Malone fired

He's backing away from it in a hurry, isn't he?

Petey and Mully told me to do it! I swear. I just listen to guys smarter than me.

Not so fun being hated, is it Vivek? He has all the money he could ever need. He wants to be famous now. Right now, it's infamy he has. And that can't be sitting very well with him.

PDA and Mullin made him look like a fool. I don't think he had any idea there'd be backlash like this. If you heard PDA's spin, he made it sound like this was what fans wanted, and probably sold Vivek on that too. And then Vivek found out that wasn't true at all. Almost no one wanted to fire the coach. 5%? Less? Major miscalculation.
I think Vivek was shocked at how strong the reaction was. Let's hope that his back peddling and putting this on Mullin and PDA is a sign that this scared him a bit and he wants no part of that kind of backlash in the future. Sometimes it's best to look like a cheerleader as an owner. We all know you write the checks and make the big hires. It's easier to hire/fire one basketball operations person, the GM when things don't go right. Once you start making yourself responsible for coaches, drafts, etc., the job becomes infinitely more difficult and you would want to have some basketball background to start with. If I wanted to own a law firm, hiring an advisor who was once a lawyer to help me doesn't make me qualified to be a lawyer. Having Mullin in your ear doesn't make you qualified to make basketball decisions.

Final thing is this. Vivek, don't take responsibility for things that went right and shift blame for things that went wrong. Not a good look as a leader. Don't tell us how you saved the franchise and that it was all in chaos before you came in. We won't forget what the Maloofs did. Bringing this up is essentially telling the fans that we don't have a right to criticize your moves. It's your team now. You get credit for getting an arena done and keeping the team here, but you don't get a pass for being a bad owner if that's what you turn out to be.

Just look at the nuggets they were dead in the water started something like 1-9 and that's actually a team who has talent and could have panicked. Did they fire shaw NO now they are looking like they might be in the playoff hunt.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think Vivek was shocked at how strong the reaction was. Let's hope that his back peddling and putting this on Mullin and PDA is a sign that this scared him a bit and he wants no part of that kind of backlash in the future. Sometimes it's best to look like a cheerleader as an owner. We all know you write the checks and make the big hires. It's easier to hire/fire one basketball operations person, the GM when things don't go right. Once you start making yourself responsible for coaches, drafts, etc., the job becomes infinitely more difficult and you would want to have some basketball background to start with. If I wanted to own a law firm, hiring an advisor who was once a lawyer to help me doesn't make me qualified to be a lawyer. Having Mullin in your ear doesn't make you qualified to make basketball decisions.

Final thing is this. Vivek, don't take responsibility for things that went right and shift blame for things that went wrong. Not a good look as a leader. Don't tell us how you saved the franchise and that it was all in chaos before you came in. We won't forget what the Maloofs did. Bringing this up is essentially telling the fans that we don't have a right to criticize your moves. It's your team now. You get credit for getting an arena done and keeping the team here, but you don't get a pass for being a bad owner if that's what you turn out to be.
Okay, that part is just patently untrue. Vivek has said repeatedly that we have the right to criticize and that one thing that defines Kings fans is their passion.

I know it's de rigueur right now to dump on Vivek and PDA, but let's get real. Vivek is a savvy businessman. To think that he didn't know there would most likely be a significant blowback on the Malone firing is naive. From everything I've read about him, Vivek weighs his options, makes his decision and sticks with it. He did so with the Malone hiring AND the Malone firing. He'll continue to do so and that's his right.

To even insinuate at this early in Vivek's ownership that he's a bad owner is ridiculous. He's not a complacent owner, but there is no real indication he's got anything but the best interests of his team and his investment at heart. He's being treated with an abysmal lack of common courtesy and respect that I personally do not think is warranted. Some are even using his daughter as fodder for their invectives. That's just not right (and I'm speaking in general terms now, Livinthedream, and not about you at all...)

People have every right in the world to vent, to voice disapproval, etc. With sports fans, it is almost as much a requirement as going to the games, buying the jerseys, and all the other stuff we do to support our team. All I'm asking is that people not go so far off the deep end they lose sight of the daylight.

Okay, that part is just patently untrue. Vivek has said repeatedly that we have the right to criticize and that one thing that defines Kings fans is their passion.

I know it's de rigueur right now to dump on Vivek and PDA, but let's get real. Vivek is a savvy businessman. To think that he didn't know there would most likely be a significant blowback on the Malone firing is naive. From everything I've read about him, Vivek weighs his options, makes his decision and sticks with it. He did so with the Malone hiring AND the Malone firing. He'll continue to do so and that's his right.

To even insinuate at this early in Vivek's ownership that he's a bad owner is ridiculous. He's not a complacent owner, but there is no real indication he's got anything but the best interests of his team and his investment at heart. He's being treated with an abysmal lack of common courtesy and respect that I personally do not think is warranted. Some are even using his daughter as fodder for their invectives. That's just not right (and I'm speaking in general terms now, Livinthedream, and not about you at all...)

People have every right in the world to vent, to voice disapproval, etc. With sports fans, it is almost as much a requirement as going to the games, buying the jerseys, and all the other stuff we do to support our team. All I'm asking is that people not go so far off the deep end they lose sight of the daylight.
I said IF he turns out to be a bad owner. I didn't say he was.

When fans get upset about a basketball decision and he immediately brings up the fact that he saved the franchise, you tell me why then.

But I agree, I don't think it's ok to go after people personally. I stick to the business related issues.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I said IF he turns out to be a bad owner. I didn't say he was.

When fans get upset about a basketball decision and he immediately brings up the fact that he saved the franchise, you tell me why then.

But I agree, I don't think it's ok to go after people personally. I stick to the business related issues.
In case you missed it, there's a pretty good article above (post #1894) that has more direct quotes from Vivek than I've seen elsewhere. I think it shows that he didn't just make a "Hey, you can't criticize me...I saved the franchise" type comment.

I can't get this issue out of my head...it plagues me all day long. Why? Because I'm one of the many people who felt like we were finally stable and I purchased season tickets. I'm financially invested. I don't know the future...this could all end perfectly well. But it feels TERRIBLE right now. My ticket partner and I both live in Chico and we can't attend all of the games. Selling tickets to games we can't go to has been difficult and now I feel like it will only be worse. Last night's tickets sold for half of their value and only an hour or so before the game....against a great opponent AND on a jersey retirement night. Look at tomorrow night's game. TONS of tickets available and I'm sure mine won't sell. I've donated a lot of my tickets already this year because I couldn't find any buyers. I'm happy to donate to charities, but if this continues, I will absolutely be out next year...before the new arena is even finished.

I guess I'm just shocked that they made such a rash decision that seems to deflate the fan base and devastate the bottom line. It's a business, after all, and I just don't see this as a sound business decision.

PDA should have been fired, you have the best post player in the world along with physical complimentary pieces in Gay and Landry and you want to run up and down. Seriously this crap has my blood boiling, our team is being run by a couple of geeks who wish they could step on the court and now they want to use their nerdy analytics to make every decision. Sick of the nerds trying to take over sports, run the business aspects of the franchise and leave the basketball decisions to actual basketball minds. I'm not saying Malone was perfect but he was doing the best with what he was given and all the players seemed to love him. Now we are a joke franchise again with a rotating door as a coach, the geeks didn't even have a clear plan, man this crap is stupid, an absolute joke.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Also, and I think this might be the unraveling, they misread the defensive progress the team has made. The defense without Cousins or Darren on the floor has been rather poor. There was still defensive work to do. Big leads were lost because the bendh didn't defend and the bench guards were dysfunctional.
This is a good point. Malone was not done creating the structure and order needed on the defensive side of the ball. We'll see if Corbin can keep it together. I certainly hope so.

This is a good point. Malone was not done creating the structure and order needed on the defensive side of the ball. We'll see if Corbin can keep it together. I certainly hope so.
It doesn't even matter, Corbin is on borrowed time, the nerds threw the season away, in the summer they will get their guy and yet again the players will have to acclimate to a new system, cherry picking defense's etc.

Dunno about you guys, but instinct says that Vivek agreed to this firing as a bystander; after that, he initially supported the FO with his "four points", thinking that it wouldn't be that bad. But the fan reaction didn't die down (thanks to you guys...), and now he puts the hot seat on PDA/Mullin, like people do in business: shift the blame. He is slowly going to the fans' side.

I don't think Vivek is pure evil; he's just lost.

It doesn't even matter, Corbin is on borrowed time, the nerds threw the season away, in the summer they will get their guy and yet again the players will have to acclimate to a new system, cherry picking defense's etc.
I never thought I'd find myself in agreement with you this often :)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I can't get this issue out of my head...it plagues me all day long. Why? Because I'm one of the many people who felt like we were finally stable and I purchased season tickets. I'm financially invested. I don't know the future...this could all end perfectly well. But it feels TERRIBLE right now. My ticket partner and I both live in Chico and we can't attend all of the games. Selling tickets to games we can't go to has been difficult and now I feel like it will only be worse. Last night's tickets sold for half of their value and only an hour or so before the game....against a great opponent AND on a jersey retirement night. Look at tomorrow night's game. TONS of tickets available and I'm sure mine won't sell. I've donated a lot of my tickets already this year because I couldn't find any buyers. I'm happy to donate to charities, but if this continues, I will absolutely be out next year...before the new arena is even finished.

I guess I'm just shocked that they made such a rash decision that seems to deflate the fan base and devastate the bottom line. It's a business, after all, and I just don't see this as a sound business decision.
It gets a bit more personal when you make a relatively major monetary investment, doesn't it?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've spent more time than I should have thinking about this whole incident and I can't think of a single rational argument for firing Malone.

So I can only assume that this essentially came down to a power play. Malone was doing things his way, D'Alessandro wanted them done his way and somebody was bound to lose so Pete struck first.

It's the only answer that makes sense to me.

And it's the only answer that gibes with the ridiculous statement that it's "all about the style of play" when all offseason the talk was about how this season was going to be judged on wins and losses. Especially in light of Vivek detailing the fact that his GM and Mullin flew out to see him weeks ago when the Kings were still a surprise team.

If I'm right, I have to think Vivek chose the wrong side here. But that's what happens when one guy has the bosses ear and the other doesn't.

Vivek keeps talking and it just keeps looking worse and worse.

“We said let’s see if we can give coach Malone the best help that we can give him,” Ranadive said. “Let’s get him a great assistant coach, let’s get him a point guard (Darren Collison) who can move the ball, let’s get him more help and then let’s see how that progresses.”

Even though the team started 5-1 and played nine games without center DeMarcus Cousins, things didn’t progress how management wanted. Assistant coach Tyrone Corbin was promoted and is expected to get the Kings to play as Ranadive desires.

And, despite criticism, Ranadive wants the key members of the organization to be able to share ideas, no matter how unconventional.

Ranadive brought up the idea of the Kings cherry-picking, leaving one man back for a 4-on-5 defensive approach, even though cherry-picking is mocked even during pickup games.

“It really talks to how open this organization is,” Ranadive said, “where you can brainstorm and there are no dumb ideas and you can debate different concepts and ideas.”

Ranadive said the cherry-picking idea really isn’t extreme. He said it’s about having a higher probability of scoring when protecting a lead.

“The really good teams do a 5-on-4 cherry-pick, but they call it a leak-out,” Ranadive said. “And you see that happening right now in the NBA. When you’re 10 points ahead and you leak out, and you maintain your lead.”

But in the NBA, players tend to only “leak out” when a shot goes up, and not stay back for an entire possession.

“We have very smart people, and they’re all way smarter than me,” Ranadive said. “If I say something stupid, they’ll tell me it’s stupid.”

Ranadive also disputes that he takes a too hands-on approach with the Kings. “That’s all completely untrue,” he said.

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article4602406.html#storylink=cpy

BTW Vivek, not sure I agree with your "we were in San Quentin, now we're in Motel 6" quote.

Last edited:

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
But Ranadive reportedly has meddled with in-game decisions. Yahoo Sports reported that Ranadive had D’Alessandro give Malone instructions, most notably asking why Malone didn’t play forward Royce White more last season.

White, a former first-round pick of Houston, had been released by Philadelphia after concerns his anxiety disorder prevented him from playing in the NBA. The Kings signed him to two 10-day contracts last season.

“I don’t even know who Royce White is,” Ranadive said. “That’s not something I’m doing.”
I don't buy it for one second that Ranadive doesn't know who Royce White is, after the media attention he got, not to mention you'd think the owner would know who his players are.