Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

I’m curious what if any offers were made for Barnes, Huerter and Mitchell…

Also any thoughts on Korkmaz, who was released, or any other released player that might help our squad.
Just my guesses, but I wouldn't be surprised if teams didn't offer much for any of those guys.

Barnes had a steep decline after getting a new contract and wasn't really contributing positively to the team up until a month ago. With 2 more years left on his contract, I think he would've only netted back an equal player in return. ex: overpaid veteran with a big contract who's in a decline.

For Huerter, his shooting struggles didn't do him any favors. I think he bounced back a bit, but I don't think he would've gotten us a 1st round seeing how an expiring Buddy Hield went for 2nd rounders. Huerter is younger, but neither guy plays defense and Buddy is a much better shooter.

Davion.. we'd be lucky if a team offered a 2nd round pick for him. Completely out of the rotation for most of the season.

Also - maybe the Kings like what they have in Colby, Keon and Sasha. Any trade would take development time away from those 3 players.

And Monte might be smart in waiting until the off-season.

I just really wanted a long, active defender so badly for this squad.

Just my guesses, but I wouldn't be surprised if teams didn't offer much for any of those guys.

Barnes had a steep decline after getting a new contract and wasn't really contributing positively to the team up until a month ago. With 2 more years left on his contract, I think he would've only netted back an equal player in return. ex: overpaid veteran with a big contract who's in a decline.

For Huerter, his shooting struggles didn't do him any favors. I think he bounced back a bit, but I don't think he would've gotten us a 1st round seeing how an expiring Buddy Hield went for 2nd rounders. Huerter is younger, but neither guy plays defense and Buddy is a much better shooter.

Davion.. we'd be lucky if a team offered a 2nd round pick for him. Completely out of the rotation for most of the season.
imo this is a slight undervaluation of those 3.

I don’t think the return would be great for Barnes because the teams that would want him are playoff teams and they aren’t going to give us a better player. We agree there but I don’t think he is overpaid or declining. He proved lately he is the same player he always was, he and the team decided to stop deferring to Keegan. Buddy only got 3 second round picks became he doesn’t have a contract after this year as you pointed out, he is never happy with his role and he makes a ton of mistakes. KVon is very similar to buddy as a shooter, streaky but one of the best when on. He can also pass and create a bit for himself, has a team friendly deal and no baggage. I believe he is worth a first. Davion is probably worth 2 or 3 seconds imo, some team out there would take a crack at him. I think he will eventually find success, just don’t know where.

Also - maybe the Kings like what they have in Colby, Keon and Sasha. Any trade would take development time away from those 3 players.

He very likely is smart for waiting. The play-in tournament's impact on the trade deadline is an underappreciated wrinkle. The number of teams in the mix for a playoff seed has expanded as a result of that tournament, which depresses the number of GMs looking to make a deal at the trade deadline in pursuit of jumpstarting a rebuild. With fewer sellers and fewer available players, the talent on the market at the deadline is going to get pricier. If you're going to have to surrender more assets to acquire talent at the deadline, you'd better be sure that the talent you're acquiring is going to move the needle for you.

People tend to forget that the NBA trade deadline used to be a boring affair with very few significant deals announced and a limited amount of player movement. It's only in the last 10-15 years that we've seen an explosion of hyperactivity at the deadline, and I expect a reversion to the mean as a result of the play-in tournament's impact and the new CBA's impact. A bunch of team cap sheets are going to get a lot more complicated to manage as a result of the second apron, so GMs will likely elect to wait until the offseason to deal with roster composition when they have more time, more room to breathe, a better understanding of where their team stands in the larger playoff picture, and more sellers coming to market to balance out the price required to acquire talent via trade.

This is extremely interesting. It confirms at least one case of "already made the decision - showcasing other players". Which one could then extrapolate to other players - and that Monte was trying to swing a deal for the players such as Davion who are not in the long term plans.

Very, very interesting. One thing I love about Monte is we get so few data points before something happens that it makes reading the signs a sport in itself.

I rate this move a 9.5/10 on the Lasagna Scale!

I'd have to throw Kessler in that group as well. Unless the wine in Argentina where I currently am is even better than I realize.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Keon with the 3 year deal! Bye Davion
I do think the "good riddance" style comments should be reserved for players who badmouth the team or the city, or quit on us, or force a trade, that sort of thing. Davion has been a model citizen as far as I can tell, and there hasn't been any reason to believe that he's not a hard worker. He just hasn't developed the lead guard skills and reliable shooting that are required for players his size to hold their own. He's a great defender, but sometimes that's just not enough to earn you a solid rotation spot in the NBA. Hey, it's the best league in the world. And he's on the edge of being a contributing player, but he's not quite there. At any rate, he's under contract for next year, so unless he's part of a trade package (and that can't happen until the offseason now) he's going to be part of this team. Your schadenfreude is going to have to wait.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I do think the "good riddance" style comments should be reserved for players who badmouth the team or the city, or quit on us, or force a trade, that sort of thing. Davion has been a model citizen as far as I can tell, and there hasn't been any reason to believe that he's not a hard worker. He just hasn't developed the lead guard skills and reliable shooting that are required for players his size to hold their own. He's a great defender, but sometimes that's just not enough to earn you a solid rotation spot in the NBA. Hey, it's the best league in the world. And he's on the edge of being a contributing player, but he's not quite there. At any rate, he's under contract for next year, so unless he's part of a trade package (and that can't happen until the offseason now) he's going to be part of this team. Your schadenfreude is going to have to wait.
Yeah. Buddy Hield can suck it. I’m still ride or die for Davion.

I do think the "good riddance" style comments should be reserved for players who badmouth the team or the city, or quit on us, or force a trade, that sort of thing.
I completely agree. These are guys that we know for sure gave every ounce of effort to the team and the city. They deserve nothing but respect. Let's at least reserve our ire for the complete clowns pretending to be basketball fans of the Warriors and Lakers.

I wasn't necessarily saying "good riddance," just that the writing was on the wall for his departure from the team.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah. Buddy Hield can suck it. I’m still ride or die for Davion.
Buddy and that tall white dork from Seattle ... I have a small list of former Kings I dislike. Even like Kenny Smith who I think loves to badmouth us on tv dating back to the Adelman teams I still look back semi-fondly and go "man got robbed in the dunk contest". I'll flip a coin on Danny Ainge.

Well, unless Monte is determined to add nothing to this team in the offseason or let Len and Edwards walk, this puts the Kings even closer to that danger zone with the cap. Both Duarte and Davion need to find new homes with likely nothing coming back unless Monte can pull off a big trade that makes it worth going over into 1st apron territory.

Buddy and that tall white dork from Seattle ... I have a small list of former Kings I dislike. Even like Kenny Smith who I think loves to badmouth us on tv dating back to the Adelman teams I still look back semi-fondly and go "man got robbed in the dunk contest". I'll flip a coin on Danny Ainge.
Buddy, tall white and terrible aka he who must not be named, and Marcus Thornton are my three headed hydra of players I try to forget were ever Kings.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Buddy, tall white and terrible aka he who must not be named, and Marcus Thornton are my three headed hydra of players I try to forget were ever Kings.
not being local or having league pass during his time maybe I am missing something about player #3. What did he do wrong?

Amick in the Athletic on Kings standing pat (avoiding copy/pasting a paywalled article):

-we made serious pursuit at Siakam and OG. Both are free agents this summer. Siakam had no interested in staying in Sac. OG they had "concerns" about him staying. Raps were asking for Keegan for OG. A deal was very close for Siakam - which sounds like it was getting to the finish line at which point Siakam's camp indicated he wasn't gonna stay.

-Kings have been linked to Kuz for since forever but those talks died well before the deadline. Kings wanted 3 point shooting and didn't want to give a rotation player. (nb: Kuz is at 33% vs 40% for Barnes). Wiz asking for 2 first rounders was also too steep.

No mention of why no peripheral moves were made, but Amick specifically gives nods to fans being frustrated with this team not being good enough to make the leap past the first round, while acknowledging how disappointed fans were. I'm sure Sam will be making the rounds soon for longer interviews on Kings deadline, but including the stuff about fan discontent sounds like he's panning our deadline non-movement. Since he is himself a Kings fan, after all.

https://theathletic.com/5262259/2024/02/09/nba-trade-deadline-lakers-warriors-bulls-kings/

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Some of these teams are just flat-out delusional. Oh you want our 30 year old journeyman with one year left on his contract? Sure, just trade us your 21 year old recent lottery pick who is under team control for at least another 5 years (1 year of rookie contract then restricted status) and also happens to be your #3 scorer this season. Seems fair alright.

Some of these teams are just flat-out delusional. Oh you want our 30 year old journeyman with one year left on his contract? Sure, just trade us your 21 year old recent lottery pick who is under team control for at least another 5 years (1 year of rookie contract then restricted status) and also happens to be your #3 scorer this season. Seems fair alright.
Eh I can see it from Chicago's perspective. Warriors are at #11 in the west and Caruso was probably one of the more sought after trade targets on the market. The natural trading partner for them is an old-ass team desperate to make one more run and looking for an upgrade to do it. Warriors are known for dumping youth anyways. So Caruso for good picks or young talent is what makes the most sense, so obviously they came in high with a big demand to get GSW's prize young'n and couldn't work an alternate deal from there.

Price of doing business and a prime example of why swinging big impact trades is so hard in the league. Esp compared to somewhere like NFL (or other analogous business environments) where deep rosters and long drafts means there's a lot more assets to haggle over

Well, unless Monte is determined to add nothing to this team in the offseason or let Len and Edwards walk, this puts the Kings even closer to that danger zone with the cap. Both Duarte and Davion need to find new homes with likely nothing coming back unless Monte can pull off a big trade that makes it worth going over into 1st apron territory.
Did we get this confirmed on the apron? We are 22nd in payroll according to the Monte presser.

Did we get this confirmed on the apron? We are 22nd in payroll according to the Monte presser.
I posted the totals from Sportrac on the screenshot. I didn't see his presser but I think the Kings are 21-22 THIS season. Next season without the cap holds (which includes Monk at 12, but he can sign for like 17-18) the Kings are higher. With their cap holds they are 178 which obviously Lopez won't matter but even without him they are over the luxury tax line which is like 171-172 next season from what I read. Re-signing Monk and using the MLE as is would put the team over the first apron or close to it which is 178 and change next season.

I’d guess if they use the MLE it will be with the intent to employ that person in the top 8, rotation wise, so naturally they’d want to move on from whoever is replaced in that spot if that person is on more than a vet min or rookie deal, right?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Eh I can see it from Chicago's perspective. Warriors are at #11 in the west and Caruso was probably one of the more sought after trade targets on the market. The natural trading partner for them is an old-ass team desperate to make one more run and looking for an upgrade to do it. Warriors are known for dumping youth anyways. So Caruso for good picks or young talent is what makes the most sense, so obviously they came in high with a big demand to get GSW's prize young'n and couldn't work an alternate deal from there.

Price of doing business and a prime example of why swinging big impact trades is so hard in the league. Esp compared to somewhere like NFL (or other analogous business environments) where deep rosters and long drafts means there's a lot more assets to haggle over
Chicago is going nowhere and Caruso is a good player on a playoff team but not a guy you build your roster around. Getting greedy means Chicago gets nothing for a guy who probably would have net them a first round pick and a pretty good young player like Moody. He'll be an expiring contract next year so they can't ask for nearly as much.