Kings @ Spurs Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SiliconBreakfast said:
Why not play Kevin Martin. He must suck in practice or something. You would think he could defend Parker and still not take lame shots or turn the ball over like Hart did.
if adelman can get hart to not take stupid shots then he would be a decent bench player!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SiliconBreakfast said:
Why not play Kevin Martin. He must suck in practice or something. You would think he could defend Parker and still not take lame shots or turn the ball over like Hart did.
You're kidding, right?

Tony Parker is very, very, very good at what he does. If Bonzi can't shut him down, I don't see anyone else on our team up to the task.

kingsfannPDX said:
if adelman can get hart to not take stupid shots then he would be a decent bench player!
True, but a couple games back he did have a game where he made like 3 in a row or something. I remember it shocking me :D

We all know the game that KM can bring. I wish he would get at least get some game time...

SiliconBreakfast said:
Hart had one turnover... omg :p

Great game... the loss kinda hurts though. Don't know why we didn't get to the line more when they were one foul away from being in the penalty, and then when they were.

But, we had someone other than Duncan/Parker beat us. We played real hard, and just came up, legit, a bit short.

I really liked what I saw tonight though, especially against the defending champs!

Kings113 said:
Hart had one turnover... omg :p

Great game... the loss kinda hurts though. Don't know why we didn't get to the line more when they were one foul away from being in the penalty, and then when they were. quote]

because spurs cried after EVERY foul. it was a little ridiculous. duncan throwing his arms in the air or running over to the bench. even rasho couldn't believe that somehow he fouled a guy. so i think palmer and crew realized that they were calling too many fouls and gave SA the superstar and/or homecourt treatment.

kennadog said:
Eh, the Spurs have been together years. The Kings are trying to incorporate 2 starters. It takes time to come together and be competitive, it takes even longer to learn how to close out a game together.
yeah, but there's just something not right about this team as a group...just get a feeling...I might just be hungry, but who knows.*L*

VF21 said:
It was still a game they weren't even really expected to be competitive in. The fact they did so well - and would have won had it not been for errant FT shooting - is good, all things considered.

Just my three cents, of course...
I agree... I didn't see the game because we were out tonight, but when we returned my husband & I were almost scared to check the score. We didn't really expect to win, and we were worried that it could have been ugly. Well, when we saw that we lost by such a slim margin.. Wow! impressive game sounds like.

I missed the entire game except for the last shot they showed on HPL.

(I have an excuse; mom was down from Nevada for my baby girls B-Day and to visit for the Xmas holiday)

Anyway, we barely lost and my comments are on box score alone. Let’s see if my comments mesh with what actually transpired in the game. Think it should be fun.

Reef 25/7/3 not bad, not sure how dominate it was but I would assume this was one of his best efforts as a king.

Peja 13/7??? HOW, what 7 boards? I assume it was mostly balls bouncing his way. Only 1 3pter made and I could guess he scored none in the 4th.

Bonzi 11/11 typical night as a King, looks like he was very active again.

Bibby 21/2/6 I would consider this a good night (I did see the last shot on highlights. It was almost in there)

Brad 13/13/6 I would by the stats Brad was pretty studly tonight. Lots of boards, assists and did some scoring to keep them honest. Mostly jump shots I assume.

Overall team stats look nice ... Reb 34/33 ... Assts 20/17 ... 3pt 3/6 ... FT 8/12

Pretty clear we lost this one at the line and beyond the arc. I would think by the box score only this was a game we could have won. Pretty good considering I was thinking we were going to get killed.

Again remember my comments are on the stats only. I didn't watch the game and would be curious to see how close my thoughts are to what actually unfolded.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Brace yourself. Not only did Peja have 7 rebounds he actually... get ready for it ... posted up.

Hello??

man that sucks, one freaking point.

still, the kings have played well in both games against the spurs this year. they lost by 3 with no peja, and tonight only lost by 1. they are putting some effort into these games with the spurs which is all i can ask for.

i would have been much more pissed off if they had gotten blown out. i can handle just barely losing much better then being blown out.

BigWaxer said:
Peja 13/7??? HOW, what 7 boards? I assume it was mostly balls bouncing his way. Only 1 3pter made and I could guess he scored none in the 4th. .
He's had 8 twice, and that's his 3rd or 4th 7-board game (along with a bunch of 5/6). Tonight he went after most of them actually (as I've seen sometimes in general rebounding), not just bouncing off the rim to him flatfooted or something.

Only took one shot in the 4th, got a key board, and turned it over.

That was great to see him post-up... I've only seen it occasionally from him. He should do it more.

Last edited:
Rick should do rotations like this.

1st Rotation.

Bibby/Wells/SAR/Brad/Skinner (Skinner Brad vice versa)

2nd Rotation.

Hart/Garcia/Peja/SAR/Brad

3rd Rotation

Bibby/Wells/Peja/KT/Skinner

Why do we give up so many open shots? That's the reason we lose the close ones. Finley gets a wide open shot with 5 seconds left. What do we get, a Bibby heave with someone all in his face. I will say the effort was there throughout the game of which I am proud but these little lapses kill us. Also alot of times when the game is close or we are up by 2 with the possession , we come down and take horrible shots i.e. Peja one-legged fade away with us up 2 and then Bibby coming down and shooting immediately without even trying to get a good shot. Those things come back and bite us. But all around seems like they are learning to play with each other and should win alot of games with that kind of effort.

Well it's obvious to say DET is better than SA. Did anyone see Lawson on House Party say DET had the best backcourt in the NBA :) ? All you kiddies didn't agree, sigh.....It's fair to say that 90% of the members here haven't even played high school/college basketball.

Kings played about a 8 out of 10 game. I don't like the play they ran with 2 seconds left. I like Jason Hart taking the ball out in that situation with Bibby coming off a screen and catch the ball around 20 feet, take a dribble to his left(he's better going left) and pulling up.

I remember one of my first posts I was stressing the point that the kings big men and Bonzi need to drive to the basket and make things happen. Shareef did very well tonight driving past the slow big men (Duncan, Rasho, Nzar, whoever guarded him) to get the rim and finish. Parker showed tonight why penetration is so important in basketball. I'm afraid to say the Kings do too much swinging around the perimeter and not enough penetration.

Kings are a playing like a playoff team right now, and they are not too deep in a hole. They should not trade Peja for his performance on the court. He will always be a streaky shooter and the kings have enough scoring balance to win when he's cold. They should trade him by the deadline, though, because they need to get something for him since he is most likely going to Chicago. If the Bulls wants him so bad I would like to see Geoff offer Peja for Godron AND Deng. If it's rejected then a Gordon and Nocioni deal is OK.

The Kings goal was to win 2 out of these 4 road games and they will achieve this goal with a win in CHA. I'd expect them to jump up on the power rankings around the internet to the top 15 :)

Happy Holidays

Last edited:
I don't get why Bibby heaved up a like 27 footer w/ two guys on him, I wish RA would've called a play to get the ball inside or something. In fact, since Mike's mid range game is so deadly why didn't we use that? We only needed a 2 pointer anyways, not a 3. A 3 was hella stupid, and this bibby inbounds to brad to handoff to mike is getting way too predictable and people can counter it now.

BMiller52 said:
I don't get why Bibby heaved up a like 27 footer w/ two guys on him, I wish RA would've called a play to get the ball inside or something. In fact, since Mike's mid range game is so deadly why didn't we use that? We only needed a 2 pointer anyways, not a 3. A 3 was hella stupid, and this bibby inbounds to brad to handoff to mike is getting way too predictable and people can counter it now.
Absolutely right. It's the kings play for the final shot of the game every time! Recall game 6 against the Lakers in the west finals...same play! Against the Wolves...same play, but that time Bibby was not there so the ball went to 2nd option, Bonzi in the corner. I think the other teams have caught on =)

Status
Not open for further replies.