Looking ahead to the 2022 Draft

On the other hand, he dropped a 35.5" standing/38" max vert, so that'll make up for quite a bit.
I think he's going to have to play a bunch of center, so I'm not sure, those are somewhat close to big wing measurements of a Harrison Barnes variety. He's strong though and fairly mobile but a wing he's not.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think he's going to have to play a bunch of center, so I'm not sure, those are somewhat close to big wing measurements of a Harrison Barnes variety. He's strong though and fairly mobile but a wing he's not.
He's short for his bulk, but the league isn't really a height-means-everything league at this point. I mean, Draymond is a perfect example of that - he's not a wing either. Liddell has skill and he's actually pretty athletic, so he'll find a way to make it happen.

Why would Liddell have to play a lot at center? He is a PF and I see no reason he can't play that position.

Why would Liddell have to play a lot at center? He is a PF and I see no reason he can't play that position.
Name me the PF that looks like, or plays like him in the playoffs. I think he can and will play some center, the question is how much. Right now, single position players that don't either play PG or C are lacking in value around the league.

Yeah he doesn't move like Williams does. Williams moves more like Tucker.

PJ has better length but he doesn't really use it or take advantage of it.
Yeah I think he's just PJ with shakier shooting, but far better defensive upside/rim protection. Just a bunch of the same qualities on both guys.

Name me the PF that looks like, or plays like him in the playoffs. I think he can and will play some center, the question is how much. Right now, single position players that don't either play PG or C are lacking in value around the league.
The player he reminds me the most of is Tobias Harris. He will be primarily a PF who can swing over and play some SF, especially on defense.

The player he reminds me the most of is Tobias Harris. He will be primarily a PF who can swing over and play some SF, especially on defense.
Liddell? I can see some of it maybe. I don't think he's quite got the dribble pull up game though. That said, most people think Harris was undumpable just this year. Even a player like him is sinking in value. I think Liddell can play some center which will increase his value. A lottery pick? Top 25? All it takes is 1 team I guess but I don't see it.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Liddell? I can see some of it maybe. I don't think he's quite got the dribble pull up game though. That said, most people think Harris was undumpable just this year. Even a player like him is sinking in value. I think Liddell can play some center which will increase his value. A lottery pick? Top 25? All it takes is 1 team I guess but I don't see it.
Harris wasn't undumpable this year because he's horrible, he was undumpable because he's on a really bad contract (averages more than $39M per year for two more years). Harris's play is solid and I'd be surprised to find a team picking under 10 or so that would scoff at getting Harris's career out of the pick. Maybe even 5 or under.

That said Lidell is probably not a lottery pick, but I would guess he'll go somewhere 15-25.

Harris wasn't undumpable this year because he's horrible, he was undumpable because he's on a really bad contract (averages more than $39M per year for two more years). Harris's play is solid and I'd be surprised to find a team picking under 10 or so that would scoff at getting Harris's career out of the pick. Maybe even 5 or under.

That said Lidell is probably not a lottery pick, but I would guess he'll go somewhere 15-25.
And chicken or the egg? He's trending to that bad side of tweener. That's partly why his game and contract have been discredited and a potential warning side to stay away from those types as a foundational piece.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
And chicken or the egg? He's trending to that bad side of tweener. That's partly why his game and contract have been discredited and a potential warning side to stay away from those types as a foundational piece.
"Foundational piece" seems way out of the range of what a team should expect/hope to get in the 15-25 range. If you get a solid rotation guy, you should be happy.

"Foundational piece" seems way out of the range of what a team should expect/hope to get in the 15-25 range. If you get a solid rotation guy, you should be happy.
Yeah, I wasn't referring to Liddell but some have suggested he's lottery talent. Maybe he is, he's a solid pick in the 20's to 2nd round for sure.

And here's your cautionary tale for Sharpe where a high school superstar flames out. Not saying Sharpe will flame out or anything, but it happens far more than people expect.
Brandon Boston is another example. He was ranked somewhere between the 5-8th best prospect for the 2020 class, struggled at Kentucky and fell to the 51st pick. He still looks to have solid potential to be a good NBA player, but clearly didn't live up to projections.

That said, Baldwin ranked between #4-8 in terms of prospects for this year's freshman class. Neither of these guys were ranked #1 as Sharpe was. That seems like a small thing, but most of the guys that were consistent #1 recruits the last 15 years have gone on to be very good NBA players. Of course, Marvin Bagley is one recent example that wasn't.

I don't know how good Shaedon Sharpe can or will be, but the TYPE of player he is makes me a little less nervous that he'll be a bust.

He's a guard with good size for the position. He's physically developed and an NBA level athlete, but his biggest strengths are actually creating space for his shot, scoring, and secondary playmaking.

I'd be more concerned if he was overwhelming lower competition with size, strength, and/or athleticism.

Again, I'm not confident enough in Sharpe to say that for sure the Kings should take him at 4 - just that his profile is that of a useful and potentially very good player.