KINGS! Summer League in Vegas! GM 1 7/7/17

SLAB

Hall of Famer
At least Fox and Jackson looked good. Cooley was a fun surprise. I expect more from everyone else, especially every single second year guy. Sad Giles didn't play... hopefully he gets a little run before SL is over.

Though remember Willie's abysmal SL last season? Maybe our SL vets just bust in Vegas.

Really though? No matter what happens here the rest of the way; it matters very very little. I just want it to be October. :p

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
?
Yes.

Come on man. It was the end of a lost season, the sets didn't look anything like they did earlier in the year. Teams didn't have to game plan for us. Ultimately, things like holding on to the ball, receiving an entry pass, or properly boxing out have NOTHING to do with plays or pace. Papa laid an egg tonight, when he could have showed the small things. Phoenix doesn't even have a front court that would give him trouble in these areas. Positioning is instinctive. He didn't show me that tonight. Maybe he'll do better next time.

The Suns 2nd round pick shoots better than Buddy Heild. The Suns shot how many free throws? Fox looked great and Justin Jackson looked good. Cooley can rebound. Otherwise just one SL game. Next

?
Yes.

Come on man. It was the end of a lost season, the sets didn't look anything like they did earlier in the year. Teams didn't have to game plan for us. Ultimately, things like holding on to the ball, receiving an entry pass, or properly boxing out have NOTHING to do with plays or pace. Papa laid an egg tonight, when he could have showed the small things. Phoenix doesn't even have a front court that would give him trouble in these areas. Positioning is instinctive. He didn't show me that tonight. Maybe he'll do better next time.
He could have played better.

It's also essentially a pickup game and a showcase for the scrubs to try to get a contract. No team ball whatsoever.

Papa - D
Skal - C
Richardson - C+
Hield - C
Fox - A
Cooley - B+
Mason - C-
Jackson - A

I think Cooley deserves a camp invite. Papa still has a long ways to go. I know it's SL, but I wish Skal was more aggressive. WCS syndrome last year. Hield needs to play team ball, it's summer league, he'll shoot plenty during the season.

Jackson and Fox were great, both will play if this game translates.

I'm straight up most disappointed in Papa this game. He played a ton of minutes..and he's the biggest dude out there. How bout some rebounds? Then when he finally does get one.. instead of securing it, he hangs it out there for a second looking around, and somebody steals it.. ugg.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm straight up most disappointed in Papa this game. He played a ton of minutes..and he's the biggest dude out there. How bout some rebounds? Then when he finally does get one.. instead of securing it, he hangs it out there for a second looking around, and somebody steals it.. ugg.
I mean, it's not as if he didn't go in there and not make an effort to rebound, it's just the players that are quicker and more athletic got the loose ball. He can't do anything about that really. The game is still too fast for him. The best thing he can learn along the way is to box his man out so his teammates can snag the board. I've seen instances where did just that last season.

Definitely LOVING Fox so far. The kid is going to be good... Skal is Skal, serviceable big. Hield sure did miss a lot tonight, but I am not worried. Wish Mason played better. Did not like what I saw from Papa. Jackson is skinny!!!!! But that floater for one of his first baskets was amazing to watch. I might eat crow if Jackson turns out to be a good player. I don't think he has it in him.

We have 8 roster guys there. I don't think our case in particular is for scrubs to get a contract.
You are being intentionally obtuse.

All summer league games are almost 100% without structure and there are players on both sides that are gunning for a contract.

Also, Papa could have played better.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Papa has been getting plenty of touches but just not doing much, Skal on the other hand looks completely passive. Where's the energy crashing the boards and so on that we were accustomed to seeing?
It is odd. He only got one rebound, which is very unlike Skal.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Definitely LOVING Fox so far. The kid is going to be good... Skal is Skal, serviceable big. Hield sure did miss a lot tonight, but I am not worried. Wish Mason played better. Did not like what I saw from Papa. Jackson is skinny!!!!! But that floater for one of his first baskets was amazing to watch. I might eat crow if Jackson turns out to be a good player. I don't think he has it in him.
Mason had plenty of good looks and shots that he can make, they just didn't go in. He plays under control though. He is a smart ball player, he's one of the ones I'm worried the least about.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
During the season, when Buddy feels like chucking, there is Temple or Bogdanovich or even a Fox/Hill backcourt to go to instead.
Buddy does have tunnel vision. The vets will put him in his place I hope. Either that or continue to encourage him to shoot, despite the brick house being built.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He's probably coasting until the regular season.
You never know. The last time WCS played in the summer league he looked freaking terrible. Maybe Skal is just worn out from all the weight training he's been doing recently in order to get ready for the regular season. Who knows?

Yes, Papa was putting in the effort. Just most of time running around with his head cut off. His posting up sucked. His rebounding sucked. His nose for the ball sucked. His boxing out sucked. His picks were soso. Fouling was only thing good at. lol. You could tell he was frustrated and starting to get chippy.