Kings trade Richaun Holmes and 24th overall pick to Mavericks for ????

Hate to say it, but I think the Draymond drumbeat is going to be very very loud. If he leaves GS, I'm guessing it would only be for someone like Mike Brown coaching him. And he's the type of dude who would want to stay in division and go stick it to GS for not reupping him.
And this time if he's stomping on anyone hopefully it's Durant in the conference finals.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Hate to say it, but I think the Draymond drumbeat is going to be very very loud. If he leaves GS, I'm guessing it would only be for someone like Mike Brown coaching him. And he's the type of dude who would want to stay in division and go stick it to GS for not reupping him.
Drafting/Signing guys with similar skills/bodytype to him is certainly a choice too.

I have a feeling that Monte already has a trade lined up to acquire some talent. I don't see Monte as the type to swing a trade and give up a FRP just to open cap space without a solid plan already in place to use the cap space. IMHO, I don't think the cap space is to go after a big money free agent, which he may or may not get.

IMHO, the likely target is another Atlanta player, John Collins. Seeing all of these salary dump trades this week and teams not really having to give up much except for cap space. John Collins for a couple of 2nd rounders makes a lot of sense for both teams.

The other player that Monte may be targeting with the cap space is Siakam, but I'm not sure the Kings have the assets to pry Siakam loose.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Well what does that mean?

If it was just some fake 2nd, they couldn't announce that now? Are we getting a real something?
I was thinking maybe a Bogdan / Sasha situation … but (at least according to RealGM) the only rights the Mavs have are for a couple of players who are 35 & 36 respectively so it isn’t that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well what does that mean?

If it was just some fake 2nd, they couldn't announce that now? Are we getting a real something?
I'd guess that when the Kings and Dallas were talking during the draft, Dallas said "We'll take Holmes and #24, and you can select one from this list of assets." Monte then said, "We accept the trade, but it's the middle of the draft and we can't do our due diligence on this list of assets. We will agree to the trade in principle and get you our selection in the morning."

Who knows whether those assets are second round picks, or unsigned player rights, or cash, or what. To be honest, Dallas has extremely little to offer - their unsigned draft picks are both 35 or over, they may or may not have their 2025 second, and they've got a 2030 second. Monte may be agonizing over a second vs. cash.

I'd guess that when the Kings and Dallas were talking during the draft, Dallas said "We'll take Holmes and #24, and you can select one from this list of assets." Monte then said, "We accept the trade, but it's the middle of the draft and we can't do our due diligence on this list of assets. We will agree to the trade in principle and get you our selection in the morning."

Who knows whether those assets are second round picks, or unsigned player rights, or cash, or what. To be honest, Dallas has extremely little to offer - their unsigned draft picks are both 35 or over, they may or may not have their 2025 second, and they've got a 2030 second. Monte may be agonizing over a second vs. cash.
Maybe that Hardy guy

Windy has proven himself reliable and this video hits all the notes of what I'm feeling about the situation. Complicated. I get the feeling we might need a dedicated Dray FA thread soon

Windy has proven himself reliable and this video hits all the notes of what I'm feeling about the situation. Complicated. I get the feeling we might need a dedicated Dray FA thread soon
Brown’s offense needs spacers and a 3 point shooting threat at the PF spot, to open up the lanes for Fox and Sabonis.

Draymond is not a good 3 point shooter and would cause the spacing to collapse. I don’t think Draymond would be a good fit in Brown’s system.

The details not being disclosed yet is very interesting.

Part of me wonders if it’s going to be John Collins and returning our 2024 1st. So essentially we would have traded our 2023 1st and Holmes for our 2024 1st and Collins.

Another part of me wonders if this could be even bigger. Something like the following (still need to go through salary matching)..

—————————

ATL Gets: Pascal Siakam
ATL Gives: John Collins, Dejounte Murray, and SAC 2024 1st

PG - Young / Bufkin / Krejci
SG - Griffin / Bogdanovic / Matthews
SF - Hunter / Bey / Martin
PF - Siakam / Johnson
C - Capela / Okongwu / Fernando

—————————

DAL Gets: Richaun Holmes & #24
DAL Gives: Fake DAL 2nd

PG - Irving
SG - Green / Hardy
SF - Bullock / Hardaway
PF - Doncic / Kleber / Prosper
C - Lively / McGee / Holmes

—————————

TOR Gets: Dejounte Murray, Davion Mitchell, 2024 SAC 1st, & 2026 SAC 1st
TOR Gives: Pascal Siakam & OG Anunoby

PG - Murray / Mitchell / Flynn
SG - Trent / Wisekamp
SF - Dick / Porter
PF - Barnes / Boucher / Young
C - Poeltl / Koloko / Achiuwa

—————————

SAC Gets: John Collins, OG Anunoby, & Fake DAL 2nd
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes, Davion Mitchell, #24, 2024 SAC 1st, & 2026 SAC 1st

PG - Fox / Monk
SG - Huerter / Jones / Dozier
SF - Murray / Edwards / Slawson
PF - Anunoby / Lyles
C - Sabonis / Collins

—————————

We may have to say goodbye to Lyles, Edwards, and Dozier in this scenario to make salaries work. Lyles being the biggest loss but with our PF and C minutes going to Murray, Anunoby, Collins, and Sabonis (& Sasha if he comes over), I’m not sure we’d have much room for him anyway.

Not a minor thing but by making the Mavs eat Richaun’s salary, we essentially took them right back out of the fee agent (Grant Williams) market. We also somehow have more cap space than the Pacers
What stands out?

We’re the only playoff team (let alone a 3rd seed) with significant cap space. We have a pretty easy selling point over many of these other suitors.

It's a horrible move if we didn't draft someone at twenty something vs thirty something even though we opened up significant cap space and already have the number one player in Europe come over?

I will allow you to retract this statement.
we have a hole at wing and especially defensively. We struggled all year guarding bigger wings, Sasha isn’t helping that hole in the least.

Prosper could have helped fill that hole. Like I said, if Monte is able to use that cap space to get a good defensive wing than I think it’s a good move. If he swings and misses it’s a horrible move.

I would be good a number of guys not named Kuzma or Collins that can play defense

I like Cam Johnson as a Starter - would fit in nicely if letting Barnes go but he's restricted so the Nets will want a pick possibly., but I wouldn't mind em resigning Barnes for the a good value either, and going for one other player smaller upgrade.

Right but in the same role Sabonis plays.
True, but the Warriors pretty much always have paired Dray with a big throughout their whole run. They'd always shift down to the death lineup in crunch time, but still.

I'd be interested to see how 2 offensive hub bigs could work together. Even with both as very very shaky shooters. And while Keegan/Huerter certainly aren't Steph and Klay, they're still pretty damn good, elite spacers.

Dray isn't my favorite path this off-season by any means, but he's certainly well ahead of giving Grant or Kuzma a massive deal.

Warriors didn’t necessarily play with Draymond at the elbow all the time though. Before the KD signing, they would play Dray at the 4 next to guys like Bogi’s or Zaza
The non shooting big lineup was always masked by the greatest shooter and one of the greatest shooters of all time. The Kings don't really have that luxury. Yeah, Keegan and Huerter are good shooters but they can't just rip it anytime from anywhere like Steph and Klay can. It worked well for the Warriors because you had two guys who could bail you out and an extra passer in Green who could set others up for easy looks.

I personally don't think the pairing would work but I could be very wrong. I just keep going back to the fact that it just didn't really seem like the Kings defense is what hurt them in the playoffs. It seemed like their defense took a big step forward but their offense went cold.

True, but the Warriors pretty much always have paired Dray with a big throughout their whole run. They'd always shift down to the death lineup in crunch time, but still.

I'd be interested to see how 2 offensive hub bigs could work together. Even with both as very very shaky shooters. And while Keegan/Huerter certainly aren't Steph and Klay, they're still pretty damn good, elite spacers.

Dray isn't my favorite path this off-season by any means, but he's certainly well ahead of giving Grant or Kuzma a massive deal.
Grant can play defense. In my ranking I have

1) Cam Johnson
2) Jeremi Grant.

everyone else..

Uh what? He played for Brown for 6 years lol
Green played for Brown with 3 other world class / all time best shooters surrounding him, Steph, Klay and KD.

The Kings 2 stars are not 3 point shooters (Fox and Sabonis). The reason why the Kings offense was so good this year was because of spacing at the other 3 spots next to Fox and Sabonis.

Insert Draymond in the starting 5 and you have 3 non-shooters in the starting line up and clogging the lanes for Fox and Sabonis to operate.

Green played for Brown with 3 other world class / all time best shooters surrounding him, Steph, Klay and KD.

The Kings 2 stars are not 3 point shooters (Fox and Sabonis). The reason why the Kings offense was so good this year was because of spacing at the other 3 spots next to Fox and Sabonis.

Insert Draymond in the starting 5 and you have 3 non-shooters in the starting line up and clogging the lanes for Fox and Sabonis to operate.
Yeah I get it. It's a trade-off; Dray hurts our spacing, but he also probably makes the Kings a top 15ish defense too.