Kings trade rumor SZN 2023-2024 edition!

If we are going to make a significant move, Grant/Thybulle would be my 1st choice.

I’d rather have Thybulle over Brogdon too. We would already have Fox, Monk, Murray, Grant, and Sabonis as shot creators/playmakers. I think his skills and usage would overlap a bit too much for us to really utilize him to his full potential (and then there’s the fact that he makes ~$12 mil more than Thybulle). A low usage, elite defender like Thybulle makes a lot more sense with that core.
I’d take either or grabbing Brogdan from portlands side would be shedding salary. His skills might overlap but he’s a team first player and with his shooting/defense he’d be great at SG next to fox. What makes him really good would be improving our bench. Amazing playmaker that would fit with Monk, Lyles, and Len in the second unite he averaged 17-3-7 as a starter for Portland

If we are going to make a significant move, Grant/Thybulle would be my 1st choice.

I’d rather have Thybulle over Brogdon too. We would already have Fox, Monk, Murray, Grant, and Sabonis as shot creators/playmakers. I think his skills and usage would overlap a bit too much for us to really utilize him to his full potential (and then there’s the fact that he makes ~$12 mil more than Thybulle). A low usage, elite defender like Thybulle makes a lot more sense with that core.
it might come down to whether the Blazers think Thybulle can be part of their team as a bench piece. I personally think he is a better fit on an offense heavy team as a low usage defensive starter. Brogdan might be more expendable for then and he could serve as Monk insurance. My preference would be Thybulle as well if he is indeed available

I would love Siakam ( borderline all star, chip on his shoulder, team player, would add some much needed toughness) but at this point it looks unlikely unless we just say **** it and accept the 3 month rental

Lavine was intriguing a couple years ago but is definitely less so now. Maybe a new environment would invigorate him but the contract, the injuries and the lack of defense are a real concern.

Grant’s contract is a bit hard to swallow but he’s definitely an upgrade over Barnes / Huerter as a wing. Thybule or Brogdan tossed in would be amazing. I think just attempting to get one or both of Thybule or Brogdan would help. Brogdan probably more so though.

Caruso just doesn’t really seem available for anything reasonable.

I just don't think much of Kuzma. He might buy in and be a nice addition but he just doesn't seem like a winner or really that interested in playing D. On the other hand, he can get a bucket, is athletic and can rebound. Maybe I've talked myself in to him haha.

Wiggins as a reclamation project would definitely be of interest given his history with Mike Brown and the fact he was very good only a year ago.

Moody would be interesting too but I don’t know what

Last edited:
I would love Siakam ( borderline all star, chip on his shoulder, team player, would add some much needed toughness) but at this point it looks unlikely unless we just say **** it and accept the 3 month rental

Lavine was intriguing a couple years ago but is definitely less so now. Maybe a new environment would invigorate him but the contract, the injuries and the lack of defense are a real concern.

Grant’s contract is a bit hard to swallow but he’s definitely an upgrade over Barnes / Huerter as a wing. Thybule or Brogdan tossed in would be amazing. I think just attempting to get one or both of Thybule or Brogdan would help. Brogdan probably more so though.

Wiggins as a reclamation project would definitely be of interest given his history with Mike Brown and the fact he was very good only a year ago.

Moody would be interesting too but I don’t know what
Honestly 4 years $132 million for a wing averaging
22-3-2 playing good defense isn’t that. We need to get athletic id take grant over Kuzma

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

People are talking about LaVine and Caruso when the subtle deal is making an angle for PWill and Lonzo.

It's nice to think about what players to trade for but thinking from the other side, do we really have anyone that the other team wants? No one is clamoring for HB or Heurter. People are asking for Keegan or Monk. Lyles or Davion may work as fillers in a deal. Our FRPs are locked in the Huerter trade. No one that moves the needle is coming in a trade unless we take on a bad contract.

No thanks on Ball. Good player, but with such an injury history it's too risky of a play. We hold Lavine's injury history against him, I don't see why we would give Ball a pass on his.

Anyways it’s got me thinking. If PWiil is the prize take on Ball for a year to shed some salary.
Maybe Ball might work out but Williams sure looked good coming out of college. If he can put it together here we have a heck of a young forward pairing going forward.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
is ball expected to play again this season? I saw that he slated to begin running here soon
He probably won't play this year. He's not exactly the point, Patrick Williams is. PWill is a low usage player who is going to make his impact through energy and defense and is probably going to be OK with that role. But try to get Patrick Williams for HB or Huerter and Chicago will laugh. We'd have to throw in a bunch of picks to make them think about it. But...take the salary of Lonzo off their books and they might think differently. Lonzo actually panning out for a year (and he possibly could) would just be icing on the cake.

The point is, I don't think the move that puts us over the top is going to be an obvious one. It's going to be a Corliss-for-Christie move that's a bit of a head scratcher at first but turns out to be a coup de grace.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Anyways it’s got me thinking. If PWiil is the prize take on Ball for a year to shed some salary.
Maybe Ball might work out but Williams sure looked good coming out of college. If he can put it together here we have a heck of a young forward pairing going forward.
Nailed it while I was explaining!

Why would we target Ball? He might never play basketball again.

come on lol.
It’s not that the target is Ball. The target would be Williams but taking on Ball would 1) decrease the amount of assets we’d need to surrender for Williams (e.g., allowing us to keep our 1sts) and 2) take a low risk chance that Ball gets healthy and becomes the SG we’ve been looking for

He probably won't play this year. He's not exactly the point, Patrick Williams is. PWill is a low usage player who is going to make his impact through energy and defense and is probably going to be OK with that role. But try to get Patrick Williams for HB or Huerter and Chicago will laugh. We'd have to throw in a bunch of picks to make them think about it. But...take the salary of Lonzo off their books and they might think differently. Lonzo actually panning out for a year (and he possibly could) would just be icing on the cake.

The point is, I don't think the move that puts us over the top is going to be an obvious one. It's going to be a Corliss-for-Christie move that's a bit of a head scratcher at first but turns out to be a coup de grace.
agree, but I thought they don’t want to Take back big salary? Isn’t he on the books for 20per?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
agree, but I thought they don’t want to Take back big salary? Isn’t he on the books for 20per?
I believe Lonzo is at $20M with a player option next year he'll almost certainly pick up and Williams is at $9M+
Salary matching rules being what they are, they will pretty much have to take back salary if they want to dump Lonzo. Not saying that they do, I don't know their thinking at all. But I think this is the kind of move that's more likely to help us, rather than targeting the type who have grown too big for their britches at their current stop.

I believe Lonzo is at $20M with a player option next year he'll almost certainly pick up and Williams is at $9M+
Salary matching rules being what they are, they will pretty much have to take back salary if they want to dump Lonzo. Not saying that they do, I don't know their thinking at all. But I think this is the kind of move that's more likely to help us, rather than targeting the type who have grown too big for their britches at their current stop.
sorry, should have specified…meant the kings. Recent article said they are leery of taking any big money back

Well, for my 2 cents, I would love to get Grant from Portland. I think he's a perfect fit on our team. Solid defender who doesn't go shot hunting, but is capable of putting points on the board. If we could acquire Thybulle in the same deal, that would be a bonus. We have multiple players that are all very similar, Duarte, Edwards, Toscano, and even Ellis. Brown can't make up his mind who he likes the most.

Grant is also familiar with the dribble hand off style we play, having played it with a very similar player to Sabonis in Denver named Jokic. Plus Jordi Fernandez was an assistant coach on that team, so there's some familiarity there. Of course one could make a similar argument for Wiggins and Brown. Ham mentioned a trade that he said he thought of, with the Kings trading Barnes and Mitchell for Wiggins and Moody. Personally I would make that trade in hopes that Wiggins returns to the player he used to be.

Why would the Warriors do that trade? To save money. It would save them a ton off their penalty for the year. The Warriors pay around 186 million dollars in penalty this season, and that's on top of a 200 million dollar payroll. That's a lot of money for a team that appears to be going nowhere and with the Curry window slowly closing.

I'm not a fan of Lavine, but love Caruso. He's worth Huerter and at least one 1st rd pick. I like Siakam, but worry about his fit, and the fact that there's no guarantee he'll resign with us. Kuzma falls into that maybe zone for me. Not a huge fan, but maybe it could work. He's more of a shot hunter than I like, but maybe he's capable of adapting his game. Don't like his contract! My problem with Patrick Williams is that lately he spends too much time on the IR. Maybe it's just an aberration, but it concerns me. If getting him means we dump Mcgee, then I'm on board. He has to lead the league in mistakes per minute....