Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

In addition to all our picks opening back up.
A few guys that would fit that salary description (or just a bit above)…

Dejounte Murray
Kristaps Porzingis
Donovan Mitchell
Michael Porter Jr.
Andrew Wiggins
Desmond Bane
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Tyler Herro
Khris Middleton
Zion Williamson
Brandon Ingram
CJ McCollum
Julius Randle
Jerami Grant
Devin Vassell

You obviously have other guys like Bridges, Markkanen, etc. that are well below that salary level that could be considered as well. From that list though, Bane, Jackson Jr., & Vassell would be interesting.

Buddy and that tall white dork from Seattle ... I have a small list of former Kings I dislike. Even like Kenny Smith who I think loves to badmouth us on tv dating back to the Adelman teams I still look back semi-fondly and go "man got robbed in the dunk contest". I'll flip a coin on Danny Ainge.
you're not talking about this guy, are you?

From the released players I don't know who is the better fit for the Kings. If Fox will decide to take sometimes off to deal with his shoulder injury (hopefully not as long as Ja did) then Dinwiddie could help as a starter. If everyone is healthy I don't know if it makes sense signing him though, hard for him to play along with Fox and I don't think he will settle coming from the bench in case he has other offers.
Dinwiddie chose the Lakers finally, Kings weren't among the candidates, don't even know if they can sign anyone with Ellis getting regular contract,

A few guys that would fit that salary description (or just a bit above)…

Dejounte Murray
Kristaps Porzingis
Donovan Mitchell
Michael Porter Jr.
Andrew Wiggins
Desmond Bane
Jaren Jackson Jr.
Tyler Herro
Khris Middleton
Zion Williamson
Brandon Ingram
CJ McCollum
Julius Randle
Jerami Grant
Devin Vassell

You obviously have other guys like Bridges, Markkanen, etc. that are well below that salary level that could be considered as well. From that list though, Bane, Jackson Jr., & Vassell would be interesting.
it’s interesting that teams like the lakers, Knicks and to a lesser extent the Heat are banking on being able to trade for a star this offseason but I’m not sure there will be one available. One always pops up it seems but they tend to be the same guys: Harden, Durant and Kyrie.

There are 3 teams that can outbid anyone:
#1 Houston- tons of young players and the most valuable draft picks
#2 OKC 15 first rounders and 20 second rounders although most of them are likely not great picks
#3 Utah some young players and likely valuable picks

New York has 8 first round picks to trade but lots of protections and such on half of them.

I think it’s more likely that we will be after elite role players as opposed to star types so hopefully something can get done

I was fine when I see they didn't make a trade (not calling Lopez trade a trade). I did want them to do something, but it is fine that they didn't do anything, because I think you don't trade just to make a trade if you get what I am saying. If we are out in the first round again, remember the same thing happened to our Divac/Webber Kings. They were out in the first round two years in a row. First against Utah, and second against Lakers, right?

it’s interesting that teams like the lakers, Knicks and to a lesser extent the Heat are banking on being able to trade for a star this offseason but I’m not sure there will be one available. One always pops up it seems but they tend to be the same guys: Harden, Durant and Kyrie.

There are 3 teams that can outbid anyone:
#1 Houston- tons of young players and the most valuable draft picks
#2 OKC 15 first rounders and 20 second rounders although most of them are likely not great picks
#3 Utah some young players and likely valuable picks

New York has 8 first round picks to trade but lots of protections and such on half of them.

I think it’s more likely that we will be after elite role players as opposed to star types so hopefully something can get done
maybe KAT becomes available in the next two or three seasons if the Wolves have early Playoff exits

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I’m kind of interested to hear more. Funny enough I went to a college hoops game a few nights ago and he was there standing a few feet away from me.
Some people have issues with Spencer Hawes' political opinions. It should not have been brought up. It ends here, one more post on it and I nuke the whole thing.

..., because I think you don't trade just to make a trade if you get what I am saying...
This is where I stand as well. I'd much rather see us stay right where we are as opposed to making a random deal just to be able to write in the NBA history books that, just prior to the 2024 trade deadline, we made a deal. Monte will find a deal that he likes at some point. We just need to be patient and let the man do his thing. I have faith. We'll get back there eventually.

Damn did you see those stats of Daniel Gafford vs his old team. 16, 17, 5 blocks, 2 steals.
That’s the trade deadline player I wanted regardless of perceived fit with Sabonis, and now he’s a Mav.
oh fricken well

I’ve watched the last 3 Wizards games. They are actually looking a lot better with the new coach and play style. Poole just doesn’t have it but when they replace him with the other guards they look decent. Kuzma takes a few bad shots but they don’t really have anyone else to take those late in possession shots so he takes some tough ones. I wonder if Deni becomes available if they are committed to keeping Kuz long term. Deni has improved leaps and bounds this season but I could see him really breaking out next year. Good size and good defense. Might be a guy to monitor

I’ve said this before but McNair doesn’t need to make a big move this off-season (contrary to what many fans seem to believe).

Again, the focus is on Keegan Murray. Will he become that go-to option we need to become a championship contender or will he top out as a high level 3&D player? The answer to that question should untimely decide how McNair spends his assets, and if I were McNair, I’d want to see how Murray progresses in his 3rd season before making that decision. If he takes another leap, we can spend a lot our assets on the complementary pieces (3&D PF w/ size & length, 3&D SG, etc.). If he looks like he is plateauing, we can use those assets (and/or Murray) to bring in that level of player to hopefully elevate our ceiling to a championship contender level.

With that long term goal in mind, I was thinking about what a 2024 off-season may look like. Below are the following players that would are under contract for the 2024-25 season:
  1. Sabonis
  2. Fox
  3. Barnes
  4. Huerter
  5. Murray
  6. Lyles
  7. Vezenkov
  8. Mitchell
  9. Duarte
  10. Ellis
  11. Jones

Their salaries total to $151.5 mil (the projected salary cap is $141.0 mil and luxury tax is $171.3 mil). As you can see, we won’t have any cap space and will have to operate over the cap.

Monk is our big FA but we only have his Early Bird rights which means we can only offer him 175% of last years salary (he made $9.9 mil) which means we can offer him a max starting salary of $17.4 mil.

If Monk accepts that contract, that would then bring our payroll to $168.9 mil (only $2.4 mil under the luxury tax) with 3 roster spots left to fill. Depending on years of experience, minimum level contracts could be between $1.2-$3.3 mil. I think it would be safe to say that we’d become a tax paying team (which wouldn’t be ideal).

Instead of dipping into the tax, I’d probably look at trading both Mitchell and/or Duarte for future 2nds/cap space to give us some wiggle room. If we did, that would bring our payroll back down to $156.6 mil ($14.7 mil under the luxury tax with 10 players under contract).

I’d then look at filling out the roster with minimum level contracts for guys like Edwards, Len, & McGee, but I’d like us to target Robert Covington with part of our exception (allowing us to outbid other teams that may just be offering him the minimum.

Covington could end up being a starter on this team considering what he brings to the table (think Okpala but actually impactful):
  • He’s got terrific size, strength, & length (7’1.75” wingspan & 8’10” standing reach)
  • He’s still a good defender with advanced stats of +2.6 D-EPM (14th in the league) and +2.2 D-DPM (16th in the league)
  • He’d help protect the rim next to Sabonis (averages 1.6 blocks per 36 min the last 3 seasons)
  • He’d help improve our rebounding (averages 7.3 rebounds per 36 min the last 3 seasons)
  • He’d still provide spacing for Fox & Sabonis to operate (.379 3P% on 6.0 3PA per 36 minutes)
  • He can play small ball C but you could also go with a PF/C combo of Covington/Lyles to help mitigate going small at C.
He’ll be 33 at the start of the season next year so he’s obviously not a long term answer but he seems like an excellent low key move that would allow us to stay under the luxury tax another year (decreasing the # of years we’d be repeat offenders in the future) and potentially give this team an upgrade (based on fit not so much talent) while holding onto our assets to see what happens with Murray’s development.

Our minute rotation could be something like…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - Huerter (26) / Monk (12) / Murray (10)
SF - Murray (22) / Barnes (26)
PF - Covington (20) / Lyles (14) / Vezenkov (14)
C - Sabonis (34) / Len (8) / Lyles (6)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
Monk = 26 min
Huerter = 26 min
Barnes = 26 min
Covington = 20 min
Lyles = 20 min
Vezenkov = 14 min
Len = 8 min

…and our overall depth chart could be something like…

PG - Fox / Monk / Ellis
SG - Huerter / Jones
SF - Murray / Barnes / Edwards
PF - Covington / Lyles / Vezenkov
C - Sabonis / Len / McGee
TW - Slawson / Ford / 2024 SAC 2nd

Covington is an interesting target. 33/34 isn’t old anymore, I guess the concern there is injuries.

Ive become somewhat of a Ryan Dunn Evangelist. If you could find a way to acquire the 12th pick you could have a first team defense level player on a rookie scale. Check him out if you haven’t, warts and all.

I agree we don’t have to make a move this offseason, the trade deadline is more the mark I’d say.

I’m in favor of moving Monk into the starting unit next year with a defensive ace at the 4 because I think we would have plenty of offense and a top 12 defense. I’d move Kevin in this scenerio because he is best in a starting unit imo. I’d try to get value for him somewhere. Then rebuild the bench with Lyles, HB and sort out the last two rotation spots whether that’s internally or externally.

Covington is an interesting target. 33/34 isn’t old anymore, I guess the concern there is injuries.

Ive become somewhat of a Ryan Dunn Evangelist. If you could find a way to acquire the 12th pick you could have a first team defense level player on a rookie scale. Check him out if you haven’t, warts and all.

I agree we don’t have to make a move this offseason, the trade deadline is more the mark I’d say.

I’m in favor of moving Monk into the starting unit next year with a defensive ace at the 4 because I think we would have plenty of offense and a top 12 defense. I’d move Kevin in this scenerio because he is best in a starting unit imo. I’d try to get value for him somewhere. Then rebuild the bench with Lyles, HB and sort out the last two rotation spots whether that’s internally or externally.
Yeah you might be able to entice Covington with a $8-$12 mil contract over 2 years (with a team option in year 2). That should still keep us below the tax but it would also give us the flexibility to clear his salary after 1 year if it doesn’t work out or give us early bird rights after 2 years if the fit is right.

I admittedly haven’t been paying much attention to this years draft class simply because I don’t expect us to have a pick this year. I guess the one consolation prize if we fall out of the playoffs is it would put us in a position to draft someone like Dunn and hope & pray he develops a consistent jumper. But obviously I would much rather prefer to 1) add another playoff series of experience to our core and 2) open up our pick flexibility for future trades.

I saw someone post this trade on another forum and thought it was interesting…

Bruce Brown
2026 Toronto 2nd round pick

For

Kevin Huerter
Chris Duarte

For the Raptors…
  • They get younger
  • They get more shooting around Barnes
  • They don’t necessarily have to worry about overpaying Trent

For the Kings…
  • They get another solid, versatile defender who’s been a respectable shooter the past few seasons (having a down year this year)
  • He is already very familiar playing with a big like Sabonis (Jokic).
  • He's also an excellent rebounder for his size and a good ball handler/passer (has played some PG before).
  • He gives us another vet with championship experience to help our team with playoff basketball.
  • Unlike Huerter, I have a hard time seeing Brown being targeted and played off the court in the playoffs.
  • In the off chance we lose Monk (really hope not), we at least have another ball handler that’s used to being in that 6th man role (Denver).
  • We also get a 2nd rounder that might be pretty good considering it belongs to the Raptors.

This trade would obviously need to happen in the offseason, but we’d have the following roster under contract (assuming Monk is resigned)…

PG - Fox / Monk / Mitchell
SG - Ellis / Brown / Jones
SF - Murray / Vezenkov
PF - Barnes / Lyles
C - Sabonis

…and you could probably have a minute rotation of…

PG - Fox (34) / Monk (14)
SG - Ellis (26) / Monk (16) / Brown (6)
SF - Murray (28) / Brown (20)
PF - Barnes (26) / Sasha (14) / Murray (4) / Lyles (4)
C - Sabonis (34) / Lyles (14)

Fox = 34 min
Sabonis = 34 min
Murray = 32 min
Monk = 30 min
Ellis = 26 min
Barnes = 26 min
Brown = 26 min
Lyles = 18 min
Sasha = 14 min

…you could obviously swap Sasha’s minutes for a bigger backup C (resigned Len) and move Lyles minutes to PF but that’s the gist.

I like it, but brown needs to opt in to his 1 year deal.

I’m pretty sure it’s a team option that Toronto will have to pick up if they don’t want to lose him for nothing.

It’s not clear what Toronto is doing. They are signing win now role players like Poeltl and Dazed & Confused but I don’t know if Barnes/RJ/IQ is a good enough core to build
Around. They will likely have a high draft pick this year (believe it has to stay in the top 5 or 7 or they lose it to the Spurs) maybe they strike good there.

As far as the trade, it doesn’t seem like bad value for either team. I don’t know what value Brown will have as an expiring. They wanted a non ‘24 first rounder for him at the deadline, didn’t get it and now he has half a season less on the deal.

I like it, but brown needs to opt in to his 1 year deal.
It should be a team option so the Raptors would just have to pick it up, guarantee his contract, and then make the trade posted above.

The interesting thing about Brown’s contract is it’s sort of the reverse of the Monk situation. We’d have his early bird rights to go over the cap to resign him but they overpaid him to begin with so we shouldn’t have to worry about being capped in a bidding war for his services (like what we’re all afraid of with Monk). It’s actually a very interesting strategy to offer very bloated 2 year contracts while knowing the early bird rights should still allow that team to keep them while operating over the cap.