[Game] Kings vs. Nuggets, 2/24/2022 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang. Well things are starting to form. The Kings need a coach that is going to ride what works and/or actually understands the high post game, and the Kings need some scoring punch somewhere next to Fox/Sabonis/Barnes.
That's where DDV/Lamb come in. Harkless turned back into a pumpkin being totally invisible on offense and Holiday is more or less the same when he's cold shooting the ball. DDV and Lamb give you some secondary ball-handling/playmaking along with good off-ball cuts. And I honestly think they're probably better defensively too.

Fox being non-existent on both ends of the floor I feel lost us this game.

He has to be better than that, Sabonis can't do everything himself
Flat out, Gentry FINALLY running Fox in middle pick and roll once the game was out of reach was a slap to the face. Put him there, he'll get his and put Jokic in the grinder. If anyone thought attempting to out Jokic Jokic was a good call, well, the refs say hi. haha. Maybe when the Kings get respect but until then they're going to give Jokic the game ball.

gunks

Hall of Famer

Wouldn't surprise me if McNair continues to try and shop him (if he rehabs his value).

Such a bummer Hali was the one who got traded. Sabonis is a stud though!

Shame, this game was there for the taking. Bad Gentry rotations once again gave Nuggets a ton of momentum at the start of the 4th and they never gave it back.

Think Im ready to abandon the Harkless/Holiday starting pairing. Or at least Harkless. Get Lamb or DDV in there.
I think the main caveat here is that we all knew that Holiday/Harkness couldn't be starters if this team was going to go to the next level, particularly Harkless.

And I think we should go for Davis or Mathurin in the draft above all else provided we stay where are. The 4 is more pressing, but let's face it, the Sabonis shut the door on the asset collection phase, and a rookie frontcourt player isn't going to put this team on the fast track to success.

The 2/3 wing rotation with DDV, Holiday, and even Mitchell can hold down the fort well enough to take your time homegrowing a better prospect, but the 4 spot needs immediate help in the off-season via a trade or FA.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Yeah, I agree. He has to be the second star for us every night. Walking it up and then just dumping it to Sabonis without even trying to force a switch is just not going to get it done. I don't see why they can't run a pick and roll with Sabonis as the roll man and then let him look for that high-low pass or something once defenders are already backpedaling. Having a big who can pass from the top of the key is a luxury we should exploit but that doesn't mean we need to run the same play every time he's on the floor.

Regardless, the script is there. Work through the Fox/Sabonis 2-man game, get smart cutters off Sabonis high post action, find consistent shooting and find more Davion's that actually give a crap on defense (DDV is a good start). In the meantime, losing games is still fine since we shouldn't really care about winning until the start of next season. Work the kinks out now, build chemistry with the guys we know are going to be here and infuse them with the right talent at the end of the season and hopefully a top pick.

I wonder what you could get Lamb to resign for? It'd be kind of hard to believe if he got the same contract (3/33, or something close) after he's pretty well disappointed for most of the contract with injuries.

I think the main caveat here is that we all knew that Holiday/Harkness couldn't be starters if this team was going to go to the next level, particularly Harkless.

And I think we should go for Davis or Mathurin in the draft above all else provided we stay where are. The 4 is more pressing, but let's face it, the Sabonis shut the door on the asset collection phase, and a rookie frontcourt player isn't going to put this team on the fast track to success.

The 2/3 wing rotation with DDV, Holiday, and even Mitchell can hold down the fort well enough to take your time homegrowing a better prospect, but the 4 spot needs immediate help in the off-season via a trade or FA.
The hole is at SG for sure. Which isn't surprising when you trade both your number 1 and 2 options at the deadline at that spot, haha. Plenty of options on draft night to fill it.

Well, i liked a lot of what i saw. Defending the 3 point line is difficult for us but we gotta be better. They also just couldn’t miss. What a brutal schedule to have to play them back to back

Yeah, I think Holiday/Harkless are the right archetype, they just need to be... good? But it's pretty telling that we get significantly better when Mitchell/DDV/Lamb come in and fill those wing spots. With Holiday's cold shooting and Harkless being Harkless again, the Kings are playing 3on5 far too often with the starting unit. That's just too much time to punt for the bench to come in and save the day.

Assuming we don't pop into the top 4 and stick around 5-11, we should be able to get an incredibly useful wing prospect.

Dang. Well things are starting to form. The Kings need a coach that is going to ride what works and/or actually understands the high post game, and the Kings need some scoring punch somewhere next to Fox/Sabonis/Barnes.
This! Although I’m confident DDV can make something happen as he adjusts and grows. I really think we can rack up some wins after the next game against Denver

Yeah, I think Holiday/Harkless are the right archetype, they just need to be... good? But it's pretty telling that we get significantly better when Mitchell/DDV/Lamb come in and fill those wing spots. With Holiday's cold shooting and Harkless being Harkless again, the Kings are playing 3on5 far too often with the starting unit. That's just too much time to punt for the bench to come in and save the day.

Assuming we don't pop into the top 4 and stick around 5-11, we should be able to get an incredibly useful wing prospect.
I don't even think Holiday really even got the ball. He had a curl 3 just after hitting one and De'Arron didn't pass to him.

Flat out, Gentry FINALLY running Fox in middle pick and roll once the game was out of reach was a slap to the face. Put him there, he'll get his and put Jokic in the grinder. If anyone thought attempting to out Jokic Jokic was a good call, well, the refs say hi. haha. Maybe when the Kings get respect but until then they're going to give Jokic the game ball.
This. We tried to outdo the Nuggets by mimicking them when we may not have a Jokic, but they don’t have a DeAaron Fox out there either. We gotta play to all of our strengths, not just one (in Sabonis).

The hole is at SG for sure. Which isn't surprising when you trade both your number 1 and 2 options at the deadline at that spot, haha. Plenty of options on draft night to fill it.
Maybe I'm just an unrealistic homer, but I think DDV is the answer once he's fully ready to go. The player he was for the Bucks before he got hurt was exactly the right archetype to put next to Fox/Barnes/Sabonis on both ends of the court. Add a wing in the draft and grab a rotation player or 2 in FA (Malik Monk? Chris Boucher? Resign Lamb?) with a new coach and this team should be in position to compete for a 5-6 seed.

I agree. If this team had both Bridges this would be a different story for example. Better players make you better, shocking.

Í also feel there's a plethora of gettable 3/4 Barnes types that could be realistically had, particularly in Washington and Charlotte. But for the life of me, I can't think of any available 2s or 2/3 wings that could vault this team so I think the only available route would be to develop one in the draft or otherwise go with DDV.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't know... it seems like suspect NFT trading is about as mainstream right now as cocaine use was in the 80s. He wouldn't be the first NBA player to be guilty of succumbing to bad financial advice.
Plus the controversy appears to stem from Fox wanting to spend more time on basketball, which is kinda the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.