[Game] Kings @ Spurs, 3/29/21 5:30pm PST, 8:30pm EST

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The Holmes/Bagley lineup was still a positive net rating squad but the defense was atrocious. The smalls put up like a 105-106 def rating which is pretty good in todays game but the Bagley/Holmes unit while yes, a positive net rating unit was like a 114 def rating. Yikes.
yeah sacrificing offense for defense in this scenario is not the worst alternative for the Kings. If Marvin buys in, then he can be a part of the teams future, otherwise Monte might be anxious to get value out of him before extension time comes around

He would really look good with the second unit. Wright, Davis, Harklesss & Metu all play good defense.
I don't think playing big is an option any longer. Maybe Metu and Bagley have some synergy but the numbers back up playing with 1 big at a time. There isn't enough time to fudge around and watch teams pound you in the 2nd quarters of games.

Bagley not going to bench. He number 2 pick. Either he starts or he's traded
Not long term. No way. But for the rest of this season it is basically their only option. Putting him back in to the starting unit this year after that new starting 5 is clearly the teams best unit and a league best all season can't happen unless they collapse otherwise.

so then Marvin can be used as a super sub off the bench if he doesn't mesh with Holmes and if that doesn't sound enticing enough for him and he wants to start then ship him out
To win a Chip we need Marvin to play to his physical capabilities. With Holmes and Buddy’s contracts we will struggle to have room to sign a free agent.

But.....

If Holmes and Hali can keep running the pick and roll like they did tonight..... we could be a good team.

The Holmes/Bagley lineup was still a positive net rating squad but the defense was atrocious. The smalls put up like a 105-106 def rating which is pretty good in todays game but the Bagley/Holmes unit while yes, a positive net rating unit was like a 114 def rating. Yikes.
and it certainly didn't have anything to do with Richaun Holmes

Sounds oddly similar to "Luka and Fox can't share the ball so that's why we took Marvin” in terms of justification of dumbness
Vlade was right about Luka and Fox. You don't want two Jordans. However, Haliburton is more Pippen-esque so yeah, teams goofed. Haliburton and Fox aren't a perfect pairing but now that Walton is staggering Tyrese to run the bench offense there is no reason for it not to give you 48 mpg of great pick and roll Bball.

To win a Chip we need Marvin to play to his physical capabilities. With Holmes and Buddy’s contracts we will struggle to have room to sign a free agent.

But.....

If Holmes and Hali can keep running the pick and roll like they did tonight..... we could be a good team.
We could stretch him for a $3.77 million hit over 3 seasons in the off season.. Maybe we can salary dump him with a couple of seconds?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
This is how bad teams think. You play players where they help you the most. At this point, Bagley hasn't shown enough to demand starting. If he were to go elsewhere, he would have to earn a starting spot. Where he was drafted is irrelevant at this point.
There’s a zero percent chance he starts again this year. We’ll see how the cards shake out next season, but I can’t imagine he’s too high on the priority list of who to build around and he’s going to fall in with wherever Monte handles the rest of his moves.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

But.....

Marvin simply doesn't play enough to build cohesion with his guards. It's been said that durability is a skill and that's one skill that Marvin does not possess this early in his career.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I am enjoying this version of the team.
This is how bad teams think. You play players where they help you the most. At this point, Bagley hasn't shown enough to demand starting. If he were to go elsewhere, he would have to earn a starting spot. Where he was drafted is irrelevant at this point.
Yep. We own him next year so we can play him however we see fit and ship him if he's a malcontent, but maybe in the second squad with the right defenders around him he can not be a net negative (also maybe a new coach???)

Not for nothing, you can pretty much point to the quick turnaround when he went out of the lineup as well.

and it certainly didn't have anything to do with Richaun Holmes
Not at all. A lot of it had to do with the scheme. With the smalls they tend to play more aggressive on the ball with the switch (not enough IMO) but with Bagley and Holmes they had them play way off to overhelp and not pressure which I think they could have. The over help gave teams everything they wanted and more on spot 3's.

I am enjoying this version of the team.

Yep. We own him next year so we can play him however we see fit and ship him if he's a malcontent, but maybe in the second squad with the right defenders around him he can not be a net negative (also maybe a new coach???)

Not for nothing, you can pretty much point to the quick turnaround when he went out of the lineup as well.
Actually since we have him next year anyway chances are we extend an offer. Bags will have a hard choice. He can take the offer on a 1 year contract but with his injury history it would be a real risk. He isn’t likely to get more than $5M per from another team.

If I’m the Kings I give him a 3 year $7M per year deal.

But right now I’m more worried what some team might offer Richaun.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Actually since we have him next year anyway chances are we extend an offer. Bags will have a hard choice. He can take the offer on a 1 year contract but with his injury history it would be a real risk. He isn’t likely to get more than $5M per from another team.

If I’m the Kings I give him a 3 year $7M per year deal.
I keep trying to offer him to other teams for Saddiq Bey level players and hope someone says yes.

Look what the cat dragged in -> 3 off .500.....still lots of games left, but its improbable - 2 slots for 6 teams MAYBE 3 slots for 7 teams if Portland or Denver falter badly but unlikely. Magic number is around 38 or 39 wins.
16Ws and 9 losses. This is kind of deja vu from some previous seasons. Kings play the Jazz a bunch, Spurs and Mavs.

Spurs, Mavs, Grizzlies games are worth extra - they need to win 70% of those.

Not at all. A lot of it had to do with the scheme. With the smalls they tend to play more aggressive on the ball with the switch (not enough IMO) but with Bagley and Holmes they had them play way off to overhelp and not pressure which I think they could have. The over help gave teams everything they wanted and more on spot 3's.
35% 3pt shooting against the kings post bagley. 40% rest of the year.