Klay Thompson fallout: Oubre to Golden State

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Oubre’s going to kill it with them. I hate it.

The money doesn’t effect me, so until that kicks the Warriors in the teeth I don’t care about that aspect.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I actually don't see this as a great improvement for Golden State. Trading for Buddy would of been a much better idea as they are team based on shooting. This makes me think Buddy is not on the trading block at all.
Right. Currently, they’ve got Paschall/Chriss/Wiggins/Oubre all sorta occupying the same role at 3/4 (with lots of minutes at 4 having to go to Dray next to Wiseman) and Poole(?) as their best shooting guard. With their cap situation as it is, whatever move they make is probably going to require moving Wiggins but they might have to give up significant stuff to get someone to take his contract while also giving something of worth back.

I actually don't see this as a great improvement for Golden State. Trading for Buddy would of been a much better idea as they are team based on shooting. This makes me think Buddy is not on the trading block at all.
Eh, not really. They gave up a protected pick in 3 years for a guy who can help them compete in the short-term on an expiring contract. Which makes sense, you only have so many Steph years left, you got to try to put a team that can compete around him while you have the time.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Eh, not really. They gave up a protected pick in 3 years for a guy who can help them compete in the short-term on an expiring contract. Which makes sense, you only have so many Steph years left, you got to try to put a team that can compete around him while you have the time.
The issue is that without Klay, I don‘t think brining in Oubre will make that much of a difference to their chances in the west this year while it could have put them over had Klay come back healthy.

And all the while they added 80 million dollars of luxury tax

The issue is that without Klay, I don‘t think brining in Oubre will make that much of a difference to their chances in the west this year while it could have put them over had Klay come back healthy.

And all the while they added 80 million dollars of luxury tax
Sure, but if the owner doesn't care about the money, Oubre does give you a better chance to win in one of the last few Steph prime years. And you don't have to commit to it for another 4 years like you do with Buddy (ugh).

Except for that small detail that Buddy isn't a good team defender, and the Warriors value defense. Oubre can shoot, is more athletic, and switchable on defense. Good steal numbers and gets some blocks. Admittedly, I'm a fan of Oubre so my colored glasses are guiding my opinion here.