Kings sign Dedmon 3 years 40 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
solid if very unspectacular moves. Do I feel we've improved? Slightly from a scheme standpoint. Do we still need an extra piece? Absolutely. Under normal circumstances, WCS would be a great backup C but he's too mentally weak and unmotivated IMO to relish being a bench spark.

Patrick Beverly should be the priority right now.

I don't think our draft was particularly good. None of those guys are NBA caliber players. Guy is simply too small, a defensive liability and not a playmaker. The other two are also G league material and not with any upside to speak of.

solid if very unspectacular moves. Do I feel we've improved? Slightly from a scheme standpoint. Do we still need an extra piece? Absolutely. Under normal circumstances, WCS would be a great backup C but he's too mentally weak and unmotivated IMO to relish being a bench spark.

Patrick Beverly should be the priority right now.
How does someone imagine the minute distribution working with Beverley signed?

Fox - 31 mpg
Beverley - 27 mpg
Hield - 32 mpg
Bogdan - 28 mpg
Barnes - 34 mpg
Ariza - 34 mpg
Bagley - 25 mpg
Bjelica - 23 mpg
Dedmon - 25 mpg
Giles - 14 mpg

That’s 273 minutes when you can only play 240, and I think it’s reasonable to expect Fox, Bagley, and Giles will get more minutes this year which means you may see guys like Barnes, Ariza, and Bjelica have less minutes but when you sit down and actually go through the minute distribution, you’re likely going to end up with someone who is unhappy on the roster.

You have to careful with those situations as you don’t want it to affect your locker room.

I did not know much about Dedmon, other than he played for the Hawks. And as I read the statistical comparisons & analyses between WCS and Dedmon posted by members on this forum , it appeared both had strengths and weaknesses but overall they were comparable. However, there is a distinct difference between the two when looking at their respective histories.

Dedmon has demonstrated a very strong work ethic and desire to improve! He has come from humble beginnings (played for many teams and started in the G league) and improved statistically every year. He has earned this contract, in my opinion due to his hard work, and he is on an upward trend toward further improvement.

WCS, in my opinion, has simply relied more on his athletic gifts for his success to this point. I wish WCS the best, but I am really looking forward to Dedmon's contributions to the Kings and witnessing his continuing upward trend! I think its a perfect signing, all things considered.

I like this signing. The Kings seem to be following the GSW blueprint, which is great!

Draft your young core star players (Fox, Bagley, Buddy, and Giles) and fill in around them with veterans that compliment your core.

I think the Kings make the playoffs next year if all the young guys take a step forward in their progression. ;)

Love the signing. Dedmon is damn good and this properly puts Giles in a position to succeed, which would be made super difficult with a maxed Horford/Vuc/Capela type aboard. These partial guarantees have been great too; gives us the out if we want it right when Fox and Giles get extensions.

How does someone imagine the minute distribution working with Beverley signed?

Fox - 31 mpg
Beverley - 27 mpg
Hield - 32 mpg
Bogdan - 28 mpg
Barnes - 34 mpg
Ariza - 34 mpg
Bagley - 25 mpg
Bjelica - 23 mpg
Dedmon - 25 mpg
Giles - 14 mpg

That’s 273 minutes when you can only play 240, and I think it’s reasonable to expect Fox, Bagley, and Giles will get more minutes this year which means you may see guys like Barnes, Ariza, and Bjelica have less minutes but when you sit down and actually go through the minute distribution, you’re likely going to end up with someone who is unhappy on the roster.

You have to careful with those situations as you don’t want it to affect your locker room.
Downtown would burn to the ground if Bagley only gets 25 mpg this year

You could start by cutting Ariza's and Bjelly's minutes in half.
Ariza isn't going to be playing 34 minutes as a back-up sf.

We need to add some solid defense, especially a guard.
Now you’re down to 245 minutes (5 over) without the minutes of Fox, Bagley, or Giles going up at all from last season.

Keep going...

Entity

Hall of Famer
Now you’re down to 245 minutes (5 over) without the minutes of Fox, Bagley, or Giles going up at all from last season.

Keep going...
I’d imagine with actual real backups at real positions now. You will only see backup min from Bjelica and Ariza. I think more like 12 min with situational dependence of course. Quiet possibly some DNP’s for Bjelica. Will still see some small ball at times with Bagley at center and bogi at SF. That’s how bogi gets his up plus all the sg backup min.

Fox 34
Buddy 32
Bogi 27
Barnes 34
Bagley 34
Dedmon 24
Giles 25
Ariza 13
Bjelica 10
Pg? 13

Think the assumption of kings struggling in the half court will get shattered early on this year. Bagley was a beast in his rookie year. Fox progress pluse a big jump in bagley roll equals well oiled offensive machine
We'll find out; offense was not the problem last year after years of it being the problem before.

Not a chance. My guess is they're looking for possible S&T opportunities. You don't pay a 3/40 for a starting caliber C the first minute of free agency if you weren't looking to move on.
Well, I'll wait until Stein is actually let go. Stein has value defensively as a pick-and-roll and perimeter defender; he's an elite athlete for his size - I think the Kings could still keep him (especially if another team gives a half-heart offer)., and then figure out minutes distribution. Good to have options.

I’d imagine with actual real backups at real positions now. You will only see backup min from Bjelica and Ariza. I think more like 12 min with situational dependence of course. Quiet possibly some DNP’s for Bjelica. Will still see some small ball at times with Bagley at center and bogi at SF. That’s how bogi gets his up plus all the sg backup min.

Fox 34
Buddy 32
Bogi 27
Barnes 34
Bagley 34
Dedmon 24
Giles 25
Ariza 13
Bjelica 10
Pg? 13
So Beverley is only going to play 13 minutes?

The poster mentioned signing Beverley and I asked how the minute distribution work. He’s been playing 27-30 mpg for the last few seasons.

A salary dump deal for a future pick would be a good fit right about now.

Entity

Hall of Famer
So Beverley is only going to play 13 minutes?

The poster mentioned signing Beverley and I asked how the minute distribution work. He’s been playing 27-30 mpg for the last few seasons.

A salary dump deal for a future pick would be a good fit right about now.
If we got Beverly which we aren’t then bogi would be the biggest loser here. He would drop to 18-20 and Beverly up to 20. But I’d be fine with a bogi trade btw. I don’t get the love fest with him as being part of the core. 13 pts in 27 min for 2 years? I think we could get same production from our 2nd rounder Justin James.

They have ALOT of members and terrible mods. KF's which i love is a better place to have in depth conversation along with STR which is freakin awesome.
I’m not lying when I this, I was on the board last year and there was 1 specific Dallas fan who absolutely hated Luka Doncic. He was very ignorant and racist. He argued with everyone there all the time, talking about over 100 pages of argument fueled from his idiocracy. He would say things like “Luka would never make it into the NBA because like all Europeans, he’s an inferior athlete to Americans.” “Luka is going to bust like Darko because he’s a European.” “If he played in college, he wouldn’t even average over 10ppg because he’s so inferior to American athletes.” “People only like Luka because he’s white.” The guy said a ton more awful things I can’t think of off the top of my head, but somehow through all of it... he never got banned. Like wtf? They would “issue warnings” that never went anywhere while he just continued to spew his BS literally creating over a hundred pages of everyone telling him he needs to STFU. He would come back every week and repeat the same sentiments and get everyone riled up again. The modding there is freaking horrific.

Realgm sucks...

If we got Beverly which we aren’t then bogi would be the biggest loser here. He would drop to 18-20 and Beverly up to 20. But I’d be fine with a bogi trade btw. I don’t get the love fest with him as being part of the core. 13 pts in 27 min for 2 years? I think we could get same production from our 2nd rounder Justin James.
Is pts the only thing you look at when it comes to value on the floor?

Again, if you’re dropping the mins to 18-20 for Bogdan and Beverley, dropping Ariza to 13 mins, & Bjelica to 10 min, you could begin to have some guys start to complain about their minutes. It can become a distraction. It’s happened before and it can happen again.

Barnes did 14 pts in 33 minutes in 1/3 of the year. just saying.

Entity

Hall of Famer

Again, if you’re dropping the mins to 18-20 for Bogdan and Beverley, dropping Ariza to 13 mins, & Bjelica to 10 min, you could begin to have some guys start to complain about their minutes. It can become a distraction. It’s happened before and it can happen again.
Pts for bogi is what you have to look at when he dribbles the ball for 16 seconds then heaves a shot. He only get 3 ast in those 27 min. Below average defense. Am I missing something he is doing? I have seen every game.

Justin James is not an NBA caliber player. He's nothing more than a perennial g leaguer at best. To say that he can replace a quality player like Bogi is straight A bull.

Pts for bogi is what you have to look at when he dribbles the ball for 16 seconds then heaves a shot. He only get 3 ast in those 27 min. Below average defense. Am I missing something he is doing? I have seen every game.
It's what the Kings were doing. They ran pointless off screen calls and dribble handoffs rather than just running a pick and roll at the start of the play. Instead, they ran a pick and roll with 8 seconds left giving them one option. Much better than the previous years plays but it started getting ugly at the end of the year with all the post up play.

I'm not following your logic here. So Vlade should acquire less talented players that are ok with playing limited minutes so the Kings have a better shot at making the playoffs?

I am not terribly familiar with Dedmon. Any reason the hawks didn’t seem that interested in re-signing him? They just drafted a project c in the 2nd round and they have Alex Len but looks like they will now need a center?
They’re going young. Dedmon’s not exactly old, but he will be (old) by the time the youngsters are ready for a playoff run. His age just fits better with our front court.

Justin James is not an NBA caliber player. He's nothing more than a perennial g leaguer at best. To say that he can replace a quality player like Bogi is straight A bull.
Good point about him not being a replacement for Bogi. But b.s. for saying James has nothing to offer. Let’s give him a chance before we tar and feather him.

Status
Not open for further replies.