Kings sign Dedmon 3 years 40 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think his options right now are to find a team willing to work out a sign and trade, take the QO and wait til next year or sign with a team and likely get matched and traded at New Year's as soon as he's eligible. I'm guessing the Dedmon signing is also a huge wakeup to his market value.
He painted himself into this corner. If he ends up with just the qo, he needs to learn to show up every game and accept a role else could be plain unwanted next year. Someone else wondered who he had around him giving him advise and direction... I'm hoping that Luke can connect with him and give him some tough love. I think Luke can relate to the free spirit thing but obviously learned how to prioritize for success.

And Jonas would fit the Kings how? By doing what Bagley does but not as efficiently?

Oh wait...checks username...ok I get it.

Bagley and Dedmon are way more similar than Jonas and Bagley. The one issue with Dedmon is he still doesn't bring that beef to the center spot and that was a detriment at times last year. Obviously there would have been issues offensively although Jonas as a screener is top shelf so it would have made a difference. Dedmon is an OK screening big but he's more comfortable slipping and rolling. Dedmon is a stretch 5 essentially so they better take advantage of it and spread the dang floor for De'Aaron!

Does not git anything the kings are doing with there roster but maybe he is worth it for the grizzlies roster.
The advantage of building with JJJ is that he covers rim protection and has the tools to create on the perimeter. We are more restricted on who we can pair with Bagley.

Not impressed by Dedmon, but who am I... He's one of those guys that to me if he doesn't get minutes he will be one of those guys that fall flat. Never had been impressed with him. Hopefully I am wrong!

And Jonas would fit the Kings how? By doing what Bagley does but not as efficiently?

Oh wait...checks username...ok I get it.
How would Jonas NOT fit? He's more productive at every level, and his size makes him more effective if the kings ever make it to the playoffs. The Kings are going to get bodied inside if they make it that far. The Kings rely on the break so much (which starts at the defensive glass), because they lack a half court deep offense which Jonas can help with as well as he's also a good passer.

I'm not sure what my username has to do with this.

How would Jonas NOT fit? He's more productive at every level, and his size makes him more effective if the kings ever make it to the playoffs. The Kings are going to get bodied inside if they make it that far. The Kings rely on the break so much (which starts at the defensive glass), because they lack a half court deep offense which Jonas can help with as well as he's also a good passer.

Think the assumption of kings struggling in the half court will get shattered early on this year. Bagley was a beast in his rookie year. Fox progress pluse a big jump in bagley roll equals well oiled offensive machine

More like Marvin Bustly amirite?
I honestly don't even understand half the takes on here. I mean, the whole Jaren Jackson can create better than Marvin is just so lazy. By the end of the year Bagley was showing SO much potential creating out of the block or from the wing and Jackson was....injured.

Even just going off potential, on the offensive end Bagley showed more potential creating and scoring than Jackson from pretty much any spot, and with or without the ball (especially with the ball for Bagley as Jackson benefitted a lot from being set up for easy looks).

On defense Jackson showed better awareness but me personally, I feel like a lot of that is coaching. Jackson is longer but Bagley is more athletic.

They both are going to be really good but Bagley shows so much more #1 option than Jackson its not funny to compare the two. In the right system Bagley could average 25-28 and 11-13 boards and just clean house on the offensive glass every night. I have rarely seen a player with so much potential chasing/corraling long shots as I have with Bagley. His hands are so soft and grippy. He is the anti Jason Thompson/Kosta (hands of brick).

Does not fit anything the kings are doing with there roster but maybe he is worth it for the grizzlies roster.
I just do not understand how. He secures rebounds which sparks the fastbreak. He's a better inside defender and rebounder than Willie. He's a better offensive threat than any center the kings have (MB is a pf). He won't get destroyed by guys like AD, Ayton, Jokic, etc. Eh whatever.

Think the assumption of kings struggling in the half court will get shattered early on this year. Bagley was a beast in his rookie year. Fox progress pluse a big jump in bagley roll equals well oiled offensive machine
Fox and MB played sparingly together as he was coming off the bench most of the year. So we aren't going to see a well oiled offense. Plus Luke is notorious for not really having a deep offense in the half court. He's going to rely a lot on individual talent and transitions.

His hands are so soft and grippy. He is the anti Jason Thompson/Kosta (hands of brick).
Giles has excellent soft hands as well. It is amazing at the NBA level the variance in hands and being able to catch the ball amongst big men. It's really what separates most of the great ones and allows them to finish lobs or the pick-n-roll.

WCS probably had average hands at best and he tends to fumble the ball a lot in traffic. Kosta as we know just has awful hands and it's too bad because his basketball IQ is very good but it's just painful to continually see him drop/fumble wide open passes on a silver platter.

Fox and MB played sparingly together as he was coming off the bench most of the year. So we aren't going to see a well oiled offense. Plus Luke is notorious for not really having a deep offense in the half court. He's going to rely a lot on individual talent and transitions.

Prior to LeBron he ran some of the same stuff Joerger did prior to last year. Like Horn sets. If that's the idea, Vlade did him no favors up to this point. Horford or Vucevic? Sure. Dedmon and Ariza? Nope, nope, nope. In fact Dedmon isn't even the passer Willie is. Igor knows how this should go. Spread it and clear the middle.

I honestly don't even understand half the takes on here. I mean, the whole Jaren Jackson can create better than Marvin is just so lazy. By the end of the year Bagley was showing SO much potential creating out of the block or from the wing and Jackson was....injured.

Even just going off potential, on the offensive end Bagley showed more potential creating and scoring than Jackson from pretty much any spot, and with or without the ball (especially with the ball for Bagley as Jackson benefitted a lot from being set up for easy looks).

On defense Jackson showed better awareness but me personally, I feel like a lot of that is coaching. Jackson is longer but Bagley is more athletic.

They both are going to be really good but Bagley shows so much more #1 option than Jackson its not funny to compare the two. In the right system Bagley could average 25-28 and 11-13 boards and just clean house on the offensive glass every night. I have rarely seen a player with so much potential chasing/corraling long shots as I have with Bagley. His hands are so soft and grippy. He is the anti Jason Thompson/Kosta (hands of brick).
Yes, Bagley has much more potential as a go-to scorer and is a much better rebounder. I did not mean that Jackson is better than him in every way, but as far as pairing with a larger variety of big men, yes, you can put almost any type of big man next to Jackson with the exception of a weak rebounder (where he does need help).

JV paired with Bagley would only clog up the inside. Bagley was looking decent from 3 when he caught the ball wide open with his feet set. Jackson was creating 3's on step-backs, it's fine to put him out there while Jonas plays inside. With Bagley, it would be dumb to have him camp out at the line with much regularity considering his strength scoring in the post. There were only a handful of guys available, Dedmon being one of them, who could open up the floor for Bagley and also be a shotblocking threat. Luckily, we got one and Bagley's game should flourish as a result.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I just do not understand how. He secures rebounds which sparks the fastbreak. He's a better inside defender and rebounder than Willie. He's a better offensive threat than any center the kings have (MB is a pf). He won't get destroyed by guys like AD, Ayton, Jokic, etc. Eh whatever.
AD, Ayton, and jokic. That is New Orleans, Phoenix, and Denver. Atlanta with Dedmon was 5-0 against those teams last season. They lost early against Denver but Dedmon did not play that game. So apparently he didn’t get to destroyed

Sigh. Where to begin.

Start with "Showtime". Only basketball team that uses the moniker showtime is....

Jonas is not a floor stretcher. He is a higher volume big with numbers that show he has reached his peak. His asst% hasn't shown the development of Dedmon. In fact Dedmon has shown over the last 2 years that his performance is on the rise when given the minutes. Even Hawks fans will tell you, Dedmon is worth more wins than an overused and over utilized bust of a 5th pick than Valunciunus (to and from Raptor fans).

I am not terribly familiar with Dedmon. Any reason the hawks didn’t seem that interested in re-signing him? They just drafted a project c in the 2nd round and they have Alex Len but looks like they will now need a center?

Yes, Bagley has much more potential as a go-to scorer and is a much better rebounder. I did not mean that Jackson is better than him in every way, but as far as pairing with a larger variety of big men, yes, you can put almost any type of big man next to Jackson with the exception of a weak rebounder (where he does need help).

JV paired with Bagley would only clog up the inside. Bagley was looking decent from 3 when he caught the ball wide open with his feet set. Jackson was creating 3's on step-backs, it's fine to put him out there while Jonas plays inside. With Bagley, it would be dumb to have him camp out at the line with much regularity considering his strength scoring in the post. There were only a handful of guys available, Dedmon being one of them, who could open up the floor for Bagley and also be a shotblocking threat. Luckily, we got one and Bagley's game should flourish as a result.
I get it but your initial post sounded like a slight towards Bagley as far as his future potential vs Jackson. I LOVE Jackson and am rooting for him but I don't think he has the potential to impact the game as much as Bagley can. I am glad he went to Memphis (as opposed to a larger market) and hope they can put a solid team around him. JV is a great pairing for him as he is more perimeter oriented on offense than Bagley (which JV and Bagley would be a horrible fit).

My only gripe is I don't think he is capable of "creating" from the perimeter more than Bagley. Marvin has shown he has the ability to do a step back, it just isn't there yet for him. I look at year one as an experiment.

I mean, I would hate to be someone like sacrowndog and say Fox can't be special passing the ball because of a personal binder.

The food ones show glimpses and put in the work and come back and show the glimpses and the work were for a reason. The not so good ones (Tyreke, Jimmer) come back and show the glimpses were fools gold.

I am not terribly familiar with Dedmon. Any reason the hawks didn’t seem that interested in re-signing him? They just drafted a project c in the 2nd round and they have Alex Len but looks like they will now need a center?
Probably because he wasn't a difference maker for them with where they are at. They are off to a solid rebuild start with some nice young prospects and a TON of space moving forward.

I think this definitely means WCS is out, considering that we have Bagley and Giles as two bright future stars and Dedmon who is paid nicely. I don't know much about the guy, but based on his moves, it looks like he can run alongside Fox, play some pick and pop, shoot the threes and play solid defense.

We kept talking how we need a better center to be able to reach the playoffs, so hopefully this is it. I was hoping for Vucevic or Horford, sad we couldn't land any of those two.

Len was actually pretty good last year. He was a lot like Dedmon in that he was a good defender and shooter but he was already under contract and younger. Not to mention they have Plumlee and Fernando at C as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.