Looking ahead to the 2022 Draft

I’m so far supportive of Montes approach. What he does with his own coach will tell a lot.
Liddell getting a lot of attention here. Maybe he is the next sleeper 6’7 difference maker PF. Sure wouldn’t mind having another 1st to find out.

6. Gave a max contract to Fox, who he tried to trade away the year after giving the max, but was unable to, because of the max and poor play.
7. Drafted a guy at 12, who became the Kings most valuable piece, but everyone would’ve drafted him at 12.
8. Traded Cojo and two seconds for Delon Wright, who was traded for Tristan Thompson, who became trade fodder.
9. Has drafted three dudes in the second round. Two of those seconds were relatively early. Two are no longer on the team. The third looks destined to be off the team soon as well.
10. Let Bogi walk for nothing. Could’ve gotten a protected first, which would’ve likely become two seconds had he agreed to take on Snell.
11. Stated the play-in was a goal, post-trade, but failed to make it. Stated the playoffs were a goal before the season, but failed to make it. Entering year three, has a losing record, and will be gone by the deadline if the team sucks by then.

Being better than the previous two GMs isn’t saying much when both of those GMs sucked. He’s producing at a C average right now. Better hope his max player transforms his game this off season or dude is gone by February.

7. So he doesn't get credit for drafting Haliburton because everyone would have? 11 teams passed on Hali. The Spurs passed on Hali at #11. Doesn't seem that Hali was a no-brainer to everyone. And even if he was, it is nice to have a GM who didn't whiff the obvious.
8. We had no need for CoJo, and two seconds was a decent price for Wright. Wright came in and played well for us. He was a decent piece, especially for two seconds. I was happy with that trade. The mistake (in my opinion) was trading Wright for Tristan. But the trade for Wright was pretty good.
9. Woodard was awful, but he was almost universally liked on this board on draft day. He was also loved by the media who said the Kings got a steal. Yeah, he was a bust, but at the time he looked like a good pick. A lot of second round picks are busts, but it isn't like he missed on a lottery pick to take someone that no one had ever heard of. Ramsey was a miss. Too early to tell on Queta.
10. "Could’ve gotten a protected first..." So you say. You have said this a lot, and you have never pointed to actual proof (just some "rumors" that were reported). There are rumors that this might be true, but the fact is that none of us know what offer was on the table. If true, it is a miss in the GM's first offseason.
11. So what? Would you rather him rashly trade draft picks to make the playoffs. He improved the team and kept his powder dry. Let's judge him after this offseason. And that he stated that his goal was to make the play in post trade is way out of context. He said he would like to make the play-in, but then said he wanted to build a long term foundation that made sense (I don't have the quote in front of me). I am sure you will quote the first sentence of his answer AGAIN, and then ignore the whole rest of the answer where he gives it context.

6. Gave a max contract to Fox, who he tried to trade away the year after giving the max, but was unable to, because of the max and poor play.
7. Drafted a guy at 12, who became the Kings most valuable piece, but everyone would’ve drafted him at 12.
8. Traded Cojo and two seconds for Delon Wright, who was traded for Tristan Thompson, who became trade fodder.
9. Has drafted three dudes in the second round. Two of those seconds were relatively early. Two are no longer on the team. The third looks destined to be off the team soon as well.
10. Let Bogi walk for nothing. Could’ve gotten a protected first, which would’ve likely become two seconds had he agreed to take on Snell.
11. Stated the play-in was a goal, post-trade, but failed to make it. Stated the playoffs were a goal before the season, but failed to make it. Entering year three, has a losing record, and will be gone by the deadline if the team sucks by then.

Being better than the previous two GMs isn’t saying much when both of those GMs sucked. He’s producing at a C average right now. Better hope his max player transforms his game this off season or dude is gone by February.
I'm very much ready to win this bet as well. Ready to concede our Moody vs Bouknight better rookie year bet? Or do you want to somehow nonsensically try to defend Bouknight over Moody?

7. So he doesn't get credit for drafting Haliburton because everyone would have? 11 teams passed on Hali. The Spurs passed on Hali at #11. Doesn't seem that Hali was a no-brainer to everyone. And even if he was, it is nice to have a GM who didn't whiff the obvious.
8. We had no need for CoJo, and two seconds was a decent price for Wright. Wright came in and played well for us. He was a decent piece, especially for two seconds. I was happy with that trade. The mistake (in my opinion) was trading Wright for Tristan. But the trade for Wright was pretty good.
9. Woodard was awful, but he was almost universally liked on this board on draft day. He was also loved by the media who said the Kings got a steal. Yeah, he was a bust, but at the time he looked like a good pick. A lot of second round picks are busts, but it isn't like he missed on a lottery pick to take someone that no one had ever heard of. Ramsey was a miss. Too early to tell on Queta.
10. "Could’ve gotten a protected first..." So you say. You have said this a lot, and you have never pointed to actual proof (just some "rumors" that were reported). There are rumors that this might be true, but the fact is that none of us know what offer was on the table. If true, it is a miss in the GM's first offseason.
11. So what? Would you rather him rashly trade draft picks to make the playoffs. He improved the team and kept his powder dry. Let's judge him after this offseason. And that he stated that his goal was to make the play in post trade is way out of context. He said he would like to make the play-in, but then said he wanted to build a long term foundation that made sense (I don't have the quote in front of me). I am sure you will quote the first sentence of his answer AGAIN, and then ignore the whole rest of the answer where he gives it context.
7. He doesn't get credit for drafting Haliburton when I would've taken him #1 and this board would've taken him around 4-6. That was a no brainer. If Monte was actively trying to move up to get him, but was unable to, and Hali then fell into his lap, then sure. Monte gets credit. A failure to move up is a constant theme of his. I'm time stamped on Hali for that draft, btw. Was on him before anyone else on this board.

8. Getting rid of two seconds to move Cojo for Delon was okay. Then punting Delon for effectively draft fodder is a poor use of resources.

9. Those seconds that McNair gave away, they could've been used to move up for a player like Herb Jones or Donsumu. I'm time stamped on why I wanted each of those guys in the second round last year. A small market team needs a GM, who has the creativity to identify talent in non-premium areas (the second round, FA, the G-League, overseas). Miami has shown a consistent ability to find gems. Why can't the Kings?

10. It's sourced. No need to go find proof.

11. It's also sourced. Moving goal posts doesn't change the fact that this season was a failure. Failed to make the play offs. Failed to make the play in.

Yhall can sit on your hands and wait for the final grade. Dude has a C and will be gone unless his max player transforms himself this off season. We'll see.

I miss playoff basketball too, I hope it's coming soon. I can understand why fans are soured on this team (this owner, this front office, even these players) but Monte hasn't been here long enough to determine if he's bad at his job or not. He hasn't even had a chance to hire a head coach yet -- Walton and Gentry were leftovers who came with the job. He's staking his reputation on building around Fox and Sabonis and a new coach next season. We should know pretty quickly if it's going to work or not. I just don't like that people are already impatient with a first time GM who has had one full off-season and an accelerated one week off-season to completely flip our fortunes. Building the right way takes time.
If fans had judged Petrie for the same time period, he would've been fired before we had our glory years.

He is mocked in the late teens or early 20s in almost every mock draft. There is no way he goes undrafted. It is more likely that he moves closer to the lottery IMO.
Perhaps. I don't see a smallish PF having a huge wealth of value around the league but all it takes is one team I guess. The question with players like that is why some players like Naz Reid go undrafted and players like Grant Williams go in the first. I'm thinking Grant Williams might hinder someone like Liddell around draft time. I can see plenty of reasons why Liddell would be a solid pick but value is value.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Perhaps. I don't see a smallish PF having a huge wealth of value around the league but all it takes is one team I guess. The question with players like that is why some players like Naz Reid go undrafted and players like Grant Williams go in the first. I'm thinking Grant Williams might hinder someone like Liddell around draft time. I can see plenty of reasons why Liddell would be a solid pick but value is value.
Grant Williams may have been really bad the first couple of seasons but this year he's been one of the Celtics' better rotation guys (his unsustainably high shooting splits may have something to do with that). That said, he was already slightly more suited for the modern NBA than Liddell and was probably still drafted way higher than he should have been at 22nd overall.

I miss playoff basketball too, I hope it's coming soon. I can understand why fans are soured on this team (this owner, this front office, even these players) but Monte hasn't been here long enough to determine if he's bad at his job or not. He hasn't even had a chance to hire a head coach yet -- Walton and Gentry were leftovers who came with the job. He's staking his reputation on building around Fox and Sabonis and a new coach next season. We should know pretty quickly if it's going to work or not. I just don't like that people are already impatient with a first time GM who has had one full off-season and an accelerated one week off-season to completely flip our fortunes. Building the right way takes time.
Its pretty simple in my case, the team actually needs to compete before anymore time or money is spent on them. End of story....

Its almost a trivial criteria - is the team .500 at the beginning of March......? Well exactly 1 Kings team has been .500 in March since 2006 - the 2018-2019 season Kings...its no coincidence that was their closest year since 2006 to playoffs. That team clearly had the club's best chemistry since 2006 that year - but I think the Shumpert trade deep-sixed 'em. He was having poor offensive showings, but the GM/Coach/Organization didn't count on what his toughness and vet leadership was for the young club that year. So their chemistry got disrupted midseason and here we are since that "blip" year, no Kings team as good record-wise by that simple criteria. A .476 winning percentage or better in March - .....get back to that as a starting point,

I probably missed it, but according to the NBC Sports article, this is what Fox and McNair said,

"I think most winning teams are built the same," Fox said. "You got your two, three, maybe four guys and everything else is kind of length and shooting. Just being built like that, I feel like we have a pretty good foundation where we're at, but obviously you can never have too much length and too much shooting in the NBA. That's at a premium."

Kings general manager Monte McNair spoke to reporters on Tuesday and echoed Fox's desire to add more shooting.

"I think there's lots of guys that fit with De'Aaron and [Domantas Sabonis], they're fun and easy to play with," McNair said. "I think we certainly have players on this team that fit great with them and will continue to go like we do every offseason through draft, trade and free agency, we'll continue to try and add others. I think shooting, we can clearly acknowledge, will be a huge priority. It's a priority for every team, but certainly around those two guys. Shooting will be a big one. Length, athleticism, versatility, we've talked about all that as well. Obviously, you want the whole package, but shooting will be a big priority for us."
https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...e-mcnair-aligned-kings-biggest-need-offseason

With that in mind, I think we can easily take any non-shooters or questionable shooters off the board. I know McNair mentioned addressing it through trade and FA, but I think the lotto pick might too valuable to spend it on a misfit like Jaden Ivy or Jalen Duren.

Assuming we get a pick 7-9, Mathurin or Ochai seem to be the best guesses.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I probably missed it, but according to the NBC Sports article, this is what Fox and McNair said,

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...e-mcnair-aligned-kings-biggest-need-offseason

With that in mind, I think we can easily take any non-shooters or questionable shooters off the board. I know McNair mentioned addressing it through trade and FA, but I think the lotto pick might too valuable to spend it on a misfit like Jaden Ivy or Jalen Duren.

The thing about this crop of draft picks is that pretty much anyone in the top ten aside from Paolo or Duren fits the bill. Ivey's even been a solid perimeter shooter for his college career (though not spectacular). If we're somehow in the position where Duren and Ivey are the only options left on the board, I could see Monte trading down to the 12-15 range where Ochai keeps getting slotted to.

Agbaji's shooting is too risky IMO to pick in the top 10. I think it's going to be less than 50/50 whether he can shoot in the NBA or not. You look at enough upper classmen shooting splits throughout their college careers and you start to get a read on who can shoot and who can't. It seems to be a roll of the dice if they figure it out during their junior or senior years while still having iffy 3pt/FT splits.

I think Mathurin is much more of a sure thing if he's still available.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Agbaji's shooting is too risky IMO to pick in the top 10. I think it's going to be less than 50/50 whether he can shoot in the NBA or not. You look at enough upper classmen shooting splits throughout their college careers and you start to get a read on who can shoot and who can't. It seems to be a roll of the dice if they figure it out during their junior or senior years while still having iffy 3pt/FT splits.

Yeah, while it's still early to really figure our Monte's general strategy when it comes to the draft, I do think him choosing Davion rather than reaching a bit on Moody or Ziare despite our obvious need for wings at the time suggests that he'd never reach for Agbaji picking at the 7/8th spot where we're currently slotted. It's probably going to be whichever one of the 4-9 guys is still on the board (Murray, Ivey, Benn, Sharpe, Griffin, Davis) or a trade out of the slot either to a slightly lower position where grabbing Ochai would be viable or for a vet player who can fulfill a role on the team now.

Last edited:
Yeah, while it's still early to really figure our Monte's general strategy when it comes to the draft, I do think him choosing Davion rather than reaching a bit on Moody or Ziare despite our obvious need for wings at the time suggests that he'd never reach for Agbaji picking at the 7/8th spot where we're currently slotted. It's probably going to be whichever one of the 4-9 guys is still on the board (Murray, Ivey, Benn, Sharpe, Griffin, Davis) or a trade out of the slot either to a slightly lower position where grabbing Ochai would be viable or for a vet player who can fulfill a role on the team now.
I think Monte's strategy might've changed now that we have two franchise center pieces to build around. The lotto can't come soon enough.

Agbaji isn't my top choice, but he at least shows a consistent trend of improving his 3pt shot every year. The only thing teams will ask of him is to hit 3s and play defense. That should help because it'll be the only thing he'll be focusing on. I think he's probably a guy that has the potential to shoot 38%+ on 7 attempts a game.

it would be like the Suns reaching for Cam Johnson. However, I think the biggest concern with drafting Agbaji is that if he's not making his 3pt shots, he's not offering much elsewhere.

I think Monte's strategy might've changed now that we have two franchise center pieces to build around. The lotto can't come soon enough.

Agbaji isn't my top choice, but he at least shows a consistent trend of improving his 3pt shot every year. The only thing teams will ask of him is to hit 3s and play defense. That should help because it'll be the only thing he'll be focusing on. I think he's probably a guy that has the potential to shoot 38%+ on 7 attempts a game.

it would be like the Suns reaching for Cam Johnson. However, I think the biggest concern with drafting Agbaji is that if he's not making his 3pt shots, he's not offering much elsewhere.
That's my main concern with him as well. Not only will he need to shoot, but he'll need to shoot really well since he doesn't offer a whole lot else.

I'm not high on Griffin but I'd probably take him before Agbaji since his shot seems like more of a sure thing and he probably has a higher ceiling as a defender.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
But you're assuming Agbaji would be lower than 7/8 on McNair's board. I wouldn't make that assumption. For example, I'd rather take Agbaji over both Mathurin and Griffin. I don't see anything in their games that screams that they are going to better pros than Agbaji. I think after the first three or so picks, this draft is going to be a total crap-shoot, with some players picked much higher than what is "expected" and others going much lower than what is "expected."

If the Pelicans beat the Clippers tonight, their pick goes to Charlotte. If that happens, this type of trade could intrigue me…

Richaun Holmes

for

Mason Plumlee
PJ Washington
  • Get our PF that fits extremely well next to Sabonis in both skill set and age
  • Get a solid backup C who’s passing could help us run similar sets
  • Get a couple of 1sts to add a couple more young pieces to the core.

If we could add two of Eason, Agbaji, K. Brown, & Liddell with those picks, that would be a pretty nice haul.

But you're assuming Agbaji would be lower than 7/8 on McNair's board. I wouldn't make that assumption. For example, I'd rather take Agbaji over both Mathurin and Griffin. I don't see anything in their games that screams that they are going to better pros than Agbaji. I think after the first three or so picks, this draft is going to be a total crap-shoot, with some players picked much higher than what is "expected" and others going much lower than what is "expected."
Agbaji also has 2 years of NCAA experience on Mathurin and 3 on Griffin. Compare Agbaji's sophomore season to the one Mathurin put up and it paints a different story.

Any scouting report here? Is this a surprise he's declaring?
First time seeing him. The size looks legit and the handles look like they're second only to Banchero for bigs in this draft. Shot looks a little weird, flat, he pushes it. The feel for the game looks good, plays within the flow. The few defensive clips don't look good, however. Based on just this viewing, I don't think he makes it to #7. Probably goes top 5 based on the physical profile and skill set at 18.

First time seeing him. The size looks legit and the handles look like they're second only to Banchero for bigs in this draft. Shot looks a little weird, flat, he pushes it. The feel for the game looks good, plays within the flow. The few defensive clips don't look good, however. Based on just this viewing, I don't think he makes it to #7. Probably goes top 5 based on the physical profile and skill set at 18.
www.nbl.com.au/tv you just need to sign up it's free and you can watch the New Zealand Breakers games in regards to Dieng (I stopped watching NBL a long time ago)

I would have very little concern about Agbaji as a spot shooter or running off screens. As for squaring up guys and shooting, I think Davis is in a separate class in terms of potential. Without defenses hounding him he could be a nightmare one on one.

Any scouting report here? Is this a surprise he's declaring?
Before the season started, he was seen as the best international prospect who could go top 10 in a "weaker draft" if he performed well. However, he immediately struggled in the NBL. He looked very raw, and lost on both ends of the floor. His 3pt shot couldn't fall at all. He started to improve mid-way through the season. He's been able to put it together and looks much more confident and comfortable. Here's a tweet from late March:

After that tweet, he dropped 18pts in one game, then 22pts in another.

Dieng is a 6'10 wing who flashes ball handling and scoring ability. He's not overly athletic, but uses his length and size well. He's good at creating his own shots off the dribble and attacking the rim. However, his 3pt shot is a big work in progress, and he's not an aggressive finisher, relying on his touch and avoids contact. Defensively, he has all the tools to be a solid/good defender.
His offense reminds me of a mix between Scottie Barnes and MPJ (without the elite shooting).

He's a low floor, high ceiling type of player. For the Kings, I think he's probably too much of a project.

I haven't watched any of that french kid with the breakers this year - the TV rights for the NBL changed down here which has made it harder to follow. But do think that NBL performance has been a reasonable predictor of NBA performance for the 3 guys who have entered the draft via the rising stars program (Giddey, LaMelo, and RJ Hampton. I am missing someone?). Giddey and LaMelo have impressed and the skills displayed + stats have translated. RJ Hampton didn't really breakthrough with the Breakers and seems to have the same issues in the NBA.