Kings with best defense in the league

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Where did that come from?

Please provide links when posting things like this so we can look at the source as well.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Clearly that's from ESPN. And we are 12th in opp. FG %, 15th in opp. 3PT FG%. 2nd in the league in steals though at 11.0/gm, nicely offset by 18.4 turnovers a game which is in the bottom five in the league.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
All info from online sources must be referenced. Or have you not been paying attention?

Maybe a refresher on posting tips is necessary?

Since you seem to be having a hard time with this, I'll help you with a link:

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12978

And even quote the pertinent info to show you how it's done:

1. Don't be a jerk. People come here to share their thoughts, joys, frustrations, etc. with other fans. No ONE person has the right to deny them that experience. Intentionally acting rude, insulting, flaming, belittling, name-calling, hateful or insensitive to anyone or their friends, family, etc. is not acceptable. We will not always agree with each other, but show some respect. If you do one of these things, you will be asked to stop, and if you fail to stop after talking with us about it, you will be dealt with in whatever way we feel is appropriate. The best thing to remember is to keep your comments about the topic at hand and NOT about another member.

Every situation is different. If you offend somebody, responding with a :rolleyes: and "I was just joking" doesn't cut it. You have to explain yourself. Joking around is fine, but it helps if you make it known you're fooling around. Nobody can read your mind here.

In addition, it is not up to any member to correct or criticize the grammar or spelling of other members. We have a worldwide community here, and a lot of our members are posting in English as their second, third or even fourth language. It's not about how something is spelled, anyway. It's about the comments.

HINT: This isn't text messaging. If your posts don't make sense, they don't do you or us any good. Complete words and the use of punctuation make it easier for all of us to communicate.

2. On Posting Articles/Pictures From Other Sites:

When posting articles/pictures from newspaper sites, or other sites in general as a rule you will have to:

A. make sure the source and the author are mentioned,

B. make sure there is a "linkback" to the article in question

Failing to do so will result in removal of the post in question. This is not a power syndrome, this has to do with rights (SK and other) and obligations you face when doing this. It is allowed (more or less) to post the articles under several laws, however we can never prove our case if we do not mention sources; at that moment in time (no sources) it becomes simply theft of SK rights.

Articles from ESPN Insider, which require a paid subscription, can be quoted briefly but NOT reprinted in their entirety.

*As far as links to peer-to-peer sites to share game films, it’s not allowed. Games are subject to copyright. Taping them for your own use is one thing. Taping them and uploading them to a peer-to-peer site is copyright infringement and we don’t want to battle the NBA over it. The occasional clip as a fan tribute is one thing; game films will NOT be allowed and links/threads will be deleted.

checked NBA.com. kings allow 90ppg. i didnt see any team with a better average than that. and the kings have a winning record. this is a good sign.

^ rofl @Nbrans. We are first in defense, but DEAD last in offense... Crazy... Dead last in 3 point percentage, second to last in FG percentage, and 5th in rebounding differential with +5 rpg Looks like those old Kings are gone lol...

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
^ rofl @Nbrans. We are first in defense, but DEAD last in offense... Crazy... Dead last in 3 point percentage, second to last in FG percentage, and 5th in rebounding differential with +5 rpg Looks like those old Kings are gone lol...

Thing is we have about the same amount of wins we had at this time with the offensive teams. Also the offense is something that can turn around easier than defense can turn around. When mike gets healthy and Ron plays within himself we should be allright in that catagory.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am looking at streaks. Last season we had losing streaks of 5 5 and 3 with seven 2 game losing streaks not counting 18 single losses. If we can keep the massive losing streak at bay we should be in good position come playoff time.

The question is - is our defense dead last because we're so ugly on offense?

You know, like an inefficient football team runs the ball to control the clock. I wonder how much our sloppy play and just-plain ugliness has an effect on the whole game.

I wonder if our putridness on offense permeates the whole game.

First in defense, last in offense. wow never thought I'd see a Kings team like that.

Anyone who watches the Kings games would definitely notice how much more active on defense the Kings are this year. Lots of deflections, turnovers, and contested shots. Heck even rebounding.

I could only wonder how much of that is Kings defense vs opponents also working out the kinks in their offenses. I definitely think that the defense is real and contributes to the offensive inefficiencies of our opponents.

I hope our offense comes together in time before our opponent's offense does, because we at least need a decent offense to go with this defense if we expect to get far.

On a side note, it really pisses me off when TV announcers say that Kings opponents (example: detroit) play poorly when they have bad offensive games with us, and not give any due recognition that our defense probably forced the opponent into that bad offensive game. I'm pretty sure if we switched the two teams that night, they'd say....Detroit's defense absolutely making it difficult for Kings to score.

Sigh.

This is stuff that everyone knows, but I still want to type out the reasons that the Kings have transformed from a all-O no-D team to an all-D no-O team--at least that's the way it's been so far, 5 games into the season:

1. Peja-Artest trade, and the changing of the guard in general

Defensively, Peja was actually quite decent and often underrated, but obviously he's no Ron Artest. Artest's intensity probably rubs off on teammates as well. His impact was most obvious when the Kings vastly improved defensively last season since the trade. Offensively, the Kings lost a big part of the Princeton, which the Kings were still running early in the season, with the Peja and Christie trades. Artest's inefficiency so far in the season coupled with the total volume of shots he's jacking up makes it very hard for the Kings to be a good offensive team--if Kevin Martin hadn't stepped up his game, the Kings offense would've looked even worse. Offensively, the Kings have been league leaders in most assists and least TOs all throughout the Princeton era, while this bunch of Kings have really struggled with turnover problems and passing in general, which I think should partly be attributed to getting used to new personnel, and partly to just the fact that the new players aren't as good ball handlers and passers as members of the old guard.

2. Replacing Adelman/Carril with Musselman

I think the end of the Princeton era was more dictated by the change in player personnel and not the coaches, really--Adelman was already phasing out much of the Princeton late last season. So offensively, I really think that the struggles has little to do with Musselman, but simply has to do with Artest's inefficiency and Bibby's struggles with his shot, which probably has to do with his injury, as well as the lack of Brad Miller. The biggest difference Musselman has made, in my opinion, is in the team's overall hustle and effort, best exemplified in Bibby's improved defense and improved team rebounding as a whole. A lot of defense has to do with intensity--and this team has certainly stepped it up on this front.

3. Brad Miller's injury

Brad Miller is still one of the most effective centers on the offensive side of the ball, and the Kings really do miss his overall ability to shoot and stretch the defense, as well as his ability to handle and pass the ball from the high post. Defensively, SAR is a very good post defender despite his lack of size when played at the 5, and the SAR/KT combo is a better defensive and rebounding combo than when Brad Miller is on the floor.

Thing is we have about the same amount of wins we had at this time with the offensive teams. Also the offense is something that can turn around easier than defense can turn around. When mike gets healthy and Ron plays within himself we should be allright in that catagory.
Glad someone else noticed. I'm not TOO worried about the offense at this point of the season, with Brad out and Mike playing like he is even with the use of only 4 fingers on his shooting hand, and who knows how much our bench will expand, now that Corliss has been brought into the mix. But the thing that I'm keying into is the defense is coming on so strong, and the DEFENSE will also continue to get better as the team continues to gel in this way...SCARY, isnt it??:eek:

edit: remember the Pistons championship teams of the 80's/early 90's? They were absolutely incredible on defense...and their offense wasnt spectacular, it was just effecient...and they won 2 titles in the process. Just a thought...

This is the first step in being a defensive-type contender.

The offense will come around, and it's much easier to add scorers to your team, than it is to sign defensive studs.

This should be a good year.

This is the first step in being a defensive-type contender.

The offense will come around, and it's much easier to add scorers to your team, than it is to sign defensive studs.

This should be a good year.
I think this year will be good, but IF we keep most of the pieces(i.e.: sign Artest in 2 years, sign Martin in 2 years, Bibby's situation, etc.) from this team around the next few years...those will be GREAT years.;)

I think this year will be good, but IF we keep most of the pieces(i.e.: sign Artest in 2 years, sign Martin in 2 years, Bibby's situation, etc.) from this team around the next few years...those will be GREAT years.;)
no doubt, no doubt, but I meant it as it will be a good year, as in changing our identity to a defensive squad.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not to take the air out of anyone's balloon, but right now what we're seeing is a team that plays very good at home. Period. I'm happy about that but I'm not about to draw any other conclusions quite yet...