KingsFan "Official" Fantasy Basketball league

Don't be fooled by the imitators... there is only one. And this is it, returning for its unprecedented 17th season of fantasy basketball action (or maybe its 5th year). Like always, old people I have the ability to recognize will get first crack at spots and then first come, first serve. So if you have played in the league previously and want to play again, shoot me a PM and I'll get the league number and password off to you. If you want to join, but haven't yet, say so in this thread and reserve your spot in this thread. Hopefully all the old regulars can once again feed my ego by gracefully losing to me once again this year. Enough talking, onto the rules... (always open for discussion).

League ID#: 68436
League Name: KingsFans Official

Draft Type: Live Draft
Draft Time: Sat Oct 29 4:00pm PDT [ Add to My Calendar ]
Max Teams: 20
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2
Trade End Date: March 16, 2006
Waiver Time: 2 days
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Trade Review: Commissioner
Post Draft Players: Free Agents
Weekly Deadline: Weekly on Monday
Start Scoring on: Week 1

Roster Positions: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL
Stat Categories: FG%, FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
JSin said:
League ID#: 68436
League Name: KingsFans Official

Draft Type: Live Draft
Draft Time: Sat Oct 29 4:00pm PDT [ Add to My Calendar ]
Max Teams: 20
Scoring Type: Head-to-Head
Max Moves: No maximum
Max Trades: No maximum
Trade Reject Time: 2
Trade End Date: March 16, 2006
Waiver Time: 2 days
Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
Trade Review: Commissioner
Post Draft Players: Free Agents
Weekly Deadline: Weekly on Monday
Start Scoring on: Week 1

Roster Positions: PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, Util, Util, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IL, IL
Stat Categories: FG%, FT%, 3PTM, PTS, REB, AST, ST, BLK, TO

And now I remember why I haven't been in your league in a couple of years...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Keep telling yourself that... I'm not the same fantasy league novice that I was the last time we were in a league together.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

And now I remember why I haven't been in your league in a couple of years...
Because of the weekly setting? I don't mind either way, I think its more stategic when its weekly as opposed to just time-consuming and commited on daily, but the votes said weekly so...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
There's no inherent strategic advantage to a weekly league vice a daily league, unless you consider handicapping managers to be "strategy." The closest thing to a strategy is the "bean counting" element, where your plugging in players based on how many games they're scheduled to play that week... but even that's not much of a strategy, as it's negated by things that the manager cannot possibly anticipate in advance, like suspensions and freak injuries. I can just about guarantee that nobody saw the brawl in Detroit coming last year, and if you had any of those guys in your lineup, you got screwed out of several days or more...

Daily leagues require both a greater degree of strategy and interaction. You have to constantly stay a step ahead of your competition; you can't get away with standing pat with your lineup, like you can in a daily league. You can't just play the law of averages and win; you actually have to react to what's happening.

Not only that, but it's been my observation that the group interaction in a weekly league is typically far inferior to that of a daily league, simply because managers only have to check in once a week, and many often only do that; it's more geared for the casual fantasy league player.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
There's no inherent strategic advantage to a weekly league vice a daily league, unless you consider handicapping managers to be "strategy." The closest thing to a strategy is the "bean counting" element, where your plugging in players based on how many games they're scheduled to play that week... but even that's not much of a strategy, as it's negated by things that the manager cannot possibly anticipate in advance, like suspensions and freak injuries. I can just about guarantee that nobody saw the brawl in Detroit coming last year, and if you had any of those guys in your lineup, you got screwed out of several days or more...

Daily leagues require both a greater degree of strategy and interaction. You have to constantly stay a step ahead of your competition; you can't get away with standing pat with your lineup, like you can in a daily league. You can't just play the law of averages and win; you actually have to react to what's happening.

Not only that, but it's been my observation that the group interaction in a weekly league is typically far inferior to that of a daily league, simply because managers only have to check in once a week, and many often only do that; it's more geared for the casual fantasy league player.
au contraire mon ami...

daily lineups mean that you have NO bench and except on the rare occasion when all of your guys are going ont he same day, NO real choices to make. Everyone plays all the time. You have 15 people on the team, you basically have 15 starters.

But weekly allows a significant element of strategy to come into play, not only the 4 games in week vs. 3 games in a week thing, but matchup substitutions of equally matched players (i.e. you put in your #3 center for the week at the Util position to go big or your #3 PG to go small), and bigger GMing decisions about whether you want to concentrate your talent in your starters and cross your fingers, or have a deeper team more able to absorb injuries. The key point being that since not everybody can play every day/week, there are significant decisions to be made wheras most nights in a daily league you are just going to be playing every single player who has a game that night.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You've got it backwards. Weekly leagues don't require more strategy, they require less. First of all, what good is a "bench" if you can't/don't use it? Any manager that has any quality stars on their team is going to ride those horses 'till the wheels fall off, so to speak; if you've got Ray Allen starting at SG, Bonzi Wells ain't gonna see time. Which means that, unless one of your key players gets injured or suspended, or only play, like, two games that week, most managers aren't going to take their stars out, no matter what the matchups are like. My experience with weekly leagues has shown that most managers just put their best players in the lineup, and hope that they'll produce enough to win. That's not strategey; as I said before, that's playing the percentages... I was in a weekly league a couple of years ago where one of the managers set his lineup on the day of the draft, and then literally didn't return until the playoffs; he made the playoffs, by the way. You can't convince me that strategy was at play there. There's no way, no how, that he would have made the playoffs using that technique in a daily league; it's only in a league where everybody else is handicapped from manipulating their roster could that possibly happen.

Way more luck than strategy involved in a weekly league.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
You've got it backwards. Weekly leagues don't require more strategy, they require less. First of all, what good is a "bench" if you can't/don't use it? Any manager that has any quality stars on their team is going to ride those horses 'till the wheels fall off, so to speak; if you've got Ray Allen starting at SG, Bonzi Wells ain't gonna see time. Which means that, unless one of your key players gets injured or suspended, or only play, like, two games that week, most managers aren't going to take their stars out, no matter what the matchups are like. My experience with weekly leagues has shown that most managers just put their best players in the lineup, and hope that they'll produce enough to win. That's not strategey; as I said before, that's playing the percentages... I was in a weekly league a couple of years ago where one of the managers set his lineup on the day of the draft, and then literally didn't return until the playoffs; he made the playoffs, by the way. You can't convince me that strategy was at play there. There's no way, no how, that he would have made the playoffs using that technique in a daily league; it's only in a league where everybody else is handicapped from manipulating their roster could that possibly happen.

Way more luck than strategy involved in a weekly league.

I can see where each of you has a very valid point. I think the main difference is how often you get to use strategy.

In a weekly league, there is more overall strategy, however, you can only really interact with the team once per week. You set your weekly line-up and then coast the rest of the week. Then when it comes to changing your roster for the next week, it could take some time to find a game plan, study all the numbers and then execute you game plan for that week. Then wait another week, then do it again.

However with a daily change, it's not nearly as time consuming all at once. You change to all the players that are playing that night and there is no strategy with that. But the strategy lies in the type of people that you have. All of a sudden depth in your team becomes much more important. There are nights were you will only have your crappiest three players playing. Now you have the choice of hitting the waivers and finding better, more efficient players. Instead of those three crappy players.

For Example
A couple of years ago, Ronald Murray (SG) was scorching hot in the beginning of the season. In a daily league, someone like that is solid gold. In a weekly league, if you already had a marquee SG, say Kobe, there is no way you would bench Kobe for Ronald, so why bother picking him up in the first place? Depth means NOTHING in weekly leagues unless there is a significant injury.

But the most important part is that you are now forcing everyone active in that league to change rosters and making them interact on a daily basis. This will lead to more trades, waivers, adds, drops, and overall participation. Then on those really busy nights that you have all 15 players playing, then you get into more strategy. Do you use the UTIL spot for an Adonal Foyal type person as opposed to a Richard Hamilton type because you are behind in rebounds? So there still is just as much strategy during the daily leagues, just spread out more evenly along the week.

Personally, I am in favor of a daily league, because I love to check on all my players each and every morning before work as oppsoed to once a week.

There is no strategery (yes, that's strategery) in daily because rare is the night when you have to decide who to play, its normally whoever has a game that night. That doesn't take a brain, a monkey with point and click skills could manage a team. It just takes more time and if you forget to set your lineup one night, you could be screwed for the week. It more persistence than talent. I can see both sides, but in all the league's I've been in, its been more competitive in the weekly leagues, the daily league's get thined out quickly when you find out who has the time to check their team everyday and who doesn't.

edit: I would have no problem playing daily if that's what the majority wanted now. Then I could beat on Slim some. I'm tired of beting up on Brick.

JSin said:
edit: I would have no problem playing daily if that's what the majority wanted now. Then I could beat on Slim some. I'm tired of beting up on Brick.
I wouldn't mind daily this year.

Can I get a list a HOF list of champions since the league started? I'd like to know the history of champs, it sounds like only Brick or J have been winning this league before I joined last year.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
JSin said:
There is no strategery (yes, that's strategery) in daily because rare is the night when you have to decide who to play, its normally whoever has a game that night...
Absolutely false. At least three times every week (usually Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays), there are 10+ games playing, for a total of twenty teams, meaning that at least three times a week, you're facing the highly likely probability of having more players playing than you have slots in your rotation. Which means that you have to decide who plays, and who sits. And, depending on how your team is constructed, if you have more than one player from any given team, it's even more likely.

And JonBoy418 is right; in a weekly league, roleplayers have no value, which is another reason why I personally abhor them. I prefer to play in leagues where anybody on the court could be a factor... You're not going to sit a superstar for a whole week, even if a roleplayer is on a hot streak, unless that superstar has been injured or suspended, or something. I hate leagues that can be decided by star talent.

You contend that daily leagues take more persistence than talent, and I contend that weekly leagues take more luck than strategy.

JSin said:
There is no strategery (yes, that's strategery) in daily because rare is the night when you have to decide who to play, its normally whoever has a game that night. That doesn't take a brain, a monkey with point and click skills could manage a team. It just takes more time and if you forget to set your lineup one night, you could be screwed for the week. It more persistence than talent. I can see both sides, but in all the league's I've been in, its been more competitive in the weekly leagues, the daily league's get thined out quickly when you find out who has the time to check their team everyday and who doesn't.

There is strategery (isn't that a Dub-ya word?) in daily leagues, just not in the same sense of weekly leagues. In weekly leagues, it's about maximizing your starters and finding the match ups in your favor against your opponent. It just so happens that superstars are more consistant than streaky players, so superstars are usually starters week in week out.

In daily leagues, you are rewarded for having more basketball saavy. You are rewarded for finding those players that are not quite superstars, but fall enough under the radar to have a positive impact on your team. It's adds a new dimension to the league. Everyone has their superstars, their consistant all-stars, then their effective role-players. That's where it ends in the weekly leagues. In daily leagues, now the new dimension is the proverbial twelveth man. The Ronald Dupree who will add an additional 10pts/2reb/4*** per night, the Diop who adds 7pts/6reb/1***. That is where the battle is won, in the lesser known guys that nobody knows about, but you have the knowledge, the experience and the STRATEGERY to find them and maximize your entire team.

This is why there is a mutli-million dollar industry in publications on finding who the sleepers are. In weekly leagues, sleepers don't fall under the radar, they are almost always drafted high or in the middle rounds.

JSin said:
the daily league's get thined out quickly when you find out who has the time to check their team everyday and who doesn't.
Just to re-emphasis this point. If they don't have time to check their team, they shouldn't be invited to join. Keep an inventory of who is active in the league and the next season, don't send out invitations to the inactive managers. There is plenty of willing people to get into the "Offical Kingfans League."

Bricklayer

That is not "strategy", that is "knowledge of the game", and bleating aside there is certainly no more of it spread amongst daily leaguers than weekly leaguers. In fact a FAR better indicator of the dpeth of knowledge in a particular group is the number of teams in the league, and thus depth of the draft. With 360 roster spots in the NBA (30x12), a league of 10 "daily leaguers" drafting 10 players each takes the first 100 barely scratches the surface and never has to go beyond the starters. A league of 20 weekly leaguers drafting 15 each take 300 and has to have DEEP knowledge of the league. And vice versa of course.

And also of course, the further joke is that daily leagues acually use a very similar strategy to weekly leagues, except that the strategy only pops up one day a week tops. The superstars NEVER sit in those leagues either. Even when there is a conflict, Brian Cook sits, tim Duncan plays. Not hard to figre. Difference is on most days NOBODY sits. Hence no strategy. You draft them, you play them.

I would love to join if there is a spot. btw 20 gm's and 15 players max each? Isn't that a bit hefty. Would have to bottom of the pool to get some players that probably see 2-4 minutes on court to feel those last spots (and it being a weekly league), that would be bad if you had to use them.

Bricklayer said:
That is not "strategy", that is "knowledge of the game", and bleating aside there is certainly no more of it spread amongst daily leaguers than weekly leaguers. In fact a FAR better indicator of the dpeth of knowledge in a particular group is the number of teams in the league, and thus depth of the draft. With 360 roster spots in the NBA (30x12), a league of 10 "daily leaguers" drafting 10 players each takes the first 100 barely scratches the surface and never has to go beyond the starters. A league of 20 weekly leaguers drafting 15 each take 300 and has to have DEEP knowledge of the league. And vice versa of course.

And also of course, the further joke is that daily leagues acually use a very similar strategy to weekly leagues, except that the strategy only pops up one day a week tops. The superstars NEVER sit in those leagues either. Even when there is a conflict, Brian Cook sits, tim Duncan plays. Not hard to figre. Difference is on most days NOBODY sits. Hence no strategy. You draft them, you play them.

It's comparable to:
would you rather have $1000 cash or $1000 money order.

As long as it's fantasy basketball, it's fine with me.

But, I am going to do a comparison this year. I am in this one and only weekly league and in three other daily leagues. In each league there is a "team & manager list" button and under that option, it lists each manager's last league activity. I am doing a scientific survey of league activity between daily leagues vs. weekly leagues. Each day (yes I do check every single day) I will glance at that screen and see if there has been any activity. At the end of the season, I will come back with the results.

My hypothesis is that daily league will have more interaction and activity because people are forced to make daily changes, therefore interact with waiver's, and tinker with possible trades and use the forum message board.

For this experiment, I will compare the "Official Kingsfans League" and "Bigdog's League." Both seem to have the most regulars in them.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
And JonBoy418 is right; in a weekly league, roleplayers have no value, which is another reason why I personally abhor them. I prefer to play in leagues where anybody on the court could be a factor... You're not going to sit a superstar for a whole week, even if a roleplayer is on a hot streak, unless that superstar has been injured or suspended, or something. I hate leagues that can be decided by star talent.
The stars are going to play every game they can in both leagues. LeBron James isn't going to sit for some guy you picked up in the 19th round, either way. So star power isn't deciding anything different in either league. But, both league's start 10 players. Role players do play a role because of those UTIL spots. Are you starting Marquis Daniels or Ben Gordon every week? Well, in a weekly league, you have to look at games they are set to play, who those games are against, home or away? In a daily league, both those guy would be playing because in most daily leagues there are only 3 bench spots and that means there are plenty of starting spots to hold everyone.

Well from the sounds of it, maybe we want to put the daily vs. weekly vote back on the table for all of those who are going to be playing in this league. I abstain.

Okay, it's looks like we have about 11 regulars in the league and I might be just about ready to open it to the new people. But I would like to hear from those ALREADY IN the league how big we should go. Most leagues are 12, but we have gone up to 20 before. Let me know.

Bricklayer

JSin said:
Okay, it's looks like we have about 11 regulars in the league and I might be just about ready to open it to the new people. But I would like to hear from those ALREADY IN the league how big we should go. Most leagues are 12, but we have gone up to 20 before. Let me know.
I'm always a bigger the better guy. Just hopped into a random 20-person league today. Think it makes it more interesting to have to work the lesser players into your plan. And in the KF setting of course, always good to be inclusive and add as many board members as we can.