Kreidler: New expectations accompanied the team's long-awaited success

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11365608p-12280168c.html

New expectations accompanied the team's long-awaited success

By Mark Kreidler -- Bee Sports Columnist
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, November 9, 2004

Allow me to go ahead and quote directly from the horror show itself, if for no other reason than pure entertainment value.On the evening of the first game of the rest of my life as an occasional Kings scribbler, I sidled up to the new head coach and asked what needed to happen for his team to be a playoff contender.

"Here's the way it would have to go," Garry St. Jean replied. "No injuries.

"Walt Williams has a great year. Then we have a shot at the final playoff spot."

The year was 1992. Williams wound up scoring 17 points per game as a rookie.

Sacramento lost a collective 150 player-games to injuries. The starting center was Duane Causwell, then Causie got hurt. You couldn't tell.

The best player was Mitch Richmond. Final tally: 25-57.

And congratulations, Kroger: You're at the top of the Delta pledge class.

I mention all this not to frighten the young children in the audience, who probably are too busy debating whether Rick "Six Straight Playoff Teams" Adelman should be fired to really notice, but rather to explain how representative of the era 25-57 truly was. Bear with me.

Trying hard to fall asleep one recent midnight, I began thumbing through some old Kings media guides and came up with the following: 29, 24, 27, 23, 25, 29, 25, 28.

Wayman Tisdale's resting pulse? Nope: Sacramento's victory totals for the seasons beginning in the fall of 1986 and ending in the spring of 1994, just before 1994-95, when one of Geoff Petrie's early-incarnation squads jumped all the way up to 39-43 and missed the playoffs by a game.

The next year, that same sub-mediocre record was good enough for the eighth seed in the Western Conference and a first-round playoff dispatch by Seattle, after which the Kings promptly descended to 34-48, 27-55 and Stop Me Before I Weep Again.

Then things got better. It happened just ... that ... quuuick.

It's hard to review the carnage of the Kings' 20 seasons in Sacramento without coming off as a common scold toward the winner-come-lately faction of the current fan base. That's a task I'll leave to the true veterans who've been here longer than I - and after all, they do the "you don't know what it was like" thing better than anyone else. They lived and bled it. It's all theirs.

Still, and unquestionably, the conversation has changed. And let us count the ways:

People now discuss the Kings in terms of their playoff seed. They once (and for a long, long time) discussed the Kings in terms of their lottery seed.

They now wonder whether a guy like Chris Webber can take them all the way to an NBA championship. They once wondered, and I am not making this up, whether a guy like Anthony Bonner might be the key to finally getting to the postseason.

They clamor for more playing time for their favorite benchies: Hedo Turkoglu, Gerald Wallace, Bobby Jackson (before he became essentially the 5.5th man).

They once clamored for more Trevor Wilson. Any questions?

It wasn't just bad for all those years, it was absolutely hopeless. It was like trying to find something inside a hallway closet with the door closed. And sunglasses on. At night. In a windowless building. (I'm depressing myself.)

When people argue Adelman's effectiveness now, it's certainly no less valid than a conversation about St. Jean might have been 10 years ago. But the context - my heavens, the context.

The coaching, back in the day, was debated, but in that kind of halfhearted, does-it-even-really-matter? kind of way. Sure, you could bounce Dick Motta in favor of Rex Hughes, or Hughes for St. Jean, or the Saint for Eddie Jordan, but to what end? Jerry Reynolds seemed to coach the team most of the time, anyway, since he was the guy the organization always turned to when an old coach needed to be leaving or the new victim hadn't yet been hired.

It was pretty acidic, and that's in a town that was convening sellout after sellout at the Old Arco (if you have to ask, consider yourself an interloper) and then the New Arco. The New Arco is the one that is now deemed too old, for those keeping score at home.

To be a Kings fan back then, it seemed, was to have love but no hope, enthusiasm but no particular optimism. Sacramentans got ribbed all the time about being denim-clad hayseeds, but ignorant they weren't: They knew Bill Russell was killing the franchise at the time Russell was killing it.

But, shoot, let's not pick on Russ; after all, when a team is losing nearly 60 games much of the time, you could point a finger pretty much any which way and land on someone to share the blame. The ownership was in tatters, the salary cap was a crusher, the rosters seemed to be one collective Pervis Ellison. It never got better until the miraculous day when it finally did.

And now they speak of that day, the lockout-shortened season of 1998-99 that officially began the renaissance in Sacramento, as if it, too, might be on the verge of nostalgia. Kings fans may someday find themselves longingly missing it. Goodness knows they won't miss most of the rest.

piksi

Hall of Famer
HndsmCelt said:
Ah yes yhe "good old days" Now can we get back to blaming Webber demanding Pedja be traded and Adelman be fired?
why not - let me try

It is Webber's fault if Pedja gets traded after Adelman gets fired:eek:.

How about that

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Piksi, we usually just shorten that to the simpler formulation "it is Webber's fault" and let it go at that. ;)
I know but the threads have been so boring lately( Webber's fault) that I just had to kill my time with something.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Laugh out loud quote #1:

I mention all this not to frighten the young children in the audience, who probably are too busy debating whether Rick "Six Straight Playoff Teams" Adelman should be fired to really notice, but rather to explain how representative of the era 25-57 truly was. Bear with me.
Can I get an "amen" for this one?

People now discuss the Kings in terms of their playoff seed. They once (and for a long, long time) discussed the Kings in terms of their lottery seed.

They now wonder whether a guy like Chris Webber can take them all the way to an NBA championship. They once wondered, and I am not making this up, whether a guy like Anthony Bonner might be the key to finally getting to the postseason.

They clamor for more playing time for their favorite benchies: Hedo Turkoglu, Gerald Wallace, Bobby Jackson (before he became essentially the 5.5th man).

They once clamored for more Trevor Wilson. Any questions?

It wasn't just bad for all those years, it was absolutely hopeless.
Say it like you believe it, Mark! ;)

The coaching, back in the day, was debated, but in that kind of halfhearted, does-it-even-really-matter? kind of way. Sure, you could bounce Dick Motta in favor of Rex Hughes, or Hughes for St. Jean, or the Saint for Eddie Jordan, but to what end? Jerry Reynolds seemed to coach the team most of the time, anyway, since he was the guy the organization always turned to when an old coach needed to be leaving or the new victim hadn't yet been hired.
And yes, I agree with this, too:

To be a Kings fan back then, it seemed, was to have love but no hope, enthusiasm but no particular optimism.
And about Bill Russell, one of the 50 all-time greatest players as coach?

They knew Bill Russell was killing the franchise at the time Russell was killing it. But, shoot, let's not pick on Russ; after all, when a team is losing nearly 60 games much of the time, you could point a finger pretty much any which way and land on someone to share the blame. The ownership was in tatters, the salary cap was a crusher, the rosters seemed to be one collective Pervis Ellison.
And then, lest we forget so quickly:

It never got better until the miraculous day when it finally did.

And now they speak of that day, the lockout-shortened season of 1998-99 that officially began the renaissance in Sacramento, as if it, too, might be on the verge of nostalgia. Kings fans may someday find themselves longingly missing it.
You long-time fans...a question, if you please.

At what point did you really start to hope? When did you hear that voice first whisper in your ear, "Hey, wait a minute. These guys are GOOD!" And how many times did you try to shut that voice up before someone locked you up?

We as Kings fans have suffered a little recently, but we've come a long way, baby. Reading Kreidler's article renewed my faith - and all of a sudden it doesn't matter if I SEE all the games or not. I'll either watch on TV or I'll listen via the Internet, but I can no more stop caring about this team than I can stop breathing. And if I DO stop breathing, someone grab the ventilator, at least through the end of the season...

Have I mentioned it lately?

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!

GO KINGS!!!

Mark Kriedler said:
I mention all this not to frighten the young children in the audience, who probably are too busy debating whether Rick "Six Straight Playoff Teams" Adelman should be fired
While some might find that funny at first, you can use that line about ANYTHING, sub a few words.

I mention all this not to frighten the horny teenage girls in the audience, who probably are too busy explaining how Webber is "da bomb"

I mention all this not to frighten the drunken angry hillbillies in the audience, who probably are too busy explaining how Peja is euro trash

I mention all this not to frighten the Mcdonalds-eating trailer trash in the audience, who probably are too busy explaining how Ostertag is just big-boned

That's cheap writing. At least my 'social group' and 'punch-line' were related. The line 'young children' could be used for anything. Yawn.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It was funny, especially in the context of the article AND considering that he didn't have to use ANY nasty stereotypes to make his point: Adelman has taken the team to six straight play-offs. Arguing about firing him at this juncture, after a whole three games, is premature at best and shows a lack of patience generally associated with the "Are we there YET?" crowd aka young children.

I guess Kriedler's article summed up my feelings lately. I've lived through worse times with the Kings and I'm sure they may get bad again someday. But as long as they have people like Petrie and the Maloofs running things, it won't be down long. That really is the common factor in success - organizations that make good decisions.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
peja16 said:
While some might find that funny at first, you can use that line about ANYTHING, sub a few words.

I mention all this not to frighten the horny teenage girls in the audience, who probably are too busy explaining how Webber is "da bomb"

I mention all this not to frighten the drunken angry hillbillies in the audience, who probably are too busy explaining how Peja is euro trash

I mention all this not to frighten the Mcdonalds-eating trailer trash in the audience, who probably are too busy explaining how Ostertag is just big-boned

That's cheap writing. At least my 'social group' and 'punch-line' were related. The line 'young children' could be used for anything. Yawn.
I didn't even take the Kreidler statement as particularly perjorative. Just a remark that older Kings fans have seen much much worse and perhaps have a diffrent persepctive on how bad things can get. Young children = as in age/experience (also a common formulation) as opposed to young children as in immature/stupid.

Bricklayer, your interpretation may be right. It could be taken as an insult though, as myself and VF21 did, especially when you consider his usually optimistic, pro-Kings writing. He has a great reply for hate mail, and managed to cover his butt while possibly taking a jab at some readers. Whether or not he's that clever enough to do that on purpose is debatable. ;)

peja16 said:
I don't agree with your post. However, though I chose not to nit pick, I did feel that I should point out that those of us who were once the "horny teenage girls" that lusted after Chris Webber, are now horny (late)twenty-somethings.

Though there was a time when I would have gladly climbed that man like a tree, I've found that the teenage girls nowadays are not so interested in him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
peja16 said:
Bricklayer, your interpretation may be right. It could be taken as an insult though, as myself and VF21 did, especially when you consider his usually optimistic, pro-Kings writing. He has a great reply for hate mail, and managed to cover his butt while possibly taking a jab at some readers. Whether or not he's that clever enough to do that on purpose is debatable. ;)
I wasn't taking his comments as an insult...

Actually I was pointing out that Kreidler made his point with the harmless use of the phrase "young children" while someone else *cough peja16 cough* had to resort to somewhat nasty stereotypes.

I actually like and respect Mark Kreidler and generally agree with his articles. Even when I don't, I rarely find that he's stepped outside the bounds.

Just setting the record straight.

;)