Kings Trade Down Poll?

Should the Kings Org trade down #4 for Multiple Picks?

• No, they should assess their top 4 players and take the one that comes up (a traditional pick)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • No, a 4th pick should in theory have greater potential

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No, keep it simple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they have one player in mind they're confident will be there at 4th.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Yes, the top picks don't look as clear cut this year

• Yes, they have 2 prospects in mind and think the trade-down might be executable

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes, the draft is statistical in nature, so better to have more 'horses in the race'.

• Yes, they have 3 prospects in mind including a later round one that they're confident about

• Total voters
Largely depends on what McNair is seeing.

My keep it simple vote is simply don't try to get get cute. I doubt McNair will do that, get too cute that is.

And that goes in line with my vote they have one in mind that they think will be there at four.

Now if they are confident that they can trade down, get additional assets and still get a player they covet, go get the additional assets BUT don't get cute.

It all just depends on who gets taken in the top 3 and what the trade options are. Can they stay in the top 10 and pick up a good player by trading back? I'd do it if none of the top 3 "locks" fall because I don't have 4-8 being all that different projection wise.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It's very situational to me. I'd definitely have Detroit and Indy on speed dial for the 5 minutes after pick 3 is announced. But I wouldn't do anything crazier than a swap and a future pick or a player that can crack an 8 man rotation.

I would also consider making the same type of trade (one player or a future first, preferably 2024) to move up to grab Smith and only Smith.

My choice isn’t available. Wait till draft day. If Banchero is there at 4, take him. If he’s not, trade down and grab two of the following: Daniels, Mathurin, or Dieng.

Round 2: Mathew Mayer, Peyton Watson, Dalen Terry, Jaylin Williams.

My choice isn’t available. Wait till draft day. If Banchero is there at 4, take him. If he’s not, trade down and grab two of the following: Daniels, Mathurin, or Dieng.
I think Charlotte is the only team that has multiple picks at 13 and 15. You'd probably be looking at 2 or 3 of Dieng, Daniels, Eason, Sochan, Duren and Agbaji remaining left.

I think Charlotte is the only team that has multiple picks at 13 and 15. You'd probably be looking at 2 or 3 of Dieng, Daniels, Eason, Sochan, Duren and Agbaji remaining left.
Yea, likely would require multiple trades. Maybe down to 7/8/9. Get future assets. Then use those future assets to trade back into the late lottery to get whoever remains of the three—likely Okc at #12 given the number of firsts that Okc has.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
They're not the only team with multiple picks, although they might be the most intriguing.

The Thunder have three picks: 2nd, 12th, and the 30th

The Spurs have three picks: 9th, 20th, and the 25th

The Rockets have two picks: 3rd, and the 17th

The Grizzlies have two picks: 22nd and the 29th

I'm not against trading down, but like most people, I have to know what I'm trading down for.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I wonder what the odds and cost of trading up for Smith will be once we're on the clock vs. a pre-arranged deal.

It's very situational to me. I'd definitely have Detroit and Indy on speed dial for the 5 minutes after pick 3 is announced. But I wouldn't do anything crazier than a swap and a future pick or a player that can crack an 8 man rotation.

I would also consider making the same type of trade (one player or a future first, preferably 2024) to move up to grab Smith and only Smith.
Pretty much what I think.
Sac seems always linked to Grant but that doesn’t mean he’s on Monte’s radar. If it is a simple trade of one draft spot with Detroit and an established player swap, that makes sense I would think at least for us. Detroit might not see moving up one spot that valuable.
Also, if possible to trade up for Smith do it.

Last edited:
They're not the only team with multiple picks, although they might be the most intriguing.

I'm not against trading down, but like most people, I have to know what I'm trading down for.
This. Just trading down for multiple whacks involves so many variables once you get as deep as 20 and beyond. If Monte traded down for someone specific and he's targeting that player then he obviously would feel that player is every bit the talent as anyone they'd get in the lottery.

Yeah I didn't include the Thunder or Rockets because we would have to either give up Fox/Sabonis/Davion/HB/future FRP to move up and I figured anything beyond the 16th pick or so has you picking from guys that are longshots to become good players.

Ideally the trade would just be our #4 pick for a solid player + a lottery pick. I think a team would have to be in love with Ivey or one of the other players mocked around our pick to make it happen. Would also involve Monte really liking a couple players mocked around the other team's lottery pick.

Probably not going to happen but I'm all about compounding assets over swapping out one valuable asset for another valuable asset.