Larry Bird thinks we won the trade

Going nowhere *this year* but blowing it up and building around Haliburton is about having the chance to assemble a contender over a 3-5 year window. That’s 3-5 years to *start* competing, which is year 0 for us now. We tore up our runway for contention and moved our playoff window to today as year 0, where ideally we make the playoffs but definitely need to by next year. I trust this FO to find the right head coach and make the right further moves. And I also trust Jerry & Larry’s take. But will be disappointed if this group doesn’t overachieve because for better or worse the Tyrese trade is gonna color how I see things for a long time
i don’t know about you but Id guess many of us didn’t have 3-5 years left in us for what we’ve been watching. Not that we would change teams, but just simply stop watching until they got better. Also, they decreased the prices for season tickets next year which means many gave up on the franchise

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Going nowhere *this year* but blowing it up and building around Haliburton is about having the chance to assemble a contender over a 3-5 year window. That’s 3-5 years to *start* competing, which is year 0 for us now. We tore up our runway for contention and moved our playoff window to today as year 0, where ideally we make the playoffs but definitely need to by next year. I trust this FO to find the right head coach and make the right further moves. And I also trust Jerry & Larry’s take. But will be disappointed if this group doesn’t overachieve because for better or worse the Tyrese trade is gonna color how I see things for a long time
The thing is blowing up around Tyrese is a 3-5 year window we've gone down that road before - in 3 years Tyrese will be on a "max" deal (won't be a true max since losing in Sacramento will keep him from truly maxing out) and if the team isn't there he'll be where Fox is today. It's a treadmill we've been on since 2009-2010 with Tyreke.

Not saying I was totally against that, I just see that maybe its an exercise in futility and selling high on a 12th overall pick 2 years into his tenure hurts emotionally but might actually do what selling high on Rock did in 99.

One team wins championship every year. All this no building around a big man is nonsense. Teams build around there best player. Big men are just harder to come by. 76ers are doing just fine, but it all comes down to talent. Of you have great sgs you build around them, pgs ect. And we are building around fox anyways. Why doesn't he count anymore? We got a freakin allstart 25yeaes old for a guy who although was nice and fun, wasn't winning any games for us. Relax and enjoy the ride. I don't wanna wait 4 more years for Hali to grow hair on his chest I wanna win now!

i wouldn’t say Ty does everything well. His main strength is Bball IQ which is elite and a high percentage 3 pt shot. Outside of that and good but not elite handles he’s pretty average. Not fast, strong, athletic, shot takes long to load, and a poor defender

Also I think a good big men is still extremely important in todays game. Most teams aren’t built like the dubs or can be built like the dubs where they can afford to give up size. Outside of the dubs dynasty, basically every team had a legit big man a la PF/C
And even the Dubs have arguably the best, most versatile big man defender in Draymond that made is all possible.

Yeah.....we've been doing the 3-5 year thing for 15 years and we were still 3-5 years away

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And arguable that the Warriors would have won a title if JR Smith hadn’t submarines Bogut’s ankle. Also - check out the Laker’s championship bubble roster. The talent is in the front court.
Lebron's best position has been power forward/center for the last five or so years now too.

If the argument is that classic, plodding bigs who just back people down and throw hookshots over them aren't important anymore, the answer might be maybe but this league is awash in gigantic hyper-skilled big men.

I'm with Larry!
Sabonis is elite at like 5 or 6 things. Hali's elite at like 2 things.
Domas' screen setting and ability to command double teams is huge!
I also think Mitchell will be a more complete player then Hali in the end, so its nice to see more time open up for him.

Last edited:
I'm with Larry! lol
Sabonis is elite at like 5 or 6 things. Hali's elite at like 2 things.
Domas' screen setting and ability to command double teams is huge!
I also think Mitchell will be a more complete player then Hali in the end, so its nice to see more time open up for him.
I think a lot of kings fans have been sleeping on Mitchell because the offensive efficiency numbers aren’t there yet - in the first part of his rookie year. The dude just has to refine what he’s already doing to make a big leap.

If there's one thing I hate about the modern sports landscape, it's the championship or bust mentality. Would I like the Kings to win the championship? Sure. But I would also like them to play enjoyable basketball first. If this group caps out at a 6-7 seed or whatever, it's still miles ahead of what we're had before and we can at least figure out how to reach that next level while playing at a level that doesn't make me want to bash my brains in.
AGREED! My God, just give me good basketball!

I think big men will never go out of style.
Giannis, Jokic, Randle, and all of the other guys that are large humans with good hands that can handle the ball, pass, shoot, rebound and play defense. A good big man is always better than a good small man.

The old school big men played in the low post with their backs to the basket. Now the 3 is the all the rage. Big men are more skilled than ever before. They can do everything. Jokic is a point center. I love to watch him play.

I think big men will never go out of style.
Giannis, Jokic, Randle, and all of the other guys that are large humans with good hands that can handle the ball, pass, shoot, rebound and play defense. A good big man is always better than a good small man.

The old school big men played in the low post with their backs to the basket. Now the 3 is the all the rage. Big men are more skilled than ever before. They can do everything. Jokic is a point center. I love to watch him play.
I agree, a good guard is easy to come by. Hell, we have one great guard, and 3 good guards already. A great big man is much more rare. There are only a handful of them in the league at Sabonis' level, arguably a top 5 big, and easily a top 10. It's why I was so confused with people hating the trade.

The biggest issue we have in the starting lineup is that we are missing a true PF. If we can snag one in the off-season, or manage to draft one, I think we will be pretty good. As long as we have a good coach, and judging by how well Monte has done so far, I have no doubt he has a good one in mind already.

Last edited: