Kings waiving papa morphed into Vlade sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we're discussing the topic of Vlade's ability, let's hold him to what he himself has committed to. If this time next year we don't look like an up and coming team with at least some playoff hopes then he has failed by his own standards.
I agree with this and I'm a delusional die-hard Vlade supporter. If this time next year we are still sputtering and hoping for some new personnel miracle to come along and set things on track, then I'm ok calling Vlade a failure. Doesn't mean we're a .500 team but there ought to be a clear path with the people we have.

Last edited:
Again, I don't agree with firing Joerger. I think he is an excellent coach, Vlade on the other hand I would be happy to see him reassigned to another job. But yes there is pressure to win right now. Maybe not on a message board but I can promise you a lot of the people who write checks for very expensive tickets in Golden 1 are not happy right now and been voicing this opinion to Vivek directly. Money talks and Vivek likes money, that was my point.
I think this is true - especially the well heeled club/courtside contract holders who Vivek holds so dear. Those poor saps are in contracts with 3-5% annual price escalators, while they have not dared to jack up the price on regular season ticket holders because they can't take the sure defections that would result.

The people who believed the most - the ones who signed the longest terms with the highest escalators - they ought to be just outraged and I mean pitchforks at the door level of outrage. I routinely buy their $300 club seats on stubhub for $125. They can't be liking that!! They are stuck in a 5 year deal with rising prices that aren't remotely justified... I mean Warriors type of prices. And so yes there has got to be extreme pressure to be a winner NEXT year .. or it will be Vlade's ass.

Nobody knows what Vivek is thinking. Would not surprise me at all if he fires both Vlade and Joerger at the end of this season due to the pressure to win - not saying I agree with that.
Hes a complete moron if he fires both. Hes a complete moron if he fires Vlade after this season too. It would just be so dumb, a rebuild isn't instantaneous. In the long run, it wouldnt even be smart financially to do so, no ones wants to pay to watch a treadmill team, been there done that. Take the financial hit these next couple years, make up for it when we have a competitive team. If we're not a competitive playoff team in 2 years, then sure, fire whoever.

As dumb as it sounds the plan looked to be to actually make the playoffs this year. With the combo of ZBO/VC/G.Hill replacing Boogies production, growth in the young guys we already have plus production from our overrated draft class I think vivek truely believed this roster was ready to challenge for 8. The bills related to G1C are to high for vivek to financially withstand a true rebuild. Looks like we will have to watch vivek try and fail over and over to shortcut his way into the playoffs as he has tried to do every year since he got here.

Hes a complete moron if he fires both. Hes a complete moron if he fires Vlade after this season too. It would just be so dumb, a rebuild isn't instantaneous. In the long run, it wouldnt even be smart financially to do so, no ones wants to pay to watch a treadmill team, been there done that. Take the financial hit these next couple years, make up for it when we have a competitive team. If we're not a competitive playoff team in 2 years, then sure, fire whoever.
HINT SEASON TICKETS FOR NEXT YEAR -THE KINGS COMPLETED NEXT YEARS SEASON TICKET RENEWALS ON 12/31/17

Vlade has been beyond terrible if this were anyone else the fans would have revolted by now. Beyond the bad drafts and free agent signings/trades just look at the terrible roster construction. In a league dominated by athletic wings and versatile players we decide to start the season with 5 freaking centers and zero athletic wings. The leagues top teams carry basically 1 or 2 playable centers yet we decide to go with no wings and go all in on big men. I don't know how anyone can even defend vlade anymore he has been a terrible GM in all phases.

Vlade has been beyond terrible if this were anyone else the fans would have revolted by now. Beyond the bad drafts and free agent signings/trades just look at the terrible roster construction. In a league dominated by athletic wings and versatile players we decide to start the season with 5 freaking centers and zero athletic wings. The leagues top teams carry basically 1 or 2 playable centers yet we decide to go with no wings and go all in on big men. I don't know how anyone can even defend vlade anymore he has been a terrible GM in all phases.
Yea, I have no GM experience whatsoever.

As a casual basketball fan, I'm pretty sure I could have done a better job with drafting and player acquisition than Vlade...

Missing on Donovan Mitchell was the final straw for me. So many people were high on Mitchell. Could Giles pan out? Maybe. Could Jackson improve? Maybe. But Mitchell was the franchise player this team needed and Vlade is paid major dollars to make the right decision. Again, typically only poorly managed/losing franchises trade back in a draft. An average fan off of the street knew that Fox and Mitchell were the best two for us. I am tired of seeing Vlade get a pass because he is a loved former player. Can you imagine if the previous GM was making these kind of moves?

As dumb as it sounds the plan looked to be to actually make the playoffs this year. With the combo of ZBO/VC/G.Hill replacing Boogies production, growth in the young guys we already have plus production from our overrated draft class I think vivek truely believed this roster was ready to challenge for 8. The bills related to G1C are to high for vivek to financially withstand a true rebuild. Looks like we will have to watch vivek try and fail over and over to shortcut his way into the playoffs as he has tried to do every year since he got here.
Vlade said next season was the make or break year, I just don't think anything about this season other than Hill being less than worthless has been shocking. This was to be a growth year and to get the players to run a system Joerger thinks will work moving forward while simultaneously evaluating talent.

Even with Papa and Malachi, something had to give. They wouldn't or couldn't find a way to fit into the team and so they're gone.

new member plant from within the organization crowd-sourcing reactions to impending shakeup?
I sure in hell hope not! The merry go round has got to stop. Vlade gave himself a deadline holding him to it is fine. Changing course AGAIN this quickly is beyond insanity.

It would not surprise me. At that point I would hope for an investor revolt. Vivek has controlling interest but only owns a reported 20%. He wasn't a whale when he bought the team, only a big fish. Would have to be something in the contract about buying out minority interests. He surely couldn't afford all or most of 80% at one time.

almost every other GM made the same move (passing/missing on Mitchell). that seems like a ridiculous criteria for a "final straw".
mitchell was projected around 10 or 11. We could have picked tenth. The Trailblazers, Hornets, and Pistons didn't take him. Two of those teams I would much rather be right now and the Hornets suck, do you want us to benchmark with the Hornets? It is just another miss for Vlade.

mitchell was projected around 10 or 11. We could have picked tenth. The Trailblazers, Hornets, and Pistons didn't take him. Two of those teams I would much rather be right now and the Hornets suck, do you want us to benchmark with the Hornets? It is just another miss for Vlade.
You may be right (when I posted that I was thinking of Kuzma my bad) but lets see what Giles becomes first then? If Giles meets the hype then it should be ok

With our glut of SG's on this team, you have no way of knowing if he would have even had the opportunity to blow up like he has. And in the meantime we have JJ coming on in a position of need and a"complete unknown" in Giles. Just another miss might actually be two hits (remains to be seen) for Vlade.

Vlade said next season was the make or break year, I just don't think anything about this season other than Hill being less than worthless has been shocking. This was to be a growth year and to get the players to run a system Joerger thinks will work moving forward while simultaneously evaluating talent.

Even with Papa and Malachi, something had to give. They wouldn't or couldn't find a way to fit into the team and so they're gone.
I would bet my house that we get nowhere near the playoffs next year. The talent gap between us and the other western conference teams is just too big as Vlades moves have done nothing but put us in a worse position. I do not even fully blame Vlade for all of this, he was not ready for a job of this magnitude Vivek runs the show and needed a PR shield. Until Vivek allows a real GM to actually run the show we will not see any success.

given that Mitchell was projected to go 10 or 11, the GM community as a whole did not see him as a franchise player during the draft. so Vlade traded down a 10th pick for Giles and JJ. The move should be judged based on how Giles+JJ compare to your usual 10th pick, not how they compare to a 13th pick that, with hindsight, looks like a franchise player.

given that Mitchell was projected to go 10 or 11, the GM community as a whole did not see him as a franchise player during the draft. so Vlade traded down a 10th pick for Giles and JJ. The move should be judged based on how Giles+JJ compare to your usual 10th pick, not how they compare to a 13th pick that, with hindsight, looks like a franchise player.
So Vlade is supposed to listen to other GMs on if he thinks a player could be a star? The kings will never make it out of this rut by looking at it from that point of view. Giles is a major question mark, Justin Jackson was viewed as potentially too slow for the NBA - not my words, this was from draft prospect reports. Time will tell. But I am a big fan of Joerger, Vlade is another story. I don't care when he played in Sacramento or what he did while as a player, as a GM he sucks

So Vlade is supposed to listen to other GMs on if he thinks a player could be a star? The kings will never make it out of this rut by looking at it from that point of view. Giles is a major question mark, Justin Jackson was viewed as potentially too slow for the NBA - not my words, this was from draft prospect reports. Time will tell. But I am a big fan of Joerger, Vlade is another story. I don't care when he played in Sacramento or what he did while as a player, as a GM he sucks
Vlade is not supposed to listen to other GMs but if not recognizing Mitchell's franchise player potential makes a GM suck, then all of them do :). But agreed, Vlade's time as a player should not have any bearing on evaluating his performance as a GM. Time will tell. Here is hoping Giles pans out...

Vlade wasn't supposed to listen to other GM's (wasn't aware that other GM's were making pronouncements) but WAS supposed to listen to what the pundits were saying about Justin Jackson. He does look like he might just now be a player after all, doesn't he? You can't have it both ways.

Vlade wasn't supposed to listen to other GM's (wasn't aware that other GM's were making pronouncements) but WAS supposed to listen to what the pundits were saying about Justin Jackson. He does look like he might just now be a player after all, doesn't he? You can't have it both ways.
From watching college basketball I could confirm Justin Jackson is a slow player - same as reports-it was easy to see. Anything said about Donovan Mitchell was not for sure -- he manhandled Kentucky last year. It was clear to see he was special and a freak athlete.

I would bet my house that we get nowhere near the playoffs next year. The talent gap between us and the other western conference teams is just too big as Vlades moves have done nothing but put us in a worse position. I do not even fully blame Vlade for all of this, he was not ready for a job of this magnitude Vivek runs the show and needed a PR shield. Until Vivek allows a real GM to actually run the show we will not see any success.
Let's assume we win 25 or less games this year. I would say we need to win 35-40 games next season, which won't be good enough, but would show enough improvement that we can continue. It would also put the pick in the 10-14 range which takes most of the sting off and I think we could probably buy a pick in that range if we really need one.

I think this is true - especially the well heeled club/courtside contract holders who Vivek holds so dear. Those poor saps are in contracts with 3-5% annual price escalators, while they have not dared to jack up the price on regular season ticket holders because they can't take the sure defections that would result.

The people who believed the most - the ones who signed the longest terms with the highest escalators - they ought to be just outraged and I mean pitchforks at the door level of outrage. I routinely buy their $300 club seats on stubhub for $125. They can't be liking that!! They are stuck in a 5 year deal with rising prices that aren't remotely justified... I mean Warriors type of prices. And so yes there has got to be extreme pressure to be a winner NEXT year .. or it will be Vlade's ass.
You may be overrating the impact of rich people and their need for the Kings to win now. You buy $125 seats, so I’d guess you’re somewhere in the middle class. It’s probably not easy for you to pay $125 for one seat, but presumably you can afford it and a nice dinner to boot. The guy who is sitting in the grass at Raley Field can’t even afford the tip at your restaurant. You and he are the guys most likely to be wielding pitchforks. The rich guy (who only goes to your restaurant when he’s slumming it) is distracted by a new car he saw in the parking garage, or his bitcoin investment that took a dive that day. He lost his pitchfork a long time ago.

Just playing with you, dude. Hope you haven’t lost your sense of humor!

You may be overrating the impact of rich people and their need for the Kings to win now. You buy $125 seats, so I’d guess you’re somewhere in the middle class. It’s probably not easy for you to pay $125 for one seat, but presumably you can afford it and a nice dinner to boot. The guy who is sitting in the grass at Raley Field can’t even afford the tip at your restaurant. You and he are the guys most likely to be wielding pitchforks. The rich guy (who only goes to your restaurant when he’s slumming it) is distracted by a new car he saw in the parking garage, or his bitcoin investment that took a dive that day. He lost his pitchfork a long time ago.

Most rich people didn't get rich by being stupid. I would suspect that those that bought the expensive packages before the Cousins trade may not be happy about the change in direction with the trade of Cousins from win now to rebuild, but are smart enough to realize there will be no instant turn around. Some of them may even welcome the change.

Most rich people didn't get rich by being stupid. I would suspect that those that bought the expensive packages before the Cousins trade may not be happy about the change in direction with the trade of Cousins from win now to rebuild, but are smart enough to realize there will be no instant turn around. Some of them may even welcome the change.
You are right, the Cousins trade yes - it made a lot of people unhappy. And a lot of the rich people purchased luxury seats to utilize for clients etc. Cousins produced an entertaining brand of basketball. He was a star - Nobody wants to watch scrubs. I think initially a lot of people were ok with the trade but they didn't realize/understand the amount of rebuilding that was coming.

The problem is you cannot raise the prices out the roof if you plan on rebuilding. When the arena opened - Vivek Vlade etc sold everyone on a win now mentality, set the prices that way then switched gears to rebuild and luxury ticket holders are not happy about that. As I said, money talks, and Vivek is hearing it and listening. We are a long way off from being competitive and this team has no star players right now/yet (hopefully one of them becomes one like Cousins). It is a tough situation.

Last edited:

I would be just the line cook making your expensive meal for peanuts an hour. Thus is life!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.