[Game] Kings vs. Magic, 2/12/2021, 7pm PST, 10pm EST

SLAB

Hall of Famer
That stood out to me as well. Laughable is a good way to describe it.

When CoJo and Belly are on the floor for a combined 57 minutes, it’s a recipe for a loss.

I get that Swipa and Bagley were out. But damn. Orlando stinks. And didn’t even have a full squad.

There’s not only no good excuse for Belly‘s deficient @$$ to be on the floor so much after not playing for a month, but CoJo getting more minutes than Tyrese Haliburton should land Walton in the NBA‘s version of a mental institution.

I mean, thanks so much for just giving this game away. And for no good reason.
I’m glad I’m not the only one with little love for Beli. Lol

There’s not only no good excuse for Belly‘s deficient @$$ to be on the floor so much after not playing for a month, but CoJo getting more minutes than Tyrese Haliburton should land Walton in the NBA‘s version of a mental institution.

were you even watching the game? The starters were taking a dump on the floor. Bjeli was a +10 and it wasn’t just garbage minutes. The starters let the lead balloon to almost 20 points. After Luke replaced them all, the second group got the team within striking distance. Cut the lead to 9 and was about 13 when he subbed the starters back in who let the lead balloon up again to almost 20. Reinsert bjelli and Jeffries back in and they cut the lead to 9 again but couldn’t get over the hump having to cut a 18 point lead in half twice in the half. Bjelli has had his fair share of bad games but this loss was no way his fault. He didn’t let vucevic and MCW go off or lead the team in turnovers. If 15/9/6 and +10 +/-doesn’t deserve some minutes in this game, I dunno what to tell you.

but CoJo getting more minutes than Tyrese Haliburton should land Walton in the NBA‘s version of a mental institution.

I can't agree with this take in this particular instance. Ty was having a really rough stretch with several boneheaded turnovers (he would say this himself) and wasn't doing much on offense. -19 plus minus.

Cojo was 5-7 and finished +7

The only reason we didn't lose by 30 is because Walton pulled all the starters and ran Whiteside, Guy, DQJ, Belly and Cojo. That group was in on most of the 14-3 run in the third that got the Kings back to within 9.

I see Steelevt beat me to the punch.

were you even watching the game?
Were you?

First, don’t cite me +- BS. It’s been proven a flawed way to evaluate. I mean, by that logic the entire KINGS bench should start next game. But what do you think their +- would look like next game??

Furthermore, Vucevic was clearly the most impactful Orlando player tonight yet THREE of his teammates ended up with higher +. Take that for data.

Secondly, it’s not about Belly‘s offensive production.
It’s what he doesn’t do on the other end of the floor. He and CoJo.

Those two players played the 3rd and 4th most minutes tonight behind HB and Buddy Hield.

If they were as positively impactful as you’ve fooled yourself into believing, the game would have been much closer.

Last edited:
I see Steelevt beat me to the punch.
You guys really need to stop reading +- boxscores.

Belly and CoJo do not play winning basketball. There’s no valid argument to lay out against that.

I’d rather see the KINGS continue to take their chances with Haliburton making boneheaded turnovers and gaining experience from it than to see them throw in the towel by playing defensive deficient bench scrubs — one of which has been terrible all season and the other has been buried on the bench for over 4 weeks — which has zero upside.

IDC how bad Holmes and Haliburton were. They need to play more than Belly and CoJo. Period, end of story.

Were you?

First, don’t cite me +- BS. It’s been proven a flawed way to evaluate. I mean, by that logic the entire KINGS bench should start next game. But what do you think their +- would look like next game??

Furthermore, Vucevic was clearly the most impactful Orlando player tonight yet THREE of his teammates ended up with higher +. Take that for data.

Secondly, it’s not about Belly‘s offensive production.
It’s what he doesn’t do on the other end of the floor. He and CoJo.

Those two players played the 3rd and 4th most minutes tonight behind HB and Buddy Hield.

If they were as positively impactful as you’ve fooled yourself into believing, the game would have been much closer.
I watched the game AND described the sequence that showed you were wrong. +/- isn’t the end all be all but in this case it backed up my argument as well as other stats I posted which were points rebounds and assists. Also these players didn’t play the whole 3rd and 4th quarters. As I explained it my post in case you didn’t watch the games. The starters let the score get to 18. Then bjelli and the bench were put in and cut the lead in half. They were taken out in the 4th and the lead blew up again to 18, when they were subbed back in during the 4th, lead was cut down again. Rewatch it, read the play by play, whatever. My accounts proved I watched the game. This loss was not on bjelly but you go ahead and post bias as evidence.

IDC how bad Holmes and Haliburton were. They need to play more than Belly and CoJo. Period, end of story.
Stuff like this is why I question you even watched the game. Bjelli was subbed in for the 4 not 5. He played with whiteside and holmes. I don’t think he even play the 5 til the very end when holmes proved he played one of his worst defensive games of the year letting vucevic rain 3s on him. Some players have bad games but it doesn’t mean bench them forever. A coach should play the hot hand. If bags or whiteside is playing better than holmes, yeah you keep riding them. I thought bjelli deserved minutes over gr3 not holmes.

Last edited:
were you even watching the game? The starters were taking a dump on the floor. Bjeli was a +10 and it wasn’t just garbage minutes. The starters let the lead balloon to almost 20 points. After Luke replaced them all, the second group got the team within striking distance. Cut the lead to 9 and was about 13 when he subbed the starters back in who let the lead balloon up again to almost 20. Reinsert bjelli and Jeffries back in and they cut the lead to 9 again but couldn’t get over the hump having to cut a 18 point lead in half twice in the half. Bjelli has had his fair share of bad games but this loss was no way his fault. He didn’t let vucevic and MCW go off or lead the team in turnovers. If 15/9/6 and +10 +/-doesn’t deserve some minutes in this game, I dunno what to tell you.
The irrational hate for a high IQ player who plays a team game of basketball is one of the reason I spend way less time here.

This happens every few years. The second we think they're turning the corner, they promptly go out and get annihilated by a bottom dweller team. They lose confidence and go back to playing 10th seed basketball for the rest of the year.

This happens every few years. The second we think they're turning the corner, they promptly go out and get annihilated by a bottom dweller team. They lose confidence and go back to playing 10th seed basketball for the rest of the year.
that has been our history but I actually believe this year is different.

as far as what happened with the Magic, this happens time and time again where a team that has no business winning or even being competitive comes out and dominates. Goes to show you how much the NBA is a mental game.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

as far as what happened with the Magic, this happens time and time again where a team that has no business winning or even being competitive comes out and dominates. Goes to show you how much the NBA is a mental game.
I’ll admit I’m a little worried about what happens if/when Fox stops going superstar and falls to lowly regular star. Are his past ~10 games really sustainable?

I hope you're right but we've seen this happen way too many times in the past so they'll have to prove it.

Normally we could have used the Fox injury as an excuse but not when you look at the Magic's injuries. That was basically a team of retreads and G Leaguers led by Vucevic.

I’ll admit I’m a little worried about what happens if/when Fox stops going superstar and falls to lowly regular star. Are his past ~10 games really sustainable?
No they are certainly not. I do think we continue to see strides from Ty. Buddy in theory will shoot better than 37 percent and we now have som additional depth to turn to. We probably won’t know for sure with this team until the trade deadline

No, it's not. Last night would have been the perfect time for Buddy to go supernova and pick up the slack. I'm afraid that Buddy is gone for the most part under this system.

Look at the lakers past few games. They needed OT to beat the pistons, okc x2 and were down 22-2 vs the grizzlies. Sometimes you take a team lightly or sometimes they play above their level. We were playing a team we beat wire to wire earlier and thought we could beat them easily again. Also vucevic has only scored over 40 one other time this year and hasn’t shot 6/8 from 3. Don’t get me wrong, I know he’s good, but he doesn’t avg those numbers. I think it’s a combo of us not taking them seriously and like you said, a team that has no business winning coming out and dominating.

R

Reyes134

I didn't watch the game but checked out the highlights. Vuc had a lot of open 3's with the pass and pop behind the 3 line. No one followed him to contest those threes. He was 5 for 5 out there? We gotta get our bigs to stretch out there, Holmes was having trouble following him. I saw a lot of turnovers as well. Between those 2 factors, i believe that's the game. Belly looked pretty good actually and Cojo was decent. How can the blame be put on them?!

R

Reyes134

He was actually 6 of 8 from beyond the arc. A lot of open trailing 3's and 1 point shy of career high. No switching or guarding him as he is coming down the court and stopping for open 3. Lack of communication and defensive awareness. No scheme or gameplan to slow down their best player. Ouch!

No they are certainly not. I do think we continue to see strides from Ty. Buddy in theory will shoot better than 37 percent and we now have som additional depth to turn to. We probably won’t know for sure with this team until the trade deadline
The depth was there, Walton decided earlier to bench Bjelica and shorten rotation ......when you play without your all-star guard playing the best basketball in his career, there's gonna be some fallout. Fox single-handedly willed 2 or 3 of those wins - especially vs the Clippers. I think expectations may have pegged higher though.

The depth was there, Walton decided earlier to bench Bjelica and shorten rotation ......
DQJ and Parker have been out with injury. We may never know about Belly, but Kayte said just last night he was out for personal reasons and a back issue. That could very well be just an excuse for pulling him out of the rotation but seems like an unnecessary lie. Fans said the same thing about Whiteside not playing until he himself said he was injured and that was the reason for missed time.

DQJ and Parker have been out with injury. We may never know about Belly, but Kayte said just last night he was out for personal reasons and a back issue. That could very well be just an excuse for pulling him out of the rotation but seems like an unnecessary lie. Fans said the same thing about Whiteside not playing until he himself said he was injured and that was the reason for missed time.
Back against I think it was Portland, a player on the other team mentioned he was playing hurt before his DNP's.

If only our noted defensive wizard Marvin Bagley were healthy.
May not be a defensive wizard, but he takes pressure off of Holmes when he gets into foul trouble or when the team is facing a mobile center.

Bagley is technically a PF who plays some minutes at 5. Holmes should be better at defending 5s than him. When they're both in the game and Bagley is guarding the 5, has no one questioned why? So yeah, not having the full starting 5 and going with small ball for much of the game had a defensive impact. Bjelica is not good at defense, so they needed to adjust the scheme when he was in.

The Kings were terrible. Wholly terrible. Trying to break it down by individual players is fruitless. Orlando had the best player on the floor and the Kings did nothing to slow him down. This game makes me lean toward trading all players of value except for Fox, Tyrese and MB3 - trying to get a good lottery pick and flexibility and assets to try to grab another star. Knee jerk - yeah - but this game was eye opening.

The Kings were terrible. Wholly terrible. Trying to break it down by individual players is fruitless. Orlando had the best player on the floor and the Kings did nothing to slow him down. This game makes me lean toward trading all players of value except for Fox, Tyrese and MB3 - trying to get a good lottery pick and flexibility and assets to try to grab another star. Knee jerk - yeah - but this game was eye opening.
Outside of Fox not being there, the Kings reverted to much of what was never working on both ends and that is troubling when you trace back through Waltons tenure because this often didn't go back on the shelf too quickly. Too much ball swinging motion on one end, and waaay too much over help in the paint on the other.