[Game] Kings vs Mavs, 8/4/2020 11:30AM PST 3:30AM JST

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm glad I didn't get to watch this. I can't help but laugh when I see that two Mavericks players had almost 40 rebounds combined and both of them aren't even big men. Also, I hope Bogdanovic isn't re-signed this offseason. Bazemore should be the top priority here. He is a keeper and brings it every game.

Hmm. I like the kid baze but calling fans bandwagoners on twitter isn't much good.

Our fans are some of the longest suffering in world sports and still support the team in every way.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Bogi has one good game out of 3. That gets coaches and GM’s fired because you are a lottery team over and over. I think he’s a net negative whereas Bazemore, although can be sketchy on offense at times is not a net negative.
Exactly. You could still have a bad night on offense and not be a net negative if you hustle and D up. Bogi is hot garbage when his shot isn't falling.

And you may be being generous giving him 1 good game out of 3.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Exactly. You could still have a bad night on offense and not be a net negative if you hustle and D up. Bogi is hot garbage when his shot isn't falling.

And you may be being generous giving him 1 good game out of 3.
Bogi’s an odd case because he’ll have huge performances in FIBA for the national team and have guys like Bill Simmons falling over themselves to clamor that he deserves more touches on the Kings or whatever and then the Kings will give him the ball and a tremendous amount of leeway and then he’ll pretty much turn into a pumpkin 7/10 times.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Someone has to tell Boogie that his body still ended up imploding and Vlade might have saved the team from a Chris Webber contract scenario. Just sayin'.
Regrettable but entirely true. Had DMC stayed healthy and put up the numbers he was capable of making, it would be different. But he's speaking out of bitterness and it's not a good look for him IMHO. He needs to get out on the court and let his game do his talking for him, if that's even still possible.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I really thought that speed and athleticism was the route this team was taking when they drafted Bagley and tried to get Levine from the Bulls. I was ready to watch the plan and see how it panned out.

But I'm beyond frustrated at the fact that we keep bringing in coaches who prefer crafty, deliberate, ball pounding players over players with speed and athleticism. It's easier to get behind the team if you at least understand the plan.
A reason got behind the Justin James pick and watching him. Yeah, he has a ways to go but his athleticism is refreshing. And I get now why Jeffries is getting some attention. I personally think Guy with the ball in his hands is fast....not a freak athlete but he shoots the crap out of the ball.

Lots of frustrating things going on but we are losing, with some vets who won’t be here, getting big minutes.......and we haven’t developed the 3 young guys one bit.

Here is my take on what I have seen so far in the first three games. I am trying to not get down because I felt we had a chance to get in the playoffs. The team is simply not good enough. The Kings need to figure out a way to keep Baze. He is not to big for the moment.... Buddy/ Bogi I dont really care. Both seem to find ways to underachieve in the big moments. I may be in the minority, but this team desperately needs Bagleys offense. The chance at the playoffs have shown that we need a guy that can go get a bucket in the post. I have not given up on him, but He may need to hit leg day to get stronger. I tire of listening to Christie sounding like he would be a good coach. They should just give him a chance already......

Regrettable but entirely true. Had DMC stayed healthy and put up the numbers he was capable of making, it would be different. But he's speaking out of bitterness and it's not a good look for him IMHO. He needs to get out on the court and let his game do his talking for him, if that's even still possible.
Yeah, I feel for the dude, but spilled milk Cuz. Kings fans especially don't need the dumping right now.

I've never thought that Bjelica should be starting at the PF position. He's an off the bench player in my mind. Barnes, is best as a third option, but they should call his number more. He's taken a total of 19 shots in all three games. Buddy took more shots in this game alone. Barnes is what he is. a decent to good defender, and the consummate team player. Meaning he's not one to freelance if his numbers not called. There were games this season when Walton went to Barnes time after time and he kept us in games. But he's not going to go Michael Jordan on you. You want to argue he's a little overpaid, fine, but that's not his fault.

The only reason we weren't blown out in this game is because the Mav's couldn't make a three point shot. If they had hit anything close to their normal percentage, they would have beat us by 20 pt's. I would agree that the ref's seemed to love the Mav's, sending them to the line 50 times, but they did attack the basket more than we did, and they killed us on the boards, 61 to 47. They got way too many 2nd chance points. Our team has no inside presence. Our best post up player is Barnes, but you have to give him the right match up. Posting up against Porzingis is not the ideal matchup.

I'm also curious why Walton went with Joseph for Bjelica instead of either Bazemore or Jeffries? I mean you replaced a 6'10" player with a 6'3" player. Why not a taller player that's also a good defender? I'm really surprised the Mav's didn't take advantage of some of the switch matchups they got. By the way, Bjelica passed up 5 wide open three's before he finally shot one, and that was in the 4th quarter. The whole idea of him being on the floor is to shoot the three, something he's known to be good at. Play to your strengths Beli!!!
If Bjelica had Dirks attitude he could be a very interesting option but he doesn't and that unselfishness and sometimes passiveness often leads him to turn down shots that this team is honestly better with him taking. In a role player that unselfish attitude is great but Luke puts him in sets that land him squarely in that 1/2 option slot. In the right set up and at center in a spread unit he shows his potential with this roster, but that's about the extent of the fit with the way he's being used. He's also not someone you can play a full quarter and half and OT straight. He's asked to do too much already. Help inside, closeout, run pick and roll up top, defend the paint. Thibs was laughing at this one.

Bogi’s an odd case because he’ll have huge performances in FIBA for the national team and have guys like Bill Simmons falling over themselves to clamor that he deserves more touches on the Kings or whatever and then the Kings will give him the ball and a tremendous amount of leeway and then he’ll pretty much turn into a pumpkin 7/10 times.
Ahem.... pick and roll. Pick and roll. Pick and roll. And... pick and roll. If you want anything close to the real Bogdan that's the only chance. But hey, playing Bjelica like Shaq, Buddy as your backup PG, Bogdan as your SG? Makes total sense, haha. At this point it's not even funny. Walton literally, LITERALLY, has Bogdan and Buddy's roles reversed. This is insane.

Just finished watching the recording.
I just want to point it was one hell of an effort on the refs part. Just when it looked bleak for them and Dallas, their persistence was rewarded.

Good effort on the Kings part. The 4th quarter and overtime iso offense with the lack of any movement, ball or player wise was just horrific.

Kudos for Walton to instill Cojo in place of Bjelica to set the tone defensively but the reality is Walton is not very good.

And I’m of the opinion that we shouldn’t give Bogi anything resembling a big or semi big contract. These first 3 games in the bubble are a clear example of what Bogi is.....good game 1, worse in game 2, downright helped cost the game in game 3. He’s a coach killer. I like him but not for the contract he wants and his inconsistency is going to kill us. We can get the same production from an overall game standpoint from Bazemore.

Same goes for Bjelica. Really like him. But hes a net negative way to many games. Make the hard call and go in another direction.

I don’t think we need to rebuild. But we do need to move on from some pieces and get better fitting more athletic and quicker pieces. And Bagley is a key piece. He and Holmes are the center rotation.

Really need to play Jeffries the remainder of the way. And quite honestly Guy and James. I’m assuming we are out. If we got a chance you wait on Guy and James but at some point this is free opportunity to evaluate and get a head start on next year.
I’m with you.
I’m not sure I want either of our two shooting guards after this season. Neither are good enough defensively to make up for the hot and cold and colder shooting.

Put Bogi on the Spurs and put Buddy on the Warriors or something and they'd both be borderline all-stars at minimum. It's too bad our coach and GM suck. Don't get me wrong, Buddy has been pooping the bed in the bubble, but if I were him and I knew Luke was going to be around for next season I'd try to get traded ASAP. How Bazemore got so many wide open corner 3s while we can't run more than a single play every game to get our 3 point champion an open one is beyond me.

I’m with you.
I’m not sure I want either of our two shooting guards after this season. Neither are good enough defensively to make up for the hot and cold and colder shooting.
That's the thing though, with Buddy it's not as if he has always been this extent of a streaky shooter (mind you lately we're still waiting for the hot...). I don't think he had this kind of extreme variation all of the last two seasons; he was one of the most efficient scorers last season.

I’m not sure that’s relevant to the point Boogie’s making about him having always been the Kings scapegoat (for 7 years anyway).
Well I'm not sure you can call him "always being the Kings scapegoat" when Westphal, Smart, Malone, Corbin, Karl (am I missing someone?), PDA were all fired in his time here ...

I’m not sure that’s relevant to the point Boogie’s making about him having always been the Kings scapegoat (for 7 years anyway).
Because we all know where it stems from and who that comment was directed towards. DMC never ended up getting that mega deal and so on. Vlades fault? Maybe. But in the end it was likely a bullet dodged.

It's all going according to plan. Kings lose the first 3 games to start off the bubble games. Then reel of 4 of 5 or 5 out of 5 to end the season, tied with portland. But due to the season stoppage portland will advance to the play in game with a slightly better winning percentage. Ahh the life of a Kings fan...

It's all going according to plan. Kings lose the first 3 games to start off the bubble games. Then reel of 4 of 5 or 5 out of 5 to end the season, tied with portland. But due to the season stoppage portland will advance to the play in game with a slightly better winning percentage. Ahh the life of a Kings fan...
That would be typical Kangz, but i actually don’t see us even winning a single game at this point.

None of them care

It’s easy to point to the missed three’s, but wasn’t that offset by all the GD free throws?? If they didn’t get those and shot better from 3, might have been in the same spot regardless.

Btw, shame on the NBA for reversing the charge call on #77 just to spare him from foul trouble. That was a charge all day, every day. Don’t care if Barnes was ever so slightly moving. That charge call happens game in game out and the KINGS are called for it all the freaking time. #77 initiated contact and barreled over Barnes.

Calls just like that are what led to 50 free throws.
I don’t know about that one when contact was made Luka hit Barnes on his shoulder area. To me that’s a block if the contact his in the chest it’s a clear charge but it looked like Luka side stepped the charge attempt.

RENAME THE ENTIRE ARENA AFTER BOOGIE AND MAKE HIM GM AND CO-OWNER
if he didn’t act like a child he’d still be here and this is coming from a guy who was boogie’s number one guy

I don’t know about that one when contact was made Luka hit Barnes on his shoulder area. To me that’s a block if the contact his in the chest it’s a clear charge but it looked like Luka side stepped the charge attempt.

if he didn’t act like a child he’d still be here and this is coming from a guy who was boogie’s number one guy
Yeah, well, to defend him — everyone was so hellbent on ‘culture’ and bitching and complaining how Boogie was our lot in life and how things would change markedly once the crybaby was gone.

But guess what? The crybaby has been gone for years now and this team is chock full of supposed good kids that don’t whine and complain after every single call and seem to get along and gel in the locker room.

Yet the KINGS are, well, no better. Might actually be worse.

Because it’s about having talent that can actually step up when things matter most. Boogie was a player that could do that and did do that on a consistent basis. Despite a ton of defensive attention and not a lot of help.

Who does the team have now that can do something similar? Fox can sometimes. With his speed and ball handling. He’s the closest thing to a Cousins this team has. A guy that affects and changes defenses. No other player on the KINGS other than Buddy Hield when he’s shooting it well causes the defense to focus on them.

Imagine Boogie pre-injury and Swipa together? How might that look? Boogie‘s dominance down low drawing defenders with Fox’s speed and ability to get to the rim complimenting him.

That’s the part of the puzzle the KINGS can’t seem to put together. Having two mega pieces at the same time.

No one player can do it on their own. But a duo can. The KINGS only ever manage to have one of those pieces at a time.

They had the chance to rectify that in 2018 but selected the wrong player to compliment Fox. And they’re gonna continue to suffer from that decision unless they get lucky and find another mega piece before Fox‘s tenure in SAC is done.

Circling back to Cousin’s twitter comment, yes, I agree, it’s juvenile. And he is and was a huge pain in the @$$. But I’d much rather have a player or two that is a problem than a bunch of good dudes that aren’t near as impactful.

Everyone loves Kobe Bryant nowadays. But anybody that followed his entire career knows what a huge pain in the @$$ he was. He wasn’t a great teammate. He and Shaq together was toxic. But they won. For a while anyway.

Boogie was no Shaq or Kobe, but had he been paired with another player comparable to his own ability, he’d have won a ton more games in SAC than he did.

Same goes for De’Aaron Fox.

One thing that has to be said loud and clear is that our best players are just playing bad basketball.

Yes, Fox is putting up a great numbers for himself, but he was incapable of calling a single play in the last 5 minutes. Those iso attacks over 2-3 opposing players are the way we play basketball for fun outside of the building. He can score 40 each night as far as I’m concerned but Kings are going nowhere with him as a #1 player. Just compared Doncic’s game with Fox’s game tonight and you will understand the difference. Fox is not a facilitator, he doesn’t have a high BBIQ and cannot score on a consistent basis.
First, it’s not Fox’s fault the team was forced by their coach to stop running and slow it down every single time down the floor the last 5 minutes of the game & play against their strengths.

You know this team likes to get out and run. And as G-Man and DC pointed out a couple times down the stretch, the KINGS had opportunities to do so but elected not to. That’s because that’s what they were coached to do. Unlike other team’s and other situations, Fox isn’t given carte blanche to run whatever he wants when he wants down the stretch.

You really think the team wouldn’t run at all if he did? You think the offense would have went through Bogdanovic multiple times the final 4 minutes in today’s game despite being 0 for double digits shooting?

That’s all on Luke Walton, not De’Aaron Fox.

Furthermore, comparing #77 with Swipa is just an awful comparison. One is set completely free to do what he wants and what he does best while the other is not. Just like how some GM’s just have a knack for drafting and acquiring talent while others do not, some coaches know how to utilize their players talents better than others.

In short, you’re making judgements based upon how the player’s are currently utilized. I don’t think many would disagree that #77 is far outperforming Fox given the ways they are utilized.

But that doesn’t mean #77 wouldn’t underperform if misused or that Fox couldn’t excel much, much more than he does now when surrounded by the right talent and utilized in a more effective manner.

I firmly believe #77 has been surrounded by talent that meshes and compliments the things he does well much more than Fox has been surrounded by talent that works best with his skillset.

Last edited:
The problem we had down the stretch was not being slow per se it was not moving the ball at all.

we had maybe 3 or 4 key possessions in a row where we dribbled up the floor and just pounded the ball and did nothing.

i simply don't believe that is what Walton said to the team. "dearron bring it up pound the ball don't pass to anyone and take a contested mid ranger, oh and do it four times in a row got it!"