[Game] Kings v. Trailblazers - Friday, 2/9 - 7:30 PT

Atrocious defense from Fox. Probably his worst defensive outing. He needs to get a lot stronger. Everytime he runs into a screen, it's like he runs into a brick wall and can't recover.

With that being said, it's all a learning experience for him. Without Hill and Mason, he'll need to step up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hello Kings Fans...I am new here...Watching every Kings game this season from Serbia...Just want to say, Fox is not player for team play.Worst player ever! I dont know why coach give him freedom in play...He is never in game, just cant feel the game.
First, welcome to Kingsfans.com

Next, a bit of a heads-up warning. Since you say you're from Serbia, I'm guessing you're here solely because of Bogdan. Well, just keep in mind this is KINGSFANS.COM, we're fans of the TEAM not just a particular player. In the past, player fans who are here only because of their countryman or favorite guy seem to overlook that fact.

Fox is NOT the worst player ever. In fact, he's got tons of potential AND he's barely 20 years old.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I would rather just not play any veterans at all. And buddy Hield needs more minutes, I get he’s streaky but that’s the point. He just needs to keep chucking up shots and it works. Also I like Koufos playing 100000000x more than Randolph.
Koufos is a great screener. The best the team has had since Brad Miller. He is a great asset for the guards on this team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I would rather just not play any veterans at all. And buddy Hield needs more minutes, I get he’s streaky but that’s the point. He just needs to keep chucking up shots and it works. Also I like Koufos playing 100000000x more than Randolph.
I don't mind seeing Koufos out there, especially without Skal available. I also don't mind seeing Vince Carter because ... well, Vince Carter. I don't care if I see Z-Bo at all. Temple? He's a good guy but I'd be using him much more sparingly. Once Mason and Skal are back, I would be in favor of much more time for the kids as long as they don't get so worn down they become prone to injury.

My thoughts...

Koufos played well. Buddy Freaking Buckets, I mean Buckets Freaking Buddy, played well. Bogdan needs to run the point 95+ percent of the time. The old dudes need to take a seat and allow the young kids to get out there and just go at it. Play for the future. Get some experience out there. I've said this time and time again, and I will keep on saying it time and time again, the future's looking bright in Sacramento. In a couple of years, this team will be talked about again. Not in a negative way, like we've been used to since the day Mr. Adelman was sent packing. But, we will be mentioned along with the group of teams who are on the rise. The ride has certainly hit its fair share of bumps along the way since Adelman left, and I am sure we're going to hit a few more rough patches in the distant future. But, at the end of the day, I know it will all be worth the bumps. Worth the wait.

Oh, and even a dude like David Stockton could have done to us what Damian Lillard did to us, especially if he had a hot hand similar to that of Mr. Lillard's...

Lillard just had the hot hand all night long. Heck, he probably could have launched full court shots and probably would have been able to hit close to 50% of them. He was incredible to watch. He has been one of my favorite non-Kings players to watch over the years.

Hello Kings Fans...I am new here...Watching every Kings game this season from Serbia...Just want to say, Fox is not player for team play.Worst player ever! I dont know why coach give him freedom in play...He is never in game, just cant feel the game.
Lol, is this some attempt to demean Fox to prop up Bogdan?

I guarantee that if came down to only being able to keep one, 30/30 GMs would pick Fox. Vlade clearly values them both but Fox is the #1 investment in the franchise currently.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
That was another GP pick that got vetoed by the Maloofs right? And then we had Vivek/PDA shooting down his recommendation of drafting Giannis. That would have been a nice core! Haha

Wonder if Petrie would be interested in offering Vlade some friendly advice this draft. For a price of course! ;)
Boogie
Giannis
Kawhi
Reke
Lillard

The Shoulda-Woulda-Coulda-But-the-Maloofs-Wanted-to-Move Lineup.

Boogie
Giannis
Kawhi
Reke
Lillard

The Shoulda-Woulda-Coulda-But-the-Maloofs-Wanted-to-Move Lineup.

Obscure movie reference. It might not make sense to some. I loved GP. Was one of the many reasons( but a strong one) as to how I landed on this island with all of you good people. He had vision and I truly believe if left unabated by The Maloofs and /or retained by Vivek, a whole lot of heartache could have been avoided for all of us Kings fans. Who knows where we would be now. Do you see.

Edit: apologies for my eccentricities

Earlier in the season the defense looked average or even marginally good at times, but that has fallen away. Kings are now collectively getting smashed pumpkins most nights on defense. Offense has consistently had enough dry-spells to lose games, and is and will be a problem next year. Defense seems to be the bigger problem now. On offense you look at the scoring distribution and you have 6 players scoring in the low double digits which is actually desirable statistically, but, #1 the defense must improve drastically. And #2 they need at least 2 leading scorers who average in the high teens or low 20s who can consistently manufacture points when the offense grinds down.

HOWEVER, at this point though, its all about losing, and attempting the top pick with Aayton or secondly Young imo. Its a sucky looking draft unfortunately though. Keep the losses coming (tanking) ought to be the mantra the rest of this season. The worst thing short term would be to jump 3 to 5 positions up. This year it could be that or 1 or 2 wins could potentially point to a much higher probability of 3 or 4 places down the draft.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He did! Wow! Maybe if we're lucky, Grant and Jerry will tell us all about it next time Kings and Warriors play. ;)
The ranking of things most likely to be heard during a Kings telecast:
1. Grant asking Jerry about life as a ref in French Lick.
2. Grant asking Jerry about him being from the same place as Larry Bird
3. Grant and Jerry talking about Klay dropping 37 on us in a quarter.
4. Jerry talking about the time he coached Bob McAdoo.
5. Grant "subtly" passive-aggressively throwing major shade at every single non-white good player in franchise history.

Every time he tried to go over the screen they moved 2-4 feet and then grabbed him (or whoever was guarding Lillard at that point) and theydidn't get called for a moving screen once that I can remember.
Yeah, reading the game thread my impression was that Fox was the only one getting burned but after watching the game Liliard was going off on GT just as much as he was on Fox. Bogs wasn't spared either.

Lol, is this some attempt to demean Fox to prop up Bogdan?

I guarantee that if came down to only being able to keep one, 30/30 GMs would pick Fox. Vlade clearly values them both but Fox is the #1 investment in the franchise currently.
I think his point is Fox needs to learn how to run a team. He should use his speed to break down defenses and create looks for open shooters. Something he does far to infrequently. With Buddy and Bogdan on the wings and good shooters Fox has to get better at it or he’s a 2 guard that can’t shoot.

It’s early and he’s young but the criticism is fair.

No no, i am Kings Fan for long time...Since Bibby and Webber...With all my heart i wish Sacramento play like in that period...Love Buddy, Mason also have great potential...Wcs is great and Coufus with that soft hand...Just cant see someone like Fox destroying team bcs he is selfish...He is not Westrbook and if he wanna progress he must learn to play team game.Sorry for my english

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It wasn't Fox's best game, that's for sure. Jackson continues to impress me. Bogs is stability. Didn't see much from anyone else. The Kings just got thrashed by Lillard. This is one where the bully demolished the new kid on the block. I thought Fox started the game passively, and then by the time he started to get very serious, it was too late. It probably wouldn't have mattered to the final outcome if he started the game seriously, but still, I'd rather for him to start strong. Now that Fox knows what it's like to be dominated on the court, he can now proceed to put in the work to learn how to dominate others on the court.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Earlier in the season the defense looked average or even marginally good at times, but that has fallen away. Kings are now collectively getting smashed pumpkins most nights on defense. Offense has consistently had enough dry-spells to lose games, and is and will be a problem next year. Defense seems to be the bigger problem now.
We also played more vets earlier in the season. It comes with the territory, I suppose, but we probably won't see significant improvement in the defense this year with the youth movement.

Earlier in the season the defense looked average or even marginally good at times, but that has fallen away. Kings are now collectively getting smashed pumpkins most nights on defense. Offense has consistently had enough dry-spells to lose games, and is and will be a problem next year. Defense seems to be the bigger problem now. On offense you look at the scoring distribution and you have 6 players scoring in the low double digits which is actually desirable statistically, but, #1 the defense must improve drastically. And #2 they need at least 2 leading scorers who average in the high teens or low 20s who can consistently manufacture points when the offense grinds down.

HOWEVER, at this point though, its all about losing, and attempting the top pick with Aayton or secondly Young imo. Its a sucky looking draft unfortunately though. Keep the losses coming (tanking) ought to be the mantra the rest of this season. The worst thing short term would be to jump 3 to 5 positions up. This year it could be that or 1 or 2 wins could potentially point to a much higher probability of 3 or 4 places down the draft.
I thought the defense looked good on the 6 game road trip. As far as Lillard going for 50 in 3 quarters he was just on fire. That said he should have been on the floor at least once IMO. If you don't knock a guy down at least once when he takes your lunch money you are seen as soft.

Lillard was going to put up 35+ points on any PG in the league. He was just that hot tonight. He was well defended at 28ft on a couple of those shots and they still splashed in.

I'm really hoping we see a big step forward from Fox next year. Right now, I'm not seeing a franchise talent or even a #2 talent. I think he's one of the worst players in the game but I'm rooting hard as hell for him. He has a ton of holes he needs to address. His handle, his shot, his finishing ability, his team defense, his moves off the dribble and his decision making. The kid has a lot of work to do and I'm not going to let a few full court drives over the course of the season make me think he's our next franchise player because that's just silly. Right now he does not play anything close to winning basketball but he's young, he's a rookie and he has time to improve. He's just going to need to improve on a whole bunch of things if he's going to turn out to be the guy we thought we drafted.

Justin Jackson is starting to look more promising. Looks like the work with Vince has been paying off. His 3 point shot is bad right now but he's actually shooting very well from 2 and what's even more amazing to me is he has completely turned around his rebounding ability. In the last month or so since he's been getting minutes, he's nearly doubled his rebounding ability when compared to the first month when he was getting minutes. Seems like nearly every game he's getting an offensive rebound and a put back off of it. He was getting 0-2 rebounds a game early on and now he's getting 3-5 a game. He may actually have a shot to become a rotational player now. He's getting close to removing himself from the all time soft list.

I'll be a happy man if I don't ever have to see a Temple step back shot ever again. Even if he's terrible, I hope we give Bruno some of Temple's minutes and hopefully Mason takes some of them as well when he gets back.

I thought the defense looked good on the 6 game road trip. As far as Lillard going for 50 in 3 quarters he was just on fire. That said he should have been on the floor at least once IMO. If you don't knock a guy down at least once when he takes your lunch money you are seen as soft.
I think I remember Carter knocking him on the floor on a fast break. Or maybe that was a different player..