[Game] Kings @ Suns, Wednesday, October 23rd - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is a bigger De'Aaron Fox fan than me. I've been on that dude since HS. That's why I'm disappointed when he doesn't have a good game. I think Buddy making those shots is the reason why the Kings had a lead at half-time. Fox wasn't impacting the game defensively like he usually does (he had a couple of near steals though), he got outscored by a PG who's notorious for his inability to score, and he had 5 TO against 5 assists. That's a bad game. Some of it was foul trouble but the bulk of the problem was that he wasn't pushing the pace like he did last season. Fox is capable of pushing the accelerator so hard that the other team can't catch a breather. I saw none of that from him tonight. For one thing, too many guys were freelancing or bringing the ball up themselves and looking to create. When Fox did have the ball he looked like he was waiting for guys to get to their spots. If that's our gameplan, we're already hosed.

There are aspects about Fox's game that I'm worried about. He's gotten bigger. It's noticeable.

But he's not using that added bulk yet on offense. Still trying to out quick, out fast players. Rather than using that bulk in combination to his natural speed advantage. For example, rather than dropping a shoulder into an opponent and then exploding out to a spot, he's still trying to get to a spot on pure speed alone.

His shot (mid range and 3) still look a bit clunky. Not so much in the shot itself, but in when he chooses to use it. Not smooth. Still early. We'll see.

The reason the Kings were winning and playing the way they were was because of Fox. He out SO much pressure on the defense Buddy was just out there firing. As was Barnes. Once Fox went out with foul trouble and Cojo stepped in they started having to okay half court which they are NOT ready to do.

The whole game flipped after Fox went out. Rewatch it if you dont understand.

And as far as your love affair with Doncic just stop it. Compare him to Fox all you want because that is what the sacrifice would have been. You draft Doncic you trade Fox and rebuild around Doncics play style. You cant meld the 2, two different speeds.
I bought into this argument about Luka all of last year. But, that presumed that Marvin would not suck. The way Marvin is going, that draft pick looks like a mortal sin. What if Vlade had listened to Joerger and drafted the good player?? We’ll never know because now we have his complacent chucklehead Laker crony Luke, and the complacent beanpole Marvin instead

dude12

Hall of Famer
The Kings are soft. The Kings have been soft going back many years. The Kings had 2 head coaches who were absolutely not soft in Malone and Joerger, so they of course fire them after we Start seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Enter Walton who by all appearances is not tough......I’d like for him to prove that statement wrong.

That was brutal. Hopefully a stinker like that will help them get serious. It all comes down to toughness with this team. When the other team starts attacking the rim - the Kings need to respond with some fire.

I forsee the ball movement in the starting 5 being a problem. Too many average/below average passers (Bagley, Barnes, Buddy, Dedmon).
If Fox isn't dropping dimes they're in trouble.

I'd like to see Giles, Bjelica or Bogi inserted into that lineup. Preferably Giles when he comes back.

New coach + new system + new players. If they play like this all year, then all the hyperbole in this thread is justified. Maybe they could take a mulligan and start the 81-game season on Friday.

I forsee the ball movement in the starting 5 being a problem. Too many average/below average passers (Bagley, Barnes, Buddy, Dedmon).
If Fox isn't dropping dimes they're in trouble.

I'd like to see Giles, Bjelica or Bogi inserted into that lineup. Preferably Giles when he comes back.
Bags, Fox, and Buddy are all 15+ shot guys, and Barnes is good for 12+ too. But we all know Bagley and his camp feel a certain way about coming off the hench, even if his minutes remain the same 30+.

They really need to be staggered with early subs to keep a balance.
all the projections of Bagley's scoring isn't going to project from last year's per 36 since there's always 2 or 3 more efficient offensive players getting touches.

New coach + new system + new players. If they play like this all year, then all the hyperbole in this thread is justified. Maybe they could take a mulligan and start the 81-game season on Friday.
Personally, if we are going to lose to the freaking Phoenix Suns, I prefer that the fellas got embarrassed like they did last night.

They need a wake up call and I hope they got one last night.

New coach, new system, new players? Nobody is going to cut you a break in the NBA!

You come to play every night in the NBA or you're going to get embarrassed, period!

Bags, Fox, and Buddy are all 15+ shot guys, and Barnes is good for 12+ too. But we all know Bagley and his camp feel a certain way about coming off the hench, even if his minutes remain the same 30+.

They really need to be staggered with early subs to keep a balance.
all the projections of Bagley's scoring isn't going to project from last year's per 36 since there's always 2 or 3 more efficient offensive players getting touches.
No doubt, they absolutely need to be staggered. I wonder if moving Hield back to the bench would be best? Bogi might stop trying to be Kobe if he starts.

Personally, if we are going to lose to the freaking Phoenix Suns, I prefer that the fellas got embarrassed like they did last night.

They need a wake up call and I hope they got one last night.

New coach, new system, new players? Nobody is going to cut you a break in the NBA!

You come to play every night in the NBA or you're going to get embarrassed, period!
I agree that they sucked last night. Of course nobody is going to cut you a break. Duh. Yes the season is doomed if they don't play better. Duh.

My point is that you can't break out the SportsCenter bombast after one game, and IMO, there's way too much of that in this thread.

I agree that they sucked last night. Of course nobody is going to cut you a break. Duh. Yes the season is doomed if they don't play better. Duh.

My point is that you can't break out the SportsCenter bombast after one game, and IMO, there's way too much of that in this thread.
I think the Kings problem at the end of last year and to start this season was that they had no sense of urgency.

It seemed as though they thought they could just run other teams off the court by just showing up. That is obviously not the case and the Kings need to learn and learn quickly that they need to bring their "A" game each and every night.

The Kings got off to a slow start last year too, so there is plenty of time to right the ship.

I just hope the Kings don't continue this season like they ended the season last year with lackadaisical play being the new norm with this team.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Why was Bogs used as a point guard again? It takes him too long to get the ball up the floor under pressure; he dribbles too much with the ball; too much hero ball; not enough passing. Just one of zillion observations on this horrid game.

There was too much iso. Also too many long 2s. It’s just an inefficient shot and we should wipe that out of our playbook. Offense incoherent, as mentioned above. But I will withhold judgment for a while. But not too long. If we are serious about playoffs, every win counts in this brutal western conference.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
There was too much iso. Also too many long 2s. It’s just an inefficient shot and we should wipe that out of our playbook. Offense incoherent, as mentioned above. But I will withhold judgment for a while. But not too long. If we are serious about playoffs, every win counts in this brutal western conference.
Couldn't agree more with this. Also, it's as if they had not read a scouting report or had any idea of what the Suns were going to do on offense. Example: Guarding Rubio at times on the perimeter like he was Curry.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We had three plays last night:
1) Iso
2) Drive into two defenders
3) Find creative ways to turn the ball over

On the bright side, either we're going to get a lot better, or I'm going to have a lot of free time this winter to get to all those books I haven't read!

So are people here still pretending picking Bagley over Doncic wasn't awful? Bagley can get numbers but I'm not convinced he isn't a Julius Randle type that doesn't effect winning. Doncic on the other hand could be a top 10-15 player within the next season or two. Luka, Fox, Buddy would be a legit big three.
Lmao are we really doing this after one game? Julius freaking Randle? He’s already better than the guy

The reason the Kings were winning and playing the way they were was because of Fox. He out SO much pressure on the defense Buddy was just out there firing. As was Barnes. Once Fox went out with foul trouble and Cojo stepped in they started having to okay half court which they are NOT ready to do.

The whole game flipped after Fox went out. Rewatch it if you dont understand.

And as far as your love affair with Doncic just stop it. Compare him to Fox all you want because that is what the sacrifice would have been. You draft Doncic you trade Fox and rebuild around Doncics play style. You cant meld the 2, two different speeds.
Period.

Here’s my biggest issue with last nights game. I watched every minute and I can’t tell you what sorta offense we run. It was incoherent.
They ran a lot of pick and roll in the first half which was good. The problem is who they ran pick and roll through. Instead of having Dedmon space or pop out, they had him crash the rim and sit in the paint. The Kings left very tight passing lanes open and ignored more than a few wide open 3's. Their identity can't be some Harlem Globetrotter team that passes from every position unless they are playing small and even then it's not who they are. They need spacing for their best players and to use their spot shooters (Ariza, Bjelica, DEDMON, and Joseph.) effectively. There was way too much decision making being placed in those players' hands. The offense is exactly this: Fox, Buddy, Bagley with Barnes and Bogi next up. Period. The rest of the roster simply has to play D, spread the floor, and be prepared to shoot when those other players see them.

If they play like this 20-25 games into the year, the front office will likely be turned over to Dumars and the coaching chair to Kokoskov and the hyperbole will be justified. And you're exactly right. That's how they have to look at it. Take it on the chin, either come back down to earth or let the pressure go depending on whether or not what we saw was too much confidence or a lack thereof, and move on.

I can't believe this crap from Bogi. Has a sterling FIBA and a preseason where it seems he may be back to his rookie self, and what's he do in the first game? It's right back to the shoot first, second, and third chucker from last year.

Theoretically, this second unit shouldn't have any problems with offense with Bogi leading the way. But if he's going to keep up with this nonsense, then the entire unit is just going to break down. Inject Giles into the second unit and have him run the offense because I have no faith in Bogdanovic.

(Luka Watch: 34/9/8 and a W)
The Luka regret is real here.

Status
Not open for further replies.