good big man at the 4 but that is NOT Brian Gran, who will be taking lots of min at Center while Vlade sits.
Actually, Mihm will start at center while Vlade heals. Slava can play the 5 too while backing up Grant.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
It's not even a Boozer if Karl decides to deliver the mail in Miami or elsewhere. He has a player option on a second year. He can opt out and none except th folks behind the Orange Curtin would blame him. Last season he played well with knuckel heads who spent more time in press confrences than weight rooms. Now the team has been gutted and handed over to 20 something punk who belives he is the next MJ. Not a very promissing situation if you are a grown man with aspriations of a ring and maybe season that does not resemble a 3 ring circus. Personaly I would not be supprised to see him pop up in Denver, or Detroit... just my thoughts.

what i was exactly referring to as pulling a Boozer was giving his "word" that he'll play for the Lakers but later sign up & play w/ another. Didn't put it clearly so my bad. :)

His priority right now is a ring so ur right...he may just go suit up for teams who are loaded w/ stars or are perceived to be top contenders for this season.

HndsmCelt said:
It's not even a Boozer if Karl decides to deliver the mail in Miami or elsewhere. He has a player option on a second year. He can opt out and none except th folks behind the Orange Curtin would blame him. Last season he played well with knuckel heads who spent more time in press confrences than weight rooms. Now the team has been gutted and handed over to 20 something punk who belives he is the next MJ. Not a very promissing situation if you are a grown man with aspriations of a ring and maybe season that does not resemble a 3 ring circus. Personaly I would not be supprised to see him pop up in Denver, or Detroit... just my thoughts.
Haha, Karl respects Kobe...as hard as it is for some people to believe others actually respect Kobe. His opinions of Shaq have probably changed a little once he spent a year watching how he operated in the weight room / locker room.

Huh, did my previous post get deleted or something.

Anyway, Karl will play for LA or no one, it's very very unlikely he goes anywhere else. You look foolish arguing otherwise.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
KA_2 said:
Huh, did my previous post get deleted or something.

Anyway, Karl will play for LA or no one, it's very very unlikely he goes anywhere else. You look foolish arguing otherwise.
Yout right I am sure that a healthy Mlone will want to end his career riding pine behind second rate playyers on a lottery bound team.

HndsmCelt said:
"You don't have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind blows." Bob Dylan
Good one. Based on Bob Dylan, you're able to tell the future like it's an exact science. I bet you also predicted the Pistons to win it all last year when the season started.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Lamar_Odom said:
Good one. Based on Bob Dylan, you're able to tell the future like it's an exact science. I bet you also predicted the Pistons to win it all last year when the season started.
No, but I did predict the Laker melt down flyng in the face of the "expert" predictions that they would naturlay win the Champinonshipbut would win over 70 games. Admittedly I probaly bat about .500 in my evaluations of trends and likely scenarios, but we shall see who is right on this one.

Yes, indeed, it should be very entertaining when Malone returns to the Lakers and you eat crow. I don't know why you believe Malone's driven solely by the ring when literally everything he has said has indicated it isn't a priority anymore, at least not nearly as much as it used to be. Of course, I'm assuming Malone doesn't retire, which I think he definitely might do.

But he ain't playing for any other team but the Lakers, read a paper or search for news online or something.

KA_2 said:
Yes, indeed, it should be very entertaining when Malone returns to the Lakers and you eat crow. I don't know why you believe Malone's driven solely by the ring when literally everything he has said has indicated it isn't a priority anymore, at least not nearly as much as it used to be. Of course, I'm assuming Malone doesn't retire, which I think he definitely might do.

But he ain't playing for any other team but the Lakers, read a paper or search for news online or something.
Enlighten me...

If getting a ring isn't a priority for Malone, why did he go to LA last year for pennies?

I know you Lakers fans believe that only contracts and $$ are keeping all nba players from seeking out their true higher-calling, moving to la to help the one true team expand upon its legacy, but some of the rest of us OCCASIONALLY see the barest hint of other factors clouding this purist national drive to laker perfection.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
KA_2 said:

Trust me it is not that I DONT read. In this case I just don't belive what I am reading. Malone has proven in the past year that he has NO loyalty to anyone except Malone. He came to LA for one purpose, to be part of the most domant team ever and cakewalk his way to a raing (and maybe the scoring title.) No besides his honer and trustworthyness what rational do you Laker boys ahve to belive him?