Looking ahead to the 2022 Draft

I like his feet, feel for the game, and his range. He’s a tough projection. The size and the physicality are unknowns to me. Not sure how both will play out in the NBA. Would feel better if he could turn, score, defend, and pass with his left hand, which would negate the height and physicality issues. Def worth a mid teens to early second pick. I just don’t know if he’s Draymond or another undersized big, who wasn’t able to translate.
Draymond is a bad comparison IMO. Their games just aren't all that similar. A better comparison would be Paul Millsap. Smart, physical defender who knows how to play the game. Can score inside and outside while making few mistakes.

Draymond is a bad comparison IMO. Their games just aren't all that similar. A better comparison would be Paul Millsap. Smart, physical defender who knows how to play the game. Can score inside and outside while making few mistakes.
Draymond in terms of quarterbacking the defense as a small ball 5 and his passing on offense. Better shooter.

I don't see Milsap. Milsap was a rebounder, but not a plus, plus defender. And he could handle for his size, at times playing almost as a three. Liddell doesn't have his handles on offense nor his ability to get his own shot.

Best time of year for me as a Kings fan. I don’t watch much college ball since I moved from the states but start watching videos and such once we know who’s declared and the projected draft order.
Guess I could get behind some Kings playoff action at some point too. Soon I recon.

I've gotten quick glimpses of most of the prospects and honestly the only one that kind of scares me is AJ Griffin.

I heard he had an injury history and honestly he just looked super slow to me.

Beyond that I don't think I would be mad with either

Paolo
Smith
Holmgren
Ivey
Murray
Mathurin
Davis
Sharpe

Dyson Daniels looked solid to me as well.

But yea AJ Griffin kind of scares me

That is great. If we are at 8 as most our highest likely expected odds we get one of Mathurin, Sharpe or Griffin who every falls. If we keep our spot at 7 we can choose from the two…. Assuming Holmgren doesn’t fall.
It's a pipe dream, but Holmgren would be my #1/2 choice next to Smith.

I recently watched a replay of the Gonzaga vs. Santa Clara game to get a better look at SCU guard Jalen Williams. However, the player that popped out in nearly every single possession was... you guessed it, Chet Holmgren. The way he impacts his team's defense is almost Gobert-like. He's very active on that end, always trying to get involved. He has super high IQ which allows him to play without fouling (as much as he can). There were countless possessions where he was originally out of play, but methodically brought his man inside towards the paint, just so he can be in position to help down low.

He'll have to answer for his frame and lack of strength, but he just plays a lot bigger than he is. I think his offense will come in time, but he'd be perfect next to Sabonis.

I've gotten quick glimpses of most of the prospects and honestly the only one that kind of scares me is AJ Griffin.

Paolo
Smith
Holmgren
Ivey
Murray
Mathurin
Davis
Sharpe

I can see that for sure but Griffin is actually starting to become my drop hope. I was waiting for his shot to disappear, and it didn't. Size, defense, and shooting. Defensively he's not quick but he's long and smart with angles. He can handle and is a clever finisher at the rim.

Draymond in terms of quarterbacking the defense as a small ball 5 and his passing on offense. Better shooter.

I don't see Milsap. Milsap was a rebounder, but not a plus, plus defender. And he could handle for his size, at times playing almost as a three. Liddell doesn't have his handles on offense nor his ability to get his own shot.
Millsap was was one of the top defensive forwards for years. He always seemed to finish just outside the all-defensive teams (although, I'm pretty sure he made 1 or 2).

As for his handles, Liddell is a much better shooter and ball-handler than Millsap in college. He had to create his own shot all the time. One of my frustrations watching Ohio St. play was watching Wheeler dribble around for at least half the shot clock before giving it up to Liddell or Branham so they could make something happen.

Millsap was was one of the top defensive forwards for years. He always seemed to finish just outside the all-defensive teams (although, I'm pretty sure he made 1 or 2).

As for his handles, Liddell is a much better shooter and ball-handler than Millsap in college. He had to create his own shot all the time. One of my frustrations watching Ohio St. play was watching Wheeler dribble around for at least half the shot clock before giving it up to Liddell or Branham so they could make something happen.
I don't see the handles on film. He's projected as a small ball 5, who might be able to play as a stretch 4. Milsap had decent enough handles to be 4/3 sometimes playing more 3 than 4. If you're saying that he has that type of handle, he should be a lottery pick, because he would, in theory, be able to play 3, 4, and 5. I just don't see any world where dude can be a three. That's like Vlade saying Bags will play the three someday.

Milsap made a second team, all defense. Once in 2016. He was a good defender, but was mostly on ball, against 4s and 3s. More of the bully type. Liddell, if he translates, will operate as a QB of the defense type like Draymond, his help defense in particular, playing against 5s and 4s.

Last edited:
I don't see the handles on film. He's projected as a small ball 5, who might be able to play as a stretch 4. Milsap had decent enough handles to be 4/3 sometimes playing more 3 than 4. If you're saying that he has that type of handle, he should be a lottery pick, because he would, in theory, be able to play 3, 4, and 5. I just don't see any world where dude can be a three. That's like Vlade saying Bags will play the three someday.

Milsap made a second team, all defense. Once in 2016. He was a good defender, but was mostly on ball, against 4s and 3s. More of the bully type. Liddell, if he translates, will operate as a QB of the defense type like Draymond, his help defense in particular, playing against 5s and 4s.
Millsap in college was strictly a 4. He had no outside shot and very little ball handling skills. It's why he was a second round pick. He was veiwed as a PF in a SF body. He made the adjustments needed to become an above average player at both positions.
Liddell is a PF IMO. He will be able to guard 3s, 4s & 5s. He has the ability to shoot the 3 and can attack the basket from the perimeter, but would need to improve his overall play-making ability to play the 3. I only really care about the shooting and the defense. Personally, I think he would be a higher pick if he was younger. However, I have never really cared about age. Everyone develops at different speeds and for different reasons. I prefer to focus more on how good they are right now.

Millsap in college was strictly a 4. He had no outside shot and very little ball handling skills. It's why he was a second round pick. He was veiwed as a PF in a SF body. He made the adjustments needed to become an above average player at both positions.
Liddell is a PF IMO. He will be able to guard 3s, 4s & 5s. He has the ability to shoot the 3 and can attack the basket from the perimeter, but would need to improve his overall play-making ability to play the 3. I only really care about the shooting and the defense. Personally, I think he would be a higher pick if he was younger. However, I have never really cared about age. Everyone develops at different speeds and for different reasons. I prefer to focus more on how good they are right now.
That's a big leap to assume Lidell will be able to grow his game like Millsap did. I don't see that type of growth, especially when you can tell he's not comfortable going left, pivoting left, scoring left, passing left, blocking with his left hand. If he was more balanced? Maybe.

For every Draymond or Milsap, there are a ton of undersized bigs, who just aren't able to translate. I like him, but I don't think I would touch him until the 20s into the second round.

That's a big leap to assume Lidell will be able to grow his game like Millsap did. I don't see that type of growth, especially when you can tell he's not comfortable going left, pivoting left, scoring left, passing left, blocking with his left hand. If he was more balanced? Maybe.

For every Draymond or Milsap, there are a ton of undersized bigs, who just aren't able to translate. I like him, but I don't think I would touch him until the 20s into the second round.
I didn't say his game will grow as much or even the same way as Milsap's. What I said is that he is his game is closer to Milsap's NBA game than to Draymond's. He also is way ahead Milsap coming out of college. Milsap literally had no SF skills entering into the NBA. Liddell is a better shooter, ball-handler and passer at the same point in his career. Would love to have him on the Kings next season.

I can see that for sure but Griffin is actually starting to become my drop hope. I was waiting for his shot to disappear, and it didn't. Size, defense, and shooting. Defensively he's not quick but he's long and smart with angles. He can handle and is a clever finisher at the rim.
if we are to believe Monte, I don’t think we can expect a freshman unless we end up with a top two pick. He said he wants someone that can help day one as opposed to further down the road. I have to think he wants a more seasoned player with upside ie Murray Matherin or even EJ if we fall to 8

if we are to believe Monte, I don’t think we can expect a freshman unless we end up with a top two pick. He said he wants someone that can help day one as opposed to further down the road. I have to think he wants a more seasoned player with upside ie Murray Matherin or even EJ if we fall to 8
Also, 4 of his 5 picks (Hali, Davion, Woodard,Queta) haven't been freshman, so there's some history avoiding freshman. Seems like he wants some college production/growth.

Paolo
Smith
Holmgren
Ivey
Murray
Mathurin
Davis
Sharpe

Paolo
Smith
Holmgren
Ivey
Murray
Mathurin
Davis
Sharpe

Assuming we draft 7 or 8, Johnny Davis is who I hope is gone before we pick.
Nothing against him as a player, In fact he could be a steal, just hope to not further complicate our crowded backcourt.
Ivey, Sharp and even Mathurin might also be best suited as SG’s but I’m thinking theres more star potential and for Sharpe and Mathurin size to play the 3.

Last edited:
Griffin should help from day 1. If he passed up on that kind of fit and talent then Monte isn't thinking clearly. If the Kings move up I don't have any doubt he's taking one of those younger guys either.

Assuming we draft 7 or 8, Johnny Davis is who I hope is gone before we pick.
Nothing against him as a player, In fact he could be a steal, just hope to not further complicate our crowded backcourt.
Ivey, Sharp and even Mathurin might also be best suited as SG’s but I’m thinking theres more star potential and for Sharpe and Mathurin size to play the 3.
What would complicate the backcourt though? These SG's are all clearly have much higher upside than anything the Kings have at the moment at that spot. They just traded the guy who supposed to be the future and might be staring at the replacement within months of doing so. Luck and strategy sometimes fall right in line. If they can fill the SG spot with a long term piece on a rookie deal heading into the next summer with max space then this is how you win at chess.

What would complicate the backcourt though? These SG's are all clearly have much higher upside than anything the Kings have at the moment at that spot. They just traded the guy who supposed to be the future and might be staring at the replacement within months of doing so. Luck and strategy sometimes fall right in line. If they can fill the SG spot with a long term piece on a rookie deal heading into the next summer with max space then this is how you win at chess.
Really no argument, and judging by past picks I assume fit and position will not play into Montes decision. BPA is a proven strategy.
Maybe i’m wrong but drafting Davis or another SG likely means the end of DDV who I kinda like. I would prefer to have him except a 6th man role but that seems to be an issue. Still hoping for a SF at 7 or 8.

Griffin should help from day 1. If he passed up on that kind of fit and talent then Monte isn't thinking clearly. If the Kings move up I don't have any doubt he's taking one of those younger guys either.
yeh I guess I just don’t have a great feel for Griffin as a prospect. I don’t have a good reason really I just don’t see him as a Monte guy.

Beyond comments on Kings Fans, a few takes on twitter, and some limited browsing on youtube, I haven’t watched any prospects this year. But like many here, I have sadly watched more Kings basketball than the Kings have deserved this year. A F/W who can catch and shoot, maybe move a little without the ball, and genuinely impact the defensive side of the ball is what we need. For that reason, Smith and Murray seem like the most appealing players to me. Tari Eason is interesting because he sounds like he fits the bill defensively and could develop his catch and shoot game – although overall spacing would still be an issue we would need to address with another move. I understand that the people who have actually watched him play do like Holmgren, so I’ll defer to them re his fit here, but his body does seem like it warrants at least some pause. I’m not convinced that missing out on him would be that bad.
"I have sadly watched more Kings basketball than the Kings have deserved this year."

I did not make this mistake this season and am pleased with my use of time elsewhere. Another draft year, another 6,7,8,9 pick - rinse repeat - the Kings have been a bad merry-go-around of way too long. The organization can't figure it out, and cant attract top talent. Will probably watch a bit of NBA playoffs....NBA regular season can't hold hold a candle to NFL regular season. Playoffs get a little closer but not much. Too bad no World Cup in Jun/July, but will be interesting to watch in Winter for an off year. although competing with NFL is a bit annoying.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
"I have sadly watched more Kings basketball than the Kings have deserved this year."

I did not make this mistake this season and am pleased with my use of time elsewhere. Another draft year, another 6,7,8,9 pick - rinse repeat - the Kings have been a bad merry-go-around of way too long. The organization can't figure it out, and cant attract top talent. Will probably watch a bit of NBA playoffs....NBA regular season can't hold hold a candle to NFL regular season. Playoffs get a little closer but not much. Too bad no World Cup in Jun/July, but will be interesting to watch in Winter for an off year. although competing with NFL is a bit annoying.
We don't actually know what the pick will be yet -- there's still a 32% chance it will be in the top 4. And if not for last year's "6,7,8,9 pick" putting the team on his back to win 4 games against fellow lotto teams in just over a week, we might have been sitting in 5th pre-lottery which would have given us a... 42% chance of a top 4 pick. Some people are just complaining for the sake of complaining (or perhaps out of habit).

Since taking over as GM on Sept 17, 2020 Monte McNair:

(1) Fired Luke Walton
(2) Drafted one of the best individual defenders in the NBA
(3) Traded for an All-Star center
(4) Kept all of his future first round picks
(5) Currently has about $55 million in cap space available for the summer of 2023 (based on cap projections)

All of this looks like a tremendous improvement from our last 2 GMs to me and McNair has only had the job for just under 18 months.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We don't actually know what the pick will be yet -- there's still a 32% chance it will be in the top 4. And if not for last year's "6,7,8,9 pick" putting the team on his back to win 4 games against fellow lotto teams in just over a week, we might have been sitting in 5th pre-lottery which would have given us a... 42% chance of a top 4 pick. Some people are just complaining for the sake of complaining (or perhaps out of habit).

(1) Fired Luke Walton
(5) Currently has about $55 million in cap space available for the summer of 2023 (based on cap projections)

All of this looks like a tremendous improvement from our last 2 GMs to me and McNair has only had the job for just under 18 months.
Yeah but he also didn't draft Luka!

(1) Fired Luke Walton

Every year is its more of the same..........the proof has to be in he results. May sound good but means little if they don't compete (shocker) again. They haven't had a good executive since Petrie, and that's not their only problem by a long shot.

(1) Fired Luke Walton

6. Gave a max contract to Fox, who he tried to trade away the year after giving the max, but was unable to, because of the max and poor play.
7. Drafted a guy at 12, who became the Kings most valuable piece, but everyone would’ve drafted him at 12.
8. Traded Cojo and two seconds for Delon Wright, who was traded for Tristan Thompson, who became trade fodder.
9. Has drafted three dudes in the second round. Two of those seconds were relatively early. Two are no longer on the team. The third looks destined to be off the team soon as well.
10. Let Bogi walk for nothing. Could’ve gotten a protected first, which would’ve likely become two seconds had he agreed to take on Snell.
11. Stated the play-in was a goal, post-trade, but failed to make it. Stated the playoffs were a goal before the season, but failed to make it. Entering year three, has a losing record, and will be gone by the deadline if the team sucks by then.

Being better than the previous two GMs isn’t saying much when both of those GMs sucked. He’s producing at a C average right now. Better hope his max player transforms his game this off season or dude is gone by February.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Every year is its more of the same..........the proof has to be in he results. May sound good but means little if they don't compete (shocker) again. They haven't had a good executive since Petrie, and that's not their only problem by a long shot.
I miss playoff basketball too, I hope it's coming soon. I can understand why fans are soured on this team (this owner, this front office, even these players) but Monte hasn't been here long enough to determine if he's bad at his job or not. He hasn't even had a chance to hire a head coach yet -- Walton and Gentry were leftovers who came with the job. He's staking his reputation on building around Fox and Sabonis and a new coach next season. We should know pretty quickly if it's going to work or not. I just don't like that people are already impatient with a first time GM who has had one full off-season and an accelerated one week off-season to completely flip our fortunes. Building the right way takes time.