[Game] Kings @ Spurs, 3/29/21 5:30pm PST, 8:30pm EST

Ok, what’s weird is the Kings just kicked the crap out of SA and looked like a legit threat to possibly leap past teams ahead of them and this game thread has now turned into some type of Bagley thread. LOL.
Well Bagley still hangs over this franchise like a wet fart, threatening to ruin the playoff push in the final moments of the season when he comes back.

If he weren't still here, it's be a different story.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Actually since we have him next year anyway chances are we extend an offer. Bags will have a hard choice. He can take the offer on a 1 year contract but with his injury history it would be a real risk. He isn’t likely to get more than $5M per from another team.

If I’m the Kings I give him a 3 year $7M per year deal.

But right now I’m more worried what some team might offer Richaun.
I think there's a greater than 50-50 chance Bagley is going to play for the qualifying offer in year 5. Which will be like $15-16m I believe (25% raise and he'll make ~12 next year?).

Good game. McNair really improved that second unit.

As for Bags, he'll be coming off the bench if he comes back to play this year. I say IF, because if the past is any indication for the future, the family won't let him return until he's 110%, which may be never.
Yeah except word of that is spreading around the league.

Sounds oddly similar to "Luka and Fox can't share the ball so that's why we took Marvin” in terms of justification of dumbness
Eh, give them a break. Spurs fans aren't used to losing so they're still in the stage of losing fanhood where you self-manufacture a narrative. We did that for a while too, safe to say Vlade broke that as far as this fanbase goes.

Just finished watching the game......this team is fun to watch again. That stretch by the bench was bad ass. Mo Harkless may still have something left,

This team just dismantled SA.
Just when it looked like the Spurs had figured the Kings out, the bench came back with a vengeance on the defensive side of the ball. Harkless, Hali, Holmes, Davis and Wright put on a clinic there with one defensive play after another. It's almost weird watching the Kings not be a step slow in reacting while losing almost every 50/50 ball.

That one Hali steal where he kicked it back to Buddy while flying out of bounds might be one of my favorite plays of the year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Eh, give them a break. Spurs fans aren't used to losing so they're still in the stage of losing fanhood where you self-manufacture a narrative. We did that for a while too, safe to say Vlade broke that as far as this fanbase goes.
The Spurs so rarely miss on these sorts of things that it's fair for them to grasp for straws about passing on Haliburton but, while I still do like Vassell's potential, it is looking increasingly unlikely that he'll ever be able to overcome the narrative of the Spurs picking him instead of the stud superhigh BBIQ, elite shooter that they usually tend to hit home runs on.

Just when it looked like the Spurs had figured the Kings out, the bench came back with a vengeance on the defensive side of the ball. Harkless, Hali, Holmes, Davis and Wright put on a clinic there with one defensive play after another. It's almost weird watching the Kings not be a step slow in reacting while losing almost every 50/50 ball.

That one Hali steal where he kicked it back to Buddy while flying out of bounds might be one of my favorite plays of the year.
It's honestly just bonkers how good his game awareness is. If you had no idea he was a 21 year old rookie, you'd think he was a 6-year vet that's started 400 games.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Lose to Mil, PHX and Utah is fine. Need at least 6.
Most of the remaining 6 seem winnable. Lakers suck right now. Still no AD or Lebron. Minnesota, Detroit, and Washington are bad period. Game 2 against San Antonio is the type of trap game we need to win to keep this momentum going and New Orleans is match-up hell for us but they have no answer for our backcourt just like we have no answer for their frontcourt. We split the first two meetings. We're probably going to need some favorable officiating to win that one with all the limbs that will be flying through the paint (or at least not objectively horrible).

The Spurs so rarely miss on these sorts of things that it's fair for them to grasp for straws about passing on Haliburton but, while I still do like Vassell's potential, it is looking increasingly unlikely that he'll ever be able to overcome the narrative of the Spurs picking him instead of the stud superhigh BBIQ, elite shooter that they usually tend to hit home runs on.
The grasping at straws is pretty wild, they're saying it's coming down to opportunity now, and while that's true and Vassell will eventually get his opportunities, it's probably just going to be the same bunch of boring the Spurs always do.

Vassell, Walker, White, Johnson, Murray. All good pieces you'd love to hit on in the back half of the 1st round, but a ho-hum hodgepodge of mediocre young talent overall. Their best prospect is Dejounte Murray, for god's sakes. A far cry from the Foxes, Bookers, Mitchells, Lukas, SGAs, and so on that form the lynchpin of all the electric young cores out there.

Reasons to be optimistic

1) Fox has been great for an extended period of time. It looks easy for him, it’s not like he is gasping for air at the end of games

2) the Death lineup has been good all year and is getting the most run it has at any point this season

3) Haliburn and Holmes have continued to be rock solid steady. Guys you can count on.

4) the bench at least is filled with guys that will play. It’s too early to suggest they are even a good bench but at least Walton isn’t relying on one or two guys.

Reasons for Caution

1) we have been here before talking about Fox’s heroics and how their play has looked sustainable.

2) we haven’t played many high caliber teams.

3) the bench doesn’t seem to have enough scoring punch.

Last edited:
The grasping at straws is pretty wild, they're saying it's coming down to opportunity now, and while that's true and Vassell will eventually get his opportunities, it's probably just going to be the same bunch of boring the Spurs always do.

Vassell, Walker, White, Johnson, Murray. All good pieces you'd love to hit on in the back half of the 1st round, but a ho-hum hodgepodge of mediocre young talent overall. Their best prospect is Dejounte Murray, for god's sakes. A far cry from the Foxes, Bookers, Mitchells, Lukas, SGAs, and so on that form the lynchpin of all the electric young cores out there.
Have to take in account where all these guys were picked.

Vassell 11th
Johnson 29th
Walker 18th
White 29th
Murray 29th

Incredible value for three 29th picks. I think their biggest issue was not getting enough value in the Kawhi trade.

This is how bad teams think. You play players where they help you the most. At this point, Bagley hasn't shown enough to demand starting. If he were to go elsewhere, he would have to earn a starting spot. Where he was drafted is irrelevant at this point.
I disagree and I don't think he's played bad at all when he's in. I don't understand why people acting like he's a bust. Only thing stopping this guy is injuries and full starting minutes. He's earned his minutes. Nobody here understands why he doesn't play in 4th when the starting unit with him in it has a positive rating. I understand putting rook in but it's not because Bagley can't play. Everyone gets amnesia when we win lol.

Actually since we have him next year anyway chances are we extend an offer. Bags will have a hard choice. He can take the offer on a 1 year contract but with his injury history it would be a real risk. He isn’t likely to get more than $5M per from another team.

If I’m the Kings I give him a 3 year $7M per year deal.

But right now I’m more worried what some team might offer Richaun.
Yeah, all it takes is one butthurt team to mess with the Kings this offseason which is scary.

Bagley's agent will ask for a trade at some point. They do not want him to be the next Derrick Williams and even with him catching all the flack he has he shouldn't. I don't understand his minutes being artificially held up in prior seasons but per 36 he's been a comfortable 20 and 10 from day 1. That's not a bust for a young big, not at all. The rule of thumb should always be if you draft a player based on production potential you better put them in a position to produce otherwise this is what you get.

there are a number of former number 2 picks that have come off the bench. Just to name a few would be Michael Beasley, Derrick Williams, Evan Turner, Emeka Okafor, Jabari Parker and MKG.
Every one of those guys is trash. Bagley has more potential than all those. Would you traxe Bagley for any of them? Just asking for a friend

I disagree and I don't think he's played bad at all when he's in. I don't understand why people acting like he's a bust. Only thing stopping this guy is injuries and full starting minutes. He's earned his minutes. Nobody here understands why he doesn't play in 4th when the starting unit with him in it has a positive rating. I understand putting rook in but it's not because Bagley can't play. Everyone gets amnesia when we win lol.
The injury problem is numero uno - he's batting 3 for 3 for missing significant number of games so far - that's an unwelcome track-record. Remember these are his 'younger' years.

Bagley's agent will ask for a trade at some point. They do not want him to be the next Derrick Williams and even with him catching all the flack he has he shouldn't. I don't understand his minutes being artificially held up in prior seasons but per 36 he's been a comfortable 20 and 10 from day 1. That's not a bust for a young big, not at all. The rule of thumb should always be if you draft a player based on production potential you better put them in a position to produce otherwise this is what you get.
But the elephant in the room is what his “per 36” is on the defensive end of the floor. I don’t find it a coincidence that the KINGS defense has seemingly improved post MB3’s injury.

He can be 20/10 per 36 guy all day, but until he can play better team defense his value is extremely limited.

But the elephant in the room is what his “per 36” is on the defensive end of the floor. I don’t find it a coincidence that the KINGS defense has seemingly improved post MB3’s injury.

He can be 20/10 per 36 guy all day, but until he can play better team defense his value is extremely limited.
His defense has been improving all season, but he is still a weak link at this point. Ultimately, either Bagley or Buddy have to move to the bench to compensate for their defense. With the way they are currently playing, it would be Bagly right now. Next season it could easily be the other way around. In the mean time, you don't mess with what is working.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Every one of those guys is trash. Bagley has more potential than all those. Would you traxe Bagley for any of them? Just asking for a friend
Trash? that's a bit harsh. Bagley hasn't proven to be much better honestly. Potential only gets you so far. Beasley and Williams had a whole bunch of it coming out of college. Beasley especially, he dominated at K State. I'd trade Bagley for a Okafor type big though, yes.

If Bagley wasn't Mr. Glass right now he'd be awesome. If he actually played a full year I don't think anyone would have an issue with his game. He goes out for so long every injury its like having to start all over again every time he's back.

Its to the point where if you draft a big, all they should focus on is the weightroom for 1/4 of the season, then get into practices and acclimated with the team. So many bigs get hurt early in their careers.