Kings trade Tyrese and Buddy for Sabonis and Holiday and Lamb

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's probably a good trade because it hurts so good. Halliburton was my favorite player on the Kings so I just hate to see him go. Hate it. I would have loved it if Fox was the guy sent to Indy instead of Halliburton because Fox really F'd up this season and he has much to do to get back in my good graces. In fact, longer term, this deal really hinges on Fox, who is much more of an unknown than Sabonis. When will Fox return from ankle soreness? When oh when will he ever play consistent defense? When, if ever, will he become a competent outside shooter? When will he take seriously his physical conditioning?

However, the Kings got a legit tough SOB in the front court, and I say that with much love in my heart. With him and Mitchell on the court at the same time maybe this team won't wilt like a day old petunia when they play Memphis. This does balance the roster out. It also sends Hield packing, and that's definitely a positive. (Condolences to the Indy fans who as devotees of fundamentally sound basketball have to endure Buddy Hield. You can't make up that level of irony). Lamb and Holiday are gravy. I've always liked Lamb. Lamb playing 50% of the time is better than Hield playing 100% of the time. Thank God I don't have to watch Buddy Hield in a Kings' uniform anymore.

Will be interesting to see what other deals will occur.

This trade is seriously way better than the Blazers trades for both sides though. The Blazers gave away their borderline all-star for a pick and Josh Hart. We traded our stud young guard for an actual all-star while keeping all our picks.
I understand Kings fans' emotional state at the loss of Tyrese Haliburton. His future is bright. It was not my preference for him to be traded. But the overreaction, while expected to a certain degree, is still shocking to see. For the last few days, everybody has depicted the trade block as a buyer's market. And Monte took advantage of that. Yes, he had to trade the Kings' best young prospect, but he just traded for a 25-year-old two-time all-star while unloading Buddy Hield's contract and departing with exactly zero future first round picks. In a vacuum, that's a job very well done.

It may not gel with the desires of many (myself included) to see the organization engage in a proper rebuild, but it is a way forward. Kings fans have been clamoring for the franchise to pick a direction, and Monte's chosen his (likely at the behest of ownership). Now he's faced with the difficult work of building around Fox/Sabonis, who aren't a natural fit with each other. This deal should be judged on how well he's able to accomplish that, and it's not all going to happen before the deadline on Thursday or in the half-season that remains.

In the off-season, McNair will hire his head coach, he'll make his pick in the draft (assuming it isn't traded in the next 48 hours), and he'll consider the rest of the moves required to turn Fox/Sabonis into part of a winning core. I don't envy him that particular challenge, but fans behaving as if this was some sort of sacrilegious move are not really rationally evaluating the trade in the scope of its success. They're presuming it won't work because of what has yet to be accomplished in the wake of the move, ignoring that Monte just traded for a two-time all-star in his prime without mortgaging the future. In trade threads around here, few imagined he'd be able to land a guy like Simmons or Sabonis without trading future draft capital. But he did.

That's not to say this is all going to work out. I actually don't like McNair's chances. But he's shooting his shot. I give him a lot of credit for that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
To me the best argument for Sabonis was his fit with Haliburton.

And you even got the side benefit of starting Mitchell in the backcourt as he and Tyrese fit well together.

Tyrese was one of the few reasons I was still engaged with this team at all. I'll wait until the trade deadline passes to see if other moves are made, but it's likely that I'm done as a Kings fan until this team gives me a reason to support it.
I like torturing myself so I'll still be here.
It's not like it has to be one or the other. #OffThatNarcotic

This is so bad on many levels... Haliburton was openly asking ti drop in the draft to play for the Kings.

Why do we do this?

I'm in shock.
Just a few days back he had emphasized that he wasn't here when things went south and stayed that way for years, but he will be here to turn things around. More, he was backing those words with his play.

I understand you got to give something to get something, and we had to balance our roster, but you don't trade players who are good and committed.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Watching the heads explode here. Sucks giving up Halliburton but Sabonis doesn’t suck. Plus isn’t he an all-star which seems to be an important gauge for some of you. So based on that we won the trade….you know cause Sabonis is an all-star.

But I’m expecting another deal or even 2……I’m guessing Holmes and or Barnes….assuming no one wants Bagley.
Holiday is a good defensive wing which is what we need. Sabonis is tough as nails who won’t get pushed around by anyone which is refreshing. Is what it is.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I understand Kings fans' emotional state at the loss of Tyrese Haliburton. His future is bright. It was not my preference for him to be traded. But the overreaction, while expected to a certain degree, is still shocking to see. For the last few days, everybody has depicted the trade block as a buyer's market. And Monte took advantage of that. Yes, he had to trade the Kings' best young prospect, but he just traded for a 25-year-old two-time all-star while unloading Buddy Hield's contract and departing with exactly zero future first round picks. In a vacuum, that's a job very well done.

It may not gel with the desires of many (myself included) to see the organization engage in a proper rebuild, but it is a way forward. Kings fans have been clamoring for the franchise to pick a direction, and Monte's chosen his (likely at the behest of ownership). Now he's faced with the difficult work of building around Fox/Sabonis, who aren't a natural fit with each other. This deal should be judged on how well he's able to accomplish that, and it's not all going to happen before the deadline on Thursday or in the half-season that remains.

In the off-season, McNair will hire his head coach, he'll make his pick in the draft (assuming it isn't traded in the next 48 hours), and he'll consider the rest of the moves required to turn Fox/Sabonis into part of a winning core. I don't envy him that particular challenge, but fans behaving as if this was some sort of sacrilegious move are not really rationally evaluating the trade in the scope of its success. They're presuming it won't work because of what has yet to be accomplished in the wake of the move, ignoring that Monte just traded for a two-time all-star in his prime without mortgaging the future. In trade threads around here, few imagined he'd be able to land a guy like Simmons or Sabonis without trading future draft capital. But he did.

That's not to say this is all going to work out. I actually don't like McNair's chances. But he's shooting his shot. I give him a lot of credit for that.
I'm keeping an open mind about the Fox-Sabonis chemistry. The thing about Sabonis is that he can actually outlet the ball for fast breaks off of defensive rebounds, which should benefit Fox if the Kings' coaching staff does their job.

That’s where I’m at too. Domatas is an all-star and a very skilled player. Tyrese also could be an All-Star in the future but for now Sabonis is the better player. It sucks but this isn’t like the time we traded Webber for three bad contracts because we wanted cap flexibility.

people talked about following the Bulls model with Fox. Well, we just got our Vuc.
I think the Blazers trading away CJ and Powell showed to Monte that they are ready to slide, and the 10th place is achievable. If that was the thinking behind the move, it's dumb. I'm not in the tank bandwagon, and don't mind the team competing with the current core for the 10th spot, or even trading guys like Buddy for more immediate value than prospects to strive for it. Trading away possibly your best player for a shot at the playins is a bad idea (assuming of course that that was one of the motivations).

that "best creator" has created 20 wins
"Best creator on the team". Is there a better facilitator on the kings currently? I am sad about his loss, but as i indicated its not all bad in that they have acquired an elite level talent in Sabonis. It would have been better to try an add him to fox and Hali but it is what it is now. Sabonis is an elite big with very few able to match his offensive production (a poor mans Jokic if you will). But Fox/Sabonis with a bad defensive and poor spacing team wont get it done. You need to make (an I anticipate Monte will make) at least another move before the deadline. Ideally, would like to move holmes for PJW and Ish smith (FRP would be nice but I doubt you will get more than two 2nds). Then I try to flip Barnes for Royce Oneal/Ingles and a FRP next year.

Mitchell/Smith
Fox/TD/Lamb
O'neale/Holiday/Harkless/Lamb
PJW/Metu
Sabonis/Jones/Len

In the off season Lamb, Ingles, and Bagley come off the books for 34M in cap room and you can go chase pieces like Bobby Portis (8-12M/yr for 3) if PJW doesnt live up to the hype we here are giving him, and other pieces like Watanabe (4-5m/yr for 3-4) or go Get a legit Max player if possible, but

Mitchell/Smith
Fox/TD/Holiday
O'neale/Watanabe/Holiday
Portis/PJW/Metu/Watanabe
Sabonis/Jones/Len

Sound like a balanced line up with reasonable shooting and strong perimeter and good interior defense. and you have a 2022 FRP, and likely 2 2023 FRP in this senario

Plus, mitchell can play well without the ball allowing better flow hopefully than Fox/hali who both need the ball for effectiveness.

Look I didnt want to lose Hali either, but people are walking around like hali was gonna save the kings. If anything it is a huge compliment on Kings fans that they lament the crappyness of the team but love their players so much, even if they only translate to 20 wins per year that they want to jump off a building when their up an coming above average player gets traded for an up and coming legit elite level player. 19/12/5...That is a strong stat line. Did guide his team to the playoffs as the lead player. So he is no scrub. It is not worse than the cousins deal. Here, the kings got the best player involved.

Last edited:
It's probably a good trade because it hurts so good. Halliburton was my favorite player on the Kings so I just hate to see him go. Hate it. I would have loved it if Fox was the guy sent to Indy instead of Halliburton because Fox really F'd up this season and he has much to do to get back in my good graces. In fact, longer term, this deal really hinges on Fox, who is much more of an unknown than Sabonis. When will Fox return from ankle soreness? When oh when will he ever play consistent defense? When, if ever, will he become a competent outside shooter? When will he take seriously his physical conditioning?

However, the Kings got a legit tough SOB in the front court, and I say that with much love in my heart. With him and Mitchell on the court at the same time maybe this team won't wilt like a day old petunia when they play Memphis. This does balance the roster out. It also sends Hield packing, and that's definitely a positive. (Condolences to the Indy fans who as devotees of fundamentally sound basketball have to endure Buddy Hield. You can't make up that level of irony). Lamb and Holiday are gravy. I've always liked Lamb. Lamb playing 50% of the time is better than Hield playing 100% of the time. Thank God I don't have to watch Buddy Hield in a Kings' uniform anymore.

Will be interesting to see what other deals will occur.
Legitimate question if Fox will even still be here on Friday

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean I've put it out there that Kings are my longest standing way of feeling connected to "home". If Marie Kondo were in charge we'd have a big fight about why I keep them. I'm also intent to be here for the big payday parade.
In all honesty, just knocking the Lakers out of the postseason in the play-in this year would make it all worth it for me lol

It's going to work...for Vivek and McNair. The Kings fan base is not clamoring to make the play offs. Only Vivek and McNair are clamoring for that. Desperate fools. They're going to trade for Grant and this team will end up treadmilling for 5 years. Enjoy those first round exits. I hope the Kings go bankrupt.