Kyle Kuzma on the Kings radar (again)?

Barnes and Holmes for Kuzma and Barton works. I don't know if the Wizards would be interested in that deal even with a 2nd rounder or two attached, but it would fix some issues for the Kings.

Kuzma is closer to the Fox/Sabonis timeline and has an additional year on his deal. He's a good defender and floor spacer and keeps the Kings from losing Barnes for nothing.

I wouldn't want to trade Mitchell to do this though.

Barnes and Holmes for Kuzma and Barton works. I don't know if the Wizards would be interested in that deal even with a 2nd rounder or two attached, but it would fix some issues for the Kings.

Kuzma is closer to the Fox/Sabonis timeline and has an additional year on his deal. He's a good defender and floor spacer and keeps the Kings from losing Barnes for nothing.

I wouldn't want to trade Mitchell to do this though.
Spotrac shows him having a player option in 2023 and the linked article calls him a “flight risk” from DC looking for a big market and $20 million or more per year (his option is $13), so I don’t think there’s any benefit in terms of longer term certainty.

Attaching a second but also dumping Holmes? Sure. Mitchell or a first round pick? Absolutely not.

dude12

Hall of Famer
In a deal for any of the core right now? Nah. Doesn’t make sense in potentially upsetting the cart. At best, TD, Holmes and a 2nd…….maybe adding a Lyles instead.

"He wants out," an NBA source said. "He's looking for over $20 million a season and in a big market [or with a contender]."
Not sure he re-signs in Sac as a third option at best. I’d rather keep Davion and re-sign Barnes on a reasonable deal. I don’t think he’s gonna light up the FA market having a down year and turning 31 soon but if we can keep him at 2 years for <$20mm that maintains flexibility vs giving up him and Davion for Kuz to either walk or get severely overpaid

Even though I blame a half dozen other things, I'll never shake that we moved Shump for no real reason as part of the Barnes on-boarding. I would hate to repeat this mistake with Barnes as I don't think he'd be part of any team's long term plans, just an expiring deal.

Honestly if we want Kuzma just sign him when he opts out. He's not getting $20 million and I'd like to make sure he realizes that while he's some other team's problem.

Thinking about it, I’m not even 100% sure that Kuzma is an upgrade over Barnes.
He can more consistently get the key scoring and rebounding production that Barnes gives on his best nights but not often enough. Better defensively. He is an upgrade and a fit.

I’m not sure he’s the type of player I want the Kings to go all in on for that 4 position though. Especially since he’s due to get paid more and can either bolt or get massively overpaid when the Kings still need to lock down Domas.

Kings are also linked to Siakam and that’s a higher impact player and another good fit next to Domas. He can score from anywhere, make plays on both ends, get to the line. It would be a massive pick up if the Kings landed Siakam.

Kuzma is an interesting case. If Washington doesn’t think they can sign him to a new deal they may look to trade him as he is likely to opt out of his current deal this offseason. That does limit his trade value though especially if he is telling people he wants a big market or contender. If the Kings want Kuzma I’d rather they wait until the off-season and offer him the cash.

He isn’t popular among NBA fans it seems but alot of those same folks thought Wiggins was trash too. If given the choice I’d rather give Keegan more of a look and see if he can grow into a top 2-3 scorer. If Monte is confident he can, I’d rather re-sign Barnes as he is willing to be that 4th or 5th option and then upgrade depth via our picks and maybe one more minor signing.

Jeezus, who among the KINGS front office has this unhealthy fascination for Kyle freaking Kuzma?

Didn’t these stupid rumors begin before Monte McNair became GM?? Makes me think it’s a Vivek thing.

Monte can’t be stupid enough to really covet this player, right? Especially at the expense of Davion and HB, it makes zero sense.

They make a lame move like this that accomplishes NOTHING, my interest in the remainder of this season will be in serious jeopardy.

This trade rumor is exactly the type of move Vlade Divac would have made.

Can we trade whomever it is in the KINGS org that covets KK, please??? Seeing his name on this site again makes me want to vomit Day-Glo.

I assume that anyone who played for the Lakers or the Knicks is overrated unless they prove otherwise. If Fox played for either of those teams he'd be a 4-time allstar. A big NO to Kuzma.

Jeezus, who among the KINGS front office has this unhealthy fascination for Kyle freaking Kuzma?

Didn’t these stupid rumors begin before Monte McNair became GM?? Makes me think it’s a Vivek thing.

Monte can’t be stupid enough to really covet this player, right? Especially at the expense of Davion and HB, it makes zero sense.

They make a lame move like this that accomplishes NOTHING, my interest in the remainder of this season will be in serious jeopardy.

This trade rumor is exactly the type of move Vlade Divac would have made.

Can we trade whomever it is in the KINGS org that covets KK, please??? Seeing his name on this site again makes me want to vomit Day-Glo.
Do we really need to get mad at Kings management for a rumor? I guess you could say where there's smoke there's fire, but seems like you're connecting quite a few dots here based on wild speculation.

I assume that anyone who played for the Lakers or the Knicks is overrated unless they prove otherwise. If Fox played for either of those teams he'd be a 4-time allstar. A big NO to Kuzma.
Kuzma has played two years for Washington and is currently averaging 21 7 and 3. Has better advanced stats than Barnes. I’m against a trade because he is a free agent next season but by most accounts he is a better player than HB.

I do think fit has to be considered as we have to develop a pecking order at some point. If Monte thinks Keegan can be a top 3 player on a playoff team than that 20+ mil a year Kuzma will cost might be better spent elsewhere

Do we really need to get mad at Kings management for a rumor? I guess you could say where there's smoke there's fire, but seems like you're connecting quite a few dots here based on wild speculation.
sometimes I wonder if people even watch these players they can’t stand. People on this board wouldn’t touch Wiggins with a ten foot pole even after he had turned it around in golden state and now he is considered one of the better two way players.

Kuz is Keegan 1.0. If you hate him, you hate Keegan. Kings going to punt Mitchell plus a first for him, because treadmilling.

Kuz is Keegan 1.0. If you hate him, you hate Keegan. Kings going to punt Mitchell plus a first for him, because treadmilling.
Kind of. Kuz is obviously a much better athlete with more G skills while Keegan looks like a much more true shooter. You know what I hate? The thought of having your SF/PF spot manned by these two. I think that would crush Keegans career because he'll be the one that has to make up for it. There is a reason that Harrison Barnes has been basically the difference between winning and losing and it's because he's the closest to a true wing that the Kings have. Kuz is a PF.

Now, it's hard not to say there's no smoke from the Kings side but my goodness it feels like Kuz' people have been using the Kings for leverage for awhile now.

Also not keen on Kuzma. I also read in Sactown Royalty where there’s interest in OG Anunoby. That would cost a lot and I don’t see why Toronto would be interested but recon I would.
Not that Monte does it, but I have almost no doubt that Monte is going to see what he can get for a Davion/Keegan package at the deadline. He's also got plenty of salary filler to make a deal work.

I think as of now the Kings need that 2nd guy next to Fox/Domas that gets you 20+ a night w/o a system. Personally, I'd rather look a cheaper option like Randle (maybe cheaper trade wise? he's blowing up again) than Kuz or OG but I think in time it will become clear that the Kings need another iso scoring option. I mean Sabonis even at his peak isn't going to get you 1st option scoring. Brown is already struggling to make sure one of Domas or Fox is on the floor at all times and that is cutting their time together which puts too much pressure on good but not 1st/2nd option types like Monk, TD, and Huerter.

Not that Monte does it, but I have almost no doubt that Monte is going to see what he can get for a Davion/Keegan package at the deadline. He's also got plenty of salary filler to make a deal work.

I think as of now the Kings need that 2nd guy next to Fox/Domas that gets you 20+ a night w/o a system. Personally, I'd rather look a cheaper option like Randle (maybe cheaper trade wise? he's blowing up again) than Kuz or OG but I think in time it will become clear that the Kings need another iso scoring option. I mean Sabonis even at his peak isn't going to get you 1st option scoring. Brown is already struggling to make sure one of Domas or Fox is on the floor at all times and that is cutting their time together which puts too much pressure on good but not 1st/2nd option types like Monk, TD, and Huerter.
That’s an interesting approach, trade away all your promising 1st round picks, including Hali last year to build this team.
I don’t know what Monte might do but agree we need a consistent big 3, and not convinced thats established yet.

HA!

Move on.

(EDIT: I'm gonna elaborate a little bit so I won't be lumped into the status of a "troll". I had an ounce of hope before that you might have just been like some of our other posters who had such a hard time following this franchise that you have a hard time accepting good things when you see them, but if you can't tell the difference between Keegan Murray and Kyle Kuzma, I'd even entertain the thought of excluding any off-the-court conducts for both men, then none of your takes deserve any serious response.)

Last edited:
Also not keen on Kuzma. I also read in Sactown Royalty where there’s interest in OG Anunoby. That would cost a lot and I don’t see why Toronto would be interested but recon I would.
I'd prefer Anunoby too but that article says, "HB, Davion Mitchell and some picks". Twslam07 explained to me in another thread that the Kings can't offer picks until the pick owed to the Hawks conveys.

So if the Kings are not able to trade for Anunoby... he could be a free agent in 2024, if he declines his player option of $19,928,571. If the Front Office is interested in signing him at that time, they will need to make the cap-space available, as well as tap him up so he knows not to re-sign or extend with the Raptors or go elsewhere.

An alternative in 2024 is Herbert Jones. His defense is amazing too and his contract won't be as high as Anunoby.

Last edited:
I'd prefer Anunoby too but that article says, "HB, Davion Mitchell and some picks". Twslam07 explained to me in another thread that the Kings can't offer picks until the pick owed to the Hawks conveys.

So if the Kings are not able to trade for Anunoby... he could be a free agent in 2024, if he declines his player option of $19,928,571. If the Front Office is interested in signing him at that time, they will need to make the cap-space available, as well as tap him up so he knows not to re-sign or extend with the Raptors or go elsewhere.

An alternative in 2024 is Herbert Jones. His defense is amazing too and his contract won't be as high as Anunoby.
I think an Anunoby trade makes the most sense in the off-season where we can attach our 2023 1st to Mitchell and Holmes. Now I don’t think that’s enough value going out (even though Anunoby is an expiring that year). We might have to give up another future pick or swap to make it happen but the advantage of trading for Anunoby is that it makes it much easier to resign Barnes as well (since Anunoby makes ~$18 mil next year).

As for not being able to offer future picks, that’s not entirely true. You just need to word it in a way so that the pick is less specific. Again, the pick owed to ATL could be a 2024 1st, 2025 1st, or 2026 1st. We can’t specifically include a 2024-2027 1st in a trade due to the Stepien rule. However, we can trade a pick that says “Team XYZ is due a 1st two years after the pick conveys to ATL.” This opens the door for Team XYZ to actually receive the 2026 1st or 2027 1st (depending on when the ATL pick conveys) without us being in a position where we traded two 1sts in back to back years.

So technically on 2023 draft night, we can send this draft capital out:
  • 2023 SAC 1st
  • SAC 1st that conveys two years after ATL pick (could be a 2026-2028 1st)
  • SAC 1st that conveys four years after ATL pick (could be a 2028-2030 1st)
We can’t do one that is 6 years after because that would put the range between 2030-2032 and you’re only allowed to trade 1sts 7 years into the future. 2031 and 2032 are 8 and 9 years into the future.

Back to Anunoby though, he’d be a tremendous fit with our team and match the age timeline. A lineup of…

PG - Fox / FA PG
SG - Huerter / Monk / Moneke
SF - Anunoby / Barnes
PF - Murray / Okpala
C - Sabonis / FA C

…seems like a really solid bunch. In the starting lineup, you have a lot of length and defense at SF/PF next to Sabonis, a lot of shooting surrounding Fox and Sabonis, and solid secondary scorers in Huerter, Anunoby, and Murray. Then your bench has two potential 6th man candidates in Monk and Barnes who can easily provide solid offense when our starters are resting.

Last edited: