[Game] Kings v. Sixers- Thursday, March 5 - 7PT/10ET

What should we do about the Luke Walton Vacuum Cleaner Award now that he's our coach?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only thing I can think of is to give his guys a breather but yeah, kinda killed the momentum
This is why running more set rotations and being ahead on what you need to do matchup wise is important. The minutes lately have been strange. Bjelica played 21 minutes in the 1st half. 10 in the 2nd. I can't really say why he is being burnt into the ground early in some games. One thing Walton does usually do though is use his timeouts pretty effectively. To me, the deficit was the problem because is was purely bad matchups and poor adjustment that did them in. This game never should have been in the position it was for 1 timeout to matter that much.

For those saying this wasn't a critical game... Yes it is.

You get really lucky missing a 50+ win Philly team without 2 of its all-stars and another key starter. That's a lucky break and one you have to take advantage of when you get the chance.

This game and OKC game hurt. Had a chance to win 2 games that were previously "scheduled losses" and blew the opportunity. Not a good look if we're actually taking this playoff push seriously.

Flat out truth, if Walton uses Barnes and Bazmore together more and goes to more switching when Holmes comes back as needed I think this team could be top 5 defensively. The issue here is the starting unit he's going with posts up a defensive rating of over 120 since the break and their team 2nd best offensive rating is falling. On the season they are closer to 130 which is holy cow bad.

Last edited:
An atrocious defensive effort along with a lack of focus and intensity on offense by the Kings tonight spells defeat.
That's for sure but the thing that scares me is it wasn't really effort. It was ability. When the Kings went with Fox, Bogdan, Buddy, Baze, and Barnes they were lock down level for the most part because they were able to switch the screens that were obliterating them all game. The problem for the Kings is almost any team you have to get by that means anything in the west is going to run the same stuff at you. You can't get by on playing teams missing one or more of their core every game.

Al Horford's +41 is crazy.
It's like he freezes at least 2 Kings player on their every offensive position.

And I think the guards and Harry were quite winded on this. All were flat footed. Should let Yogi and Justin James get some run with Bazemore.

Familiar story, Buddy shoots us back in a game and then all the big shots are taken by everybody but Buddy
This. I mean it's one thing when he's not shooting well but clearly he was our best chance at pulling a miracle off. I also put a lot of blame on Walton on this one. This is not the first time the starting unit has screwed us over to begin the 1st/3rd, and yet he sticks with them way longer than he should.

Fox really needs to become a better 3 point shooter.

Burks suddenly capable of playing basketball in G1C. Would have been nice if he could have done this last season
To be fair to Burks, I never thought the Kings gave him a legitimate look after he was acquired. He never really got past the feeling things out stage before Joerger had picked Brewer over him on the strength of 1 or 2 solid games on his first 10 day. I think it was a situation where the front office had a vision for Burks that Joerger didn’t share. Burks would only touch the ball if he stole it or rebounded it. I would comment on it during his stints. His game is a bit redundant with Bogdans as well but we never saw that Burks in the slightest last season. Kings could’ve really used Burks down the stretch when they were trotting out that Barnes at the 4 lineup and our bench started getting thin when Bagley was missing games...but he was already an afterthought at that point.

All good. Forget about this one and keep going

We weren’t going to go 21 and 0
Plus they came in having lost to the Cavs, Knicks back to back, then lost to both the LA teams, they wanted this way more than we do, and it showed.

Not a big deal, they aren't directly in our path to the Playoffs anyway.

I didn't want to bring it up during the win streak but the play of Bjelcia lately has last years drop off written all over it, it's been masked by the fact Len was playing god level defense and Giles has been very solid. We really need him to start hitting a decent clip again from 3.

To much Shake Milton/Burks tonight you can't give up 20 each to both those guys while both Harris/Horford are putting in work as well. I thought Baze was the MVP tonight for the Kings.

Went to the game last night. Was too disgusted to post til now!

I can’t recall the last time a team as crappy as this Philly team played and shot the ball as well as they did. It seemed any player that ended up with the ball in his hands hit the freaking shot.

And please nobody try to tell me how great Tobias Harris, old Al Horford, G-leaguers Shake Milton and Shark Neto are. That team had lost 9 consecutive road games coming in and were 9-23 overall. They’re not good and this was a terrible loss.

Too many turnovers by Buddy (stop overdribbling one on one), Len and Baze. Missed way too many open shots. Settled for too many perimeter looks, per usual.

That all said, after going down 18 midway through Q4 — they actually had a chance. They closed to within 6 w/ around 4 min to go and had momentum. Didn’t need to keep forcing threes. Swipa resisted the urge and smartly passed off to work for a good shot. However Baze was overcome by the energy in the arena and chucked up an errant three.

IMO, that possession killed a potential comeback from oblivion. If they had played that possession and the final 4 minutes smarter, they might have pulled it off.

Time to put this one behind, though, and go get two wins on SAT and SUN. <crosses fingers>

Last edited:
Well .. I hope nothing public, but if I were him I'd be pretty pissed with the lack of playing time this game up till mid-3rd.
Especially with the fact that Bogie and Bjeclica didn't give us much offensively with the minutes they got. Hield came in and played really well and had a hot hand shooting the ball. He should've been in the game longer than he was. One of the things that drove me nuts about Joerger was that he stuck to his rotations regardless of how good or bad someone was playing. "I had you pegged for 7 minutes this quarter, looks like it's been 7 minutes, time to come out. Doesn't matter that you're 5-5 this quarter, come on out." With the exception of Giles, Walton does the same thing.

The Sixers were good last night! Defense was on point with tall lanky defenders defending the three point line. Big Al did not look his age. Tobias Harris looked 10 feet tall. The Refs whistles seemed to stop any Kings momentum.

Can't dwell on this loss Fellas. The Kings can continue to win! This was a one game setback only.

Go Kings!!!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings weren't mentally prepared for this game. Buddy Hield was out in the pre-game doing his hula dance, laughing, having a good ol' time, just minutes before tip off. That really symbolized the performance. Like I said in the first few minutes of the game on this board - the Kings thought they were hot stuff at the beginning of this game, didn't respect Philly, and were far too casual in their approach. They were out to have fun out there, not prepared for business. Philly, on the other hand, was prepared for business and that's why they kicked the Kings' A$$.

As far as the Buddy thing, it's the same theme as all season long. Walton didn't play Buddy much in the first half because he's seen faaaar too many stupid turnovers from Hield this season, and his toleration level is down near zero when it comes to the stupid A$$ stuff Hield does in just about every game. Hield comes out against Beal in the Washington game and he means business. He's out to show the world that he belongs in the same elite category as Beal and even plays good D against him. He comes out against Philly with their two All Stars out., and it's let's let the good times roll, woooopee, let's do some stupid "stuff", I don't belong as sub anyway, so let me go have some fun, fun, fun.

The Kings weren't mentally prepared for this game. Buddy Hield was out in the pre-game doing his hula dance, laughing, having a good ol' time, just minutes before tip off. That really symbolized the performance. Like I said in the first few minutes of the game on this board - the Kings thought they were hot stuff at the beginning of this game, didn't respect Philly, and were far too casual in their approach. They were out to have fun out there, not prepared for business. Philly, on the other hand, was prepared for business and that's why they kicked the Kings' A$$.

As far as the Buddy thing, it's the same theme as all season long. Walton didn't play Buddy much in the first half because he's seen faaaar too many stupid turnovers from Hield this season, and his toleration level is down near zero when it comes to the stupid A$$ stuff Hield does in just about every game. Hield comes out against Beal in the Washington game and he means business. He's out to show the world that he belongs in the same elite category as Beal and even plays good D against him. He comes out against Philly with their two All Stars out., and it's let's let the good times roll, woooopee, let's do some stupid "stuff", I don't belong as sub anyway, so let me go have some fun, fun, fun.
So what about the starters who have given up massive differentials to the other team? Why is that tolerated?

The Kings took a game off. They did not bring the intensity. They got out rebounded by 10 or so. They lost the turnover battle. They did share the ball as well as previous games. Game over.

Another shake up to motivate the team? but they really should have that high motivation anyway if they want to make the playoffs.
Walton has to wonder why his team has come out flat in a few games lately and usually it’s been a one quarter let down with 2 of 3 costing us the game.
I hope our team figures it out and I believe they will.

we cannot win every game. I would say that 99% of the time we lose the forum blames it on lack of effort, concentration, not taking the opponent seriously or something similar. That would imply that the forum believes we have a team that can win almost all its games as long as they play hard and come out focused. But the forum believes no such thing. the above holds for in game coaching decisions as well.

we cannot win every game. I would say that 99% of the time we lose the forum blames it on lack of effort, concentration, not taking the opponent seriously or something similar. That would imply that the forum believes we have a team that can win almost all its games as long as they play hard and come out focused. But the forum believes no such thing. the above holds for in game coaching decisions as well.
The other 1% they blame buddy Hield. :p

I would agree we likely won’t beat Toronto which is why that game was important and a team we should have beaten.

We shall see what happens the next 2 games as I said we needed to split Philly and Toronto. We dropped the easy one so now we better get the much harder one.

I would agree we likely won’t beat Toronto which is why that game was important and a team we should have beaten.

We shall see what happens the next 2 games as I said we needed to split Philly and Toronto. We dropped the easy one so now we better get the much harder one.
yeah the loss is unfortunate for sure. I don't see us beating Toronto. Portland is obviously a must.

That’s how it always is. Typical Kings haha

Status
Not open for further replies.