live games shown in Great Britain

Hello.
something strange is afoot across the pond, as 3 Sacramento games are being shown on television this week:

Wednesday 00:50 (live channel 5)
Charlotte V Sacramento

Saturday 07:00 ('as-live' Sky Sports 2)
Miami V Sacramento

Sunday 20:30 (live Sky Sports Extra)
Sacramento V Detroit

normally if we're lucky we get at most one Sacramento game per month, but 3 in a week... blimey o'reilly!
anyone else live in these necks of the woods?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
''' said:
Hello.
something strange is afoot across the pond, as 3 Sacramento games are being shown on television this week:

Wednesday 00:50 (live channel 5)
Charlotte V Sacramento

Saturday 07:00 ('as-live' Sky Sports 2)
Miami V Sacramento

Sunday 20:30 (live Sky Sports Extra)
Sacramento V Detroit

normally if we're lucky we get at most one Sacramento game per month, but 3 in a week... blimey o'reilly!
anyone else live in these necks of the woods?
I live in CA but I drive a Triumph... does that count?

So when will we see UK players in the NBA?

http://www.nba.com/uk/british_players.html

This year, British fans have all the more reason to watch the NBA, as we have four players in the league with UK ties, Michael Olowokandi and Ndudi Ebi of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns and Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls.

Michael Olowokandi
(Minnesota Timberwolves)

Olowokandi Michael Olowokandi hails from Hendon, North London. He discovered his talent for basketball relatively late whilst attending Brunel University and chose to pursue a career in the sport despite a promising reputation as a long and triple jumper. Having won a scholarship to Pacific University, Olowokandi was the subject of many scouts' interest before becoming the Number One Draft Pick and signing to the LA Clippers in 1998. Michael was voted one of the leading rookie players of the 1998-9 season. This season Michael will play for the Minnesota Timberwolves alongside such stars as Kevin Garnett.

Steve Nash
(Phoenix Suns)

Nash Born in South Africa of English parentage, Steve Nash could just as easily have become a premiership soccer star as join the NBA. His father John played professional football in England and South Africa and his brother Martin now plays in the Scottish Premier Division. The family emigrated to Canada where Nash excelled in many sports but chose to focus on basketball in order to be able to play sport with his friends. Nash made his NBA debut with the Phoenix Suns in 1996 and moved to the Dallas Mavericks in 1998 where he became a key player together with teammates Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley. At the end of the 2003-04 season Nash was traded to the Phoenix Suns. Perhaps they regretted the decision they made back in '98!.

Nash's basketball career however has not diminished his passion for the beautiful game; during the summer he spent an afternoon training with Tottenham Hotspur. "Watching Spurs train was a complete dream come true for me", he said, "It was an excellent day and something I will never forget".

Luol Deng
(Chicago Bulls)

Deng Deng was born in Sudan where his father served as Minister of Transport before moving to Egypt to avoid Sudan's civil war. While in Egypt he was taught basketball by Manute Bol. In 1993, Deng's father was granted political asylum in England. One of nine children, Deng comes from a basketball loving family. His older brother plays professional basketball in England and his other brother and sisters also play the game.

Deng was considered the second-best US high school player in 2003, behind LeBron James. Drafted by the Phoenix Suns in the 2004 NBA Draft as their seventh overall pick, he was then traded to the Chicago Bulls where he'll play this season.

Ndudi Ebi
(Minnesota Timberwolves)

Ebi Ebi was selected out of high school by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round (26th pick overall) of 2003 NBA Draft.

He was born in England and raised in the small city of Enugu in Nigeria until his family moved to the US (Houston) because of the political climate and in order to offer the family's three children a better education.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
El Paljasso said:
http://www.nba.com/uk/british_players.html

This year, British fans have all the more reason to watch the NBA, as we have four players in the league with UK ties, Michael Olowokandi and Ndudi Ebi of the Minnesota Timberwolves, Steve Nash of the Phoenix Suns and Luol Deng of the Chicago Bulls.

Michael Olowokandi
(Minnesota Timberwolves)

Olowokandi Michael Olowokandi hails from Hendon, North London. He discovered his talent for basketball relatively late whilst attending Brunel University and chose to pursue a career in the sport despite a promising reputation as a long and triple jumper. Having won a scholarship to Pacific University, Olowokandi was the subject of many scouts' interest before becoming the Number One Draft Pick and signing to the LA Clippers in 1998. Michael was voted one of the leading rookie players of the 1998-9 season. This season Michael will play for the Minnesota Timberwolves alongside such stars as Kevin Garnett.

Steve Nash
(Phoenix Suns)

Nash Born in South Africa of English parentage, Steve Nash could just as easily have become a premiership soccer star as join the NBA. His father John played professional football in England and South Africa and his brother Martin now plays in the Scottish Premier Division. The family emigrated to Canada where Nash excelled in many sports but chose to focus on basketball in order to be able to play sport with his friends. Nash made his NBA debut with the Phoenix Suns in 1996 and moved to the Dallas Mavericks in 1998 where he became a key player together with teammates Dirk Nowitzki and Michael Finley. At the end of the 2003-04 season Nash was traded to the Phoenix Suns. Perhaps they regretted the decision they made back in '98!.

Nash's basketball career however has not diminished his passion for the beautiful game; during the summer he spent an afternoon training with Tottenham Hotspur. "Watching Spurs train was a complete dream come true for me", he said, "It was an excellent day and something I will never forget".

Luol Deng
(Chicago Bulls)

Deng Deng was born in Sudan where his father served as Minister of Transport before moving to Egypt to avoid Sudan's civil war. While in Egypt he was taught basketball by Manute Bol. In 1993, Deng's father was granted political asylum in England. One of nine children, Deng comes from a basketball loving family. His older brother plays professional basketball in England and his other brother and sisters also play the game.

Deng was considered the second-best US high school player in 2003, behind LeBron James. Drafted by the Phoenix Suns in the 2004 NBA Draft as their seventh overall pick, he was then traded to the Chicago Bulls where he'll play this season.

Ndudi Ebi
(Minnesota Timberwolves)

Ebi Ebi was selected out of high school by the Minnesota Timberwolves in the first round (26th pick overall) of 2003 NBA Draft.

He was born in England and raised in the small city of Enugu in Nigeria until his family moved to the US (Houston) because of the political climate and in order to offer the family's three children a better education.
Interesting read thanks! may ahve to stop callng Nasha greasy Canadian now... lol. But some how it is funnier to say he combs his hair with canadian bacon than Dingo fat.

ahhhhhhhh in a previous lifetime, that long ago anyways, had a 70 sh*tfire, fun to work on (constantly)- traded up to the tr-6. great roadster.

Cheerio Mate!!

Hello There...My husband and I reside here in England but we are Sacramento natives, and come home every year and soak in as many Kings games as possible. Hubby is in the U.S. Air Force and we have been here for 5 years now in April, and we have 3 more to go!! :eek: I fear I may be certifiably insane by then!! :D Thanks for the info about the games, I knew about the ones on Sky but was not aware of the Channel 5 game....I will be tuning in, and proudly display the dark circles under my eyes the next day. GO KINGS! FEEL THE ROAR!! (haven't heard that one in a while)

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
WhyNotUs? said:
ahhhhhhhh in a previous lifetime, that long ago anyways, had a 70 sh*tfire, fun to work on (constantly)- traded up to the tr-6. great roadster.
Yeah some day I may get a big car... lol. But the litte spitty has run great for me for some time... sure there is the constant tinkering but that is why you get them right?

HndsmCelt said:
Interesting read thanks! may ahve to stop callng Nasha greasy Canadian now... lol. But some how it is funnier to say he combs his hair with canadian bacon than Dingo fat.
But it is really funny if you were to suggest that he used Bovril instead of hair-gel.

El Paljasso said:

Steve Nash
(Phoenix Suns)

Dang, I can't hate him anymore - he's a Spurs fan!

I thought that Ben Gordon was born in London?!

edit: I was right.

Team: Bulls
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 200
Birthdate: 4/4/1983
Birthplace: London, England
College: Connecticut
NBA Debut: 2004

Last edited:
Nash could have been in the premier ship wow, looks like those amarea-nash dunks can't be done by anyone now haha. I do know that steve nash's brother does play pro-soccer for hte Vancouver Whitecaps, although he isn't that good.