[Game] Kings v. Hawks - Wednesday, Jan. 30 - 7PT/10ET

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I like Jerry. He's not pretentious or affected. He's too old for that s**t. He's just a genuine dude who loves the game. Tonight is the first game all year I watched without the mute button. I cannot take Doug Christie. He grinds my gears. Don't come at me with that phoney affected style. Don't talk me like I don't know better. Automatic mute.
you cannot take Doug Christie but you put up with Grant Napear? I applaud you mate.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
"The bigs were a little bit sluggish and a little bit...you know we need to show up more...you have to be honest with yourself..." - H. Giles (talking about tonight's game and the way the team started the game).

Thank goodness for the second unit. They won the game for the Kings.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
+27 for Giles (team best)
-6 for Willie (team worst)
The game is hard for Willie. The game is easy for Harry.
Does Yogurt know this? I am not sure.
I think Yogurt knows and Divac knows they need to get some value for WCS and that's not by sitting him.

P.S. It was interesting to me that in the postgame Joerger mentioned Bagley and Giles and Bjelica positively. WCS's name never came up.

So would I but no one is going to give us a 1st round pick for him. No way. Look at what Okafor, Bam, Zubac, Jarrett Allen, and other relatively random dudes have done recently in similar situations. They step up and ball. Heck look at what Harry did not vs Willie. No one wants Willie, including I would imagine the team for which he currently plays. If you are not much offensively you better make your mark on the other end. If you are not much defensively then you better make your mark on the other end. If you cannot make your mark on either end, well, your name is Willie. I want to like the guy. I have wanted to like the guy for years. but I cannot bely my conscience. I cannot hitch my wagon to a pretender.
You have summarized my thoughts nearly to a T.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I mentioned this earlier in this thread. I take credit for Harry's fantastic performance because he obviously wanted to prove me wrong. ;)

He did what he should do - played smart, played within his skill set, played to his strengths and didn't make stupid mistakes.
He also played better defense. It was the defense of Giles and Bagley that turned the game around. It was a waltz with Matilda in the lane for Atlanta in that first quarter. Atlanta scored 15 points in the first three and three quarter minutes. If they kept up that pace for 48 minutes they would score 192 points for the game.:eek:

In her defense he had a similar game a few weeks back then stunk it up his next 2-3 games. By the end of the year and next year I think 14pts 7reb 3ast will be a modest average
That's why the end of my post stated "consistency" haha. 1 game is too small a sample size obviously. However, his explosiveness tonight showed he is really far along in his rehab. We didnt see that level of explosiveness in summer league or the early part of the season. I wanna see him step out and rain some jumpers now. He has the range...

It’s been awhile since I have watched Lin play but liked what I saw. Yogi is quick and helps make a good backup up but adding someone like Lin would solidify that position.

I hesitate with the playoffs in reach to add a new point guard as it takes awhile to adjust to a new team. But if we can keep yogi also it would become more of a position of strength.

+27 for Giles (team best)
-6 for Willie (team worst)
The game is hard for Willie. The game is easy for Harry.
Does Yogurt know this? I am not sure.
To be fair, and few are as critical of DJ as me, Harry struggles against bigger stronger centers at this point. WCS doesn’t have Harry’s innate skills but he does have man muscle to play the Gasols of the NBA. Joeger not playing Harry against Memphis was probably okay.

That being said Harry and Bogi need more time on the floor together.

you cannot take Doug Christie but you put up with Grant Napear? I applaud you mate.
To be honest I had the sound on tonight but I wasn't really listening. I watch Kings games and NBA games with the sound off. I don't want to hear what someone else thinks, I like to formulate my own perceptions without interference. I love NBA minus random commentary, I am not sure what Grant said tonight, but his vibrational energy is more agreeable than Doug. I think Doug puts on a pretense and affectation. It is offensive to my senses whereas I can take Grant because I know he loves the team. Doug is more concerned with how he is being perceived. He is pandering to a degree. Grant is less self-aware. Jerry is old enough he doesn't care and that makes him endearing. Honestly though I will likely mute him next time too. I don't need the extra stimulus. The visuals are enough.

Bogi’s shooting was off but Harry doesn’t have the game he had without Bogi on the floor. Bogi’s passes are perfect for Harry whereas Fox passes like he is passing to WCS and Harry does jump as high.
I think Bogdan has better post-entry passes whereas Fox has better over the top passes. But Bogdan does a better job setting up teammates. Bogdan is our best playmaker, whereas I think Fox is the better passer.

To be fair, and few are as critical of DJ as me, Harry struggles against bigger stronger centers at this point. WCS doesn’t have Harry’s innate skills but he does have man muscle to play the Gasols of the NBA. Joeger not playing Harry against Memphis was probably okay.

That being said Harry and Bogi need more time on the floor together.
We beat a bad team on the second of a back-to-back by 22 points. Willie was -6. This means conceivably if we played Willie more than the 20 minutes the game would have been closer, potentially a game decided in the final minutes of the 4th. There is NO reason the game should have been so close. MB3 (+12) and Giles (+27) provided the separation. These guys are dynamic. They execute. Willie was fooling around against an inferior opponent with 3 TOs and 4 fouls. He did not assert himself, This is the norm not only this year but five years. Against better opponents he wilts. Against inferior opponents he plays down to that level. He cannot be trusted. He doesn't exert dominance, He doesn't display "man muscle". I want to like Willie, believe me! But he makes it very difficult, he makes it near impossible. There is truism I have espoused for many years: If a player is not an obvious part of the solution, he is part of the problem. Is it obvious that Willie is part of the solution? Is it obvious? If it is not obvious then you know the category in which to place him. It is not easy to be an integral component of an awesome team. Willie is just another guy who does not meet this formidable threshold.

I think it says a lot about the leap from last year to this that us Kings fans are having the conversations that we are. The last 10 years or so at this point in the season the conversation has been much different. Nobody on this board or anywhere in the league really knew this jump was going to happen. Kudos to the players and the coaching staff for working as hard as they have to be over .500 after 50 games. Whatever happens from this point on ots been a helluva season. I sure have enjoyed this year more than any year since around 2006. Go Kings!!!

To be honest I had the sound on tonight but I wasn't really listening. I watch Kings games and NBA games with the sound off. I don't want to hear what someone else thinks, I like to formulate my own perceptions without interference. I love NBA minus random commentary, I am not sure what Grant said tonight, but his vibrational energy is more agreeable than Doug. I think Doug puts on a pretense and affectation. It is offensive to my senses whereas I can take Grant because I know he loves the team. Doug is more concerned with how he is being perceived. He is pandering to a degree. Grant is less self-aware. Jerry is old enough he doesn't care and that makes him endearing. Honestly though I will likely mute him next time too. I don't need the extra stimulus. The visuals are enough.
You just sit there in silence watching the games? That's some serial killer level stuff Blob :)

We beat a bad team on the second of a back-to-back by 22 points. Willie was -6. This means conceivably if we played Willie more than the 20 minutes the game would have been closer, potentially a game decided in the final minutes of the 4th. There is NO reason the game should have been so close. MB3 (+12) and Giles (+27) provided the separation. These guys are dynamic. They execute. Willie was fooling around against an inferior opponent with 3 TOs and 4 fouls. He did not assert himself, This is the norm not only this year but five years. Against better opponents he wilts. Against inferior opponents he plays down to that level. He cannot be trusted. He doesn't exert dominance, He doesn't display "man muscle". I want to like Willie, believe me! But he makes it very difficult, he makes it near impossible. There is truism I have espoused for many years: If a player is not an obvious part of the solution, he is part of the problem. Is it obvious that Willie is part of the solution? Is it obvious? If it is not obvious then you know the category in which to place him. It is not easy to be an integral component of an awesome team. Willie is just another guy who does not meet this formidable threshold.
I think you are considering Willie as if he is starter material. Maybe consider if he was the backup to one of Giles or Bagley. Does that change your perspective any?

I think you are considering Willie as if he is starter material. Maybe consider if he was the backup to one of Giles or Bagley. Does that change your perspective any?
No. Willie as a backup does not appeal to me. The criteria I would use with regards to a viable backup would be if due to injury or foul trouble could the backup assume the starter role for limited time. Could the backup step up and get it done in a pinch? I do not think Willie could. If you have a 9-10 man rotation capable of going deep into the playoffs, I think those bench players need to be able to step up and perform equal to a starter caliber player. I would not trust Willie with this responsibility. No way, it would get ugly when the competitiveness increases. You think he struggles now in a game in January, wait until the game really count.

If his offense was better his defense lapses would be tolerable. If his D was better his offense limitations might be okay. But you have a guy that has one definable skill: dunking. That's not enough to be rotational player to go deep into the playoffs. It is NOT easy to meet this threshold. Look at the best Kings team back in the day with B-Jax, Turkoglu and other dudes off the bench. There was no deadweight there. Our bench guys back in the day could play starter minutes if they were asked. It is a high threshold and Willie does not rise to it, not at all, not even close. If we can trade Willie between now and one week away before the deadline, it will be a blessing. A total blessing. Please let it be.

I think Giles is the answer and should play more but WCS does have a role. BTW Atlanta was not on a B2B.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Hawks weren't on a back to back, they last played Monday

We are going to have the best backcourt in the NBA in three years (Fox, Buddy, AND Bogi).

We are also going to have the best frontcourt in the NBA in three years: Bagley, Giles and literally anyone else.

We have the most (it's just young and needs to learn) talent in the NBA... RIGHT NOW.
I think more specifically we have the most AND best fitting young core in the NBA that has legitimate scalable potential to become a championship squad.

It’s amazing how much luck is involved in the freaking game but looks like things have rolled well for us this time mwhahahaha

Invalid.
Joerger brought Bagley along at his speed, which is what I believe he intended to do all along. We don't know - nor will we ever know - how Bags would have done if he had been forced out there earlier. I trust Joerger's philosophy and style of working rooks into the rotation.
The guy (Joerger) knows what he's doing. So I trust him, too. There are times when I question him. Like his dependence on Z-bo last year. But he's a highly respected coach, and the players, with the possible exception of Bags, love and respect him. And I think Bags will come around (if indeed he has any sore feelings toward his rookie year coach).

dude12

Hall of Famer
The guy (Joerger) knows what he's doing. So I trust him, too. There are times when I question him. Like his dependence on Z-bo last year. But he's a highly respected coach, and the players, with the possible exception of Bags, love and respect him. And I think Bags will come around (if indeed he has any sore feelings toward his rookie year coach).
I’m a big time Joerger fanboy.....been for a while. I think he’s executing his 3 year plan as he said things would take that long. Excellent staff in developing the young players......and it’s not done yet which is the exciting part.