[Game] Kings vs Grizzlies 1/23/2023 7:30pm Pacific 10:30pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
IMO, as far as NBA basketball is concerned, any game that you can watch out of market without having to be subscribed to NBA League Pass qualifies as a "nationally televised" game, but mileage obviously varies.
I don't really want to argue about it, but the gold standard used to be "network tv" but then just about every league moved to ESPN or TNT with all the media consolidations, so I'd say it's now basic cable. Most people get NBA TV but for some services it is an add on. A lot of the OTT streaming services didn't have it when they first started.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don’t understand the animosity towards the Grizz. I love what they’ve been able to do, and they’re not even in my top/10 of disliked teams.
I think it's Ja and some of his gametime antics.

Whenever a player receives favored nation status with officials and commentators, and still gripes to officials and flexes every trip down the court, it rubs people the wrong way if they aren't a fan of the team. On the flip it probably endears all the casual fans and convinces them the officials have it out for their team.

The main narrative i have heard about the grizz is that they talk a lot for a team that hasnt won anything
also have heard this

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Jesus. I prefer we play a healthy team at this point, because we almost always relax. Another test tonight
Personally, if I was going by our history this season I would prefer we play them with Ja and without Adams.

Adams is exactly the type of guy that's killed us even when we play well. And whether Ja is 100% or not, if he's on the court they are going to run through him which slightly lowers tonight's Tony Delk from surfacing.

If Adams is playing and Ja takes the night off I'll probably need some calming tea on hand.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't really want to argue about it, but the gold standard used to be "network tv" but then just about every league moved to ESPN or TNT with all the media consolidations, so I'd say it's now basic cable. Most people get NBA TV but for some services it is an add on. A lot of the OTT streaming services didn't have it when they first started.
When did they change the definition of "basic cable" to include ESPN and TNT?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Disney won't even let you have your local ABC affiliate if you don't carry ESPN, TNT was always on basic service that I recall.

Non-sports people get dramatically up in arms about this, which is hilarious because I see no reason to have legacy channels like MTV or Comedy Central or even the discovery type networks that show house hunter type shows all day long. That's exactly what Hulu type services are for.

The only thing that I ever need to see "live" is sports.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think at this point most bottom-tier cable packages include TNT and ESPN. I know there may be some streaming services (e.g. Sling) that have separate tiers for the ESPN products but at least around about these parts, I don't know if you could get a standard cable subscription without TNT/ESPN if you wanted to.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think at this point most bottom-tier cable packages include TNT and ESPN. I know there may be some streaming services (e.g. Sling) that have separate tiers for the ESPN products but at least around about these parts, I don't know if you could get a standard cable subscription without TNT/ESPN if you wanted to.
I think low income people are able to get OTA channels only by some kind of FCC requirement but I remember when I quit YouTube TV it was because Paramount forced them to take on all their crap channels (the aforementioned MTV and Comedy Central) and pay extra for the privilege or they would pull all CBS content.

OTT providers are not bound to include OTA channels like cable providers are though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Disney won't even let you have your local ABC affiliate if you don't carry ESPN, TNT was always on basic service that I recall.
You're a year older than me, so I don't know if this is a regional thing or not but, when my family first got cable in the early nineties, "basic cable" was whatever channels you could get over rabbit ears + Headline News. That was it; everything else was considered extra. It was called "basic cable" because it existed for the benefit of people who, for whatever reason (range/signal quality/etc.), were unable to receive local channels via over-the-air antenna.

Non-sports people get dramatically up in arms about this, which is hilarious because I see no reason to have legacy channels like MTV or Comedy Central or even the discovery type networks that show house hunter type shows all day long. That's exactly what Hulu type services are for.

The only thing that I ever need to see "live" is sports.
On this we are in accord, except that I do not fundamentally consider myself to be "sports people." I'm certainly not a sports fan in the way that a stereotypical American thinks of a sports fan.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
OTT providers are not bound to include OTA channels like cable providers are though.
That has, until very recently, been a barrier to my cutting the cord. Something like 99 percent of the television that I consumed was either available via OTA broadcast, or via channels that were exclusive to cable packages (like NBA TV). The channels in-between have typically served little use to me.

What counts as "won anything"? Championships only? And what is the time criteria for this threshold? Are any teams besides the most recent champions ever allowed to talk?
That would be a question for folks like charles barkley, as well as the comment section on facebook. The main argument I have heard from them is this current iteration hasnt made it to the wcf and should get there first. They are having a great season so far so they have room to talk personally.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think it's Ja and some of his gametime antics.

Whenever a player receives favored nation status with officials and commentators, and still gripes to officials and flexes every trip down the court, it rubs people the wrong way if they aren't a fan of the team. On the flip it probably endears all the casual fans and convinces them the officials have it out for their team.

also have heard this
Don't discount the power of just hating Steven Adams for being a semi-skilled thug, and while I really appreciate Dylan Brooks play his sniveling is pathetic.

Last edited:
I like watching Memphis play. They are a young, exciting team. I will watch for the antics, but in the past I have seen nothing on the level of Patrick Beverley or Kyrie Irving, for instance.

Ja Morant and Steven Adams are listed as day-to-day. Ja has a sore ankle. The Grizzlies are also on the second night of a back-to-back. He played 37 minutes against the Suns last night. Adams played 33.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I like the Grizzlies, it's just Ja Morant I can't stand. Not because of the flexing and posing but because of how often he dribbles then takes multiple steps then dribbles again then gets a free extra gather step on the way to the rim. It's fun when it's AND1 or the All-Star game and the whole point is to wow people with flashy plays but it's not really basketball anymore if dribbling is optional.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
You're a year older than me, so I don't know if this is a regional thing or not but, when my family first got cable in the early nineties, "basic cable" was whatever channels you could get over rabbit ears + Headline News. That was it; everything else was considered extra. It was called "basic cable" because it existed for the benefit of people who, for whatever reason (range/signal quality/etc.), were unable to receive local channels via over-the-air antenna.
Might be regional, when I was first old enough to pay my own bills, I bought the cheap cable and it had most everything except HBO and the premium movie channels.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I wonder if SLAB is like me in that, as a fan of wrasslin', I can't relate to disliking an athlete because of "antics"?
I will say my biggest thing as a Kings fan is guys who get just about every call there way who still complain.

Is it that they are so conditioned to getting everything that they honestly think any time they miss a basket they must have been fouled? I don't know. But it is a real bummer when a guy like Fox gets hit every time and maybe gets 25% of the calls you'd expect. And this has intensified a bit because of guys like Harden abusing it.

I'm less inclined to freak over excessive celebration but I get why people do, and when it happens in the face of my team of course I say "F that guy" but sure, he's heeling it up, I get it. There is kind of a line most people don't cross - I will say, like in soccer for example where there are designated sections for the most fervent supporters as well as a dedicated section just for away fans - it takes a real special kind of a-hole to go celebrate his goal in the opposing teams supporter area instead of his own. I'm not sure what that is in basketball, but I do think I've seen Ja walk that line. Trae definitely does.

Status
Not open for further replies.