[Game] Kings v. Spurs - Saturday, Dec. 23 - 7 PT

Um, read the post he's quoting. It was kingdivac who said, "This Spurs team imo is not really impressive these days anyway". Your point is well made and is in agreement with what parker and I were saying about the Spurs.

Yes, That's who I was responding to. Thanks brother! Lots of love, health, and prosperity to you this Christmas!

In games like this I'd like the Kings to attempt more 3s. They shot over 50% from 3. The spurs tightened up their perimeter defense but still they (Bogs, Mason and Hill) passed up a number of 3s for mid range jumpers (that didn't go in).

I was pleased with the game, maybe not the final score, but I didn’t really expect a win against the Spurs (even if they were a little depleted). Nice games from Buddy, Bogs, and WCS against quality competition. Kings were competitive, played hard the whole game, didn’t quit. Were very competitive 3 of the 4 quarters but the 2nd was the killer. Bench was a little weak, especially in the 2nd, but not having Buddy or Bogs on the Bench contributed to that. Mason is still trying to do too much, needs to settle down just a little bit, but he will be fine. Just part of the learning process.

That comment is not so much for this game, which your right I didn't see, but more in general from memory of getting pasted and laying down against the Warriors last year once Leonard went down in the playoff. This is more or less the same team, and its one regular season game. This Spurs team probably will make the playoffs without Leonard, but they aren't going anywhere without 'em.....Ginobli will all but certainly retire..... Gasol likely, and maybe Parker depending on health. That's a big chunk of their experience.

Leonard is that Great. If He never goes out in the Dubs series last year, It's plausible the Spurs could have won that series.
Not just a great player, but a transcendent game changer.

Gasol, Ginobli, and Parker could all retire this year. But, Spurs will attract the best free agents available(Like Always) and they will continue to plug, play, and be superior to 90 Percent of the teams in the league.

That comment is not so much for this game, which your right I didn't see, but more in general from memory of getting pasted and laying down against the Warriors last year once Leonard went down in the playoff. This is more or less the same team, and its one regular season game. This Spurs team probably will make the playoffs without Leonard, but they aren't going anywhere without 'em.....Ginobli will all but certainly retire..... Gasol likely, and maybe Parker depending on health. That's a big chunk of their experience.
Agree that in the playoffs the spurs aren't going to get too far, but what they are doing and have done is very impressive.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Enjoyed what I saw tonight especially from Buddy, Bogdan, and WCS. Mason was a big disappointment for me though. I don't know why he keeps insisting on attacking the rim. At this point, he has a higher 3pt% than FG%. He needs to learn to pass it out when he's under the rim.

Aside from Mason's meh game today, I think everyone did a solid job.
Joerger mentioned that.

I think I was most impressed with what little I saw of Buddy tonight - and his post-game comments. He's learning every single day. He doesn't mind coming off the bench and he has the true "team" attitude that was so important during the GOOD TIMES.

Leonard is that Great. If He never goes out in the Dubs series last year, It's plausible the Spurs could have won that series.
Not just a great player, but a transcendent game changer.

Gasol, Ginobli, and Parker could all retire this year. But, Spurs will attract the best free agents available(Like Always) and they will continue to plug, play, and be superior to 90 Percent of the teams in the league.
What series were you watching?...Leonard had to play at an All-League level just to compete with the Warriors - and they still lost with Leonard in the lineup. He was single-handedly keeping them in games. They weren't going to beat the Warriors even with Leonard, maybe make the series more interesting, yes. They were wiped when he went down...hell, the Kings could've given the Warriors better games once Leonard went down. The games looked ridiculously uncompetitive. If Leonard's health does not improve, the Spurs are in trouble, and they are not going to replace that combined experience in free agency in 1 or even 2 seasons with today's salaries, so will likely be on the downtrend. That's time and injuries catching up with a team. Happens to all great franchises.

Enjoyed what I saw tonight especially from Buddy, Bogdan, and WCS. Mason was a big disappointment for me though. I don't know why he keeps insisting on attacking the rim. At this point, he has a higher 3pt% than FG%. He needs to learn to pass it out when he's under the rim.

Aside from Mason's meh game today, I think everyone did a solid job.
He was forcing the drives against the Raptors too, getting blocked or trapped near the rim. Mason may be getting impatient somewhat in games these days. He'll probably be getting a talkin' to....

What series were you watching?...Leonard had to play at an All-League level just to compete with the Warriors - and they still lost with Leonard in the lineup. He was single-handedly keeping them in games. They weren't going to beat the Warriors even with Leonard, maybe make the series more interesting, yes. They were wiped when he went down...hell, the Kings could've given the Warriors better games once Leonard went down. The games looked ridiculously uncompetitive. If Leonard's health does not improve, the Spurs are in trouble, and they are not going to replace that combined experience in free agency in 1 or even 2 seasons with today's salaries, so will likely be on the downtrend. That's time and injuries catching up with a team. Happens to all great franchises.

It does. Really? Do you watch the Patriots? Who's beating them in the AFC? I actually, did watch the series. Leonard went out in Game 1. Which the SPurs were winning until that Dumbass, ZAZA steps on him. Can't stand the loser. Did the same thing to Durant. Spurs aren't going anywhere. They Will attract all the best free agents. They have the best front office, GM, and coach in the league. Hands down. Spurs have been to the playoffs 20 straight years, going on 21. That's incredible.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He was forcing the drives against the Raptors too, getting blocked or trapped near the rim. Mason may be getting impatient somewhat in games these days. He'll probably be getting a talkin' to....
Again, this was addressed by Joerger in the post-game. He said they're going to be working with Mason on things like that, especially since he tends to get in too close at times and traps himself.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Over the years, yes, but not lately. I've written them off for this year unless Leonard miraculously recovers. Who knows....
I'm confused. The injury report says Leonard is out until Dec. 26. I confess I don't follow injury reports on players on other teams. What is his injury and why are you and others talking about "miraculous recoveries"?

EDIT: Okay, never mind. I googled it and found a bunch of articles that say a lot of nothing. Sounds like the Spurs are keeping his condition very close to the vest. I did see one article that says Pop said he's never seen a quad injury like it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/gregg-popovich-issue-kawhi-leonards-quad-injury/story?id=51336183

It does. Really? Do you watch the Patriots? Who's beating them in the AFC? I actually, did watch the series. Leonard went out in Game 1. Which the SPurs were winning until that Dumbass, ZAZA steps on him. Can't stand the loser. Did the same thing to Durant. Spurs aren't going anywhere. They Will attract all the best free agents. They have the best front office, GM, and coach in the league. Hands down. Spurs have been to the playoffs 20 straight years, going on 21. That's incredible.
Yes all great franchises.....including the Patriots, but I'm not here to argue football. If you think the Spurs with Leonard were going to beat the Warriors, I question your judgement. Last year was the Warriors year, cut and dry.

A professional athlete has a short career. There are only a tiny percentage of them who play more than 10 years in professional sports. I don't particularly like or dislike the Spurs. They've had remarkable runs and title wins, but their time has come to regress and restart imo - maybe not this season but within a year or 2, I'm thinking and especially if Leonard cannot rehabilitate himself from nagging injuries to consistent health. I could be wrong but thats my opinion.

I'm confused. The injury report says Leonard is out until Dec. 26. I confess I don't follow injury reports on players on other teams. What is his injury and why are you and others talking about "miraculous recoveries"?

EDIT: Okay, never mind. I googled it and found a bunch of articles that say a lot of nothing. Sounds like the Spurs are keeping his condition very close to the vest. I did see one article that says Pop said he's never seen a quad injury like it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/gregg-popovich-issue-kawhi-leonards-quad-injury/story?id=51336183
''

My understanding is Leonard has tried to come back this year, but continually has to sit. Hopefully for his career this is a medium term injury and not something like McGrady's back or something. Maybe something more like Curry's earlier injury situation (with ankles) where he got back to health.

My apologies, guys and gals, for being out of sync on the last few game threads. I will still be out of sync for the next few, as my sister and her family are in town for the holidays. I do have the games recorded, and they are saved on the DVR. I will get around to watching/catching up on games this week, so I will provide my 2 cents, and then some, as I get around to watching them.

Bogie probably was the Kings best player tonight, WCS tried hard had some wild/quality moments and the length of LMA/Pau after the first quarter shutdown Z-Bo like no one else this season. It's remarkable how athletic Manu Ginobili still is and how amazingly his game has aged despite being a guy who has recklessly thrown his body around for like 20 seasons.

Really needed something from Hill if we were to have any chance he's just involving himself in 75% of the games we have played this year.

This was a barometer game. We can use it to judge the progress of the Kings against a solid well coached team that makes few mistakes. The longer the game the more they would win by.
Big progress, but a long way to go. The Kings play as a team. They don't complain much. They work hard. There is a lot to like.

Bogi needed 3 shoots to hit 3 threes, Warriors needed 27 :D
I like Bogdan and Hield on the floor together at least for their offense. Hield although an average defender puts in some effort on rebounds. Bogdan is better than average on defense, especially with team defense. I think Joerger should run or develop various screen plays for both of them, and centering the offense around their shooting. That goes for either of them. Their shooting should be the "tip of the spear", and a way to build confidence.

LOL.

Coach: "I'm not trying to over-explain. I'm just trying to give you the Full Monty." LOL

(I'm thinking he may remember the movie but doesn't remember what the Full Monty actually was.)

He took one more question and then said, "Shall we leave it at that? Merry Christmas you guys!"

I like that. And I like him. And I like feeling good about the future of the Kings.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!
He probably was just using the slang meaning of “everything you need” which makes sense in the context of not over or under explaining. Still weird to hear it in the United States since it’s not a term used here and most people automatically think of the movie.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Again, this was addressed by Joerger in the post-game. He said they're going to be working with Mason on things like that, especially since he tends to get in too close at times and traps himself.
He needs to utilize a floater more when he gets close to the rim. I've seen him pull it off on numerous times, don't know why he hasn't been doing it as of late.

They were the Spurs. The fact that we hung around for most of the game, and managed to give them a very respectable effort, puts a smile on my face. Remember, we are young. Games like this one will only help us in the future. With a little more experience, we will be able to close these games out.

Heading to game tonight folks.

Will report back on the eye test, and any other observations.
Sorry. Forgot to report back.

We lost.

WCS looks good!!

He's got an intuitive feel for the game that you can't readily see on tv. He is developing a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

The Kings biggest problem is simply learning how to play. They really don't lack talent. The Spurs won because they play the game at a higher level. There was no talent disparity between the two teams, with the notable exception of Aldridge, but he didn't "win" the game for the Spurs. And you can see them starting to put it together for stretches... but... as better teams do, they can't do it for a full 48, and the Spurs can.