[Game] Kings v. Thunder - Thursday, Feb. 22 - 7 PT

It doesn’t seem like you can help yourself correcting others who aren’t “positive”.

Why are the vets like Vince/Temple playing more than Buddy/Bogdan, as was pointed out?

It’s wholly questionable if Joerger is fit for a rebuild. We lost tonight, but the schedule is going to ease up, particularly in March, and Joerger just can’t be favoring winning meaningless games over development for the sanity for a lot of the fanbase, and I’m assuming the wishes of the FO/ownership after reading the Vivek article. His last year was picked up IMO to help ensure he played ball

It’s not to say we should be purposely losing
Embarrassing really that this has to be stated o people not understand the difference between a guy like Porter and Bridges

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We decided to keep Bruno and cut Papa instead. So, obviously the thought is to check him out. I understand doing it in practice, etc., but we aren't really playing for anything this season (except draft position), and we need to check what we have in Bruno. We have to make a decision on him this summer.

For me at least, if we are not checking out Bruno (at least a little in real game situations), cutting Papa to create a roster slot makes even less sense.
We are playing for much more than draft position. We're playing to PROPERLY develop our kids, figure out who can play best with whom, where we need more attention, etc. I personally believe that Bruno Caboclo is incidental to what's happening right now. We cut Papa because he sucked, pure and simple.

You think the Kings need to assess Bruno in real game situations. I think they're more properly looking at and encouraging Justin Jackson at that position.

Not seeing Bruno tonight didn't phase me in the least.. Not seeing him at all won't phase me in the least. The chances of him even being around goig forward are probably minimal.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Embarrassing really that this has to be stated o people not understand the difference between a guy like Porter and Bridges
Keep singing that mantra. I'll keep enjoying the now and letting the future take care of itself. At the end of the season, I will have enjoyed watching my Kings play another season of the game I've loved for over 50 years while you'll be way too wrapped up in the draft. To each his/her own. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes, he's probably the best scorer on the team right now. But you're missing the point.
No, you're missing the point. Not everyone agrees in the whole we have to lose to win idea. Not everyone wants to see good players sitting because the Kings need to lose. Both sides have a right to their opinions. Unfortunately, like almost everything else in today's world, there just appears to be little room for middle ground or tolerance of the other side.

OMG. I swear some of you just can't help yourselves. The tank group amazes me. WE LOST. You should be ecstatic. The kids played an appropriate amount of minutes IMHO. Bruno isn't going to play, according to reports, because he's not a premiere talent that can step right in and be productive. Yes, Z-Bo played a lot of minutes, partially because this is the Kings without Papa and with Koufos out sick. Both Conley and JaKarr are with Reno right now.
Why can't you just let people talk about what happens to be a big topic on all the shows on KHTK without the snide remarks because you don't happen to like the subject. We're not bashing other posters. Jeez. cmon now.....is your next move to ban people because you don't like their subject matter?. Is this your own personal forum VF?

Last edited:
ZBO- 28
VC- 29
Temple-41

Youngin's:
WCS-23 minutes????
Skal-26 (get it, first game back)
Mason- 7 (get it, first game back)
JJ- 41 minutes
Buddy- 22 minutes???
Bogdan- 28 minutes????
Bruno - 0 minutes????

Look, I get the rotation was a bit messed up with Fox out and Mason and Skal working back from injury. But literally no excuse Buddy and Bogdan, WCS don't get 33+ minutes tonight. I have no problems winning games on the backs of the young guys. I DO have a problem if we managed to pull this one out on the back of a 23-shot night from ZBO. This was a great opportunity to let Buddy and Bogdan work on their playmaking and being lead options with Fox out. Instead we just dumped it to ZBO all night. That does nothing for development.
Sometimes I wonder if we are watching the same game <LOL>

Willie was being crushed by Adams.
Skal returning from injury looked good. But is no match for Adams.
Mason severe minutes restriction. When Adams floored him I held my breath. he was on a minutes restriction and played 13 minutes.
JJ played a good game without many stats, played 26 minutes.
Buddy played 29 minutes.
Bogdan played 18 minutes on a night where he did not have the magic.
Bruno has been here for 3 practices or so. Lets see how it goes.

ZBO was out there absorbing and dishing out punishment to Adams. Who else is going to do it? Do you want Skal and Willie sidelined again?

Thank God for ZBO, there were no other Bigs available!

Minutes distribution aside....I thought it was one of the better games of the season.

Buddy had one of the best games of his career. His rebounding and passing were on point. He was feeding the ball down low as good as I've ever seen him off of pick and rolls. He also had some nice drives to the basket. How about that drive and dunk? I didn't know Buddy had it in him! He drove more than I've ever seen in this game. I hope he continues it because it's a part of his game that can take him from 6th man to starter. He failed on his final drive there but I still thought he had a decent look and I'd like him to continue to practice that for the rest of the season.

For one of the first times this season, I thought Skal played "winning basketball". His box score numbers don't jump out at you but he was extremely effective on the court. Probably played one of his best defensive games as well. The bleeding stopped when Skal entered the game and started covering Melo on the outside. Very promising for a guy who hasn't played in a few weeks. Never give up on young prospects like this and they certainly shouldn't be entertained in salary dump trade talks.

WCS, what the hell was that? Completely ineffective in the first half. For a guy who moves his feet so well, why is he consistently one of our worst 3pt defenders? Don't even act like he was out there covering for everyone else because he was beyond awful in that first quarter. How many threes have to be drained in your face before you think oh wow, maybe I should get a hand in this guys face? Came out in the 3rd and looked much better and then was back to looking like he had never made a post move in his life in the 4th. Adams made him look silly on most possessions.

That was some "C" level defense if I've ever seen it. How about at least Jumping to contest? 1s left....gotta know your opponent cannot drive - situational awareness - thats on the coaches actually just as much....anyway - necessary loss <check>....
You do know that if Garrett jumps on that play it would be instant free throws for Westbrook, right?

Minutes distribution aside....I thought it was one of the better games of the season.

Buddy had one of the best games of his career. His rebounding and passing were on point. He was feeding the ball down low as good as I've ever seen him off of pick and rolls. He also had some nice drives to the basket. How about that drive and dunk? I didn't know Buddy had it in him! He drove more than I've ever seen in this game. I hope he continues it because it's a part of his game that can take him from 6th man to starter. He failed on his final drive there but I still thought he had a decent look and I'd like him to continue to practice that for the rest of the season.

For one of the first times this season, I thought Skal played "winning basketball". His box score numbers don't jump out at you but he was extremely effective on the court. Probably played one of his best defensive games as well. The bleeding stopped when Skal entered the game and started covering Melo on the outside. Very promising for a guy who hasn't played in a few weeks. Never give up on young prospects like this and they certainly shouldn't be entertained in salary dump trade talks.

WCS, what the hell was that? Completely ineffective in the first half. For a guy who moves his feet so well, why is he consistently one of our worst 3pt defenders? Don't even act like he was out there covering for everyone else because he was beyond awful in that first quarter. How many threes have to be drained in your face before you think oh wow, maybe I should get a hand in this guys face? Came out in the 3rd and looked much better and then was back to looking like he had never made a post move in his life in the 4th. Adams made him look silly on most possessions.
I like your analysis of Buddy and Skal and agree with you.

Painting Willie the way you do is unfair considering he was matched up with Adams. Yet you want him guarding the 3 point line also?:cool:

No, you're missing the point. Not everyone agrees in the whole we have to lose to win idea. Not everyone wants to see good players sitting because the Kings need to lose. Both sides have a right to their opinions. Unfortunately, like almost everything else in today's world, there just appears to be little room for middle ground or tolerance of the other side.
Read my first post. I don’t agree we have to lose to win either, but if we go on a late season run with Zach Randolph playing 30 minutes a game that’s not helping the development of our young players or our draft position.

And I’ve always tried to be civil on this board so I don’t know what you mean by no tolerance for the other side. I’ve never posted anything like that. In fact, it seems like you are more closed to the other side than most tank advocates.

The bottom line for me is the draft system needs to change, because this shouldn’t be a debate fans should have to have. Fans should always be able to root for their team to win.

Well how much tolerance you have for opinions that are different than yours? People who advocate for real tanking have facts and math to support their opinion. People who advocate for playing vets a lot have a short sighted idea that its funnier watching wins now so lets not worry about future. Everyone has a right to an opinion but since this is a message board, you need to be prepared for counter arguments if you say stuff like just "letting the future take care of itself", especially when your point of view dismisses math and facts.

I like your analysis of Buddy and Skal and agree with you.

Painting Willie the way you do is unfair considering he was matched up with Adams. Yet you want him guarding the 3 point line also?:cool:
WCS was on Melo and ZBo was on Adams for most of those uncontested threes. Otherwise I'd be harping on ZBo.

Actually no, I'd be harping on Joerger because ZBo can't guard guys like Melo anyway ;)

Well how much tolerance you have for opinions that are different than yours? People who advocate for real tanking have facts and math to support their opinion. People who advocate for playing vets a lot have a short sighted idea that its funnier watching wins now so lets not worry about future. Everyone has a right to an opinion but since this is a message board, you need to be prepared for counter arguments if you say stuff like just "letting the future take care of itself", especially when your point of view dismisses math and facts.
Maybe I'm wrong but when I hear "just let the future take care of itself" I think of eh, I'll just eat whatever the hell i want, let the future take care of itself. You know what's probably gonna happen but well, that bacon, egg, and lard sandwich is just too damn good to care right now.

WCS was on Melo and ZBo was on Adams for most of those uncontested threes. Otherwise I'd be harping on ZBo.

Actually no, I'd be harping on Joerger because ZBo can't guard guys like Melo anyway ;)
Ah I see:) Did you notice who was guarding Willie much of the time? You stated: "Adams made him look silly on most possessions."

Why can't you just let people talk about what happens to be a big topic on all the shows on KHTK without the snide remarks because you don't happen to like the subject. We're not bashing other posters. Jeez. cmon now.....is your next move to ban people because you don't like their subject matter?. Is this your own personal forum VF?
OK, just pay a $600,000 fine like Cuban! :)

Kingster

Hall of Famer

This might be my biggest fear as a Kings' fan. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it seems to me from my watching the Kings' broadcasters over many years, especially Napier, that they take their cue from management. The Kings announcers sure did spend a lot of time talking about how Skal had to do this and had to do that in the latter part of the season, like his tenure with the Kings depended on it, like he could be the new Malachi. What? What happened to the idea of having patience with the big man? (I know, what happened to Papa, but if you want an exception to the rule he was probably it). Also, the guy is only 21 years old. Just for comparison, WCS is 24 years old. It's just my opinion, but I really believe Skal is going to be a lot better in three years when Skal is 24 than WCS is currently. They had to know that the guy was a long term project when they drafted him. I wish they'd just calm down a little bit with Skal. It's not like the guy is some slacker. Everything I've ever heard is that he's a worker and he's a great team mate.

So the bad news first. The Kings have the all-star break to get ready and come and give up 44 points in one quarter to a good OKC team. Inside, outside all around the town. Very disappointing. This happens a lot. There is a flaw in the mental outlook of the Kings to start many games. Coach needs to figure this out. Bogey the Magnificent disappeared maybe after reading his press clippings.

Buddy came out firing on 8 cylinders. I thought Mason did fine and Skal had one of his better games making some really good plays. Nice return performances. The Kings missed Fox and KK. How is Jackson supposed to have a chance to stop George? Adams deserves some credit. I like his work ethic and his ability to rebound and run the floor and play defense. He wore out the Kings last night.

Ah I see:) Did you notice who was guarding Willie much of the time? You stated: "Adams made him look silly on most possessions."
Yeah Adams was on him when Willie had those "Oh crap, I don't know what I'm doing" moments in the post where he made a move and Adams was there and he just had no where to go other than get blocked or throw up a clanger. It reminded me of myself back when I'd play pickup games and I'd run out of talent when my first move didn't work!

This might be my biggest fear as a Kings' fan. Maybe I'm totally wrong, but it seems to me from my watching the Kings' broadcasters over many years, especially Napier, that they take their cue from management. The Kings announcers sure did spend a lot of time talking about how Skal had to do this and had to do that in the latter part of the season, like his tenure with the Kings depended on it, like he could be the new Malachi. What? What happened to the idea of having patience with the big man? (I know, what happened to Papa, but if you want an exception to the rule he was probably it). Also, the guy is only 21 years old. Just for comparison, WCS is 24 years old. It's just my opinion, but I really believe Skal is going to be a lot better in three years when Skal is 24 than WCS is currently. They had to know that the guy was a long term project when they drafted him. I wish they'd just calm down a little bit with Skal. It's not like the guy is some slacker. Everything I've ever heard is that he's a worker and he's a great team mate.
Exactly. What are the gripes about Skal? He needs to put on weight and he needs to learn where to be on defense. Both are easily correctable and both are things that are out of his control since he obviously puts in plenty of time in the weight room and he hasn't been playing nearly as long as a lot of these guys his age have. I mean look at the guys numbers in his two games in the G League this year? It's a small sample size but he was so dominate compared to last year, there's no way the Kings can just ignore that. I just hope they give him time and don't get rid of him because he's taking too long to come around. They aren't going to win anyway so invest in the guys that have a chance to help you win down the road.

Since Dish Network (out here in Vegas) had to suffer a painful stretch last night, when the winds picked up, and kept on going in and out for the longest time (thank god it didn't happen 24 hours earlier, when the gold medal hockey match was on, phew!!!!). Do my fellow KingsFans.com members want to take a (fair) shot at providing the following for me?

The Good
The Bad
The Ugly

And

The Ugly

Gracias in advance!

Yeah Adams was on him when Willie had those "Oh crap, I don't know what I'm doing" moments in the post where he made a move and Adams was there and he just had no where to go other than get blocked or throw up a clanger. It reminded me of myself back when I'd play pickup games and I'd run out of talent when my first move didn't work!

Exactly. What are the gripes about Skal? He needs to put on weight and he needs to learn where to be on defense. Both are easily correctable and both are things that are out of his control since he obviously puts in plenty of time in the weight room and he hasn't been playing nearly as long as a lot of these guys his age have. I mean look at the guys numbers in his two games in the G League this year? It's a small sample size but he was so dominate compared to last year, there's no way the Kings can just ignore that. I just hope they give him time and don't get rid of him because he's taking too long to come around. They aren't going to win anyway so invest in the guys that have a chance to help you win down the road.
Skal, is still, IMO one of the top assets this team has in terms of current roster pieces, which I why I’m assuming those trade rumors were unsubstantial. He’s had a rough start to the year, but he still has potential on both sides, works hard and is a good kid

Last edited:

I think the biggest gripe with Skal has been his decision making. Sure he was on the skinny side and got pushed around, but he could still score. The issue I noticed was that was all he could do. He didn't move the ball or set good screens or rebound or defend or anything else very well. I think he has gotten tougher and stronger and I think his decision making and feel for the game is slowly improving and he's becoming a factor in more ways.

Last edited:
Yes, he's probably the best scorer on the team right now. But you're missing the point.
I understand your point, I disagree with you, and I think putting your best foot forward is the best thing for the team, for the young guys and for the fans. I, too, would like to see Bruno and JaKarr play and Skal and Hield play more but what we are doing is best for the team.

We are playing for much more than draft position. We're playing to PROPERLY develop our kids, figure out who can play best with whom, where we need more attention, etc. I personally believe that Bruno Caboclo is incidental to what's happening right now. We cut Papa because he sucked, pure and simple.

You think the Kings need to assess Bruno in real game situations. I think they're more properly looking at and encouraging Justin Jackson at that position.

Not seeing Bruno tonight didn't phase me in the least.. Not seeing him at all won't phase me in the least. The chances of him even being around goig forward are probably minimal.
Fair enough. It's a sentiment I largely agree with. While I think that at this stage, a higher draft pick is worth a little more, I can get behind the idea that if the current crop progresses more, and we move towards establishing a winning culture, it is worth a drop in the draft position.

That said, I think my point about Papa is still valid. I don't mind cutting him so much, but I do mind the fact that we cut him instead of Bruno. Perhaps both were not much in our plans. If so, Bruno's expiring contract is a waste for us. Papa could have potentially been used as a filler in a trade in the summer, or failing that, cut at that stage if we needed a spot.

Maybe I'm just fretting over a very minor issue, but honestly, if we kept Bruno, we might as well see what the kid can do.

No, I’m with her. The difference is such a basic one - there are those that thnk basketball is the thing and there are those that agree but put being a general manager above that. Being a “futures investor” is secondary to enjoying a competitive basketball game. I know there are many who disagree with me. Peace, but I’m not going to quit jumping their frame.i

Last edited:
Read my first post. I don’t agree we have to lose to win either, but if we go on a late season run with Zach Randolph playing 30 minutes a game that’s not helping the development of our young players or our draft position.

And I’ve always tried to be civil on this board so I don’t know what you mean by no tolerance for the other side. I’ve never posted anything like that. In fact, it seems like you are more closed to the other side than most tank advocates.

The bottom line for me is the draft system needs to change, because this shouldn’t be a debate fans should have to have. Fans should always be able to root for their team to win.
And I do.