Luol Deng salary unload

With the rumor mill turing out LBJ, PG13 and Kawhi to go to the lakers, only way that is possible is lakers need to dump Deng and his 2 year 36mil contract....

What would it take for is to take on Deng.

Ingram? Kuzma? Both? Ball :(

Last edited:
We would need to get the #8 from the Cavs. We get the #8, Lakers get Lebron (after opt-in), and Cavs get Ingram or Ball (their choice). Cavs effectively get Ingram or Ball for the #8. Solid move all around for everbody. I would hate to do business with the Lakers, but Vlade and Magic are buddies, so whatever. Magic and Pelinka, so far, have been pretty straight shooters.

You ask for Ingram and you don't budge. The Lakers super-team window (3ish.. years?) Still wouldn't really affect us all that much when we want to be rolling as a possible contender. Kings are still 2 years away.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd take either one of those players. Deng is gone by time these guys are ready to make the playoffs.
You ask for Ingram and you don't budge. The Lakers super-team window (3ish.. years?) Still wouldn't really affect us all that much when we want to be rolling as a possible contender. Kings are still 2 years away.
Sooooo not the point. You never do anything to make life easier for the Lakers. Ever.

We would need to get the #8 from the Cavs. We get the #8, Lakers get Lebron (after opt-in), and Cavs get Ingram or Ball (their choice). Cavs effectively get Ingram or Ball for the #8. Solid move all around for everbody. I would hate to do business with the Lakers, but Vlade and Magic are buddies, so whatever. Magic and Pelinka, so far, have been pretty straight shooters.
You'd rather have the #8 over Ingram? I'd be dealing straight with the Lakers for Ingram all day long before the 8th pick. Odds are you aren't going to get a player as good as him.

Sooooo not the point. You never do anything to make life easier for the Lakers. Ever.
Business is business VF ;)

Nope. Deng has too much money left on his deal and it would help out the lakers. The Lakers don't have the assets to trade away to make this deal work. I take that back. They do have the assets but they won't part ways with them.

I think there is zero chance of getting Ingram but I think he would be best player on the Kings if he came aboard.
I don't think so either, but if it ever came out that Vlade turned down... say Deng/Ingram for Frank Mason and cited his reason as "We just don't ever want to help the Lakers," I'm pretty sure the Kings would just contract as a franchise from sheer embarrassment of Vlade.

I want the Lakers to suck eternally too. But I'd much rather see us be good. Getting Ingram or Kuzma would make us better, regardless if it helps the Lakers super-team.

The Lakers will likely use 2 out of Kuzma, Ingram and Ball to trade for Kawhi.

Deng's contract will most likely be packaged with future picks which won't be worth much should they land LeBron and Kawhi. Hard pass.

Deng's contract will most likely be packaged with future picks which won't be worth much should they land LeBron and Kawhi. Hard pass.
I think the Lakers have to involve a 3rd team and move Deng and one of Ingram/Ball getting a pick and a player in return. They then take those assets and send them to San Antonio.

No one this off-season, especially with so few players in the market, is going to give up a chance to be aggressive in this market without getting a valuable return. Future Laker picks don't really mean anything if the superteam is formed. Like I don't see Dallas giving up a chance to go get Randle or Boogie to eat Deng for 2 future late 1st round picks right?

My guess would be Ball-Ingram+future picks are the cornerstone of a Kawhi deal. If unloading Deng is all that's stopping them from completing their big 3? They'd ship Kuzma out in a heartbeat to make it happen.

I'd be a little more hesitant to eat Deng for just Kuzma, but I think i'd still do it. Don't think Kuzma has an insanely high ceiling, but he should be a really quality starter for a long time as a new age 4. Seamless fit next to Fox/Buddy/Bogdan and would be a nice compliment to any of the C options (WCS/Giles).

With the rumor mill turing out LBJ, PG13 and Kawhi to go to the lakers, only way that is possible is lakers need to dump Deng and his 2 year 36mil contract....

What would it take for is to take on Deng.

Ingram? Kuzma? Both? Ball :(
It would be nice to fleece the Lakers, but I suspect we could get their first round pick and Deng in a salary dump. I doubt we'd get Ball, Ingram and Kuzma in any such deal. We might be able to persuade them to throw in a young player like Hart or Bryant, but I think their first rounder and Deng would be fair enough.

That's tens of millions of dollars in wasted cap space for 2nd round picks that hardly ever pan out.
I've always wondered why we fans care about wasted cap space. It's not like the Deng or Parsons money would roll over to next year's cap like it can in the NFL, or that franchise changing free agents are lining up to join us. So whether our team spends it or not is irrelevent to us.

Last edited:
No one this off-season, especially with so few players in the market, is going to give up a chance to be aggressive in this market without getting a valuable return. Future Laker picks don't really mean anything if the superteam is formed. Like I don't see Dallas giving up a chance to go get Randle or Boogie to eat Deng for 2 future late 1st round picks right?

My guess would be Ball-Ingram+future picks are the cornerstone of a Kawhi deal. If unloading Deng is all that's stopping them from completing their big 3? They'd ship Kuzma out in a heartbeat to make it happen.

I'd be a little more hesitant to eat Deng for just Kuzma, but I think i'd still do it. Don't think Kuzma has an insanely high ceiling, but he should be a really quality starter for a long time as a new age 4. Seamless fit next to Fox/Buddy/Bogdan and would be a nice compliment to any of the C options (WCS/Giles).
If that were the offer I'd take it.

The Kings need a stretch four. If Doncic is the pick then Kuzma would be an even more perfect fit.

But I don't think the Lakers offer up Kuzma just to get Deng off the books.