KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List: 9th Choice?

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value, who would be your 9th choice?

• Al-Farouq Aminu - 29

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bojan Bogdanovic - 30

• DeMarcus Cousins - 29

• Kemba Walker - 29

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
KingsFans.com Free Agency Wish List
#1 Kevin Durant - 31
#2 Kawhi Leonard - 28
#3 Nikola Vucevic - 29
#4 Klay Thompson - 29
#5 Khris Middleton - 28
#6 Tobias Harris - 27
#7 Kristaps Porzingis - 24
#8 Jimmy Butler - 30

If all Free Agents would sign with the Kings at market value (with the exception of Durant, Leonard, Vucevic, Thompson, Middleton, Harris, Porzingis, & Butler), who would be your 9th choice?

Assumptions:
  • For unrestricted free agents, all free agents would sign with the Kings if we matched the best offer given to them in FA (similar to how restricted free agency works). This means that your 1st choice may not come down to the best player, but perhaps the player you think would have the most valuable contract.
  • For restricted free agents, consider how much we would have to pay to potentially lure them away
  • Barnes opts into his contract.
  • The decision around Cauley-Stein's FA is left up to you.

Please do not let the line of thinking "that's unrealistic" come into play when making your decision. Basketball executives still put a name down for #1, #2, #3, etc. on their draft board despite having the 10th pick. Let's make this a similar exercise.

Also, nominate a new free agent in a comment down below. The player who gets the most votes will replace the winner as a new option in the next poll.

Last edited:
Al Horford would be a perfect player to push the team into the playoffs and compliment the roster. On offense he can pass and shoot, on defense he can protect the rim and switch. Even as he loses mobility, you would think he can still provide just as much as a Lopez or Vucecic in 2-3 years.

His game is a perfect model for Harry to follow, and he can play next to either of the young bigs. His playing time would fade as Harry develops, and his contract would end as the kids get extensions.

Al Horford would be a perfect player to push the team into the playoffs and compliment the roster. On offense he can pass and shoot, on defense he can protect the rim and switch. Even as he loses mobility, you would think he can still provide just as much as a Lopez or Vucecic in 2-3 years.

His game is a perfect model for Harry to follow, and he can play next to either of the young bigs. His playing time would fade as Harry develops, and his contract would end as the kids get extensions.
I just struggle with the idea of giving some of these older guys big deals. We have a short window of signing a big FA, and ideally we'd sign someone who overlaps with the timeline of our kids more. Otherwise, I'd likely look to trade our cap space for future picks/young assets, and try again next offseason.

For example, we'd be able to do both of these deals if we let Cauley-Stein walk and if Barnes opts in:

• Meyers Leonard & #25 for Future 2nd (top 55 protected)
  • Allen Crabbe, #27, & #31 for Future 2nd (top 55 protected)
Next offseason, we'd have the following players under contract:

Marvin Bagley III
Bogdan Bogdanovic
Nemanja Bjelica
De'Aaron Fox
Buddy Hield
Harry Giles
Caleb Swanigan
Frank Mason
#25 (2019 draft)
#27 (2019 draft)
#31 (2019 draft)
#40 (2019 draft)
#47 (2019 draft)
#60 (2019 draft)

If we resign Barnes for $72 mil/4 years ($16 mil in his first year), we'd have $28.1 mil in cap space again (factoring in the cap holds for Hield, Bogdanovic, & Mason). If we waive Bjelica & Mason, the cap space climbs to $40.1 mil. We now have another shot at signing a big FA on our timeline again. If we fail, trade the cap space for future picks/assets & expiring deals to give other teams the ability to sign FAs.

We can sign veteran mentors for cheap. I'd use the cap space on players that can be with this team when it hits it's peak or use it to acquire more future assets to give ourselves multiple options.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Since Vlade is over in Europe, I'm sure he's seen this player play, and hopefully he'll think about making him an offer. I referring to Cory Higgins, who is free from his contract over there, and has a desire to return to the NBA. Higgins has turned himself into a very good basketball player, and a lights out shooter. He shot 47% from the three this year, and he took a lot of them. He's considered one of the best SG's in Europe, and the best american SG in Europe. He's also considered a lock down defender.

He won't come cheap since there are about 3 or 4 European teams bidding on him, and it's reported that there are several NBA teams pursuing him as well. He might be a nice 3 & D player to have on the bench.

Since Vlade is over in Europe, I'm sure he's seen this player play, and hopefully he'll think about making him an offer. I referring to Cory Higgins, who is free from his contract over there, and has a desire to return to the NBA. Higgins has turned himself into a very good basketball player, and a lights out shooter. He shot 47% from the three this year, and he took a lot of them. He's considered one of the best SG's in Europe, and the best american SG in Europe. He's also considered a lock down defender.

He won't come cheap since there are about 3 or 4 European teams bidding on him, and it's reported that there are several NBA teams pursuing him as well. He might be a nice 3 & D player to have on the bench.
Son of Rod who actually spent a little time as a King.
At 6'5" he's just a SG as far as I can tell, so would be competing with Bogdan for minutes.