Looking ahead to the 2022 Draft

After Murray and Mathurin, the door is wide open for me. There are several players that I like, and except for Griffin, most would be considered a bit of a reach, but I'm of the belief, that if you really like a player, and he's sitting there, don't play games, just grab him and go home. So, one of the players that's worked his way into my heart is Dyson Daniels. He's starting to get a lot of buzz of late and rightly so. I stumbled across him watching the G-League Ignite play, and obviously I wasn't watching the team play to see Daniels. At least not at first.

I was there to see Jaden Hardy, who didn't do much to impress me at that point in time. But other players started to stand out, and one of them wad Daniels. Another was Marjon Beauchamp. Both of them appeared to be good defenders, but both needed to work on their 3pt shot. Daniels apparently did. In his last ten games Dyson shot 43.4% from three, and that included a 0 for 7 game. Without that game, he would have shot over 50%. I believe he shot around 74% from the line.

So aside from that, what excites me. Well, he's basically a 6'7" point forward. He's a terrific passer with very good court vision. I'm not saying he's Cade Cunningham, but he has a similar skill set. He also comes with terrific handles and the ability to get anywhere he wants on the floor. He's very good at getting to the basket, and he has every floater you every imagined in his tool bag. He makes layups high off the glass look easy. Now for the best part. He may be the best defender in the draft. If not the best, he's certainly in the top 3.

His 3pt shot still concerns me, but if he can eventually average close to 37/38% in a year or two, you would have yourself a hell of a player. Some mocks look at him as a guard, and he certainly has guard handles, but I think he can play the wing, and having him on the floor with other good passers like Sabonis, Fox and DiVincenzo could be special. He's obviously not my first or second choice at seven, but he's a player with a high ceiling and could be a steal at seven.

Remember, Daniels was playing against grown men, some of which have played in the NBA and others that are fringe NBA players.
Haven't wanted to talk on Daniels because I haven't seen him play live, but he seems to be a favorite of a lot of draft pundits. How would you compare him vs Giddey as a prospect?

Well I would respectfully disagree. I think he's one of the best shooters in this draft, and when you look at the fact that 82% of his shots were contested, and he still shot a high percentage. I can't emphasis enough how bad the guard play was on his team. I lost count of how many times one of his guards dribbled away the shot clock and then passed him the ball with 3 ticks left on it. One shocking stat that I forgot to mention in that post, is that his team ran the pick and roll with Smith a total of two times the entire season. Smith has some work to do to polish his game, but shooting the ball isn't one of his issues.
Oh yeah, no question, I agree with you 100%. He's a good shooter no doubt, but Shard was one of the best shooting F's. That flick release was very unique. The only other comp is Durant, not there's no chance of Jabari getting there but the overall package isn't as of now. I'm not sure there's a perfect comp for him but like Tim Thomas, Smith actually plays physical ball which is a big deal for those stretch guys. Shard was always a little over matched at 4 physically. Smiths spot up form is almost identical to Thomas' as well, they both drag that right foot to the center. Smith is a little more exaggerated though. He might have to speed that up a bit at the next level.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If the Kings do get the 7th pick, I'm hoping Mathurin, Holmgren and Smith (in that order) are gone by the time the Kings pick. There seems to be plenty of good players in this draft without subjecting yourself to high risk prospects.

Yeah, I was going to ask about that. I don’t see much mention of him on these boards but see him as a high draft pick on several mock draft sites.
He’s another guard, but might also serve to push a player of position need down.
Hopefully Baja can give us an update. He's well on these kids years before their college freshman year.

Hopefully Baja can give us an update. He's well on these kids years before their college freshman year.
yes that would be good. I did see that Baja didn’t include him in his mock draft because Sharpe implied he would play a year for Kentucky, but now it seems he will declare.
Not always easy to evaluate a player without college experience but from what i’m reading he’s likely a top five pick so will shake things up a bit.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Here's probably the best breakdown of Shaedon that'll you'll get until Mike Schmitz gets a hold of him:

The thing about Shaedon Sharpe is that he's probably got the highest ceiling in the draft (as in potentially capable of developing into a star point forward a la Luka, Cade, etc.) aside from maybe Jabari Smith. Dude's 6'6" with a 7'0" wingspan at 200+ lbs and doesn't even turn 19 until May 30th. He's got a nice shooting stroke and nice off the dribble feel and he sorta reminds me of AJ Griffin in high school before his athleticism mysteriously up and left him.

Here's probably the best breakdown of Shaedon that'll you'll get until Mike Schmitz gets a hold of him:

The thing about Shaedon Sharpe is that he's probably got the highest ceiling in the draft (as in potentially capable of developing into a star point forward a la Luka, Cade, etc.) aside from maybe Jabari Smith. Dude's 6'6" with a 7'0" wingspan at 200+ lbs and doesn't even turn 19 until May 30th. He's got a nice shooting stroke and nice off the dribble feel and he sorta reminds me of AJ Griffin in high school before his athleticism mysteriously up and left him.
Very interesting. Sounds like a perfect "buy-low" where if he played this year, he would have been in consideration for the #1 overall. But teams are going to be scared of not having the tape and the "risk" tied to that.

I like all the 5-8 prospects, but if you can draft potentially the best "talent" at 7? You do it.

Very interesting. Sounds like a perfect "buy-low" where if he played this year, he would have been in consideration for the #1 overall. But teams are going to be scared of not having the tape and the "risk" tied to that.

I like all the 5-8 prospects, but if you can draft potentially the best "talent" at 7? You do it.
I can't even say one way or another since I don't scout high school players. No idea what percentage of blue chip prospects wind up not being all they're hyped up to be. Could be worth the risk or not depending on the data.

It's impossible to take away much away from highlight reels but it looks like he has a nice step back, although he could have shot 10 for 100 and they just showed us his 10 makes. He seems to have a slow first step, which is concerning. He kind of reminds me of a slightly poor man's Jalen Green in those clips.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I can't even say one way or another since I don't scout high school players. No idea what percentage of blue chip prospects wind up not being all they're hyped up to be. Could be worth the risk or not depending on the data.

It's impossible to take away much away from highlight reels but it looks like he has a nice step back, although he could have shot 10 for 100 and they just showed us his 10 makes. He seems to have a slow first step, which is concerning. He kind of reminds me of a slightly poor man's Jalen Green in those clips.
The distinction there is that Green is 6'4" with a 6'7 wingspan and Sharpe is 6'6"+ with a 7'0" wingspan. Green's definitely the more explosive athlete but Sharpe can play 1/2/3(and maybe even some 4 depending on matchups) while Green's pretty much exclusively a guard. That first step might not beat many 1/2s but it could work against NBA size with NBA spacing much like Cade's has.

The distinction there is that Green is 6'4" with a 6'7 wingspan and Sharpe is 6'6"+ with a 7'0" wingspan. Green's definitely the more explosive athlete but Sharpe can play 1/2/3(and maybe even some 4 depending on matchups) while Green's pretty much exclusively a guard. That first step might not beat many 1/2s but it could work against NBA size with NBA spacing much like Cade's has.
Great length, I wasn’t aware of that…so eventually he’ll play more than just guard.
My guess, we’ll pick 7 and he’ll go 6.

I've just started looking into the draft, but I like this guy as a potential fit at the 4. Great length, imposing defender, can shoot the three. Sounds like a guy we've been trying to trade for this whole year. Faceup game looks pretty bad however. I would play him as a catch-and-shoot big who can focus on being a help defender on the other end.

Last edited:

I've just started looking into the draft, but I like this guy as a potential fit at the 4. Great length, imposing defender, can shoot the three. Sounds like a guy we've been trying to trade for this whole year.
I like Liddell a lot and it might be worth trying to get another first to draft him. I also really like his teammate Malaki Branham. He is just 18 and finished the season very strong. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move up to the low teens in this draft.

I've just started looking into the draft, but I like this guy as a potential fit at the 4. Great length, imposing defender, can shoot the three. Sounds like a guy we've been trying to trade for this whole year. Faceup game looks pretty bad however. I would play him as a catch-and-shoot big who can focus on being a help defender on the other end.
I absolutely loooove EJ Liddell. If we traded back into the first, he'd be my top target. He's a high level rim protector/defender with an incredible motor. Like, this dude is like Davion levels committed on the defensive end. I'm just imagining Davion-DDV-Liddel defensively and what a start that would be to changing the defensive culture for the Kings. If the goal is to find weak-side shotblocking to help out Sabonis.... this dude is it. His athleticism and lateral quickness make him a very switchable 4 and he shouldn't have any issue chasing around small-ball 4's and getting good contests on shooters. 6'7/240 with a 7'0 wing span will let him get some small-ball C. He's very difficult to move off the block and shows excellent verticality when contesting shots.

I have no questions he can be a high level ++ defender, but his offensive game is a bit of a throw-back. He's added more of a jumper, but still pretty inconsistent with his form. Although 73/203 for 35.9% the last 2 seasons is a good sign moving forward. If it goes in, doesn't matter how it looks. His biggest strength is the post-game; very physical with an assortment of nice footwork moves. I don't think he's a super high level playmaker in the traditional sense, but he's a very smart and savy passer. He'll find the open man out of the post and make the right read. Shown good vision from the top of the key. Definite upside spot if things go right. Very shaky handle, don't see it ever being reliable.

He'll need to show he can covert as a C&S threat on offense and he's got quality starter upside as a unique rim-protecting 4. This is the Desmond Bane/Herb Jones/Brandon Clarke of the draft where everyone wonders 50 games in why this dude went 22nd overall and not in the top 10.

I know next to nothing about him but based on size and strengths Draymond Green comes to mind.

I like his feet, feel for the game, and his range. He’s a tough projection. The size and the physicality are unknowns to me. Not sure how both will play out in the NBA. Would feel better if he could turn, score, defend, and pass with his left hand, which would negate the height and physicality issues. Def worth a mid teens to early second pick. I just don’t know if he’s Draymond or another undersized big, who wasn’t able to translate.

I know next to nothing about him but based on size and strengths Draymond Green comes to mind.
Perhaps some Draymond elements defensively being able to be a 4 rim protector that can small-ball 5, but I don't ever see him coming close to the ball-handling/playmaking of Dray. But he's a far more natural scorer and I'd say shooter too than Dray.

The more likely outcome is a better defensive/worse shooting PJ Washington. Maybe some PJ Tucker energy/physicality on defense. PJ a super underrated passer too and I think Liddell will give you similar elements with his game. I think we'll see similar limitations with his scoring; where he'll have games he can pop because there is talent, but he's more likely a 7-9 FGA/game kind of player.

Didn't realize Liddell was only 6'7". Would take a flyer on him if he dropped to us in the 2nd but wouldn't spend a 1st on him
With a great wingspan though and comes in a 240 pound frame. Plenty of tape showing real rim protection. Can't be overtly picky when a rim protection 4 comes along.