Kings will no longer have cheerleaders

Let me ask this. With all the spotlight on gender equality and allowing the same opportunity for all, why is it ok for the cheerleaders to be only women?

I mean, it’s great when women are now being included in male dominated arenas but when the shoe is on the other foot, people are going to cry foul? I don’t get it.

It seems to me you shouldn’t have it both ways.

As I said previously, I don't care much for the dancers. But I do care that this was handled poorly by the Kings.
In pondering the reason for the change, there is always the wicked witch theory, whose reasons can't be understood with logic.
Another good insight is that they are trying to lure a younger demographic to G1C. That's certainly possible.
Two other good reasons could be:
1) Liability
2) Sexism
Liability because, even if the dancers are volunteers, as King's org volunteers, the Kings still have to pay their worker comp insurance. They are also more likely to face lawsuits from mistreated or injured or rejected dancers.
Sexism because cheerleaders/dancers reinforces stereotypes and gender roles about women being pretty and sexy, but not being true equals to men. All of which leads to discrimination against women. And more lawsuits.

I am NOT attempting to justify what the Kings did here.
I am attempting to focus on the most likely reasons for the poorly handled change.
Prob has more to do with what jcassio mentioned. Liability or cost cutting. If it was about equality then just have guys put on/try out for the dance team instead of using an outside hip hop dance company.

Not sure I buy the stated reasoning. At the end of the day, it’s a business. Probably just a $$$ thing.

How they handled it though...not a fan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As I said previously, I don't care much for the dancers. But I do care that this was handled poorly by the Kings.
In pondering the reason for the change, there is always the wicked witch theory, whose reasons can't be understood with logic.
Another good insight is that they are trying to lure a younger demographic to G1C. That's certainly possible.
Two other good reasons could be:
1) Liability
2) Sexism
Liability because, even if the dancers are volunteers, as King's org volunteers, the Kings still have to pay their worker comp insurance. They are also more likely to face lawsuits from mistreated or injured or rejected dancers.
Sexism because cheerleaders/dancers reinforces stereotypes and gender roles about women being pretty and sexy, but not being true equals to men. All of which leads to discrimination against women. And more lawsuits.

I am NOT attempting to justify what the Kings did here.
I am attempting to focus on the most likely reasons for the poorly handled change.
The most likely reason for this poorly handled change, just the latest in an incredibly LONG line of similar actions, is that they all trace back to the same person.

Let me ask this. With all the spotlight on gender equality and allowing the same opportunity for all, why is it ok for the cheerleaders to be only women?

I mean, it’s great when women are now being included in male dominated arenas but when the shoe is on the other foot, people are going to cry foul? I don’t get it.

It seems to me you shouldn’t have it both ways.
They had males try out. Nothing was in place that said they couldn't.

They've had male performers doing stuff already with hip hop, break dancing etc.

Guess the classics are out of performing as well since they were mostly the mothers of the dances.

Wow this thread is an absolute mockery of reality. The Kings org made a business decision. Not a political one, not a personal one. a simple business decision.

They are of the opinion that other forms of entertainment may be a better option then a full cheer squad and did what businesses do, made a decision. Why should they cater to someone on a forum who thinks otherwise. Lets not pretend they were some fantastic highlight to the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow this thread is an absolute mockery of reality. The Kings org made a business decision. Not a political one, not a personal one. a simple business decision.

They are of the opinion that other forms of entertainment may be a better option then a full cheer squad and did what businesses do, made a decision. Why should they cater to someone on a forum who thinks otherwise. Lets not pretend they were some fantastic highlight to the game.
LOL!

Absolute mockery of reality? Please...

This isn't the first time the Kings have made a decision without bothering to consider the wants/needs of the fans. The dancers have a LOT of fans, and not everyone is sold on hip-hop.

BTW? Drop that word again and you're out of here.

This is just weird to me. I'm not always a traditionalist or afraid of something new, but I don't get it. By freshman level in high school you have cheerleaders in both football and basketball. Continues on to varsity. Same in college. It is a different style in the NBA but we are talking about some ladies trying to entertain a whole lot of people and are great athletes themselves.

Why change that?

I don't mind having alternating guest appearances at games. Some performers are better than others and everyone has their own tastes. I enjoy the breakdancers so if they decided to have them in addition to the Kings dancers once or twice a game I'd be cool with that.

It's just weird.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I am perfectly ok with double standards.

Mentally? Yeah I'm all for equality.

Physically? Well whoever thinks that just isn't based in reality. When it comes to dancing, I think society as a whole has deemed women to be more aesthetically pleasing which is why the majority of dancers are women. If there was as much of a demand for male dancers as there are women, you'd see more of them on tv and a bunch of Chippendales clubs over in Rancho Cordova ;)

Did the dance team call for this? How about the season ticket holders? Were there complaints from the break dancers about sharing the spotlight? Were there dozens of men kicking down the door to try out for the dance team?... I'd be willing to bet that the answer to all of the above is NO. All this is simply more pandering from Vivek and company. Add this to the list of reasons why after 3 seasons, I will not be renewing my court side seats going forward.

If there was as much of a demand for male dancers as there are women, you'd see more of them on tv and a bunch of Chippendales clubs over in Rancho Cordova ;)
To be fair to to Chippendales, it's kind of difficult for them to find their place in the dance marketplace these days when they've lost their two best dancers......

RIP Swayze and Farley.....I miss both those guys.

Physically? Well whoever thinks that just isn't based in reality. When it comes to dancing, I think society as a whole has deemed women to be more aesthetically pleasing which is why the majority of dancers are women. If there was as much of a demand for male dancers as there are women, you'd see more of them on tv and a bunch of Chippendales clubs over in Rancho Cordova ;)
To expand upon your point, same is true of modeling. A profession where women earn a whole lot more than men on average. Higher demand.

PC police in full effect. The thing is, it takes so much skills and perseverance to make these dance teams that they are actually very respected and are considered to be part of the show/game. It's mind boggling that management believes cutting the team would help the cause for women when it's actually doing the opposite as if saying what the dancers were doing is something demeaning. :confused:

LOL!

Absolute mockery of reality? Please...

This isn't the first time the Kings have made a decision without bothering to consider the wants/needs of the fans. The dancers have a LOT of fans, and not everyone is sold on hip-hop.

BTW? Drop that word again and you're out of here.
Please ban me so I have an excuse to never interact with you again. You are a joke of a mod and make this forum difficult to be apart of. Please continue on your power trip like you did with threatening to call season ticket reps LMFAO YOU ARE LITERALLY THE "LET ME TALK TO YOUR MANAGER" meme. Bravo.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Please ban me so I have an excuse to never interact with you again.
And then what, run off to another forum to rack up Grievance Points for being oppressed over here? Here's some oppression for you: Do it your damn self. There's a little button shaped like an "X" at the top of your browser tab, go ahead and click it. You don't want to be around here, fine, but be a big boy and don't ask us to hold your hand out the door.

I think I was less serious about giving up on this team when we traded Cousins than this...

Joking aside, I completely agree with ESP47 here..

Wow I mean... this is horrible. This is absolutely not an upgrade over the SKD.

our SKD were a well choreographed enthusiastic group who were great with the community - I'm still reeling from this whacked out move. I had been holding out hope that "most" of the girls would be carried over and the music might take on a little bit of a SYTYCD flavor - and my favorites would make the new team.

If this is what it's gonna be all about - I wouldn't wish it on the SKD girls to even be participants.