Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
Position:
SG
Hgt: 6'6"
Wgt: 204
Projected Draft Number: #10 NBADraft.net/#19 Draftexpress.com
College: Georgia
College Stats 2012-13: 33.9min 18.5pts (.438FG% .377TPt% .797FT%) 7.1reb 1.8ast 2.0stl 0.5blk 2.1TO

Capt's Review: An average-sized 2 guard who is going to make his living off of his shooting. He has a good outside stroke (and his free throw form is excellent) but he has a big tendency to rush his shot and have bad shot selection, which may help square up the disconnect between his reputation as an amazing shooter and his good-but-not-shocking 37.7% from three this year. He does have a disturbing tendency to swing the ball down by his ankles before rising into his shot, especially off of the dribble, which opponents will probably take full advantage of at the next level. His drive is shaky, however, and if he doesn't get to the rim his floater is not up to snuff yet. Defensively, I don't have a good feel for what he can do. When I watched him the Bulldogs had a strong tendency to match him up with the opponent's weakest perimeter guy which could suggest that Georgia wanted him to expend all his energy offensively, or could suggest he's not a good defender. He is a very good rebounder for a guard, always active on the boards and he uses good instincts to position himself for the ball. Athletically he's quick, but his jump numbers at the combine were not outstanding (worse than the disappointing numbers from Shabazz). I think all of that adds up to a late-teens pick at best, but you never know.

Baja's Review: If you looked at Caldwell's freshman and sophmore years, you'd find that his minutes played 33.9 per game, along with shots taken, were almost identical. What wasn't identical were the results. He scored more points and did so in a more effecient way. His freshman year he took more bad shots, and appeared to be off balance more than not. He still looked off balance at times this season, but he improved dramaticly in that area, as well as showing up with better looking mechanics. His two biggest problems on offense, well maybe three, if you include shot selection, are his poor ballhandling, and and his inability to get to the rim. On the occasion he does get to the rim, he has trouble battling through physcial play. Its also my humble opinion, that if he took fewer 3pt shots, which by the way make up more than 50% of his shots, and shoot more midrange shots, his overall shooting percentage would go up. He shot 50% inside the arc. Despite his poor ballhandling, he's good at creating space for a pullup shot, where he shot around 42% overall. I like Caldwell-Pope, who has good size for a SG. He also showed great defensive potential, having quick feet, and keeping most players in front of him. His weakness on defense was fighting through screens, where too many times he appeared to get discouraged and just quit on the play. Sound familar? I think getting in the weight room and adding strength and a little more weight, will help in the screen dept as well as helping him finish at the basket. He's a good athlete thats still raw in some areas, but has good potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a starter on an NBA team in the future.

Gilles' Review: Is 6'5.5" with 6'8" wingspan. Very quick and fast, but average jumping. Examplary case of a good player on a very bad team. Was by far best offensive and defensive player for Georgia. Very good shooter in all situations: C&S, off-the-dribble, off-the-screen. Struggles with finishing inside due to lack of hops, but still went there more this season and as a result getting to the line twice as often as a freshman. Also made a big leap in FT% from .654 on 2.5 attempts to .799 on 5.3. Is not a physical defender but moves his feet very well. Handles improved but he still has to pull-up too often. Too weak to slide to SF.

Last edited by a moderator:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Caldwell-Pope and Jamaal Franklin are two guys that, while not good fits for the Kings, seem (to me at least) to have the potential to really surprise on the next level. Both have obvious holes in their game but they also seem like they could easily fix some of those issues and be productive contributors in the same vein as a guy like Kawhi Leonard.

We'll see.

But as for the Kings, unless Tyreke is gone I don't like KCP on the Kings.

If Evans is your lead guard, KCP running around perimeter getting a lot of attention to prevent him from getting open is not be the worst thing to happen. Stick undersized guy on him like PG, KCP will shoot over him all day long and probably has enough handles to drive, if you stick, say, Tony Parker on him like Spurs did with Thompson.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Evans is your lead guard, KCP running around perimeter getting a lot of attention to prevent him from getting open is not be the worst thing to happen. Stick undersized guy on him like PG, KCP will shoot over him all day long and probably has enough handles to drive, if you stick, say, Tony Parker on him like Spurs did with Thompson.
True, though I'd ideally want another ballhandler/decisionmaker out there with Tyreke. It's why I'm currently favoring McCollum. But Caldwell-Pope, Oladipo, Franklin and even later picks like Hardaway, Crabbe and Snell interest me in terms of how they'd mesh with Tyreke as a big backcourt. I'd love to try bully ball for a year.

McCollum is definitely a better ballhandler and probably a better fit next to Evans. Don't think other guys you mentioned are as much an overall perimeter threat as KCP is though.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
McCollum is definitely a better ballhandler and probably a better fit next to Evans. Don't think other guys you mentioned are as much an overall perimeter threat as KCP is though.
I think Crabbe is better strictly as a catch-and-shoot guy but otherwise, yeah I thin KCP is the best shooter/outside threat of the bunch by a decent margin.

My favorite guy in the draft after Nerlens Noel. I don't want to toot my own horn here again (sorry, shameless plug x2) but I had him in the mid lottery back when there was still a lot of noise and dust surrounding the draft process (mid-college season) and back when all the draftniks were shelving him as a late 1st round in the 2014 NBA draft. Not surprisingly, he's really been a late riser to the point where he's now a mid to late lotto pick. I think there's some great value to be had with him--he doesn't have much of a basement, but can solidify himself as a Kerry Kittles-type roleplayer IMO. Probably too much of a jumpshooter and limited in a few other areas to take that great step into stardom, but still. Georgia hasn't been all that awesome in producing first round picks (the last one was Jarvis Hayes, and he busted out), but Caldwell-Pope's game translates better to the league. Threes + D is one of the most essential components that teams look for, especially when they come from young players.