Kings trade 49th pick for rights to Sasha Vezenkov

It seems we really want a back-up pf. Wonder if they actually have a deal in-place for Barnes.

Looking around there aren't many sf options. . .
Barnes+Holmes $29.5 for Gordon Hayward $30.0???

Starters
Fox Huerter Hayward Murray Sabonis

Bench
Davion Monk TD Vezenkov Queta
I'd want another asset of some sort back with Hayward (maybe 2?), but I don't think this is the worst idea. Hayward is on that same 2-year timeline contract wise as Sabonis/Monk and if he somehow stays healthy, he is an upgrade over Barnes. Would def be super super risky.

I'd want another asset of some sort back with Hayward (maybe 2?), but I don't think this is the worst idea. Hayward is on that same 2-year timeline contract wise as Sabonis/Monk and if he somehow stays healthy, he is an upgrade over Barnes. Would def be super super risky.
I’d take Jalen McDaniels in that trade from them as well. He won’t see minutes at all if they’re getting Barnes with the roster they already have. On the last year of his deal for pennies. Could back up the 3 and 4.

I’d take Jalen McDaniels in that trade from them as well. He won’t see minutes at all if they’re getting Barnes with the roster they already have. On the last year of his deal for pennies. Could back up the 3 and 4.
Good call. Didn't get a chance to watch him, but the numbers look pretty good. Looks like he made a solid leap last season. Great tools, fits perfectly as that 3/4 flex we're looking for, has upside.

Not sure if he's enough, but him+a Lotto-protected FRP seems reasonable.

Oh no... That would be sooo bad.. I hope that a team trying to make the playoffs doesnt need to bank on overpaid and perpetually injured Gordon Hayward..

The Miles Bridges beating his wife up situation makes all moves involving Charlotte murky... He's got a court date on the 20th but the deadline for them to pull his Q/O is the 13th (2 days from now).. I think everything has come to a screeching halt for the Hornets til they get a lil more clarity.. Heard a report that says they arent expected to go thru with pulling his Q/O.. What a crapty situation..

Last edited:
So Ham suggested that we could sign him for a 3 or 4 year deal on the minimum that would far exceed his current deal, I did not realize the jump year 2 salary takes.

Experience 0 years
2022/23 2023/24 2024/25 2025/26
$1,017,781 $1,719,864 $2,019,699 $2,187,451

6,944,795 in total salary is much more that he would get staying in Europe. I don't know if you can do a P/O for year 3 to make it more attractive. I think he would be a RFA after that too.

Seems like a no brainer for both sides TBH.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So Ham suggested that we could sign him for a 3 or 4 year deal on the minimum that would far exceed his current deal, I did not realize the jump year 2 salary takes.

Experience 0 years

6,944,795 in total salary is much more that he would get staying in Europe. I don't know if you can do a P/O for year 3 to make it more attractive. I think he would be a RFA after that too.

I don't know. It seems that the problem to me is the difference between how salaries are reported in Euroleague (post-tax) and the NBA (pre-tax). I'm not sure exactly how taxes work for foreign players earning money in the US, but you gotta figure you knock that 4/$7M deal down to 4/$4M take-home, and all of a sudden it's not much different than the ~$900K (post-tax) he's getting the next two years (plus then potentially two years at a higher salary...plus there are rumors that Olympiacos might be willing to renegotiate now that he won MVP). Honestly, that kind of looks like a bad deal to me, particularly if he's not super keen on coming to the U.S.

Obviously the BAE is an entirely different story, and could probably go a long way towards "beating" any contract he's likely to get in Europe. I've seen rumors that have suggested we aren't keen on spending the BAE because it would "hard cap" us at the apron, but that doesn't really make any sense to me. The apron is at like $157M, about $30M past where we are now, and I don't see any plausible way for us to get there this year anyway. (It's not like we're going to drop $20M or something on Lamb, and with limits in how much you can get back from trades, we'd basically have to trade away our entire roster. We just can't get there.) BAE is only two years, but he could come away with a deal that is a bit north of 2/$8M before taxes, and so a post-tax 2/$5M (plus early bird rights) is way better than 4/$4M.

That's the deal that seems like a no-brainer to me. And it's the best we can offer. He can't push us up from there, and it's a fine price for a reigning Greek League MVP in his prime that you intend as a rotation player. We ought to offer it, and hope he accepts. Apron? That's nonsense.

Experience 0 years

Most the time with the Euro ballers it's about playing time not money, that's why so many of the better Euroleague guys who could play a role easily in the NBA never come over or come over to late. Money is great but imo actually doing what you love is far better rather than watching it.

I don't think money is the primary issue if he got paid the same in both leagues and got the same/similar playing time and touches he would come to the NBA

But but but, our board insiders, who judge every move instantaneously, and always in the worst possible light, said this was just selling a second round draft pick for cash, that we had never heard of this guy, and that there was no way he’d come over. There was no way this was part of a plan to acquire a guy we liked.

Turns out we really wanted the guy. Sasha said we had scouts at his games earlier this year and now it looks like there is real momentum to bring him. It looks like Monte had a plan after all, and he is probably bringing in a much better player than who we would have picked at 49. That is going to hurt the “narrative” some are trying to spin. Maybe, just maybe, Monte is a better GM than some want to admit…
But but but, our board insiders, who judge every move instantaneously, and always in the worst possible light, said this was just selling a second round draft pick for cash, that we had never heard of this guy, and that there was no way he’d come over. There was no way this was part of a plan to acquire a guy we liked.

Turns out we really wanted the guy. Sasha said we had scouts at his games earlier this year and now it looks like there is real momentum to bring him. It looks like Monte had a plan after all, and he is probably bringing in a much better player than who we would have picked at 49. That is going to hurt the “narrative” some are trying to spin. Maybe, just maybe, Monte is a better GM than some want to admit…
Because Monte has so many wins as Kings GM...30 and 31-to be included in the lowest quarter on NBA teams. Oh, Monte's great. Give him an extension.

SELLING PICKS AGAIN...IT'S ABOUT THE MONEY HERE.
Has Monte hit on a second round pick? Seeing that he has not...he sold this 2nd pick for 1.75 mil...pretty simple and a player not likely to make any noticeable improvement to an NBA roster, if he should make the roster at all. Yes, 2nd round picks do have value =1.75 mil.
Incorrect. And the failure to see this trade for what it is, 1.75 mil in cash, is a characteristic of wishful but naive fans. Are you thinking, Cleveland paid 1.75 million, to rid themselves of this impactful NBA player?
Just calling this trade for what it is.. the Kings sold the pick for money. That's all.
I mean, you were correct on this one from the beginning... LOL. I actually thought a bunch of people had incorrectly made the knee jerk reaction (within the first hour after the news broke) that Monte was selling the pick, but when I just went back and looked at the thread it turns out it was just you, posting it OVER and OVER. Lesson learned- if you don't look closely at the identity of the poster you can think there is a "consensus" on the board, when it is really just one drunk uncle who finally found a platform to keep making his one tired point over and over.

Because Monte has so many wins as Kings GM...30 and 31-to be included in the lowest quarter on NBA teams. Oh, Monte's great. Give him an extension.
My point was never how many wins Monte had. It was that you came on here in the first 10 minutes after the trade, with no information, and declared WITH AUTHORITY and repeatedly, that it was just a cash grab. Other posters (myself included) urged some patience because Sasha looked intriguing and may be part of the plan. So my point wasn't that Monte was a genius GM of the year; it was merely that he wasn't the goofy, incompetent huckster you were portraying him to be. He clearly had a plan with Sasha. It may or may not work out, but the guy had a plan. He isn't an idiot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean, you were correct on this one from the beginning... LOL. I actually thought a bunch of people had incorrectly made the knee jerk reaction (within the first hour after the news broke) that Monte was selling the pick, but when I just went back and looked at the thread it turns out it was just you, posting it OVER and OVER. Lesson learned- if you don't look closely at the identity of the poster you can think there is a "consensus" on the board, when it is really just one drunk uncle who finally found a platform to keep making his one tired point over and over.
Don’t even need to click unignore to know who you’re talking about.

the whole “we sold the 49th pick for nothing” narrative was bad from the second Monte gushed about Sasha at the press conference and only got dumber from there as every single report indicated that Monte was trying to get him to come over. But people can believe whatever dumb narrative they want to believe.

Show me the wins brother?

slaying another straw man. Good work.

The argument in this thread was always about whether Monte sold the pick. You were wrong. We can talk about how many wins Monte has in literally any other thread.
Don’t even need to click unignore to know who you’re talking about.

the whole “we sold the 49th pick for nothing” narrative was bad from the second Monte gushed about Sasha at the press conference and only got dumber from there as every single report indicated that Monte was trying to get him to come over. But people can believe whatever dumb narrative they want to believe.
No, we sold the pick for 1.75 million.

And I stand by my earlier statements.

Has Monte hit on a second round pick? Seeing that he has not...he sold this 2nd pick for 1.75 mil...pretty simple and a player not likely to make any noticeable improvement to an NBA roster, if he should make the roster at all. Yes, 2nd round picks do have value =1.75 mil.

Incorrect. And the failure to see this trade for what it is, 1.75 mil in cash, is a characteristic of wishful but naive fans. Are you thinking, Cleveland paid 1.75 million, to rid themselves of this impactful NBA player?

I suspect about 3 years ago you were drinking the same Kool-aid when pushing for the Vlade extention. Kings are still paying Vlade, Luke and Gentry too.

I truly hope the Kings have the right players to win this year. As far as the last 2 years go with Monte as GM, just look at the record, which is uninspiring. You don't suggest that our record was good the last two years, with Monte as GM?

Last edited:

I suspect about 3 years ago you were drinking the same Kool-aid when pushing for the Vlade extention. Kings are still paying Vlade, Luke and Gentry too.

I truly hope the Kings have the right players to win this year. As far as the last 2 years go with Monte as GM, just look at the record, which is uninspiring. You don't suggest that our record was good the last two years, with Monte as GM?
Trading a second round pick for an established Euro star who you are hoping will come over isn’t selling the pick. He is likely better than almost anyone who would have been available at 49 (though I am sure there will be 1 or 2 guys who pop). If you can’t see that then we have nothing to discuss. See ya

Jillian Adge
@JillAdge
--- Sunday July 10

"A Kings delegation from the United States is expected in Athens in the coming days for final discussions"

So has the plane left Vegas yet?

Throw the full BAE at him and promise the Backup PF slot behind Murray
Trade Holmes for a SF

Guards: Fox,Mitchell,Monk,Huerter,TD
SF:Barnes,(Holmes Trade),Ellis
PF: Murray,Sasha,Lyles
C: Sabonis,Metu,Queta,Len

Plus 1 Vet Min - PG or SF makes 16 spots

from Twitter, "Sasha Vezenkov will stay at Olympiacos BC for the 2022-23 season. The Kings decided to sign Chima Moneke, the MVP of 2021-22 Basketball Champions League w/ Manresa. Smart move with a high-energy guy. Moneke can fit at Kings style of play. "

The trade was for a player plus cash. You can can argue the semantics of it all you want but in writing it was traded for two components. It ended up being only cash for this year ( we shall see next year) but the trade was for both. We also signed Keon Ellis ( essentially a second round pick) to a 2 way deal without using a 2nd round pick. Additional shocker our second round pick last year is starting to look nice. We additionally traded a second rounder for 2 more. All in all I believe the following (which I hope most of us do as well) : McNair knows a lot more about basketball than we do. If he views more value at 49 in a foreign player I trust him. Monte has drafted 3 great picks in the first round his first 3 years on the job. I know it’s hard to fathom but we aren’t dealing with Vlade and it’s starting to look like a cohesive product.

The trade was for a player plus cash. You can can argue the semantics of it all you want but in writing it was traded for two components. It ended up being only cash for this year ( we shall see next year) but the trade was for both. We also signed Keon Ellis ( essentially a second round pick) to a 2 way deal without using a 2nd round pick. Additional shocker our second round pick last year is starting to look nice. We additionally traded a second rounder for 2 more. All in all I believe the following (which I hope most of us do as well) : McNair knows a lot more about basketball than we do. If he views more value at 49 in a foreign player I trust him. Monte has drafted 3 great picks in the first round his first 3 years on the job. I know it’s hard to fathom but we aren’t dealing with Vlade and it’s starting to look like a cohesive product.
We had what is hopefully our highest second round pick for quite some time, in a draft that still had a handful of solid players still available by most consensus. That pick was traded for a couple of what will more than likely be picks in the 50s, which are nearly worthless when you look at the amount of rotation players that are picked that low.

You can say McNair knows a lot more about basketball than we do but so does Vlade.

I'm happy with his first round picks but there's simply no excuse to waste a high 2nd round pick like that. That cash does not win any basketball games.

We had what is hopefully our highest second round pick for quite some time, in a draft that still had a handful of solid players still available by most consensus. That pick was traded for a couple of what will more than likely be picks in the 50s, which are nearly worthless when you look at the amount of rotation players that are picked that low.

You can say McNair knows a lot more about basketball than we do but so does Vlade.

I'm happy with his first round picks but there's simply no excuse to waste a high 2nd round pick like that. That cash does not win any basketball games.
I approve of this message

And even after all the dust settles and Brown got his 2 development guys on the team (Moneke, KZ) we STILL have a roster spot open that could have been used for 37. No one would have cared if we drafted Keon at 37, especially after his SL, but we were able to get him in UDFA... so why not get Keon AND another useful young player?

Unfortunately, I think it's just Vivek being a cheapo owner and taking the cash rather than the upside swing. We'll see if Vezenkov comes over next season, but would make this 2nd round especially awful if he doesn't.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
And even after all the dust settles and Brown got his 2 development guys on the team (Moneke, KZ) we STILL have a roster spot open that could have been used for 37. No one would have cared if we drafted Keon at 37, especially after his SL, but we were able to get him in UDFA... so why not get Keon AND another useful young player?

Unfortunately, I think it's just Vivek being a cheapo owner and taking the cash rather than the upside swing. We'll see if Vezenkov comes over next season, but would make this 2nd round especially awful if he doesn't.
But then we'd have had to give a guaranteed spot to a 2nd round pick and I don't really like that. I honestly don't think this is a Vivek thing as much as it is a philosophical thing with Monte rather getting more experienced value guys than trying to develop more than 2 second round level guys at one time. Vlade over acquired them imho, one a year is more than enough.