Kings sign Dedmon 3 years 40 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't and am not really anti-Dedmon as much as I was hoping they'd resign Stein before.....better getting both of them would've been the ticket along with Holmes. Stein in the game helped free Bagley on defense more and allowed for better weak-side help. Dedmon is not starting material at all. He's a solid bench player.

I was one of those that grossly overestimate Dedmon. But as long as that shooting is there he can still be utilized. Just taking longer for him and team to adjust. I like idea of parking him in the corner
They dont need shooting from him as much as better defense. His shot blocking has looked pretty good - he is not afraid to really challenge shots,, but his court awareness is poor and he's slow and fumbly with ball.

I honestly don't know much about Dedmon other than seeing some highlights and comments. I was excited with the signing but after 4 games? Nah. He shows no real impact to the game. I am not feeling it. Other things I am disappointed. I thought the team is preaching defense this year but they still couldn't guard the pick n roll which continue to kill the Kings every year. Why don't they play switch defense if they have too much problem getting picks. I rather them play switch and getting exploited by mismatches than constantly giving guy wide open shot or penetration because of a simple pick n roll they couldn't guard. The hard part is that it is committed by the same players that you rely for scoring, like Buddy Hield, Bogi, Fox, Bjelica.

I honestly don't know much about Dedmon other than seeing some highlights and comments. I was excited with the signing but after 4 games? Nah. He shows no real impact to the game. I am not feeling it. Other things I am disappointed. I thought the team is preaching defense this year but they still couldn't guard the pick n roll which continue to kill the Kings every year. Why don't they play switch defense if they have too much problem getting picks. I rather them play switch and getting exploited by mismatches than constantly giving guy wide open shot or penetration because of a simple pick n roll they couldn't guard. The hard part is that it is committed by the same players that you rely for scoring, like Buddy Hield, Bogi, Fox, Bjelica.
No, he is a good bench player - can get in maybe hit some shots and go for blocks. -- I think of him as a 'balanced Kufos'.......he has nothing close to Cauley Stein's athleticism. Some posts have 'fessed up to the fact the Kings f&&ked up a bit with dismissing Stein. The F-up was 2-fold with both him and Joerger. Barnes trade was a small plus, although he's moderately overpaid now. Actually like I mentioned, Dedmon wasn't really a bad signing for bench strengthening, but they should've kept Stein as well.

No, he is a good bench player - can get in maybe hit some shots and go for blocks. -- I think of him as a 'balanced Kufos'.......he has nothing close to Cauley Stein's athleticism. Some posts have 'fessed up to the fact the Kings f&&ked up a bit with dismissing Stein. The F-up was 2-fold with both him and Joerger. Barnes trade was a small plus, although he's moderately overpaid now. Actually like I mentioned, Dedmon wasn't really a bad signing for bench strengthening, but they should've kept Stein as well.
Willie wants to be a star but he doesn't play like a star. I get why folks are frustrated right now but he's on a minimum deal with Golden State for a reason.

Joerger was also becoming a liability. Let's not forget how this team finished after the break, not to mention the final 10 games were an utter disaster, and the final game was a FU. I also get that right now it doesn't look like we made an upgrade but it's four games. I mentioned earlier that Indiana is also winless and they were 5th in the East last season, so it's possible at least some of this is due to the India trip. And the Phoenix loss looked a lot worse before they beat the Clippers without Ayton.

We've gotten overly excited about a few hot starts in years past let's not get too worked up at least before Bagley returns. He is a player we are expecting to see a major leap from and most of our future success is going to hinge on whether/when that happens.

Willie wants to be a star but he doesn't play like a star. I get why folks are frustrated right now but he's on a minimum deal with Golden State for a reason.

Joerger was also becoming a liability. Let's not forget how this team finished after the break, not to mention the final 10 games were an utter disaster, and the final game was a FU. I also get that right now it doesn't look like we made an upgrade but it's four games. I mentioned earlier that Indiana is also winless and they were 5th in the East last season, so it's possible at least some of this is due to the India trip. And the Phoenix loss looked a lot worse before they beat the Clippers without Ayton.

We've gotten overly excited about a few hot starts in years past let's not get too worked up at least before Bagley returns. He is a player we are expecting to see a major leap from and most of our future success is going to hinge on whether/when that happens.
Kings didn't need Stein to be a star, just an average starter who helps pull pressure off Bagley. 6 weeks for Bagley, by then the damage will be done.
Even with an uptick, I doubt the team does better than 34 wins. Joerger was not a liability - he helped produce their best season in 10 years. Lets not forget he waded through a camel dung season prior. I'd originally thought maybe 40 wins or .500 for this year. Maybe without the injury that was possible, but I doubt now. Holmes will fill some of the interior void, but the lack of continuity and discipline is on the coach. Their defense looks worse, and now their offense is in a funk as well..... The Kings may be able to pick on a few teams but they're back to their old lower tier bottomish form. . And who cares about an FU game where they're out of the playoffs anyway....means little. 2 years of Joerger's structure thrown away, and the musical chairs continues. This is it for Divac. He's getting canned for anything less than the playoffs, and that's not happening with this play. They are getting beat handily by playoff teams....will be lucky to go 5-10 after 0-4.

Yeah, as it turns out, WCS and Holmes would be a nice 1-2 combo. Any given night Willie didn’t have it, just lean extra on Holmes.

Dedmon not being a very good passer apparently was hidden by Pop and Budeholzer. Dedmon has no assists to speak of in his past stats. Even Willie averaged 2.4 assists last season.

So what is Walton going to do? Limit Dedmon to hand offs and two hand chest passes?

What Dedmon CAN do is protect the rim and defend the paint. He can also shoot the open 3. So Walton and Company better game plan for a 5 who can do what Dedmon CAN do.
Read and React offense is a bad fit with the current roster or at least starting unit. Dedmon, Bagley, Buddy do not have court vision and ball control. Even Fox is not that good at decision making yet.

Kings didn't need Stein to be a star, just an average starter who helps pull pressure off Bagley. 6 weeks for Bagley, by then the damage will be done.
Even with an uptick, I doubt the team does better than 34 wins. Joerger was not a liability - he helped produce their best season in 10 years. Lets not forget he waded through a camel dung season prior. I'd originally thought maybe 40 wins or .500 for this year. Maybe without the injury that was possible, but I doubt now. Holmes will fill some of the interior void, but the lack of continuity and discipline is on the coach. Their defense looks worse, and now their offense is in a funk as well..... The Kings may be able to pick on a few teams but they're back to their old lower tier bottomish form. . And who cares about an FU game where they're out of the playoffs anyway....means little. 2 years of Joerger's structure thrown away, and the musical chairs continues. This is it for Divac. He's getting canned for anything less than the playoffs, and that's not happening with this play. They are getting beat handily by playoff teams....will be lucky to go 5-10 after 0-4.
I'm well aware what the Kings needed from Stein. The problem was Stein didn't accept his role. He thought he was being held back. He thinks he is a unicorn. He's not.

Joerger did nice things but in the end he deserved to be fired. He was a loose cannon and burned bridges with two franchises. His finish was entirely unacceptable and you're damn right that last game mattered a ton to this franchise and he somehow pulled all the starters and surrendered a 20+ point lead against a team that was resting their starters. Time will tell if we made the correct replacement hire but Joerger had to go.

Dedmon is already benched. Stein would've been better than what they have now, please.
The clear team fall-off to start with the changes do not support your conclusions whatsoever........Joerger did not have to go and did better than "nice things"......he patiently waited through some ugly early play the whole season before and no, the last loss didn't mean squat....they were already out of the playoffs by that game.....duh,. Common, it was window dressing.

Dedmon played better and showed his game a little more against the Jazz last night. IMO he has been tentative and showing a case of the yips in new surroundings. My goodness the Man is human.

I think the Coaches and his Teammates will lift him up and he will be all right.
Luke has Dedmon in a better position now coming off the bench. He just needs to come in and gets some rebounds, a couple of blocks and a few hard fouls. On offense, he just needs to clean up some put backs and stick a few open 3's a game.

If Luke continues to play his players to their strengths, the Kings will be alright.

Dedmon played better and showed his game a little more against the Jazz last night. IMO he has been tentative and showing a case of the yips in new surroundings. My goodness the Man is human.

I think the Coaches and his Teammates will lift him up and he will be all right.
Played his best defense of the season by far.

No, i was one of those that want Cauley Stein to be gone. He has extremely low basketball IQ and doesn't impact much on the game. His drive to the hoop and layup is out of control, no ability to pass and see the floor well, his awareness on the court offensively and defensively is at the bottom of the rank. I'm happy he's gone. I just didn't know Dedmon sucks as well.

Dedmon is the one free agent move that has not panned out so far. Even Ariza is providing some valuable defense and leadership. When Bagley returns, he will take whatever minutes Dedmon is getting now.

Hopefully he can find a niche as an enforcer type and 3 point threat along the way this year.

But, he will probably be most valuable as an ending contract at next years trade deadline, where he only has $1 million guaranteed for 2021/22 season. Maybe he can fetch a draft pick and a useful player in a salary dump trade next year.

Dedmon is the one free agent move that has not panned out so far. Even Ariza is providing some valuable defense and leadership. When Bagley returns, he will take whatever minutes Dedmon is getting now.

Hopefully he can find a niche as an enforcer type and 3 point threat along the way this year.

But, he will probably be most valuable as an ending contract at next years trade deadline, where he only has $1 million guaranteed for 2021/22 season. Maybe he can fetch a draft pick and a useful player in a salary dump trade next year.
I'm completely fine with the combined output of Holmes and Dedmond at their combined price. Part of the benefit of signing multiple mid level FAs is you hedge. It's working perfectly.

Of course, everyone has to have an opinion, which requires finding faults. But, there simply isn't really room for every single signing to have massive production. None are a flop. Cojo is fantastic, outperforming I'd say. Holmes is vastly outperforming. Ariza is about what I thought. Dedmon looks like he's yet to find his rhythm in the offense. This is all less than 20 games in under a system with a new coach. This FA class has exceeded my expectations which were already fairly high. I'll wait till at least the all star break to form an opinion on Dedmon. I'm fine if he becomes a back up big sharpshooter and defensive presence off the bench. His D will have to improve for that. So will his shooting. They will.

Last edited:
Cojc has played extremely well but having said that he has also allowed himself to pass up a few easy baskets and wish he at least would try to open up whatever offensive game he has.

At least twice last game I was confused as to why he passed up a fairly uncontested layup or at least getting fouled.
The first time I thought when he drove from right to left and had beat the player guarding him badly and no one around the basket to stop him he just continued on to the other side.

And he went right under the basket and not on the baseline. The first time I thought he must have felt he was not going to get a shot off but when it happened again I saw a pattern that should be fixed.

I am just saying he just might try to score to keep the defense honest. Even prime (Boston) Rondo with his defense exploited the opponents defensive more often.

Dedmon is the worst passer on the team. His favorite pass is a long bounce pass that hits his team mate in the knees.
I have no idea what happened to him. Maybe he's one of those guys who get into their own head trying to live up to their contract.
He plays hard and has a good attitude, but his offense has been putrid.

Bummer Dedmon isn't panning yet, I was excited about that FA pickup. With Giles questionable knees, seems we might be a bit weak up front even with Bagley coming back.
Would we have been best advised to hold on to Kosta or will we make a mid-season trade?
I have a habit of asking questions as I recently had to retire do to health and cut back on media cost. Not like they ever aired the Kings on espn over here anyway.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
still early to make this presumption, but thus far, Dedmon has committed high way robbery on Vlade for somehow getting 40 million. I'd imagine with the way Vlade has signed free agents over the seasons that there will be a team option for the 3rd year.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Bummer Dedmon isn't panning yet, I was excited about that FA pickup. With Giles questionable knees, seems we might be a bit weak up front even with Bagley coming back.
Would we have been best advised to hold on to Kosta or will we make a mid-season trade?
I don't think we'll be all that thin up front once Bagley is back. Dedmon has been a relative disappointment but he's not unserviceable, and when you add in Holmes and Bagley and Bjelica, with Giles behind that, it seems deep enough to me.

I have a habit of asking questions as I recently had to retire do to health and cut back on media cost. Not like they ever aired the Kings on espn over here anyway.
Have you looked into NBA League Pass? I suspect it would be considerably cheaper than a cable package with ESPN, and should be available internationally.

I don't think we'll be all that thin up front once Bagley is back. Dedmon has been a relative disappointment but he's not unserviceable, and when you add in Holmes and Bagley and Bjelica, with Giles behind that, it seems deep enough to me.

Have you looked into NBA League Pass? I suspect it would be considerably cheaper than a cable package with ESPN, and should be available internationally.
Thanks, I will look into the league pass. It might come in handy especially if we look primed for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.