Luka Doncic (the 'LET'S RE-LITIGATE THE PICK UNTO PERPETUITY~!' thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As ridiculous as Oubre looked slapping the floor and then immediately getting scored on, he actually did force Luks into a pretty tough shot. Off foot fade away from 16-18 feet isn’t usually a high percentage shot. But Luka is not your typical NBAer.

As an aside, 2nd all star ballot returns came out and Luka is comfortably sitting at #2 in WC front court behind Lebron. It is looking very much like Luka will be starting the All Star game.

i know to some this comparison is blasphemy since these guys are rookies and so young. But would it soften the blow a bit if we drafted this generations Hakeem but passed on Jordan? I mean yeah we might have passed on the best player in the draft but that doesn't mean Bagley can't be great. Maybe time will tell. I mean this season we are way happier with fox even tho last year Mitchell and Tatum got all the love.

i know to some this comparison is blasphemy since these guys are rookies and so young. But would it soften the blow a bit if we drafted this generations Hakeem but passed on Jordan? I mean yeah we might have passed on the best player in the draft but that doesn't mean Bagley can't be great. Maybe time will tell. I mean this season we are way happier with fox even tho last year Mitchell and Tatum got all the love.
We will get over it when the Kings are a perennial deep playoff team with championship aspirations. Until then, we will have near daily reminders we passed up a generational talent.

Damn.. the season this guy is having is giving me very mixed feelings. On the other hand I'm very happy for him, but.. I was so set that he would be the pick @2. It was just so goddamn obvious to me and I had so much time to envision him performing well for us and now it just kills me to see him being so ridiculously good.

It hurts.. He’s becoming the status of a player that IMO you cannot have passed. He’s becoming a superstar that we are going to have to live with passing for a decade, and that sucks
Is he becoming? He's playing this level since two maybe three years now. I remember a quote in the 90s by Don Nelson saying the next MJ would have been born out of the US. LeBron aside, maybe he wasn't that wrong. Let's see...

Good lord the hyperbole in here is over the top. Did any of you actually watch the game tonight or are you just looking at stats?

Yes Luka is a good offensive player but Carlisle spends the whole game hiding him on defense. Tonight for 90% of Luka’s defensive possessions he stood 1 foot from the lane on the low block waiting for a rebound. He didn’t fight through a single screen nor did he stop dribble penetration once!

Dallas has good versatile defenders who can cover for Luka but if he were on our team who exactly would play that role? We already have clutch outside shooters. As for rebounds, it’s not hard getting 8 boards when your sole defensive responsibility is to stand by the key and hunt rebounds.

Luka is a great offensive player but he is no more a generational talent than IT.

Good lord the hyperbole in here is over the top. Did any of you actually watch the game tonight or are you just looking at stats?

Yes Luka is a good offensive player but Carlisle spends the whole game hiding him on defense. Tonight for 90% of Luka’s defensive possessions he stood 1 foot from the lane on the low block waiting for a rebound. He didn’t fight through a single screen nor did he stop dribble penetration once!

Dallas has good versatile defenders who can cover for Luka but if he were on our team who exactly would play that role? We already have clutch outside shooters. As for rebounds, it’s not hard getting 8 boards when your sole defensive responsibility is to stand by the key and hunt rebounds.

Luka is a great offensive player but he is no more a generational talent than IT.
Lol kid goes for 29-8-12 2 turnovers whiles scoring he final 7 for Dallas on a road win you might wanna pick a different night to hate as those are far and few. And 8 boards is a lot when nearly every player is letting DJ get the boards out of fear.

Curry and harden play 0 defense and he’s shown he can play defense in crunch time unlike curry.

I hope by IT to mean Zeke from the bad boys

Pure hate

This is one of the most delusional posts I've ever seen on this forum. Stop embarrassing yourself. Repeat after me: wanting something to be true doesn't make it so.

Might you have been one of the posters before the draft, absolutely adamant that Doncic' ceiling was a less athletic Gordon Hayward? I need to go back to the pre-draft thread one of these days for a good laugh.

Lol kid goes for 29-8-12 2 turnovers whiles scoring he final 7 for Dallas on a road win you might wanna pick a different night to hate as those are far and few. And 8 boards is a lot when nearly every player is letting DJ get the boards out of fear.

Curry and harden play 0 defense and he’s shown he can play defense in crunch time unlike curry.

I hope by IT to mean Zeke from the bad boys

Pure hate
Not hate at all. Did you actually watch the game? It’s a pretty simple question.

This is one of the most delusional posts I've ever seen on this forum. Stop embarrassing yourself. Repeat after me: wanting something to be true doesn't make it so.

Might you have been one of the posters before the draft, absolutely adamant that Doncic' ceiling was a less athletic Gordon Hayward? I need to go back to the pre-draft thread one of these days for a good laugh.
Again did you actually watch the game? Do you even have a clue about what you are saying?

Nothing I posted was opinion. Nor was it some highlight. Unlike you, I actually watched the game from a basketball standpoint not some jock sniffing hero worship. Again Luka spent 90% of the game on defense standing 1 foot from the low block not actually guarding anyone. His sole job on defense was to get rebounds.

Is Luka a good offensive player? Absolutely. Does Carlisle hide Luka on defense like Stevens hid IT? Yep, the entire game.

Again did you actually watch the game? Do you even have a clue about what you are saying?

Nothing I posted was opinion. Nor was it some highlight. Unlike you, I actually watched the game from a basketball standpoint not some jock sniffing hero worship. Again Luka spent 90% of the game on defense standing 1 foot from the low block not actually guarding anyone. His sole job on defense was to get rebounds.

Is Luka a good offensive player? Absolutely. Does Carlisle hide Luka on defense like Stevens hid IT? Yep, the entire game.
Huge congrats on watching the game.

Again, "no more a generational player than IT", have you tried out for a spot beside Skip and Stephen A? Your hot takes would be right up their street.

Huge congrats on watching the game.

Again, "no more a generational player than IT", have you tried out for a spot beside Skip and Stephen A? Your hot takes would be right up their street.
Don’t put words in my mouth. I didn’t make any predictions of the future. Luka may well become a generational player but to be that he has to get better on the defensive end of the floor.

But unlike you I actually watch things before spouting off. I said Carlisle was hiding him on defense last night like Stevens hid IT. Next time try going and actually watch him play. Watch him on the defensive end and you tell me how many screens you saw him fight through or how many times he stopped dribble penetration.

Don’t put words in my mouth. I didn’t make any predictions of the future. Luka may well become a generational player but to be that he has to get better on the defensive end of the floor.

But unlike you I actually watch things before spouting off. I said Carlisle was hiding him on defense last night like Stevens hid IT. Next time try going and actually watch him play. Watch him on the defensive end and you tell me how many screens you saw him fight through or how many times he stopped dribble penetration.
I literally quoted you :rolleyes:

I'm aware he's not a plus defender yet. The irony of you telling me to actually watch him play is lost on you. I have been for years, while plenty on this forum discredited his game because he's European and not a freak athlete. As has been pointed out, Curry, Harden, Nash and plenty more are/were all putrid defensively. I actually think Doncic projects as a better defender than all three given his size and the fact that he's willing to put in effort on that end. We've already seen him make impressive defensive plays against some of the league's best, as posted above (in your words, "go watch him"). He's never going to be a lockdown defender but he's a kid and will improve as his body matures and he learns how to play on that end. Many of the league's best players are just as bad defensively.

Continue burying your head in the sand, though. If you want to solely use last night's game to harp on your point, I'll say that the fact that he dominated down the stretch and led his team to a victory outweighs his defensive struggles. The whole point is to win the game.

I literally quoted you :rolleyes:

I'm aware he's not a plus defender yet. The irony of you telling me to actually watch him play is lost on you. I have been for years, while plenty on this forum discredited his game because he's European and not a freak athlete. As has been pointed out, Curry, Harden, Nash and plenty more are/were all putrid defensively. I actually think Doncic projects as a better defender than all three given his size and the fact that he's willing to put in effort on that end. We've already seen him make impressive defensive plays against some of the league's best, as posted above (in your words, "go watch him"). He's never going to be a lockdown defender but he's a kid and will improve as his body matures and he learns how to play on that end. Many of the league's best players are just as bad defensively.

Continue burying your head in the sand, though. If you want to solely use last night's game to harp on your point, I'll say that the fact that he dominated down the stretch and led his team to a victory outweighs his defensive struggles. The whole point is to win the game.
My quote was

Do you see anything predicting Luka’s ceiling in that quote? IT led Boston to the playoffs in such the same manner so the IT comment was hardly disparaging. But many were comparing him to generational talents like Jordan. He is a long way from that point. His defense isn’t at the level of Curry or Harden at this point but yes he could get there.

From what I see Bagley's game has little in common with Hakeem the Dream, who had one of the most refined post games this game has ever seen. Bagley is a mix between Amare and Bosh.

And that's the crux of the issue here in the player comparisons. Bagley projects to be a very good player, a 22/10 or 20/12 type. But more a support player, 2nd/3rd option type. Luka projects as a clear 1st option. He's already closing games by himself with entire defenses geared towards stopping him and has the offensive system flow thru him. They are different tiers of players.

The player on the Kings roster most comparable to Luka given the above is Fox. Fox projects as a #1 option. He can control the flow. He's a closer. He's a 1v1 player who can draw and create. Bagley at best will be his sidekick, his Robin. That's why Vlade drafted him, to essentially be Nash's Amare. And it might work out that way. Or not.

But Bagley is not a #1 who the Kings are going to try to find a sidekick for. Luka is a #1 the Mavs down the road will have to find a sidekick for.

Hence entirely different tiers of players and the Hakeem comparison does not apply. One is a cornerstone you build around. The other is a player who builds around the cornerstone.

I don't see much Jordan in Luka's game either. He's got this mix of some Steph Curry and Paul Pierce yet can also drop 12 dimes on a team with completely mediocre shooters. He's got some Jason Kidd to him as well with his vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.