Kings trade JT, Nik and Landry to Sixers (renamed)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Brings me to my point. Vlade Divac has really snuck up on all of us. Pete D'Alessandro probably wasn't the only one who figured it was a ceremonial role at first - I think we all believed that (I sure did). But, now that it appears that Vlade is really and truly calling the shots - well, he has done a pretty damn good job of it. So.. why SHOULD he worry about hiring a GM. How about if he just keeps being the head of basketball operations - calling the personnel shots with a little help from his friends? Let him hire a consigliere like Jerry West's kid or some third stringer from San Antonio or something like that - maybe a cap guru to replace Pete... but let Vlade be the next iteration of Geoff Petrie until he absolutely proves he can't.
Not ALL of us. I believe I consistently pointed out that Vlade would surprise people; that he had a knowledge of the game and the politics thereof that was a lot more than most were giving him credit for.

The first rounder:
We owe our 2016 first-rounder to the Chicago Bulls. That pick is top-10 protected next year, and if it doesn’t convey then it will be top-10 protected in 2017 as well. Should the pick still not convey by then, it will become a second-round pick.
The Sixers will receive Sacramento’s first-round pick either two years after the Kings’ first-round debt to the Bulls is paid or in 2018 if the pick owed to Chicago becomes two seconds (in case we keep our pick next year. and lose it in 2017 we will give the sixers the 2019 first rounder top 10 protected or 2020 unprotected because of the Stepien rule).
The pick owed to Philadelphia is protected for picks 1-10 for one year before becoming unprotected.

The pick swaps:
The picks swaps depend partially upon the Kings’ debt to Chicago. The Sixers have the right to swap first-rounders with Sacramento in both 2016 and 2017, but their ability to do so may go away in one of those seasons if the Kings select outside the top-10 and thus convey their pick to the Bulls. It should be noted that the right to swap comes after the Draft Lottery is conducted, meaning that if the Kings were to finish with a better record (and therefore a less favorable pick) than the Sixers, they could still jump ahead of Philadelphia via the lottery. In that case, Philadelphia would choose to swap picks with Sacramento.

What this means is that if the Kings miss the playoffs in either of the next two seasons, Philadelphia will essentially receive Sacramento’s ping pong balls going into the lottery. There is no protection on the swap.
I have a question on this. If we finish below 10th in the lotto next year and give the pick to the bulls, do the sixers get the 2018, totally unprotected? Or does the one year top 10 protection apply and the 2019 would be unprotected?

I'm confused by the "kings convey their pick 2 years after the bulls pick but the Philly pick is protected for one year" thing.

I have a question on this. If we finish below 10th in the lotto next year and give the pick to the bulls, do the sixers get the 2018, totally unprotected? Or does the one year top 10 protection apply and the 2019 would be unprotected?

I'm confused by the "kings convey their pick 2 years after the bulls pick but the Philly pick is protected for one year" thing.
I'm sure Capt will be along momentarily to show me where I'm wrong but I believe the 2018 pick is top 10 protected regardless and if not conveyed that year becomes unprotected in 2019.

Essentially it shakes out like this:

If the Kings finish outside of the bottom ten either in 2016 or 2017 then the Bulls will get their pick. In the year that the Bulls get the pick the Sixers won't have the option to swap picks since it goes to Chicago. In the other year they will have the option to swap picks. Then in 2018 they get the Kings pick unless they are in the bottom 10 again.

If somehow the Kings finished in the bottom 10 both of the next two years then the Bulls would NOT get a pick from Sacramento and the Sixers would have the option to swap picks both years. Then in 2018 the Sixers would get the Kings first rounder (top 10 protected) and the Bulls would get their 2nd rounder.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm sure Capt will be along momentarily to show me where I'm wrong but I believe the 2018 pick is top 10 protected regardless and if not conveyed that year becomes unprotected in 2019.

Essentially it shakes out like this:

If the Kings finish outside of the bottom ten either in 2016 or 2017 then the Bulls will get their pick. In the year that the Bulls get the pick the Sixers won't have the option to swap picks since it goes to Chicago. In the other year they will have the option to swap picks. Then in 2018 they get the Kings pick unless they are in the bottom 10 again.

If somehow the Kings finished in the bottom 10 both of the next two years then the Bulls would NOT get a pick from Sacramento and the Sixers would have the option to swap picks both years. Then in 2018 the Sixers would get the Kings first rounder (top 10 protected) and the Bulls would get their 2nd rounder.
Darn it. I wanted to do something clever where I said that everything that was wrong was in boldface above and then there was nothing in boldface...but...

OK, there are actually two clarifications here.

First (and easiest), the Bulls will get our 2017 second rounder (56-60 protected, as we've already promised that portion to CLE via BOS) if we do not end up giving them a first rounder in either 2016 or 2017, not our 2018 second rounder.

Second, the 2018 pick IS top-10 protected, but it is only in play if we end up sending the 2016 first rounder to Chicago. Otherwise, we could potentially send both our 2017 (to CHI) and 2018 (to PHI) picks, and that would violate the Stepien Rule. If we do not send the 2016 pick to Chicago, the 2018 pick remains ours. Technically, we could probably have even further qualified the 2018 pick by saying that if we did not convey a first rounder to the Bulls in either 2016 or 2017, then the 2018 pick would return to being in play (that would not violate the Stepien Rule), but it does not appear from reports that we did so.

The way I understand it:
if we give the Bulls the pick in 2016 (the pick is top 10 protected) than we will send the 2018 top-ten protected and 2019 unprotected.
if we keep our pick this year (having a top 10 pick) but give it away in 2017 (being outside the top 10) than it will be top=ten protecetd in 2019 and unprotected in 2020.

That is mainly because the deal as i understand it was done in relation to the Bulls deal, from the original post you quoted:
The Sixers will receive Sacramento’s first-round pick either two years after the Kings’ first-round debt to the Bulls is paid (in case we keep our pick next year. and lose it in 2017 we will give the sixers the 2019 first rounder top 10 protected or 2020 unprotected because of the Stepien rule).

The way I understand it:
if we give the Bulls the pick in 2016 (the pick is top 10 protected) than we will send the 2018 top-ten protected and 2019 unprotected.
if we keep our pick this year (having a top 10 pick) but give it away in 2017 (being outside the top 10) than it will be top=ten protecetd in 2019 and unprotected in 2020.

That is mainly because the deal as i understand it was done in relation to the Bulls deal, from the original post you quoted:
There is 1 pick going to the Bulls and 1 going to the 76ers. Then the possibility of 2 pick swaps with the 6ers. Remember the Pick going to the Bulls was done by Petrie. I believe the Capt. has the details correct 3 posts above.

There is 1 pick going to the Bulls and 1 going to the 76ers. Then the possibility of 2 pick swaps with the 6ers. Remember the Pick going to the Bulls was done by Petrie. I believe the Capt. has the details correct 3 posts above.
The details by Capt were correct, but what I wrote was to answer sdballer question.

Regarding the first rounders (swaps aside)- we owe one to the Bulls and one to the 76ers and there is a relation of them because of league rules:

In case the our pick doesn't fall into the protection this year (meaning the Bulls gets it) OR it falls in the protection both this year and next year- than we are giving a top-10 protected first rounder to the 76ers in 2018 and if it doesn't convey an unprotected pick in 2019.

In case our pick does fall into the protection this year AND doesn't next year- than we are giving a top-10 protected first rounder in 2019 and if it doesn't convey an unprotected pick in 2020.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In case our pick does fall into the protection this year AND doesn't next year- than we are giving a top-10 protected first rounder in 2019 and if it doesn't convey an unprotected pick in 2020.
That is not the way that the deal has been reported. The report is that if our pick is not conveyed to Chicago this year, Philly loses the opportunity to get the protected 2018 pick (that is, 2018 is ours no matter what) and they get 2019, unprotected. No 2020 involved, that pick is ours.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
That is not the way that the deal has been reported. The report is that if our pick is not conveyed to Chicago this year, Philly loses the opportunity to get the protected 2018 pick (that is, 2018 is ours no matter what) and they get 2019, unprotected. No 2020 involved, that pick is ours.
Woohoo! 2020 is all OURS baby!

How ya like them apples suckas!!! :p

I based my original comments on some reports... but reading more into it I think you are right about it, in the report (Philly media) it was said that the arrangement is the first year top 10 protected and the 2nd year unprotected- and in that case it can take you all the way to 2020.

But from more recent report it seems like 2019 is unprotected no matter what (which is way worse in my mind)... so I stand corrected.