Kings still a draw for advertisers

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I liked that this part was included in the article:

Spokesman Rick Heron said the Kings offered a three-year contract, but Western Health is inclined to sign up for just two.

"It was a consideration that the ownership appears not to be as stable as one would want," Heron said. He said he believes the team still has solid fan support. "Unfortunately, Joe and Gavin, the Maloof family, make it tough. They test that loyalty."
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/26/4855269/kings-still-a-draw-for-advertisers.html#storylink=cpy

I read this article several days before the Kings announced their "new" sponsors:

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012...ng-major-sponsors-weeks-before-season-opener/

I found this except most noteworthy:

CBS13 has learned the Maloofs are only offering companies one-year sponsorship deals, no long-term commitments. As a result, some of the local companies who came together in a $10 million sponsorship pledge last year are also out.
The quote posted above from Rick Heron of Western Health contradicts what CBS and other companies are reporting. I'm more inclined to believe they're only offer 1 year deals for obvious reasons. They're tipping their hand, yet again .....

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm more inclined to believe they're only offer 1 year deals for obvious reasons. They're tipping their hand, yet again .....
And you can bet that during the relocation hearing this spring (yes, it will happen) when the Maloofs complain about corporate sponsorship again KJ will have a long list of advertisers who will have signed statements claiming support for multiple years which the Maloofs would not commit to.

I've been saying this for a while, but barring a miracle sale things will get much uglier before they can get better. We're down to:
1) Miracle sale
2) Maloofs file for relocation, are denied, bring antitrust lawsuit
3) Maloofs pack up and move without filing, league fights it, and it's all ugly any way it turns out

I suppose for completeness there are:
4) Maloofs sell to Hansen, Kings become Supersonics
5) Maloofs file for relocation, it is granted
But both of those seem quite unlikely right now given the NBA's efforts to keep basketball in Sacramento. I don't see relocation or sale to Hansen being approved, not this year, and not next year.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
And you can bet that during the relocation hearing this spring (yes, it will happen) when the Maloofs complain about corporate sponsorship again KJ will have a long list of advertisers who will have signed statements claiming support for multiple years which the Maloofs would not commit to.

I've been saying this for a while, but barring a miracle sale things will get much uglier before they can get better. We're down to:
1) Miracle sale
3) Maloofs pack up and move without filing, league fights it, and it's all ugly any way it turns out

But both of those seem quite unlikely right now given the NBA's efforts to keep basketball in Sacramento. I don't see relocation or sale to Hansen being approved, not this year, and not next year.
Out of curiosity, if the team did do a Cleveland Browns thing in the middle of the night, couldn't the league just remove them from the schedule unless they were in sacramento? There has to be recourse, of else why wouldn't any team just up and move without permission. Once again, I'd love to see all the bylaws.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Out of curiosity, if the team did do a Cleveland Browns thing in the middle of the night, couldn't the league just remove them from the schedule unless they were in sacramento? There has to be recourse, of else why wouldn't any team just up and move without permission. Once again, I'd love to see all the bylaws.
I don't think anybody knows, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if something like that were to happen. And you know who would be perhaps the most upset about it? The players, who wouldn't be getting any money.

Wait... don't you mean the Baltimore Colts moving in the middle of the night? ESPN had a documentary about it called "The Band that Wouldn't Die." It was part of their ESPN 30 for 30 series, which is now on Netflix streaming. On that note, I've often wondered if the Maloofs will pull something like that.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Wait... don't you mean the Baltimore Colts moving in the middle of the night? ESPN had a documentary about it called "The Band that Wouldn't Die." It was part of their ESPN 30 for 30 series, which is now on Netflix streaming. On that note, I've often wondered if the Maloofs will pull something like that.
Well, actually I was refering to the Cleveland Browns team that moved to Baltimore and changed its name to the Ravens, which was part of the deal that allowed them to move. But you could be right, it might have been the Colts that upped and move in the middle of the night. Of course that would have had to happen before the Browns moved there. There's been a lot of movement in Baltimore.

Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night. Cleveland Browns couldn't build a Stadium so they moved to Baltimore and turned into the Ravens. Then Cleveland decided to build a Stadium and they got an expansion team, which they just got to slap their old logos on and became the Browns again.

Didn't Al Davis move the Raiders without permission, fought the NFL in court for a few years and won?

Baltimore Colts moved to Indianapolis in the middle of the night. Cleveland Browns couldn't build a Stadium so they moved to Baltimore and turned into the Ravens. Then Cleveland decided to build a Stadium and they got an expansion team, which they just got to slap their old logos on and became the Browns again.

Didn't Al Davis move the Raiders without permission, fought the NFL in court for a few years and won?
Sterling did it with the Clippers, but was way craftier than our owners. Maloofs painted themselves into a corner by showing their hand. I think the most likely scenario would have been to file for relo, get denied, pack and move anyway and bring in the antitrust lawsuit. However, if they move to Anaheim they KNOW that no matter what the outcome of the process, there is going to be a HUGE ($150M?) relocation fee. Plus at the very minimum a hefty fine from the league for the unapproved move. They have no way around that, and it would break them, so it makes the pack-and-move-to-Anaheim scenario not very feasible.

They'll need a new location that would not incurr such a large fee (which is probably why they've been exploring other options). The Seattle deal is contingent on Hansen buying a team, so that's not an option. Maybe KC or Virginia Beach (lol)?

I think they're just going to bleed slowly and make us suffer until they have no other option but to sell... and that's when things will get UGLY, as there will be buyers wanting to keep the team here and buyers wanting to buy the team to move it, willing to pay a premium (Hansen?)

Sterling did it with the Clippers, but was way craftier than our owners. Maloofs painted themselves into a corner by showing their hand. I think the most likely scenario would have been to file for relo, get denied, pack and move anyway and bring in the antitrust lawsuit. However, if they move to Anaheim they KNOW that no matter what the outcome of the process, there is going to be a HUGE ($150M?) relocation fee. Plus at the very minimum a hefty fine from the league for the unapproved move. They have no way around that, and it would break them, so it makes the pack-and-move-to-Anaheim scenario not very feasible.

They'll need a new location that would not incurr such a large fee (which is probably why they've been exploring other options). The Seattle deal is contingent on Hansen buying a team, so that's not an option. Maybe KC or Virginia Beach (lol)?

I think they're just going to bleed slowly and make us suffer until they have no other option but to sell... and that's when things will get UGLY, as there will be buyers wanting to keep the team here and buyers wanting to buy the team to move it, willing to pay a premium (Hansen?)
If they move the bond with the city becomes due. They would need to pay the bond off before moving otherwise the city could go after the collateral that includes Kings shares. Also, if they try this and stay in California you can bet Steinberg and some others will be going after them in the legislature.

Correct and correct. The Colts move to Indianapolis was a middle of the night deal and a year earlier, it was Al Davis who got his way through litigation.

Sterling as well. The league actually blocked his move to L.A. and he turned around and sued them. The judge compromised and let him move but hit him with a $10 million relocation fee. Because of that, the league has toughened it's stance on relocation and that's why we see these long, drawn out processes. Had the new process not been put in place, the Maloofs most likely would've got away with their Anaheim stunt last year.

1) Miracle sale

Friend sent me this today. Sorry to say.

http://www.news10.net/sports/pro_ba...9/Seattle-could-be-targeting-Sacramento-Kings

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here's the deal, dude.

We have one real rule around here: Don't be a jerk. You're one step away from being declared a troll. This is KINGSFANS. It is a fan board dedicated to the Sacramento Kings for the benefit of Sacramento Kings fans. You've been given a lot of leeway but it stops now. You're more than welcome to start "thekingsaregonnamovetoseattle.com" where you can feel free to follow that train of thought. If we wanted someone to pee in our Wheaties, I'm pretty sure we could get one or more of our Laker fan members to do it for us.

I'm pretty sure we could get one or more of our Laker fan members to do it for us.
Well you might but you won't get it from me. Look I know people are sensitive but I told about the channel 10 news story. I see that your sensitive , so I will just drop it. I just was told about it and wanted to share it. It was an either /or article. Ill just drop it!

K

Kingsguy881

Well you might but you won't get it from me. Look I know people are sensitive but I told about the channel 10 news story. I see that your sensitive , so I will just drop it. I just was told about it and wanted to share it. It was an either /or article. Ill just drop it!
You're a troll. It has nothing to do with 'people are sensitive' amd everything to do with you trying to get your digs in. It has been speculated ever since the end of last season that Hansen had his eyes on the Sac Kings, and for you to come and post a link to a story that says NOTHING conclusive and then an 'I'm sorry' afterward like 'yup, the Kings are moving based off this stupid rhetorical article I just posted a link to <giggle giggle snort giggle>' is asinine trolling in its very definition. Grow up.

Just where the hell did you come from? I haven't even responded to your crap, I though Bajaden had set you straight but you are still on the same uneducated ignorant kick as always.

i wanna start off by saying im just trying to be optimistic here not trying to be a troll or anything.

but i have kind have been flirting with the idea of moving to the Seattle area, i wanna get out of expensive as hell California, and its very appealing to me (close to snowboarding, big city, pro sports) and if they Kings ended up moving there, or any NBA team for that matter, i think it would make my mind up.....

You're a troll. It has nothing to do with 'people are sensitive' amd everything to do with you trying to get your digs in. It has been speculated ever since the end of last season that Hansen had his eyes on the Sac Kings, and for you to come and post a link to a story that says NOTHING conclusive and then an 'I'm sorry' afterward like 'yup, the Kings are moving based off this stupid rhetorical article I just posted a link to <giggle giggle snort giggle>' is asinine trolling in its very definition. Grow up.

Just where the hell did you come from? I haven't even responded to your crap, I though Bajaden had set you straight but you are still on the same uneducated ignorant kick as always.
I dropped it. Like I said no more out of me on this subject. Also no more videos about what has come out.

Last edited:
i wanna start off by saying im just trying to be optimistic here not trying to be a troll or anything.

but i have kind have been flirting with the idea of moving to the Seattle area, i wanna get out of expensive as hell California, and its very appealing to me (close to snowboarding, big city, pro sports) and if they Kings ended up moving there, or any NBA team for that matter, i think it would make my mind up.....
Seattle is a nice town but they really don't need the Kings like Sacramento does. I would support a Bobcats to Seattle but not the Kings.

Where in Seattle do you want to move to?

Seattle is a great town three months of the year. The other 9 months... well if you love constant miserable weather, this might be the place for you!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Seattle is a great town three months of the year. The other 9 months... well if you love constant miserable weather, this might be the place for you!
Seattle has the highest sucide rate per capita, of any city in the united states. If you like seeing the sun only around 70/80 days a year, go for it.

N

nbaFan

Seattle has the highest sucide rate per capita, of any city in the united states. If you like seeing the sun only around 70/80 days a year, go for it.
wrong, heres a Forbes mag article from June 2012 clarifying our national myths, heres Myth 1 and 2....

1. Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the country.

Seattle has regrettably suffered the title “Suicide City USA” for a long time, presumably because of the weather. Rainy weather equals higher suicide rates – perfectly logical! But the truth is Seattle doesn’t even make the top 10 list. According to a study published in the journal Social Science and Medicine, Las Vegas is the true suicide capital of the US, followed by Colorado Springs, Tuscon and a list of other cities that don’t include Seattle. Among states, Alaska tops the list.

2. The Pacific Northwest is the rainiest part of the country.

Not even close. Hawaii and all of the states along the Gulf Coast get more annual precipitation on average than the Pacific Northwest by a wide margin.

ps. it was 70 and beautiful today

wrong, heres a Forbes mag article from June 2012 clarifying our national myths, heres Myth 1 and 2....

1. Seattle has the highest suicide rate in the country.

Seattle has regrettably suffered the title “Suicide City USA” for a long time, presumably because of the weather. Rainy weather equals higher suicide rates – perfectly logical! But the truth is Seattle doesn’t even make the top 10 list. According to a study published in the journal Social Science and Medicine, Las Vegas is the true suicide capital of the US, followed by Colorado Springs, Tuscon and a list of other cities that don’t include Seattle. Among states, Alaska tops the list.

2. The Pacific Northwest is the rainiest part of the country.

Not even close. Hawaii and all of the states along the Gulf Coast get more annual precipitation on average than the Pacific Northwest by a wide margin.

ps. it was 70 and beautiful today
Pure comedy there!
Seriously. You cannot compare Hawaii weather and Seattle. They get frequent tropical rains in Hawaii. We aren't idiots here. I know Seattle very well and many people who live there. They all hate the weather because it's cold miserable, dark and wet for very long periods of time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Has this thread really deteriorated into a pissing contest about the comparisons between the weather in Hawaii and Seattle? TDOS has lasted WAY too long...

Has this thread really deteriorated into a pissing contest about the comparisons between the weather in Hawaii and Seattle? TDOS has lasted WAY too long...
Talking the weather is better then watching the sudden influx of Seattle posters who don't have the good sense to avoid hitting the reply button. It's like the house you've been living in for 27 years could be foreclosed on soon and buyers are strolling in and measuring the windows for new curtains while you are eating dinner.

I guess they have a short memory when it comes to these things.

Seattle is a nice town but they really don't need the Kings like Sacramento does. I would support a Bobcats to Seattle but not the Kings.

Where in Seattle do you want to move to?
one of the smaller towns right outside Seattle so im like 10 minutes from the city.

and ya trust me, i love my Kings, and i am hoping 100% that they dont leave sacramento