Kobe at SF position? Odom at the 1?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/10/11/truth.rumors.nba/index.html

The biggest beneficiary of the Phil Jackson-Laker reunion might be Luke Walton. Walton, who signed a two-year deal to stay with the Lakers after becoming a restricted free agent last summer, would play shooting guard, with Kobe Bryant moving to small forward, Lamar Odom running the point, Chris Mihm playing center and Brown taking power forward.
-- Los Angeles Times

Peja better have his D at top notch for Laker games.... :eek:

Warhawk said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/10/11/truth.rumors.nba/index.html

The biggest beneficiary of the Phil Jackson-Laker reunion might be Luke Walton. Walton, who signed a two-year deal to stay with the Lakers after becoming a restricted free agent last summer, would play shooting guard, with Kobe Bryant moving to small forward, Lamar Odom running the point, Chris Mihm playing center and Brown taking power forward.
-- Los Angeles Times

Peja better have his D at top notch for Laker games.... :eek:
Pedja will have no chance but I think Bonzi would guard Kobe and have Pedja guard Odom

That line-up switch, aside from Walton (who's scrappy, but still) would create match-up problems for just about any team. I think with us:

Bibby-Walton (Bench guards probably get some more PT than usual)
Bonzi-Kobe
Peja-Odom
SAR-Brown
Miller-Mihm

I said last year that Walton would probaly have a great season next year...and somebody (not here) said I was crazy....well it looks like Walton maybe getting his opportunity

What I can't believe is the "moves" that the Lakers have made this offseason...with all the FAs they couldn't really scrape up anybody besides McKie...thats it???? really? If Phil gets that roster to really work out and get the Lakers into good positioning he's officially a miracle worker...cuz he's not working with much

Typical SI. Odom is still going to be listed as the SF and Kobe as the SG. Offensively though Lamar will have what Phil calls the initiator role (Pippens old role). He'll have the ball in his hands a lot more. Luke when he comes in will do the same thing. In training camp thus far they have had Kobe playing the wing, off the ball, so I guess to some that appears he's the 3. Still all this Luke starting talk has been over exaggerated. Phil has actually been playing Smush Parker with the starting unit and it appears he will be the starting point guard. He fits into Phil's pressure/trapping scheme's and he's a solid ball handler.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is just Phil Jackson being Phil Jackson.

I know Walton is a good fit for the triangle, but he isn't a solid outside shooter and is a poor defender, especially against guards.

Besides, this lineup would often force Kobe to guard quick PGs and that's a little too much to ask. My guess is that McKie will start, with Smush Parker being a dark horse for the spot.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This wouldn't actually surprise me -- Phil has his system, and it always relies on using bigger players with good passing skills to initiate his offense. With Odom, McKie and now Walton, it could work. That is no title team, but I think people around here are underselling the potential down there a bit. Lot of young guys with potential who are solid fits for Phil's system. Give that team to a different coach and its falls apart, but give it to Phil with the kinds of personnel he likes, and I would not be surprised to see them hanging around on the outside of the playoff race. All depends on how many of the young guys blossom.

Kev.in said:
Smush Parker is awful, there's no way he holds that job down.
I guess we'll see. He's always been more of a combo guard instead of a natural point and it has hurt him sticking with a team. Lakers were impressed by his play in the SPL by being able to apply full court pressure pretty much all game. 6'3 with a 6'10 wingspan and very athletic. He's got the tools to be a good defender and thats why LA is high on him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
kingsfan916 said:
That would be tight Bibby going coast to coast.

Pretend thats Lamar instead of Dirk
Mm, difference being that on the other end of the floor Mike would be forced to guard someone 6'7" or taller. that has always beena huge factor with Phil Jackson -- he punishes your little guards with size and has always keenly understood the value of length on defense and the glass.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Another PJ voodoo manuver. Sorry I'll grant him more respect when his "innovations" result in a average or even a good team playing well. So far what Ihave seen is a guy that can win with a huge tallent advantage.

Sure there are advantages to playing huge guys at the 1 and 2 and entering the ball to play makers, but it has huge prices as well that at best make the move a risk to a wash. Odom is a good ball handelr and this is one interesting way to take advantage of his skills but smartcocahes will rotate defensive assingmments and compensate while creating match up difficulties of their own. Bottom line is that no ammount of voo doo will make the current LA roster in to champions and a few more years of this crap will succesfully reduce PJ's reputation from Guru to coach who used to be smart enough to only play wining hands.

Please put Odom at the 1. His 1 assist to 1 turnover ratio would be a blessing to every team. Not to mention that odom would be the next matador for every point guard in the league.