Kings simply wonder

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12928961p-13776855c.html

Kings simply wonder

The stall in labor negotiations creates fears of obstinacy.

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, May 21, 2005

Bobby Jackson said he thinks he understands why NBA owners are troubled.

Then again, the Kings guard said he also understands why players need to stick together in their current collective bargaining negotiations.

Kings forward Corliss Williamson trusts the sides will come to an agreement so the NBA will start on time next fall, even though talks between the union and owners stalled this week.

Meanwhile, Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie said he is planning to have a team ready in Las Vegas on July 6, when the summer league is supposed to begin.

With the current collective bargaining agreement expiring June 30, news that the sides had broken off talks on a new one means different things to different people. The worst-case scenario would be the league locking out the players July 1.

Jackson, 32, is expected to have the final season of his six-year contract assumed by the Kings. He will be paid $3.375 million next season if the Kings pick up that option.

On one hand, that salary is considered low for a player with his spark. On the other, Jackson has been sidelined by injuries for major portions of the past three seasons.

"If I was an owner, I'd probably feel the same way when it comes to wanting to shorten the length of contracts from seven to five years," Jackson said this week. "There aren't a lot of players who receive (maximum) contracts, but how many times do those players give the owners what they are paying for during the length of the deal? Injuries usually are what keep players from doing that."

Jackson said both sides need to give a little.

"I think the owners have some legitimate gripes, and so do we," he said. "Really, if a player isn't performing, he really doesn't deserve to be paid some of the ridiculous money players get. And I think we as athletes take things for granted. We've been blessed with tremendous athletic gifts and talents, but we sometimes act as if the owners owe us something.

"We're fortunate to be here."

During the 1998-99 lockout, Williamson, 31, remembers how he kept feeling during the summer that the lockout would soon end and the season would start on time. But the season was shortened to 50 games, and the Kings played their first game Feb. 5, 1999.

"I was a little disappointed to hear that talks (this year) had been shut down," Williamson said, "but I hope both sides find a solution to the problem. Hopefully, shutting down the talks now will allow everyone to recognize there is a problem, and both sides will work harder to get things done.

"But you've got to hope both sides realize what will happen if the season doesn't start on time and that reality is going to set in for both sides."

Petrie, who said this week he is beginning to feel much better after undergoing an angioplasty May 4, didn't go to Europe to scout players this past week. He and the basketball staff will look at draft-eligible players next week at the team's practice facility. Then it will be on to the Chicago pre-draft camp in early June in preparation for the June 28 draft. The Kings' only selection will be the No. 23 pick. Their second-round choice goes to Utah in the 2003 deal that sent Keon Clark to the Jazz.

I hope the player and owners learn from the last lock out and get this done. I lock out would be bad for the league. I think the fans over all are fed up with the spoiled rich kids that make up the NBA for the most part. I think any stoppage in play will devestate the NBA. Learn from hocky and baseball and from the 1998-1999 lockout. Put your egos away and setting this thing

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
If only the rest of the players would be as objective as Bobby in viewing the issues. My big thing is players getting long term contracts (3-5 years+) then not performing or getting injured and affecting the team.

In the rest of the world if we at work don't perform we get fired or laid off. If work decreases for a production worker on a production team, the team output goes down. In every job in the world EXCEPT NBA players, if you don't perform you don't get paid. Union wants players to get paid regardless of performance, injuries or attitude. Bad for sports. Bad for the NBA. and horrible for us fans.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
CruzDude said:
In the rest of the world if we at work don't perform we get fired or laid off. If work decreases for a production worker on a production team, the team output goes down. In every job in the world EXCEPT NBA players, if you don't perform you don't get paid. Union wants players to get paid regardless of performance, injuries or attitude. Bad for sports. Bad for the NBA. and horrible for us fans.
On the other hand, in the rest of the world if you perform very well, you get a riase. Or you leave the firm. Guaranteed deals work both ways --for every Vin Baker there is a Peja or Bobby. Its the risk you take.

It would be nice if there was some way to address the major injury problem. but of course oftent he reason a player locks himself inot a long term deal is precidely to gain security -- willing to sacrifice $$$ for the guarantee of getting paid regardless of what happnes in the future. So maybe there is no real way to go at it afterall, without just turning the whole league into a giant swapmeet where there is no such thing as a team and jsut random collections of players wearing a uniform every year.

The bottom line is both sides need to find a way to get this done period. Millionaire players and billionaire owners are griping over lifestyles that the average fan will never know.

Save all the talk, all the B.S., just shut up and get a deal done.

A

AriesMar27

bbb said:
It's billionaires fighting with millionaires, while the "thousandaires" don't get to watch basketball
that is so true..... no matter how funny it was....

LMM said:
Meanwhile, Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie said he is planning to have a team ready in Las Vegas on July 6, when the summer league is supposed to begin.
hell no... keep the kings in cali keep the kings in sactown. in petrie i don't trust if he moves this team out of cali. las vegas? come on... like the kings need any more distractions to keep them from working on their game.

Bricklayer said:
On the other hand, in the rest of the world if you perform very well, you get a riase. Or you leave the firm. Guaranteed deals work both ways --for every Vin Baker there is a Peja or Bobby. Its the risk you take.

not a big risk,you get paid a base wage, if your performance/productivity is above a certain level you make more $$$ as a bonus, if you don't, you make your base wage only,it a good incentive to work hard,earn your money,its good for both employee and employer,and if you can't "cut it" and are always below that certain "level" than your gone.There is always someone out there ready to fill that spot.This type of system would be very interesting in the NBA,but it will never happen.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
SacKingsFX said:
hell no... keep the kings in cali keep the kings in sactown. in petrie i don't trust if he moves this team out of cali. las vegas? come on... like the kings need any more distractions to keep them from working on their game.
You misunderstood.

The summer league takes place in Las Vegas. It doesn't have anything to do with moving the Kings.

F

Fillmoe

SacKingsFX said:
if the kings did move im sure Petrie would have lil opinion in it.......

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Please - for the love of whatever - can we have this NOT turn into another discussion of whether or not the Kings are going to move to Las Vegas? PLEASE?????

T

thesanityannex

CruzDude said:
In the rest of the world if we at work don't perform we get fired or laid off. If work decreases for a production worker on a production team, the team output goes down. In every job in the world EXCEPT NBA players, if you don't perform you don't get paid.
college professors with tenure dont necessarily need to perform to get paid. pretty much free to do as they wish. ive had a few so i know about performances lacking. just one of those things that seems really unfair, but we have to deal with.